PDA

View Full Version : Does the OEM GROM SWINGARM fit the vader/boom 125?

Zebinheimer
09-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Looking at a few used/aftermarket swingarms that are pretty reasonable ($100-200) some of them on ebay are cnc alu. Wonderinv if these are a good "bolt on" upgrade

The main motivation is to have a tougher swingarm/shock bracket couples with more usable chain tensioners.

RedCrowRides
09-09-2018, 02:31 PM
I believe Bizmoto has a video on youtube that covers this swap, i believe all he had to do was some minor bushing milling as it was just a bit too wide to fit into the Vader frame ,so you'd need access to a machine shop or other way to accurately machine down the outside bushings .So basically the answer is yes it will fit, but will or may require a small bit of work in the way of adapting / modifying the bushings . On Facebook i think he posted on the Zs190 swap group page that he took about 1/16" to 1/8" off the length on either side of the outermost bronze bushings ,but due to the variation in china bikes I'd highly recommend you measuring your own to keep it centered , etc.

wlfpck may have some additional info on the subject , he is pretty heavy into the Zs190 swap info and swingarm replacement on Clones is pretty common when people plan on swapping in the Zs190. ,so keep checking your thread and see if he stops by and posts more info.

wlfpck
09-10-2018, 09:00 AM
I haven't replaced my swingarm just because I haven't gotten around to it.

Most people on the ZS190 pages are using the Kepspeed one from motorkit. These swingarms are pretty good quality and haven't really heard of anyone needing to do any modifications to install it.

Like RedCrowRides... there are some variations in the Chinese Grom Clones. You may need to do small modifications. So no guarantees.

I will say though that the Ebay swingarms are something to be careful with. CNC alunimum strength will depend on the grade of Aluminum. Last thing you want is to be riding along and the swingarm snaps. Personally, if I were to buy one on eBay... I'd get one that copies the aftermarket Grom swingarm designs (see Kepspeed swingarm at motorkit). With these, I'd assume that testing has been done to ensure the design is adequately holding all the stress/strain/forces.