PDA

View Full Version : Top speeds?

tnoffroader
02-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Some of the chinese dirt bikes have speed claims of 55 mph plus, 65 mph plus, even seen one with 90 mph which I know is false. A 250cc dirt bike, chinese version like a roketa, lifan, or other models can they actualy get to 50 mph? Thanks for any info The bike I am seriously looking at is on powersportsmax. Modeldb-d055 250cc. Roketa brand. Looks to be pretty stout, not to mention about $4500.00 cheaper than a honda.

TeamCheap
02-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Our lf200gy-5's will get up to around 65-70MPH no problem except they are screaming at that speed but yeah they will do that and will cruise at 50-55 with no problems at all.

I myself find it very exillirating to run the top speeds knowing that the bike could shear an axle bolt or the swing arm bolt for no apparent reason.It really adds to the excitement :lol: .

tnoffroader
02-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Is that to say that those two bolts need to be replaced, I work for a caterpillar dealer and the bolts we have could not be broke by a dirt bike. Its hard enough for them to be broke by a dozer.

culcune
02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Change as many of the bolts you can get your hands on, right away, before riding! Locktite as well!!

culcune
02-12-2008, 04:48 PM
BTW, that bike is the same as the Hummer dirt bike, and is supposed to be fairly stout. 55mph seems like a very reasonable claim for this particular bike...I would almost bet money that it could go a little faster, maybe hitting 65, maxed out.

kelly5150
02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Thats kinda funny to hear 55 MPH on a 250cc dirt bike from China ?
No problem doing that speed and then much more on mine , 55 is slow .
If it had taller gears it would do even more than that . (90mph ) would be BS, but 65 to 75 feels realistic .
I think the Hummer shoudl fly too , am sure it is the same motor as the Viva ?

Cherrios, Kelly

culcune
02-12-2008, 09:38 PM
I think Roketa, Hummer, and Viva are generally the same bike, if I am not mistaken. It might be SunL instead of Viva (no I am serious :lol: ) that have this same frame/bike. From what I've seen, they seem to be a good value for the $$.

tnoffroader
02-13-2008, 07:03 AM
Kelly 5150 which model roketa dirt bike do you have, and what issues withe bike if any have you had?

kelly5150
02-13-2008, 11:12 AM
It is a Viva 250 Preditor, X-Moto , or whatever you want to name it. I call it the Beast, for a good reason, its pretty cool and powerful .
It isn't a Roketa its distributed through Viva-Motors . The Canadian version is put out by GIO . I think on E-Bay they are still trying to sell them as I type this . I can attest this is a very well made bike, strong, large and powerful . Not an RM250 by far, but it still gets on it ! :lol:
I do believe it has the same motor as the Roketa or Hummer .
The SUNL bike that looks like the Hummer is not the same motor , look closely, it isn't anything like it, and it also has inverted shifter like on a Cafe racer streetbike, reaching back to the footpegs with reverse linkage.
Go to ATV Diescounter and see the picture of the 250 SUNL and it looks like a Hummer, but it aint if you look real close. Nor does it have the ugly engine frame cairage the Hummer has. JMHO on that though .

Later, SUNL125 time

culcune
02-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Kelly, I think that's the problem with SunL. They should have just gone with a common OEM in China, but seems like they want to do things a little different (probably to ensure exclusive, rather than interchangeable, parts sales). However, if the idea was to sell parts, they failed miserably..which is pretty low in terms of Chinese bikes! :lol:

Hopefully, they have turned around somewhat, and I look forward to hearing about your new SunL toy.

tnoffroader
02-13-2008, 05:41 PM
I know I am asking alot of questions, but how is the acceleration on these chinese bikes, can they sorta keep up with their japan cousins? How about enough power for wheelies?

kelly5150
02-13-2008, 09:06 PM
No , they cannot keep up with a YZ or RM or KTM or CR in acceleration , but they poop ( yes poop ) wheelies all day long, night too ! :lol:
Sort of keep up with thier Japenese cousins is a good description as you so put . They are plenty fast if thats your concern , and they have lots of GRUNT , they are low geared four stroked , so that is a natural for them . The caruretors and sprockets keep them from performing as well as they could . I stopped wanting to do 100 MPH in the dirt long ago after racing and wrecking too many times . These bikes are perfect for the casual dirt demon rider though , you'll be plenty happy and plenty impressed with thier fierceness in the dirt . Power they have . Top end speed, well, not like thier Japenese cousins, no they do not, but its close . Do the math, $1,300.00 China = $ 7,000.00 Japenese ? No !
Nice bikes, yes they are , especially the better ones like the Hummer, Viva , GIO , Orion .....

Cheers, Kelly5150 out

culcune
02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
tn, your best bet is to go to youtube and put in 250 hummer bike, as well as other brand of bike searches. There was one guy's video who, admittedly, rode his really hard, and put in his description that he was out $2K, but then at the end of the video, said he was out $700, and had nothing but bad things to say about his Hummer, but then there were several others saying what a great buy it was. Again, as Kelly said, keep the price in mind, and understand that you will have to perform extra maintenance (i.e. checking for loose bolts all over the bike) that you wouldn't have to do with a far more expensive bike. Email the hummer owners on youtube and see if they still enjoy their bike from when they l posted their videos. There is one guy nicknamed 'toilit' who has posted many "action" shots of his Chinese dirt bike(s) and just posted a video of his brand new Hummer.

idcountryboy1
02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
the thing you need when you buy one of these lot of good bolts, ton of lock tite, jb-weld and very large kahon-e's lol well lock tite everything and put in realbolts and change the shifter they snap like a twig

MrMurray
02-17-2008, 07:21 AM
"No , they cannot keep up with a YZ or RM or KTM or CR in acceleration , but they poop ( yes poop ) wheelies all day long, night too !
Sort of keep up with thier Japenese cousins is a good description as you so put . They are plenty fast if thats your concern , and they have lots of GRUNT , they are low geared four stroked , so that is a natural for them . The caruretors and sprockets keep them from performing as well as they could . I stopped wanting to do 100 MPH in the dirt long ago after racing and wrecking too many times . These bikes are perfect for the casual dirt demon rider though , you'll be plenty happy and plenty impressed with thier fierceness in the dirt . Power they have . Top end speed, well, not like thier Japenese cousins, no they do not, but its close . Do the math, $1,300.00 China = $ 7,000.00 Japenese ? No !
Nice bikes, yes they are , especially the better ones like the Hummer, Viva , GIO , Orion ..... "

Hey Kelly5150,
I'm trying to decide between a Gio 250 (here in Canada), or buy a used Honda XR200 for about the same price. I know everyone tries to compare the china bike to CR's, RM's, etc., when realistically, you're not even talking about the same class of bike. So my question is: how does the Gio/Xmoto/Hummer etc compare to say a Honda XR200, CRF 230, Yamaha TTR 225? Let's compare apples to apples!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

kelly5150
02-17-2008, 12:38 PM
That would be an easy choice for me, now that I Owne one of those bikes and can attest to how nice they ride compaired to Japenese bikes.
One thing to consider in this debate or comparison is the very available parts of the Japenese bikes, ANY year you choose to buy, you can get allt he parts .
That being said, I have two places that I know of that stock parts for my entire Viva bike, whenever I want some too . You have GIO that I know also stocks every part for thier bikes, and even sells parts on E-Bay for them .
I am in the thinking new bike compaired to used bike here . I don't buy alot of used bikes , so I would buy a new XR, CRF, or TT way before I bought a used one in the first place . I like new bikes . Once in awhile I do buy old bikes, but never dirt bikes .
If you put soem better componants on the China bikes, good sprockets, etc, then I thinkt he bikes are quite comparable, and certainly cheaper .
This is toss up compairison, so you need to decide for yourself .
The Japenese stuff is built better, better parts supply, but the bikes your talking about are quite compairable to what we have and what we are looking at . Keep the Hummer out of this picture though, it doesn't look like the bikes were compairing or are talking about, whatsoever. That is the ugliest bike I have ever seen in my life, JMHO .
250 motor is the same, but thats it . Enough said.
I would buy the GIO, good company and lots of parts, new bike, awsome bike and lots of Nutts ! :lol:
I love mine, it rides great , very adjustable and is atall beast . Coems with massive ugraded parts, stock .
Longevity in motor lasting ability is yet to be determined, but its such a simple Motor, XR Honda , it will be a snap to rebuild when time comes anyway .

Thats jsut my two cents, worth one cent of course. Don't get me wrong, i like all the bikes you mentioned, the Japenese ones, but I don't buy used dirt bikes, so this is a no brainer. The fact i have the GIO-Viva and love it, makes it another no brainer for me..

Cheers out , kelly5150

MrMurray
02-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks, I appreciate your opinions. Actually I've ridden a Gio 250 already and it took whatever I threw at it. Of course, I haven't ridden a dirtbike in quite some time...I'm just a trail rider. The bike had a 19/16 wheel setup, buy Gio's can now be bought with 21/18 setup, which would be better for me as I'm about 6'1".

Does your Viva have 21/18 wheels? And if so, what's the seat height?

Thanks again :)

kelly5150
02-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes, it has 18" 21" set-up. Now I have to go out to the free-kin garage to measure the seat hight, at the lowest point mind you .
BACK ! :lol: 37" is the lowest part of the seat where you should be sitting , the dip in the seat, or is that the dip on the seat if your talking about me ? Its tall, I like it !
And I second the " it can take all I can throw at it " , me too . I gave up racing for real years ago , so am rusty but this bike can do for me what I can't do for myself . My Japenese bikes always amazed me too when I was just about to bite the big one, they took over and the suspension saved my butt . Same thing with this one, but a little less forgiving than the Japenese stuff . But, it still ahndles quite nicely , and its got power to spare , for me that is .

Cheers, Kelly5150

katoranger
02-18-2008, 08:07 PM
Kelly, I would have to disagree on the parts availability for Jap bikes for any year.

Honda is good about still making parts available, but they can be very expensive.

I was not able to buy alot of parts for a 1980 GS450 unless I found them either used or someone had one NOS leftover.

Parts for bikes less that 15 years old yes.

Allen

kelly5150
02-19-2008, 06:20 AM
Your right,
I was being kinda vague and generalizing I suppose ?
The parts are there for alot of older bikes, but your right, they can only be found if someone else has them besides the dealer .
Honda prices suck bad by the way, they are thieves on thier prices .
They wanted $14.00 for an axel bolt I needed ? What !!!!!! :twisted:
We went to a bolt and nut shop, $1.00 ................Now your talking !
Remember Hiroshima , thieves !!! LOL !

Later, thanks for correcting me by the way , Kelly5150 out

MrMurray
02-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Hi Kelly,

Thanks for going out in the garage and measuring for me :) 37" seat height sounds like it'd fit me just fine. A few of the trails I did ride on were so rough/rocky you barely got the bike outa 2nd or 3rd gear, so top speed for me isn't an issue...I'd take low end torque any day. So far, it looks like a Gio 250 will be the newest addition to the garage!!! I'll keep you posted on what happens. Thanks again!!!!!

kelly5150
02-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Yup,
sounds like a good plan, but then again I am quite bias now because I have one and like mine .
My only real complaint about the bike is the Perimeter frame and that it is hard to reach the idle screw, and you will use it quite a bit as it warms up .
I will figure that one out for me eventually with some Modification , but have been too busy . I will put an extension on the screw, braze on an extension, kinda like the S&S carbs got going on if your familiar with street bikes or not ?
Anyway, good luck, congrats, Later, Kelly5150 .
They are very cool looking bikes .
A No-Toil air filter for a KX250 works pefect in the airbox by the waya and sure helps it breathe right . You will laugh at what they got in there protecting the motor from dust .

Later, Kelly

kelly5150
02-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Honda correction .
I typed the Honda part cost wrong in my last post about the axel bolt. I meant ot say-type AXEL NUT , $14.00 , yes the freeking NUT ! :twisted:
God knwos an axel bolt would be thousands am sure . By the way that was without a washer with the nut . Nagasaki Too !!!!

Later, Kelly

MrMurray
02-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the info Kelly,

The replacement air filter from a KX250...would that be the 4 stroke KX or the 2 stroke, as the parts numbers are different...

Thanks again,

Craig

BIGHIRT
02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey just wanted to add to the discussion about Sunl,Roketa and Viva having the same engine and frame of looking alike. All three of these companies don't make their own bikes they buy them from othe manufactuers and put their stickers on them. Zhejiang Qianjiang Motorcycle Co., Ltd. is one of the companies that sell a lot of ditbikes to these companies. FYI
I have sold products for all three of these companies and had nothing but problem getting part so droped all of them. But i sill fix their stuff when it rolls in my shop.

kelly5150
02-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Yo Mcmurray,
no help here , I threw the plastic wrapper and paperwork for it away months ago and I don't honestly remember . I do remmember it said it would fit a Suzuki too, but I don't remmember which model of that bike either . If it is any consolation it was for a Kawi in the 2000 era ?

Sorry bud, sometimes your the bull, sometimes you get the horns.

Kelly out