PDA

View Full Version : Lifan kp200 engine light codes?

Aztecrey3
07-26-2018, 03:00 PM
I'm new to this forum, but thought someone out there might be able to help.

I have a 2017 Lifan kp200, bought it 4 months ago, has 1700 miles on it now and I'm getting a service engine light. Does anyone know what 3 long flashes means?

The closest place that will service the bike is about 3 hours away.

When I start the bike it won't hold an idle until after several minutes of revving the engine.

Any help is really appreciated, let me know if more info is needed.:thanks:

Weldangrind
07-27-2018, 10:48 AM
Welcome!
Wow, I've never heard of a Lifan with a CEL. May we see a pic of the bike and the CEL?

Aztecrey3
07-27-2018, 12:22 PM
Here is a pic of the bike and console with check engine light.13741

Gh426
07-27-2018, 12:50 PM
Is there an obd II port?

Ebay sells bluetooth/phone readers... best $8. I'VE SPENT! No more trips to the Stealership.

RedCrowRides
07-27-2018, 05:50 PM
Maybe HumanBeing will wander by and help ,that guy is a beast on rare knowledge.

culcune
07-29-2018, 09:37 AM
I am just speculating on simpler causes, although you didn't say if you had done so or not, but have you had a oil change or valve adjustment since you bought the bike? Like a car, could it be the gas cap?

You are the first person on here with this bike, so I doubt you will get anything solid from us, unless someone who joined in the past year who has not posted has one, and chimes in. Have you called your dealer? Have you called American Lifan?

Azhule
07-29-2018, 10:34 AM
Places I would start...

Low Mileage, unknown maintenance, unknown/unreadable CEL, problem gets better as the engine/system heats up...

Check for: Valve Clearance, vacuum leaks (including but not limited to, the intake to head and head to exhaust pipe), dirty throttle plate/Idle Control Valve, poor wire/sensor connections, dirty ground wires, bad gas, poor fuel injector spray pattern, top off and "burp" the coolant system if needed.

Cheap things you can do:

Check and set the Valve clearance

Potent fuel system cleaner (NOT Sta-bil Red or SeaFoam, think Techron/PEA type cleaners) and fresh Top Tier Fuel of the correct grade to help clean up carbon deposits and correct the fuel injector spray pattern

Spark Plug... if it's the stock China/Lifan spark plug... it might be time to upgrade it to one of a KNOWN brand (Denso or NGK Iridium is what I like to get in all my engines)... some of the China Bikes have been known to have fake NGK Coppers in them... you can tell by the color and lettering they use on the spark plug if it's a fake or real NGK spark plug... either way, if you have a Copper plug, upgrade it to Iridium and never worry about spark plugs again :hehe:

Throttle Body cleaning... do not buy cheapo Carb Cleaner... get a Throttle Body and Air Intake system cleaner as these wont do harm to modern day sensors or the coating on the Throttle like carb cleaner will

Gh426
07-29-2018, 01:09 PM
Azhule forgot ABS err code, clean off lil sensor watchin rotor.

Aztecrey3
07-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all your comments! Tried dealership, they said it could be battery or stator, but battery holds a charge and stator seems to be working properly.
Since the bike dies when I first start if up in the mornings, I think it has something to do with EFI or maybe Mass Airflow Sensor. Took it for a ride yesterday, seemed to run just fine. Held an idle after it "warmed up", shifted fine, accelerated no problems.
I can't find port to use a reader, so the only clue I'm given is the CEL flashes (3 long flashes).
My plan is to figure out problem, fix it and then upgrade to a larger cc bike (400cc or 500cc). Bike tops out between 60-65 and I have to travel on several roads where speed limit is 65, cars pass me doing closer to 70 or faster sometimes.
Looking forward to riding on a bike where I can at least keep up with flow of traffic and still have more to get out of unsafe situations.

Thanks again for all you input, his seems like a great group of riders that try looking out for one another.

Keep Riding - Stay Safe - Enjoy Life

david3921
07-29-2018, 11:23 PM
Try disconnecting the battery, wait 10 minutes, and then reconnect. It may reset the system as it works on cars and trucks sometimes.

Aztecrey3
08-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Is there an obd II port?

Ebay sells bluetooth/phone readers... best $8. I'VE SPENT! No more trips to the Stealership.

No OBD II port that I have able to find. Wish I could so at least I could diagnose what the problem is.

Aztecrey3
08-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a service manual for this Lifan KP200? Been searching for days with no luck. I haven't done work on bikes before, so I'd like to know how to check/set the valves. As well as find out where the air flow sensor us so I can clean it.

I've changes the oil, checked the spark plug, checked O2 sensor, radiator fluid, battery and stator. Lifan dealership told me it as probably the battery and/or stator, but haven't been able to provide any other suggestions. I've called almost every motorcycle device shop around my area, but none will service or even help to diagnose.

Help from this forum is the only help I've received and I only hope I can get a little more. Thanks everyone! PS - I've never worked on bike repairs before, but done plenty of work on cars.

culcune
08-12-2018, 03:19 AM
My friend Alan Tang works for a distributor, and one of the product line they distribute is Lifan. He works a few miles from American Lifan's hq in the L.A. area. He knows the guy running American Lifan personally. Call him, and see if he can find a manual (it won't be as in depth as a Chilton's is my guess, or get the answer you seek as far as code. Excalibur Motorsports 909-591-8800

Azhule
08-12-2018, 11:53 AM
it won't be as in depth as a Chilton's is my guess

Chilton and Haynes go so far in depth they usually forget what car/model and engine/trans they are working on... almost every one of those books I have looked through had dozens if not hundreds of major faults... torque specs, service limits, removal/installation process, every section seems flooded with the wrong info

:hehe: do your next project a favor and forget about Chilton/Haynes books and go back to those expensive Factory Service Manuals :D (and yes... I know that Chilton/Haynes also offer a "FSM" line for certain vehicles...)