PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Upgrade Etc.

RedCrowRides
08-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Got a OEM Honda Grom rearwheel axle and nut in today and a set of the internal chain adjusters ,so thought I'd install them along with some stand spools I had and some axle blocks /skid plates.
The axle and nut fit perfect ,the internal adjusters were a real tight fit i had to grease them and whup them into the tubes .Anyways I finally managed to git er done .This is how it looked Stock.14008

RedCrowRides
08-21-2018, 07:52 PM
And this is after installing the new axle, nut, internal adjusters, and external adjusters and blocks.This is with everything in place, but not yet snugged down and torqued to spec.14009

RedCrowRides
08-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Looking at these pix I see how much i really need to pull the wheels and paint them or powder coat them a metallic blue . Great, another "To Do" item to go on the List lmao.
I need to get the blue stainless steel brake lines installed too still ,argh.

kirbo7106
08-22-2018, 01:55 PM
Looking at these pix I see how much i really need to pull the wheels and paint them or powder coat them a metallic blue . Great, another "To Do" item to go on the List lmao.

Ok RedCrow, every time you add to your “To Do” list, you are just adding to my “To Do” list! I’m still going through your Parts list! :ohno:

We are going to need some videos! :)

Enjoy the Ride!

Chinabike
08-22-2018, 04:06 PM

Nice. how is adjusting the chain?
powder coat them a metallic blue, that would look good.

RedCrowRides
08-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Adjusting the chain is fine, but how tight the internal adjusters are makes what should be a fingertip job with the new style parts require a wrench still ,but it's not that big a deal. The "problem" is, on the stock internal adjusters , the adjuster bolt is centered .On a Grom ,which is what all these parts are actually made to fit, the adjuster bolt is one size smaller ,and it is also offset to one side. So, I opted to order Grom internal adjusters ,but now knowing how tight they fit, if I were to do it again, I'd just drill a centered hole ,and fill in the offset hole with JB Weld or Liquid Steel etc and then touch up paint it ,so the adjusters wouldn't end up being so tight .No more often than I need to adjust a chain it's not a huge deal but I want people to learn from my mistakes as I go through this Build ,and find what fits, what doesn't, and what "will " fit but needs modification or adjustment , etc.

So yeah , I'm okay with how it turned out but were I to do it again I'd skip swapping the internal adjusters and drill a hole in the aftermarket part ,and fill in the original offset one . The Grom rear axle and nut are a perfect fit and are a much better quality , so that part is straight switch and cheap, i highly recommend it.

Chinabike
08-22-2018, 10:03 PM
Adjusting the chain is fine, but how tight the internal adjusters are makes what should be a fingertip job with the new style parts require a wrench still ,but it's not that big a deal. The "problem" is, on the stock internal adjusters , the adjuster bolt is centered .On a Grom ,which is what all these parts are actually made to fit, the adjuster bolt is one size smaller ,and it is also offset to one side. So, I opted to order Grom internal adjusters ,but now knowing how tight they fit, if I were to do it again, I'd just drill a centered hole ,and fill in the offset hole with JB Weld or Liquid Steel etc and then touch up paint it ,so the adjusters wouldn't end up being so tight .No more often than I need to adjust a chain it's not a huge deal but I want people to learn from my mistakes as I go through this Build ,and find what fits, what doesn't, and what "will " fit but needs modification or adjustment , etc.

So yeah , I'm okay with how it turned out but were I to do it again I'd skip swapping the internal adjusters and drill a hole in the aftermarket part ,and fill in the original offset one . The Grom rear axle and nut are a perfect fit and are a much better quality , so that part is straight switch and cheap, i highly recommend it.

I would have to see the adjuster, i'm not a sure i understand ill have to read thought your comment again. But i do have grom chain tensioner in now and how they were tight to get in.

RedCrowRides
08-23-2018, 08:20 AM
Picture a pack of cigarettes . The Vaders hole for the chain adjuster bolt is a 10mm hole, in the dead middle of the cigarette pack. The cigarette pack is the end plate that fits in the swingarm.

On a Grom , the same bolt hole is 8mm ,and offset to the right .So for a stock Vader internal adjuster to work, you'd have to drill a centered, 10mm hole ,because the centered 10mm stock bolt wont go thru a offset to the right 8mm hole .

Or , you can switch out the internal chain adjusters to Grom ones ,but they are a really tight fit. There "is" more than enough "meat" on the Grom internal adjusters to sand or mill them down enough to allow them to slide more easily so that could easily be done and I will probably go back and do that over the winter but it's good how it is for now.

Chinabike
08-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Picture a pack of cigarettes . The Vaders hole for the chain adjuster bolt is a 10mm hole, in the dead middle of the cigarette pack. The cigarette pack is the end plate that fits in the swingarm.

On a Grom , the same bolt hole is 8mm ,and offset to the right .So for a stock Vader internal adjuster to work, you'd have to drill a centered, 10mm hole ,because the centered 10mm stock bolt wont go thru a offset to the right 8mm hole .

Or , you can switch out the internal chain adjusters to Grom ones ,but they are a really tight fit. There "is" more than enough "meat" on the Grom internal adjusters to sand or mill them down enough to allow them to slide more easily so that could easily be done and I will probably go back and do that over the winter but it's good how it is for now.

Oh i understand.
So you have the grom chain adjusters in your bike with the external adjusters and blocks ?

"Grom internal adjusters to sand or mill them down enough to allow them to slide more easily so that could easily be done":

Let me know if you do, i wouldn't mind trying that

RedCrowRides
08-23-2018, 06:16 PM
Yeah exactly ! I put the OEM Grom internal adjusters in, and then added the end plate aftermarket part / and swingarm spools to them.The blocks you see on the actual axle bolt is a separate part,those are sold separate ,I mostly put them there as a skid /crash guard ,you could use the stock ones .

kirbo7106
09-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Hey RedCrowRides, did you install your 17 tooth Sprocket and chain? If so, how many links is the chain with the 17 tooth Sprocket?

RedCrowRides
09-02-2018, 06:41 PM
@Kirbo - to tell you the truth I have a "gold" chain and i also have a 17 tooth countersprocket but havent installed either one yet .

However, i DO recall researching the sprocket / chain swap and install and i went with this chain https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Motorcycle-428-x-136-O-Ring-Heavy-Duty-Drive-Chain-428H-136L-Gold/321318221273?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It is a 136 link, which is way longer than what you will need ,but I have a chain breaker and its a lot easier to make a too long chain shorter than it is to make a too short chain longer ,and it wasn't real expensive. Maybe someone with an exact link count from the swap can chime in and give you more info ,I havent put my 17t on because my top end speed is not as limiting as i thought it would be and i do a lot of stunting and i need torque more than terminal velocity , i will likely install the chain but i am on the fence leaning towards the " Not now" on putting the 17t front sprocket on. Of course that's entirely subject to change but i am wanting to get my Mikuni carb package on it before i make the final call ,to be honest maybe i just got a "good one" but im not unhappy with the bike at all atm and all i have managed to do is get the pipe on it as far as mods that arent shiny things to look at lol!

kirbo7106
09-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Nothing wrong with “Shiney”! :tup: