PDA

View Full Version : $5895 for RX4

Working_ZS
10-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Just scoping out CSC's site and noticed that they have posted a price for the RX4 - $5895. So $6300 after Assembly and Documentaion fees are added in.

No mention of the bikes specs at that price, so it is hard to say one way or another how good of a deal a buyer would be getting. The base price is $400 more than a non-ABS Versys - X300, which comes with nothing apart from the bike - no luggage, 12v/USB ports or crash bars. Plus 150 cc's lower displacement, engine wise. Then dealer fees.

I don't know, I guess I need to see the full specs before I decide anything.

JerryHawk250
10-19-2018, 11:49 AM
450cc engine 43.5 HP

1cylinderwonder
10-19-2018, 11:52 AM
$5895 is $100 more than the Versys-X 300 with ABS.
I can buy a Versys-X 300 for the MSRP $5795 price plus sales tax and license registration fee. NO freight, NO assembly charges.
Plus the Versys-X weighs less and has less pounds per horsepower than the RX4.
The Versys probably can “smoke” the RX4 in the quarter mile acceleration time.
(Versys-X, 386 lbs. 39 horsepower) (RX4, 450 lbs., 44 horsepower)
Less weigh is always better for off road use, in my opinion.
(I also checked out the Zongshen selling price, and it is much, much cheaper thanks CSC’s)

Just scoping out CSC's site and noticed that they have posted a price for the RX4 - $5895. So $6300 after Assembly and Documentaion fees are added in.
No mention of the bikes specs at that price, so it is hard to say one way or another how good of a deal a buyer would be getting. The base price is $400 more than a non-ABS Versys - X300, which comes with nothing apart from the bike - no luggage, 12v/USB ports or crash bars. Plus 150 cc's lower displacement, engine wise. Then dealer fees.

Biker_Andy
10-19-2018, 12:41 PM
No freight & no assembly fee for a Versys? Maybe if you buy it in Japan partly assembled from the factory. There will be WAY more fees from a Japanese dealer then from CSC. Japanese fees typically add $500 to $1000 to the advertised price. Kawi, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda all charge freight. The freight charge is from Japan to the dealership. CSC freight is from the dealership to your door if you choose to have it shipped, not from China to CSC. That freight is already included in the CSC price.

calvarez
10-19-2018, 12:49 PM
Before buying the RX3, I was looking at some of the small Japanese bikes under $4k. Every single one of them had at LEAST $1k in dealer fees. I asked several dealers in various states, including a friend who runs a dealership in CO. He said they just can't make money on them, and even the highest friend discount was going to put me about $500 above MSRP out the door.

One dealer quoted nearly $2k in fees, though the bike was advertised a couple hundred below MSRP. It's all a game.

Biker_Andy
10-19-2018, 01:20 PM
It bugs me when one dealer, CSC is honest and transparent with fees and people bash them for being more expensive without having any clue about the real hidden fees that EVERY other dealership has. Plus the Versys is a street bike that only looks like an adventure bike. It would cost propably $1000 - $2000 to upgrade the Versys so it could do what the RX4 is capable of stock. Then you still need to add another $500-$1000 for racks & luggage. Apples to apples the RX4 will beat the competition or CSC wouldn't be importing it.

fjmartin
10-19-2018, 02:25 PM
On the weight comment, It can be a bit of a math quiz. Kawi weight is for the bare bike wet weight. When I got my RX3 the claimed weight was 385 lbs dry. I then did a bunch of math about the wet weight, my added farkles and then went to a certified scale and weighed it.

Claimed dry weight is 385 pounds
1.7 quarts of oil is 7.2 pounds per gallon = 3.06 pounds
3.7 gallons of gas is 6.073 pounds per gallon = 22.47 pounds
67.6 ounces of coolant is 6.5 pounds per gallon = 3.47 pounds
3.06+22.47+3.47=29.0 lb of liquids
Wet would be = 414 pounds. That must include the OEM skid plate, crash bars, luggage racks and plastic luggage since mine was 420 with the farkles.

Weighed Items-
Grab Rail: 5 lb
Rack Plate: 3 lb
Rear Luggage Carrier assembly: 8 lb
Updated CSC Skid Plate: 3 lb
Passenger Foot Pegs (2): 2.25 lb
Engine Guards: 12 lb
Billet Guards - 4 lb
Spot Lights - 1 lb
Spot and Phone Mount - 1 lb
Electronics - 1 lb
Agi-Tubes = 3 lb
Tourfella Luggage = 12.5+12.5+12.6=37.6 lb
5+3+8+3+2.25+12+4+1+1+1++3+37.6=80.85 lb in total farkles

Totals-
Wet Weight of my bike with all farkles = 420 lb
Dry Weight of my bike with all farkles = 420-29=391 lb
Naked Dry weight = 420-29-80.85=310.15 lb
Naked Wet Weight = 310.15+29=339.15 lb

So what I'm seeing from my RX3 math and if they do it the same for the RX4 is that the 450 pound weight is going to be dry weight so it will be more like 480 wet BUT that includes a bunch of the things you'd probably add onto the Versys like luggage racks, luggage, crash bars, etc.

TK
10-19-2018, 04:10 PM
What color is the sky in your world and when did Adventure bikes start drag racing?:lmao::p

Biker_Andy
10-19-2018, 05:20 PM
My CB500X weighs 430lbs wet (same as a KLR650) but that doesn't include the approximately 30-40lbs of guards, racks & luggage the CSC comes with stock. I bet my soft dry bags and homemade rack only add 15lbs but I don't have an engine guard. So RX4 is maybe 20lbs heavier for a similar equipped CB500X but probably a fair bit more capable off-road. Maybe only 10lbs heavier then a Rally Raid CB500X. The RX4 is still a lot cheaper then a RR CB500X which has been called a modern day KLR. I'd be interested too see a RR CB500X vs RX4 comparison. Or RR Versys 300, RR CB500X & RX4 three way shootout

Working_ZS
10-19-2018, 05:45 PM
$5895 is $100 more than the Versys-X 300 with ABS.
I can buy a Versys-X 300 for the MSRP $5795 price plus sales tax and license registration fee. NO freight, NO assembly charges.
Plus the Versys-X weighs less and has less pounds per horsepower than the RX4.
The Versys probably can “smoke” the RX4 in the quarter mile acceleration time.
(Versys-X, 386 lbs. 39 horsepower) (RX4, 450 lbs., 44 horsepower)
Less weigh is always better for off road use, in my opinion.
(I also checked out the Zongshen selling price, and it is much, much cheaper thanks CSC’s)

I cannot speak to what you can get a Versys-x 300 for or the results of a 1/4 mile acceleration test, but in the case of the RX4's price, I'm pretty sure that the ongoing trade war with China has been factored into the price. I, too, have seen chinese RX4 prices a few hundred dollars less after converted to US dollars. But, that price is without taking into consideration CSC's overhead for federal EPA and CARB emissions certification costs and import tariffs on chinese goods.

I'm basing my speculation about import tariffs affecting CSC's price on a tidbit from Joe Berk, who put up a post on his Exhaust Notes blog about Baja John buying a TT250 for his house in Mexico. In it, he mentioned that Steve Seidner at CSC told Baja John it would be better to buy the bike now rather than wait till later in the year, due to the fact that prices were going up for the next shipment of bikes due to tariffs. So, to a certain extent, it is out of CSC's hands. They are a business and need to turn a profit to stay in business. I do not begrudge them that, though like everyone else in the world, I would love to get something for nothing, or next to nothing.;)

Regarding the RX4's weight, I agree that less is more when taking it off road. Hence my preference for the RX3S and its 380 cc parallel twin, which CSC decided not to bring in due to ergonomic problems. Although, based off of statements from CSC's blog, we may yet see a bike with the 380 cc twin engine in the future. Here's hoping a re-worked RX3 or similar sized bike makes an appearance in the not too distant future.

ben2go
10-19-2018, 07:45 PM
I only have $6000 in my farkled CB500X that I bought new. I can't see giving that kind of money for an unproven Chinese bike.

1cylinderwonder
10-20-2018, 12:26 AM
I’m not interested in the fully loaded RX4. I’m more in the Scrambler model mode. I don’t want crashbars, hard saddlebags, hard top box, 12volt socket plug, USB ports, heated grips, cellphone bracket, etc. (an over-loaded, too heavy motorcycle) I’m not traveling coast to coast.
I want a light weight, lightly equipped, easily controlled, and easy to pick up if I’m dumped in the off road, non-paved, non-traveled territory. I want to explore interesting areas.
So the fully accessorized RX4 is not my bike. I don’t want to pay for a bike I then have to strip down to my specs! So to me the now listed price is too expensive.

It bugs me when one dealer, CSC is honest and transparent with fees and people bash them for being more expensive without having any clue about the real hidden fees that EVERY other dealership has. Plus the Versys is a street bike that only looks like an adventure bike. It would cost propably $1000 - $2000 to upgrade the Versys so it could do what the RX4 is capable of stock. Then you still need to add another $500-$1000 for racks & luggage. Apples to apples the RX4 will beat the competition or CSC wouldn't be importing it.

1cylinderwonder
10-20-2018, 12:34 AM
The color of the sky in my world is beautiful blue!
And when do Adventure bikes drag race? It’s when the last rider to the end of the quarter mile has to buy breakfast or lunch for everyone who arrives before him or her! :thanks:

What color is the sky in your world and when did Adventure bikes start drag racing?:lmao::p

1cylinderwonder
10-20-2018, 12:42 AM
I only have $6000 in my farkled CB500X that I bought new. I can't see giving that kind of money for an unproven Chinese bike.

Exactly!

What about the required RX4 maintenance?
Frequency of valve adjustments, oil changes, does the RX4 have a”real oil filter?”
How about the longevity of the “NEW” motor?
GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

culcune
10-20-2018, 01:07 AM
The real test will be when Everide on his YouTube channel tries to ride it like a CRF450R and states it doesn't stack up to that off-road bike so goes on and on bashing it. Right after his video of him fawning over the Royal Enfield in his 'non-bias' test...

Working_ZS
10-20-2018, 09:58 AM
I want a light weight, lightly equipped, easily controlled, and easy to pick up if I’m dumped in the off road, non-paved, non-traveled territory. I want to explore interesting areas.

Well then get out your credit card, call CSC and order a TT250 or San Gabriel if your the scrambler type. Maintenance is dead simple: keep oil in the crankcase and gas in the tank and it will probably last longer than you will. Their engine is a Honda CG clone with the addition of a balance shaft, so smoother than any CG Honda ever produced. No oil filter, paper element air filter, adjust the valves whenever they need it or every day if you want (takes 15 minutes, literally). If you break anything, CSC has everything parts-wise in stock and priced more than affordably. My TT250 is a hoot and complements my RX3 perfectly.

Now if a 230cc engine is too small and you must have a lightweight 450, then Honda will be happy to sell you one. They'll even strip off all the extra crap that you don't want to pay for and only charge you an extra $5000 above and beyond what CSC is asking for the RX4.

No sense in berating the RX4 for not being a lightweight scrambler when it is not intended for that use nor marketed as such. Basically, it's a RX3 on steroids (more power, better brakes) - good for touring, gravel and fire roads and light off road work (although I have no doubt that someone will take it on the most God forsaken trail that they can find - and it will make it through, and then complain that it is not as good as a KTM 350 or 500 EXC, lol).:doh:

Working_ZS
10-20-2018, 10:34 AM

If this was four years ago, I might agree with you. However, it's not and I don't. Having owned a 2015 RX3 for the last three years and a TT250 for two, and not having a problem out of either, I think that the bikes, CSC and Zongshen have proven their bonafides. Like it or not, Chinese bikes are more than good enough to compete with Japanese and European low and mid-range motorcycles. I'll concede that they still have quite a ways to go for top end stuff, though.

As to being unproven, the RX4 has undergone the same testing that the RX1, RX3 and RX3S did and more (Zongshen used the NC450 in their Dakar bike); if there were any problems, I am confident that they were found and corrected. If something does crop up, I do not have any doubts in CSC's and Zongshen's ability and willingness to make it right. I also feel comfortable with their ability to support the bike with parts and service, if and when needed; having personally experienced it over the last three years with the two bikes that I already own.

Based on what CSC has said so far spec-wise, it's competitive with or bests anything similar on the market that you can buy right now, that being your CB500X, RE Himalayan and the Versy-X 300. It includes more farkles as standard equipment than any of those bikes while being priced similarly to their base models. It will be interesting to see what the Versys-X 400 brings to the table when it drops, but Kawasaki is probably 2 years behind Zongshen (again) on that bike. KTM's 390 Adventure will be interesting, too, but once again, it's not here (I've seen a tentative release date for December 2019, but that is for the Indian market) while the RX4 is or soon will be.

1cylinderwonder
10-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Of the 2019 CSC RX4 and the 2019 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 motorcycles.
The Zero to 60mph time for the Versys-X 300 is 5.2 seconds.
The Top Speed for the Versys-X 300 is 102 mph.
Please post the same information for the Zongshen, CSC RX4 when it is known.
This should be interesting: :hehe:

I just SOLD my Honda CB500X; My third motorcycle sale this year!

Bruces
10-20-2018, 05:35 PM
Isn’t there a special forum for Versys drag racers ? No need to come here just to bash and giggle like a schoolgirl ,it’s already been pointed out to you that the bikes are not designed for racing ,and if you are worried about having to buy lunch you certainly can’t afford to be racing anything anyway .
And what’s the point of pointing out you have just sold your third motorcycle this year ?if it’s another competition count me in ,I sold off 34 in August and the first week of September .Big Whoop !

Working_ZS
10-20-2018, 05:39 PM
Of the 2019 CSC RX4 and the 2019 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 motorcycles.
The Zero to 60mph time for the Versys-X 300 is 5.2 seconds.
The Top Speed for the Versys-X 300 is 102 mph.
Please post the same information for the Zongshen, CSC RX4 when it is known.
This should be interesting: :hehe:

I just SOLD my Honda CB500X; My third motorcycle sale this year!

I have no clue as to the 0-60 RX4 times, but the maximum speed is listed as 97 MPH from CSC's blog entry comparing it to their range of other bikes. So, like I said earlier, it's competitive with the other bikes in its class. Not best in class, but not getting blown away either, while still offering a ton of equipment that costs extra on competitor's bikes. Yes, it will definitely be interesting to see how it stacks up in the flesh. With luck, it breezes thru emissions certification, the trade rhetoric between the US and China goes down a couple notches and we have a new ADV to praise / criticize in early 2019.

Out of curiosity, why are you selling your bikes?

1cylinderwonder
10-20-2018, 07:08 PM
When are you going to sell the remaining 16 motorcycles? Isn’t it still a little over-crowded in your storage sheds? :lmao: :p :shrug:

And the point of pointing out you have just sold your third motorcycle this year ?if it’s another competition count me in ,I sold off 34 in August and the first week of September .Big Whoop ! And little Noise!

1cylinderwonder
10-20-2018, 07:12 PM
How fast do you need to be on those "off road, non-paved, non-traveled interesting areas" you want to explore?

It’s nice to be able to get to the area you want to explore in a timely manner!
:hi: :crazy:
Once you’re there SPEED doesn’t matter! :yay:

Bruces
10-20-2018, 08:31 PM
When are you going to sell the remaining 16 motorcycles? Isn’t it still a little over-crowded in your storage sheds? :lmao: :p :shrug:
And little Noise!

I wasn’t going to sell any of them ,but I did because I didn’t want to move them .I only have 6 left yet I have an acre for storage now so plenty of room for hundreds at the moment .Your point ?

NzBrakelathes
10-20-2018, 09:20 PM
My local dealer got an RX4 yesterday - Ya'll wanna come n look see with me?

sqwert
10-20-2018, 10:21 PM

Wish I could, especially if China has a few single, slender, intelligent, polite women who know how to cook and ride. Don't any of those teenage Chinese girls for sale have single moms?

Essayons
10-21-2018, 12:21 AM

Definitely!

I hope CSC offers a lowering link just in case I need it.

NzBrakelathes
10-21-2018, 05:56 AM
Definitely!

Do you have an RX3? Have you seen my work on the RX3S single seat tht is lower maybe 20mm? if you do this MAY help you if you where born with bum closer to the ground to most people lol.

I am kidding but serious as well.

The RX3S low seat is a bunch of work but it might just be what you need, even could trim it lower or a little higher with a lot of work.

Working_ZS
10-21-2018, 11:06 AM

I have no doubt that they will make one available, probably from day one if the RX3 launch is any indicator. One of the many good points in regards to CSC versus your standard dealer is that they also have a proven track record as a motorcycle and motorcycle accessory manufacturer. They have the ability to provide all of the accessories that other aftermarket manufacturers are unwilling or unable to provide for the bikes that CSC imports.

Essayons
10-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Sorry mate I don't have an RX3. I was referring to a lowering link made available for the RX4. If there is a lower profile seat for the RX4 I while probably go that route first so as to leave the suspension alone. I will definitely do business with you if I get the RX4. Damn shame there isn't a demand for TT250 after market parts. I would like to put a small windscreen on it.

Sullybiker
10-21-2018, 11:21 AM
I had a feeling it would be close to $6K.

When one considers the specification of the bike - Alloy rims, stainless header etc this is possibly the most high-end offering we've seen from Zongshen on the US shores.

The $6K price tag is still very competitive; you're not going to find any ready-to-go Japanese bikes in that price range.

As for the Versys X-300, if that bike works for you then I don't know what the point of a comparison is; just buy it.

Meloman
10-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Working ZS, where did you see the price listed on the CSC site ? I couldn’t find it.

Working_ZS
10-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Working ZS, where did you see the price listed on the CSC site ? I couldn’t find it.

From the CSC home page, scroll down and click on "NEW MODELS", it's the first model listed when that page pops up. Just checked it again and it is still showing up on my end. The "Info" tab on the RX4 page says under construction, so nothing but the price appears to have been decided for sure. And even that may just be a preliminary placeholder, so I guess we will have to just wait until when CSC makes the official announcement on the bikes availability - probably another 3-4 months if I had to guess, for the final configuration and the definite price. Here is the page:

https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=6113075&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=new&fr=xNewInventory

Meloman
10-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Thanks.

NzBrakelathes
10-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Sorry mate I don't have an RX3. I was referring to a lowering link made available for the RX4. If there is a lower profile seat for the RX4 I while probably go that route first so as to leave the suspension alone. I will definitely do business with you if I get the RX4. Damn shame there isn't a demand for TT250 after market parts. I would like to put a small windscreen on it.

The TT250 Hawk 250 and all those are not sold in China as they are too cheap and quality is ...............
Only the Honda XLR150 or what ever the exact model it.

I had 1 of these in China and i couldn't find body parts but mechanical was OK to find mostly - real pain in the butt.

Low spec bikes low spec motors etc and takes me a long time to find out stuff and could be wrong resulting in bad service and no income so you kinda see why I do not bother. (I also don't have a test bike but do have an RX3 test bike)

rojo_grande
10-23-2018, 12:07 PM
It will be very interesting to see if the RX4 passes the Joe Berk smell test.

http://exhaustnotes.us/blog/index.php/2018/10/23/the-rx4/

BTW, some good stuff on the Berk & Gresh exhaust notes blog.

Rojo

2LZ
10-24-2018, 12:45 PM
This is going to be fun to watch. Long anticipated. I think a loaded 450 bike for the price isn't bad at all. I'm sure there will be some bugs to work out but I'm also sure that CSC will stand behind whatever pops up, as they always do.

sqwert
10-24-2018, 04:53 PM
I thought the RX3 was well loaded, but have spent a small fortune on more farkles. Nothing from Japan for twice the price has half the goodies. Just don't get caught in the aerodynamic disaster of a truck running 130mph or so 4 feet away.

rojo_grande
10-24-2018, 06:46 PM
Fun indeed. The RX4 price point for a new, loaded, warrantied bike is still a good value. Is there enough performance and value to kick my RX3 to the curb, probably not.

Also, in my neck of the woods you get a fairly late model (2012 - 2014), lower mileage (~6k to~8K), decently farkled (luggage, skid plate, tall windshield, etc.) V-Strom or Versys 650 at the same price point. Yes, they are 50+/-#'s heavier but have ~20 more hp. They are also more or less just as off road worthy with the proper tires. In my view this is where the RX4 will get its stiffest competition from the price, performance, and value perspective.

Rojo

TK
10-25-2018, 03:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGfnpwdyMOs

0-62 6.4

rojo_grande
10-25-2018, 09:06 PM
First installment of the Joe Berk RX4 evaluation. So far so go.

http://exhaustnotes.us/blog/index.php/2018/10/24/the-rx4-first-impressions/

NzBrakelathes
10-26-2018, 08:58 AM
GULP!

Still only wire/steel wheels!

They can or should by now have alloy wheels and common tyre sizes for these, the RX3 has alloys but a 15 inch rear being odd ball outside China

Essayons
10-26-2018, 12:00 PM
GULP!

They can or should by now have alloy wheels and common tyre sizes for these, the RX3 has alloys but a 15 inch rear being odd ball outside China

I believe both are going to be available. One of them being an optional(upgrade). This is based on what I was told during my CSC visit.

2LZ
10-26-2018, 12:57 PM
Nice write-up. The more torque between 3500-5000 is exactly what the 300 cc kit provided my RX3.

I would like to know if the front brake setup can be swapped over to the RX3?
That's the one place I disagree with Joe. I have two RX3's and both front brakes have sucked. It has nothing to do with stopping power. It has to do with it warping and unwarping when it feels like it, thanks to heat changes.
Fortunately, CSC warrantied both.....but now they're acting up.

That said, I'm really glad the RX4 is here. It was needed. CSC's menu of bikes was in dying for something bigger.

NzBrakelathes
10-26-2018, 08:43 PM
Nice write-up. The more torque between 3500-5000 is exactly what the 300 cc kit provided my RX3.

I would like to know if the front brake setup can be swapped over to the RX3?
That's the one place I disagree with Joe. I have two RX3's and both front brakes have sucked. It has nothing to do with stopping power. It has to do with it warping and unwarping when it feels like it, thanks to heat changes.
Fortunately, CSC warrantied both.....but now they're acting up.

That said, I'm really glad the RX4 is here. It was needed. CSC's menu of bikes was in dying for something bigger.

The RX3S and RX4 have a much bigger head stock bearing and wider spacing between shocks and wheel, cannot just fit - I was looking at it :S

sqwert
10-27-2018, 07:21 PM
GULP!

Spoke wheels are significantly more durable than mags. My TW200 pocket rocket has wheels of Kevlar and epoxy that weigh about 2-2.5kg, but if they had to survive low air pressure and a rock, they'd be dead. I've also had 3-4 rides ruined by people who lowered air pressure for dirt traction and broke metal wheels. That meant a 30+ miles ride to pavement, another 90+ miles to a dealer who didn't have the wheel, no time to set up camp so sharing a cheap motel with lice and bed bugs, getting online to find a local with the same model willing to lend a wheel, ride back to wherever the overly fancy and expensive failure is stranded, then doing the repair because most fools who ride bikes like that don't know how.

Roxy sees about 1% dirt. She still gets spokes and tubes. Boonie repairability is critical to me. Looking to go to wider rims to reshape the cross sections for better pavement performance and durability, but sticking with the same stock tire sizes. First chance I get to take Roxy on unpaved trip she'll get real DOT knobbies on steel rims.

If ever Roxy is facing 0% dirt, she will get billet aluminum tubeless wheels. I have access to the necessary machines.

The RX3S and RX4 have a much bigger head stock bearing and wider spacing between shocks and wheel, cannot just fit - I was looking at it :S

How much bigger is the room for tires? I like fat tires. I've seen 110/90-19 and 150/70-17 batted about for the RX4. I'd like to see room for 130/90-19 and 180/80-16. Skinny dirt bike tires are for motocross berms and mini powerbands that have to keep the RPM screaming with wheelspin to make power. Fatter tires work better for unpaved roads under not racing conditions.

1cylinderwonder
10-27-2018, 08:42 PM
NzB,
If you visit the CSC Home and check the specs of the RX4, you’ll see the the 2019 RX4 comes standard with painted black anodized aluminum spoked rims, NOT STEEL spoked rims. The alloy mention is if you want to UPGRADE to Alloy wheels from the stock aluminum spoked wheels.
Visit the site and read the specifications.
1CW

GULP!

NzBrakelathes
10-28-2018, 02:54 AM
NzB,
If you visit the CSC Home and check the specs of the RX4, you’ll see the the 2019 RX4 comes standard with painted black anodized aluminum spoked rims, NOT STEEL spoked rims. The alloy mention is if you want to UPGRADE to Alloy wheels from the stock aluminum spoked wheels.
Visit the site and read the specifications.
1CW

If you visit Zongshen dealer locally (China) You wont find a steel/alloy rim and was only only the very early bikes. Alloy/Mag wheel is standard and seen as the upgrade to the old version.

Like USB is standard and NOT $99 to have the parts to fit.

Looks like ( I might be wrong) they are stripping bikes or specs to make you buy more etc.

I can't find RX3S or RX4 steel rims as they are not what they intend to sell with as standard in country of origin, the price difference wouldn't be much either like the RX3 from steel to alloy/mags in China isn't a big price change. (Yet here we get 18 inch front and 15 inch rear and not well suited to outside of China markets for the rear wheel/tyre)

I am pretty well up on what gets sold standard (in China and other places) and a bit shocked at what CSC offers as an off the floor model etc.

I have only seen 1 RX4 with steel spoked wheels, all others are alloy standard.

Sullybiker
10-28-2018, 09:47 AM
If you visit Zongshen dealer locally (China) You wont find a steel/alloy rim and was only only the very early bikes. Alloy/Mag wheel is standard and seen as the upgrade to the old version.

Like USB is standard and NOT $99 to have the parts to fit.

Looks like ( I might be wrong) they are stripping bikes or specs to make you buy more etc.

I can't find RX3S or RX4 steel rims as they are not what they intend to sell with as standard in country of origin, the price difference wouldn't be much either like the RX3 from steel to alloy/mags in China isn't a big price change. (Yet here we get 18 inch front and 15 inch rear and not well suited to outside of China markets for the rear wheel/tyre)

I am pretty well up on what gets sold standard (in China and other places) and a bit shocked at what CSC offers as an off the floor model etc.

I have only seen 1 RX4 with steel spoked wheels, all others are alloy standard.

You didn't read what he wrote.

NzBrakelathes
10-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Quick pic of my local dealers RX4 - Haven't seen in the flesh yet but tomorrow is another day

sqwert
10-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Nice looking wheels, simple and elegant. If I do a 450 it will be pavement only since Roxy is about all the weight I want on dirt. She'll keep her spokes.

CSC says 110/80-19 front, 150/70-17 rear. Off to see what is available in those sizes.

pyoungbl
10-28-2018, 02:04 PM
Maybe there is some confusion over terminology. My RX3 has steel rims and steel spokes. I'll call this setup a 'wire wheel'. The RX4 that CSC will be selling will come standard with aluminum rims and steel spokes. The rims will be lighter but not as strong as steel rims....always a trade off. CSC is offering optional cast aluminum alloy wheels. The cast wheels can be fitted with tubeless tires. There is a strong debate over the choice between 'wire wheels' (with tubes) vs cast wheels due to the relative ease of fixing a flat on tubeless tires but the greater strength of wire wheels when hitting a pothole. Notice that some manufacturers, like Triumph, will offer two versions of a bike. One version is aimed at more street use and has cast wheels, another version has wire wheels and is set up for off road use. Makes sense to me. I do not see where CSC is setting up the bike for lower cost, just trying to meet what the US market wants to buy.

Peter Y.

sqwert
10-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Nice looking wheels, simple and elegant. If I do a 450 it will be pavement only since Roxy is about all the weight I want on dirt. She'll keep her spokes.

CSC says 110/80-19 front, 150/70-17 rear. Off to see what is available in those size!

Hmmmm? Dunlop D404? Not really our sizes, but 110/90-19 and 150/80-18 are close enough, no?

I've run D404s for years on several bikes. Round, ride smooth, no squirrely on grooved pavement, good traction wet and dry, can be run tube or tubeless, handle weight well, last a long time, and don't cost too much because they are nothing new or fancy. Sounds perfect for a bike that's going to stick to pavement just for getting down the interstate and secondary highways in the boonies. Cost about $40 more a set than Kenda or Shinko, but will probably save a like amount because they probably will last longer, and no tubes or rim strips every tire change. Anybody see a problem with D404s on a RX4 that never sees dirt?

Roxy will probably get something along the line of Big Blocks and see more dirt and gravel roads. Maybe Trak Master IIs. Too much traction on dirt roads just might be enough. I have other adventure bikes for really nasty stuff, as in passing stuck side-by-sides and 4x4s in mud holes. Put an ATV tire on the back of a 25hp motorcycle with the right gears and let her rip. Heck, her front tire is 3cm wider than a rear tire on an RX4. Roxy won't be doing that.

sqwert
10-28-2018, 06:57 PM
pyoungbl, I agree with you. I've ruined way to many rides chasing parts for people whose bikes were improperly prepared for group rides. Steel rims may bend, but can usually still be ridden to civilization. Aluminum cracks, and it is all over. Adventure tires are designed to go at insane speeds from Paris to Dakar. Those tires simply suck everywhere else. My experience has been hauling broken bikes and riders from remote places because adventure tires are really nothing more than heavy bodied road race tires for wet tracks with harder treads. They work Paris to Dakar, suck for everywhere else.

NzBrakelathes
10-28-2018, 08:30 PM
Maybe there is some confusion over terminology. My RX3 has steel rims and steel spokes. I'll call this setup a 'wire wheel'. The RX4 that CSC will be selling will come standard with aluminum rims and steel spokes. The rims will be lighter but not as strong as steel rims....always a trade off. CSC is offering optional cast aluminum alloy wheels. The cast wheels can be fitted with tubeless tires. There is a strong debate over the choice between 'wire wheels' (with tubes) vs cast wheels due to the relative ease of fixing a flat on tubeless tires but the greater strength of wire wheels when hitting a pothole. Notice that some manufacturers, like Triumph, will offer two versions of a bike. One version is aimed at more street use and has cast wheels, another version has wire wheels and is set up for off road use. Makes sense to me. I do not see where CSC is setting up the bike for lower cost, just trying to meet what the US market wants to buy.

Peter Y.

I can agree mostly with you on that, the wheel options wouldn't impact the bike retail much at all - either full alloy or wires wheel the prices do not change by very much not accounting for tyre costs.

Aluminium rims and strength, is steel always stronger then aluminium? or does it depend on the grade of aluminium?

SQWERT maybe the rims from the RX4 will suit your Roxy RX3 and the size is I think more what you are looking for etc (I know I can get some aluminium rims this size but I just don't know if the quality is right!)

Retail difference for wire or mag wheels is maybe $50 - $100 different and that mostly is the tyre choices Zongshen offer - I do not believe you should be forced to buy 2 sets to get the wheels you want, easily sold with that option open.

sqwert
10-28-2018, 11:19 PM
I can agree mostly with you on that, the wheel options wouldn't impact the bike retail much at all - either full alloy or wires wheel the prices do not change by very much not accounting for tyre costs.

Aluminium rims and strength, is steel always stronger then aluminium? or does it depend on the grade of aluminium?

SQWERT maybe the rims from the RX4 will suit your Roxy RX3 and the size is I think more what you are looking for etc (I know I can get some aluminium rims this size but I just don't know if the quality is right!)

Retail difference for wire or mag wheels is maybe $50 - $100 different and that mostly is the tyre choices Zongshen offer - I do not believe you should be forced to buy 2 sets to get the wheels you want, easily sold with that option open.

By weight, aluminum is stronger. By size, steel is stronger. Steels are alloys of iron, just like most all aluminum products are alloys of aluminum.

Steels tend to bend, aluminums tend to shatter. Steels can often be nursed home with minor damage. Aluminum may not even look damaged, then suffer a catastrophic failure on the way home. Steels generally are very resistant to wear. Aluminum generally is not. That is why engines with aluminum blocks often have steel bore liners, main and cam bearings, and valve guides.

Anywho, enough metallurgy class.

Please see if you can find out the details on the RX4 rims for the spoked wheels. Aluminum? 36 hole? 2.75-19 front? 4.00-17 rear? Can you get them? Could Roxy be so lucky?

I expect CSC will lean towards the dirt side, though: 2:15-19 front and 3.5-19 rear. They have surprised me several times listening to wishes people post, so nothing will surprise me. CSC will have a well thought decision for every choice they have. Since I will be running taller cross section tires, 3.00-19 front and 4.25-19 rear will be the big bike's ideal for highway.

Anywho, back in the 1970s with the first gas crunch, you could buy a very basic plain jane car for about $2000, new. Then, a passle of legislation limited the number of vehicles foreign builders can bring in. Dealers ordered everything with every option, and the lists prices doubled and tripled almost overnight because every car was loaded. The base cars were still $2000, but you couldn't buy one because they were no longer built.

Looks like CSC is doing something similar with the RX4. So, when comparing prices, look at the extras included from each importer. Seems to me rather stupid for people to be comparing CSC's products to other manufacturers that have a higher out-the-door price and significantly fewer extras on similar bikes. Kind of like the dummies criticizing the RX3 and RX4 advertised weights for being heavier than other bikes that did not have anywhere close to the same extras, like no bags or boxes, no skid plate, no windshield, etc., ad nauseum.

The Tourfella luggage upgrade alone on an RX3 is half the price difference between the RX3 and RX4. Throw in the triple disc brakes, bigger engine with significantly more power, bigger wheels and tires, etc., and the $5895 is very easy to justify.

wheelbender6
10-28-2018, 11:46 PM
"Steels tend to bend, aluminum tend to shatter."

Cast aluminum will crack. Forged aluminum can bend a bit, but not as much as steel.

NzBrakelathes
10-29-2018, 08:08 AM

Cast aluminum will crack. Forged aluminum can bend a bit, but not as much as steel.

Which is best from this bunch in your opinion?
Steel as in stock RX3
Ali 7075
Ali 7116 (this is my own upgrade/test wheel for big brakes)
All using steel spokes.
What about 304 stainless spokes?

My bike has cast rims - I never had issues nore heard of issues with them etc

so far these are my 3 options and more counting but no info as yet.
I just don't know what is enough and equal or a bit better then stock steel etc

NzBrakelathes
10-30-2018, 02:04 AM
Quick look around

Here's my local dealers RX4

NzBrakelathes
10-30-2018, 02:07 AM
Plain RX3S

Even the RX3S has 2 options
One all upspec with boxes n RX4 type headlight
Other no boxes no rack and older RX3 headlight and shield

sqwert
10-30-2018, 10:24 PM

Cast aluminum alloys are what most pistons are made of. High performance pistons are generally forged aluminum alloy.

Cast steel also cracks pretty easy. Forged steel is much, much stronger. It can also be cracked. Different things under different circumstances. Nobody builds an engine with an aluminum alloy crank, but aluminum alloy connecting rods are pretty common in racing, but they are replaced on a regular basis because the don't hold shape well.

I can't advise on what aluminum alloys and steel alloys are best for rims. Go by cost and reputation. No since spending a fortune for most suitable if they cost a fortune.

2LZ
10-31-2018, 01:53 PM
As stated earlier, I'd love to have the solid rims just to go tubeless and be able to fix flats on the fly. I experienced this first hand 150 miles out in the middle of nowhere on my Victory. Huge gash. Stuck in two tire plugs in the same hole, pumped it up with my mini-compressor and finished the trip, no problem. I was also fully loaded for tour. Didn't even have to take the wheel off the bike. That's "peace of mind".
I don't ride hard enough anymore to worry about shattering a wheel off road. As Mrs. 2LZ jokes, "You'd be lapped by a trials bike."

NzBrakelathes
10-31-2018, 08:55 PM
I think a lot of things in theory almost never play out in reality regarding things which are better or worse etc.
I only had 1 flat on my old RX3 back country China (gravelish road mud + a nail)) back wheel later afternoon and shit patches wouldn't work.
Abandoned bike forced a truck to stop take us to town slept n fixed the wheel the next day and went back looking for my bike lol.
I now have cast alloy wheel no issue but no heavy off road etc.
My upgraded spoke wheels will be made tubeless as well.

Is it most RX3 riders are a bit older wiser and not as "bull at a gate"?
Or is it all more a 0.01% chance and never happens nearly?

A lot of what is said online I feel is theory and yes it is true but it nearly never happens to most all riders worldwide - so is it a direct or reasonable threat/hazard?

Like unsprung weight - really no affect to 99% or more of people yet keyboards get bashed over all the theory, I mean we are not racing Isle of Mann etc and if it really matters then dont fit stuff on the bike or bars (Hell take off as much as you can and loose some weight that will improve unsprung weight and the likes too!)

Sometimes I feel the things said online matter none to a hair in real life for most people/riders etc.

My big front brake ONCE WE GET IT DONE will be about a 1Kg disc but better brakes versus unsprung weight increase I know which has more value in daily life and riding.

Above said is my own opinion and anyone is welcome to disagree or add their own thought for educational purposes.

sqwert
11-01-2018, 12:07 AM
Well, I had 7 flats at once when I hit a cactus. Glad I had a couple new tubes.

Watched a dude rip a 2-inch hole in a tubeless sidewall, partially inflated a tube, wrapped duct tape around the tube inside the hole, put it back together, folded duct tape long ways to fit between the rows of knobs and taped up the tire, rode with him about 30 miles home.

Tubeless tires make simple repairs a bit easier. However, if a repair isn't quite simple enough, it can be a long walk out. Both technologies have advantages. I prefer tubes on bikes that ride nasty surfaces, tubeless on highways.

pyoungbl
11-01-2018, 06:25 AM
Last June I had a sudden flat tire on a tube type tire. This was on an Interstate road @ about 75 mph in the left lane. Luckily I got the bike safely off the road. It turned out that the shop had pinched the tube when they installed my new tire about 15 minutes earlier. It took a few miles for the tube to start to actually leak. The tube was shredded so roadside repair was out of the question. I mention this to demonstrate that tube type tires are not a perfect solution. Both tube type and tubeless have their advantages. Personally, I'd rather be riding tubeless.

Peter Y.

calvarez
11-01-2018, 12:02 PM
Some people recommend carrying an "in between" sized tube in order to be able to fit either the front or rear. What do you guys carry?

NzBrakelathes
11-02-2018, 06:56 AM
Optional cast alloy rims so you must buy both sets?
Optional Tourfella cases? But you get the cheap plastic set keyed to ignition key?

Did I get that right? Why despec the factory offering bike?
I might be wrong and let’s hope do!

https://youtu.be/cRpRjYyQeYw

sqwert
11-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Optional cast alloy rims so you must buy both sets?
Optional Tourfella cases? But you get the cheap plastic set keyed to ignition key?

Did I get that right? Why despec the factory offering bike?
I might be wrong and let’s hope do!

https://youtu.be/cRpRjYyQeYw

Kind of looks like CSC despeced the bike. Sure, the RX3 has a bunch of extras, but they are typical Chinese quality. I was hoping for a better level of parts quality. Most folks will be perfectly happy with what is included, but I ride places a driveline fire would be a disaster. No, wait, that's BMW. Ooops. If the included accessories aren't quality, I don't want to pay for them, then pay to replace them.

Really, the only reason I bought an RX3 is to avoid putting boring miles on my 276 cc TWs and wearing them out before having chances to ride where they are intended to go. The qualities of the stock RX3 are surprisingly good, but not perfect, it's just the RX3 is so much more potential than typical Chinese cheap. If you want the best, buy the stripped version and add the good stuff. Won't save much, but just a little helps.

Some people recommend carrying an "in between" sized tube in order to be able to fit either the front or rear. What do you guys carry?

Over the years I've seen too many riders with "in between" tubes end up stranded. Very easy to do so carry the correct tubes, one of each.

NzBrakelathes
11-02-2018, 09:34 PM
RX3 Stock has alloy wheels and tourfella case here (special order and complex to get spoke wheels no cases as the USA version)

RX3S has 2 models plain( alloy mags no boxes RX3 headlamp areastuff) and ADV speced with alloy wheels, tourfella boxes and the RX4 type headlamp screen area parts as well as volt meter on the dash.

RX4 has alloy mags and cases no volt meter on the dash, old version RX4 had spoke wheels or maybe special order.

ALL versions have the SAME dash with USB and car charger (since mid 2014)
RX3 all had tourfella cases since mid 2014

Why not just allow customer to choose the wheels they want? the price difference retail here is pennies and could be in the USA say $100 or little more extra
spoke wheels to alloy wheels retail in China is peanut not accounting for the tyres.

KenL
11-03-2018, 10:02 PM
"Why not just allow customer to choose the wheels they want? the price difference retail here is pennies and could be in the USA say $100 or little more extra"

Would CSC change out the wheels here and be stuck with the extras? Or would CSC have to guesstimate the ratio of one type of wheel versus the other when they order a container or two of bikes and hope they guessed right? Now it's easier, the bikes are a specced the same except for color choice and anything else is a self installed option.

NzBrakelathes
11-03-2018, 10:37 PM
I think the RX4 is special ordered even in China as there are not many around.
Hey I could be wrong but it looks as if CSC is taking deposit per bike per order so you order the color etc as you want? They seem to be charging sea shipping with the bike? Actually I can't see the price landed ready to register in the USA - is it $5895 plus the $345 or so sea shipping plus $50 documentation plus internal USA delivery? then plus cast alloy wheels and plus Tourfella boxes as an extra option?
I'm confused but really it doesn't affect me as I don't live in the USA but I am saying/questioning some of the tactics.

I might be very wrong and willing to admit it.

1cylinderwonder
11-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Anyone know when the first container of shipped RX4’s will be arriving at CSC’s dealership in Azusa? I wonder how many containers are on their way to Azusa?
And I wonder how many RX4’s are within each container?
And as KenL stated, this should be easier for CSC since only TWO colors will be available. So the first orders should go pretty smoothly since it’s only a choice between Halloween metallic Orange and Gunmetal Silver Metallic! :crazy:
Things will change big time when more color choices become available, and when and if, choices for spoke or aluminum alloy wheels and standard or deluxe hard luggage becomes a choice. That way buyers will not have to purchase and pay for an extra set of wheels and/or luggage. Since the retail sales price of the RX4’s is quite a bit higher than CSC’s other bikes, most buyers will not want to purchase extra wheels and luggage. Besides what would most buyers do with all the extra parts they would have to transport and store? :yay:

Essayons
11-04-2018, 01:03 AM
I have been told by CSC that I should expect the containers to arrive around March. Of course It could be earlier or later.

NzBrakelathes
11-04-2018, 02:09 AM
All seems very complex and very long winded, and why take so long?

All the options are standard here and the only thing I see as an option is getting the spoke wheels as opposed to the cast alloy wheels

Working_ZS
11-04-2018, 04:45 PM
For those of you wondering why it is taking so long for the RX4 to get here, stop and recall that it has not even passed EPA/CARB emissions testing yet. Until it does, CSC & Zongshen do not even know what the final manufacturing configuration will need to be as it relates to the engine. Sure, some of the stuff that is not emissions related has been decided, but until it passes the testing and gets certification, they can't actually build or ship anything. Any delivery date they give is obviously provisional, for that reason. Since I already have an RX3 and a TT250, I really do not care when it gets here. I'll just keep riding the wheels off of them until it arrives. CSC has proven, repeatedly, their ability to import and support their bikes; therefore I'm not worried. It gets here when it gets here.

As to the current specifications, I don't believe that there is any actual "standard" RX4 configuration. Zongshen builds it however its import partners want it for any given market. CSC chose what it feels will sell best here in the US. Since it is an ADV bike, they went with spoked wheels. For the luggage, I think they made their decision based on the number of RX3 owners who actually upgraded to the TourFella cases. I'm one of them, but I see online that a lot of folks stuck with the plastic bags. Despite that, they've upgraded the top case. From the pictures that I've seen of it, it is as large as the aluminum one in the TourFella set, able to fit a full face helmet and then some. For the colors, I believe that the price dictated the curtailed choices, since CSC probably doesn't want to get stuck with leftovers in what turned out to be an unpopular color at $6300 a pop. I suspect that there will always be only two choices in any given model year, which is pretty much the same way that all the European and Japanese manufacturers do it. This is the reason that I went ahead and put in my order, to ensure that I get the color that I want, instead of settling for whatever is left in stock. Being that this is a more expensive bike than their previous offerings, I don't think that they will carry as many RX4's in stock as they do their other bikes. So if you want one, or think that you might, you should really consider putting a deposit down so that you know that you are in line for one. Otherwise, you might find yourself out of luck if you wait until they are actually here to order.

For those worried about paying for extra parts, many folks like to have an extra set of wheels. I do. It makes tire changes way quicker, since I can have a set mounted and balanced ahead of time. It also allows one to have separate dirt and road configurations (one running tubes and the other tubeless), if the alloy set is chosen instead of a second set of spoked wheels. And this assumes that people even buy the alloy wheels; folks talk a good game, but when it comes time to part with the money, they often do something else entirely different. As to leftover luggage, that's just about the best excuse one could ever need to buy another bike to install it on. There is no way that your significant other, if you have one, could possibly find fault with that argument.:tup:

StevieUT
11-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Really, the only reason I bought an RX3 is to avoid putting boring miles on my 276 cc TWs and wearing them out before having chances to ride where they are intended to go.

sqwert...Do your TW's have modified TTR225 or TW225 engines? I'm thinking of going that route.

StevieUT
11-04-2018, 06:33 PM

I carry correct size tubes for both front and rear. Also, it only took one field change of the rear tube/tire to swap the rear stock RX3 rim to a Warp 9. One thing I'd want to know on the optional alloy rims for the RX4 is how easy it is to change a tube/tire.

NzBrakelathes
11-04-2018, 10:00 PM
I carry correct size tubes for both front and rear. Also, it only took one field change of the rear tube/tire to swap the rear stock RX3 rim to a Warp 9. One thing I'd want to know on the optional alloy rims for the RX4 is how easy it is to change a tube/tire.

the alloy wheels always accept a tube no drama.

NzBrakelathes
11-04-2018, 10:23 PM
For those of you wondering why it is taking so long for the RX4 to get here, stop and recall that it has not even passed EPA/CARB emissions testing yet. Until it does, CSC & Zongshen do not even know what the final manufacturing configuration will need to be as it relates to the engine. Sure, some of the stuff that is not emissions related has been decided, but until it passes the testing and gets certification, they can't actually build or ship anything. Any delivery date they give is obviously provisional, for that reason. Since I already have an RX3 and a TT250, I really do not care when it gets here. I'll just keep riding the wheels off of them until it arrives. CSC has proven, repeatedly, their ability to import and support their bikes; therefore I'm not worried. It gets here when it gets here.

That point I see as fair and valid - I never mention or moaned about the price of the bike or compared to retail in China or any other place.

As to the current specifications, I don't believe that there is any actual "standard" RX4 configuration. Zongshen builds it however its import partners want it for any given market. CSC chose what it feels will sell best here in the US. Since it is an ADV bike, they went with spoked wheels. For the luggage, I think they made their decision based on the number of RX3 owners who actually upgraded to the TourFella cases. I'm one of them, but I see online that a lot of folks stuck with the plastic bags. Despite that, they've upgraded the top case. From the pictures that I've seen of it, it is as large as the aluminum one in the TourFella set, able to fit a full face helmet and then some. For the colors, I believe that the price dictated the curtailed choices, since CSC probably doesn't want to get stuck with leftovers in what turned out to be an unpopular color at $6300 a pop. I suspect that there will always be only two choices in any given model year, which is pretty much the same way that all the European and Japanese manufacturers do it. This is the reason that I went ahead and put in my order, to ensure that I get the color that I want, instead of settling for whatever is left in stock. Being that this is a more expensive bike than their previous offerings, I don't think that they will carry as many RX4's in stock as they do their other bikes. So if you want one, or think that you might, you should really consider putting a deposit down so that you know that you are in line for one. Otherwise, you might find yourself out of luck if you wait until they are actually here to order.

This part I disagree and here is why:

China Guatemala Pakistan and maybe more all got the Ali cases as standard without the option of plastic cases once Zongshen offered it with part of their bike RX3 mid 2014ish (USA isn't on the same economical level as these I know but it is meant to be the richest country, so why offer a poverty pack?)
Other narkets got Carb version and that I see due to costs and economics in certain countries and quality of fuel - both are valid.
Spoke wheels with a rear 17 inch wheel as opposed to the 15 inch rear wheel makes sense due to abilty to get tyres in other regions of the world (15 inch rather uncommon outside of China).
The USB was standard in China sinch mid 2014 and maybe other countries too, did the USA get this as well or was this an optional $99 extra? (HELLS teeth the dash factory had to specially make without USB and retail here in WAY lower then $99)

For those worried about paying for extra parts, many folks like to have an extra set of wheels. I do. It makes tire changes way quicker, since I can have a set mounted and balanced ahead of time. It also allows one to have separate dirt and road configurations (one running tubes and the other tubeless), if the alloy set is chosen instead of a second set of spoked wheels. And this assumes that people even buy the alloy wheels; folks talk a good game, but when it comes time to part with the money, they often do something else entirely different. As to leftover luggage, that's just about the best excuse one could ever need to buy another bike to install it on. There is no way that your significant other, if you have one, could possibly find fault with that argument.:tup:

Extra wheels and being given the option I think is a great idea but OPTION.
Luggage should either be nothing or TourFella case as the plastic stuff was only used on the first 1-2 years and was cheap even in China it wasn't liked and yes you could order with our without luggage or with or without cast alloy wheels.

I really fail to see any genuine reason the USA folk should be offered a poverty pack as the local wallets are easily able to afford the not large difference in costs (China retail cost isn't that big and factory door price would be better)

Playing with specs this way in the USA in my mind says something and its not good, if it was Pakistan Central America or lower economy country offering lower specs I could see why etc but these countries get the "USA optional spec in the market as standard"
If my opinion pisses you off sorry but there is 1 thing I hate most and that is things that distort truth or tricks or BS.

I feel the USA bike SHOULD be offered stock with luggage like stock (stock being country of manufacturer spec) NO plastic cases.
Or heck discount to plastic not ali.

Wheels should be fully optional as they are very similar in price retail in China (factory price isn't massive at all)

Remember the bike is being ordered and speced to your liking so it must be easy.

The USA when you order a car you tell the factory what you want and what options etc you want? Am I right or wrong?

I am by no means saying DO NOT buy an RX4 I am not comparing retail price from China to the USA as I would expect prices to change due to many factors etc but DON"T strip and poverty spec a bike for the worlds Number 1 economy and think people wont notice and will keep quiet! (maybe people will stay silent I don't know, maybe Americans and Chinese are so alike and will quietly grumble or just ignore something that in my mind is not reasonable)

If I misrepresented or made any mistakes in my facts please tell me I will edit to remedy any mistakes, but my opinions stay as my opinions

Working_ZS
11-05-2018, 02:49 PM
The USA when you order a car you tell the factory what you want and what options etc you want? Am I right or wrong?

A little of both.

You can usually spec a car to your liking, but you will have to wait a while to get it and usually won't get much of a discount, if any. Normally in the US, it is car dealers that specify what options are installed on their inventory for sale, from the factory. Then you, as the buyer, pick from what they have in inventory on their sales lot. If they don't have what you want, but they really want the sale, they may horse trade with another dealer who does have a car with the desired options. Basically, here in the US, dealers pretty much call the shots in regards to optional equipment specifications. And for the RX4, CSC is the only dealer. They are the ones taking all of the risk that the bike even sells enough to cover the $60-70,000 that it costs for the emissions testing, let alone turn a profit for them. And none of us is privy to what Zongshen is offering to CSC and for what price. I personally would love it if the RX4 came with the TourFella cases stock at the $6300 price point, as I think it would really put the screws to the RE Himalayan and the Kawasaki Versys 300-X, both of which come with nothing but the bike; everything else is an optional extra. And since it is early days yet, who knows? They may yet decide to do that.

It really comes back to the fact that CSC is the only dealer, and trying to custom spec out each bike is probably more hassle than they want to deal with, especially if it sells well (it would definitely be a nice problem to have, though). It's probably much easier, and yes, more profitable, to specify a base level that they know,from previous experience with the RX3, is enough for most buyers. Then, those who want more have the option to upgrade to something better at added cost. Kind of the way most dealers, of anything, do it here in the US.

sqwert
11-05-2018, 05:35 PM
sqwert...Do your TW's have modified TTR225 or TW225 engines? I'm thinking of going that route.

If memory serves bore and stroke from 70 x 58 to 74 x 62. 223cc to 266.7cc. Pistons from 250 bore kit for TT-R230 from xr100.com, but I don't think they sell them any more. Let us know if you find a source. I'm on my last one.

TW200 cases bored to fit XT or TT-R cylinder sleeve. Use XT225 or TT-R230 head. Don't recall compressed base gasket thickness, but you'll need 2 and an aluminum plate spacer to go between the cases and cylinder to lower compression. Also allows use of a longer rod so not necessary to trim piston skirts. Needs 2 pins longer cam chain. Calculate spacer to fit cam chain.

TW countershaft turned on a lathe to match trans side of XT or TT-R shaft. 6-speed trans from XT225 or TT-R230 drops right in.

Sebastian from Germany has sprockets for 520 chain. You'll need stronger chain.

Left case cover from TW200 to maintain outboard countershaft bearing and lubrication.

XT225 or TT-R230 right side case cover to allow room for 225/230 clutch, which has 1 more each plate and disc than TW200.

XT, TT-R, and TW kickstart components the same, except kick lever is bent to clear cases on each model. Easy to retrofit if desired.

That's the modded parts. Compare online parts lists to see which parts are common, or use those parts that connect to the parts you use. I think for the same model years the only real differences on the crank assembly are the crank halves themselves and the pistons. If memory serves, the rods are the same. I built a machine to keep the holes aligned, heated the rods, and stretched them 2mm.

The trans is a completely different ball game, but other than the stronger clutch, extra gear, and lack of external countershaft bearing lubrication, each addressed above, it's a simple swap if the right parts are used.

Word of advice: The 6-speed in a stock 200 is a lot better upgrade than an extra 223cc. I don't regret doing the trans at first, then going back in and doing the 223, then going back and doing the 267. Each is good, but going half way you'll never be satisfied.

StevieUT
11-05-2018, 05:48 PM
Sweet! Thanks sqwert! That's a great run down and gives me plenty to start with. My plan would be 6 speed and 250cc if I can find the big bore parts. If not I'd do 230cc plus the 6 speed. If I find the 250 parts, I will certainly update with a source.

sqwert
11-05-2018, 06:40 PM
The U. S. of A. is no longer the place it used to be. People from elsewhere are still operating on the delusions of yesterday. U. S. of A. has about 1,700,000, laws and regulations with the force of law, the vast majority created by unelected bureaucrats, never read or voted on by representatives, and enforced by law enforcement personnel just as ignorant and even more functionally delusional. Hong Kong, has about 1980 similar expectations. Way to keep it real, Hong Kong! On many things people living in countries taught to be unenlightened enjoy significantly more practical choices than we do. After all, we have to "fit in".

sqwert
11-05-2018, 06:53 PM
Sweet! Thanks sqwert! That's a great run down and gives me plenty to start with. My plan would be 6 speed and 250cc if I can find the big bore parts. If not I'd do 230cc plus the 6 speed. If I find the 250 parts, I will certainly update with a source.

The XT and TT-R are the same 223cc engines. I believe the TW225 is also the same. I think the only difference in the three is the transmissions and countershaft sprocket location. Even the XT and TT-R have different ratios in the lower gears. There are also different generations of each engine, and I'm not sure which year each was updated. Maybe all at the same time?

Anywho, as long as you get the more closely spaced gears of the 6-speed, you'll be happy. Use the 223 crank and top end, you'll be happier. Add a 250cc bore kit and some head clean up, you'll hop and skip. Stroke it with all the rest, you'll have an orgasm. It will run like a RX3 with a 300 kit, except wider gear ratios to take advantage of the 300 engine's improved power band. Other than the RX3s gear ratios I wish I had in Snot Rocket, about the same powerband.

NzBrakelathes
11-05-2018, 08:21 PM
The XT and TT-R are the same 223cc engines. I believe the TW225 is also the same. I think the only difference in the three is the transmissions and countershaft sprocket location. Even the XT and TT-R have different ratios in the lower gears. There are also different generations of each engine, and I'm not sure which year each was updated. Maybe all at the same time?

Anywho, as long as you get the more closely spaced gears of the 6-speed, you'll be happy. Use the 223 crank and top end, you'll be happier. Add a 250cc bore kit and some head clean up, you'll hop and skip. Stroke it with all the rest, you'll have an orgasm. It will run like a RX3 with a 300 kit, except wider gear ratios to take advantage of the 300 engine's improved power band. Other than the RX3s gear ratios I wish I had in Snot Rocket, about the same powerband.

Fun fact..ish
TW200 and Zongshen Seirra 200 is a clone of the same motor as I have 1 and bought a couple small TW200 parts for it.
Zongshen did a 250 version (street bike) and used a bigger only piston.
In the 250 I believe cases are different etc but I did wonder if using Yamaha parts in the Zongshen case etc mixing them up would produce a bigger then 250 motor.

StevieUT
11-05-2018, 08:32 PM
Fun fact..ish
TW200 and Zongshen Seirra 200 is a clone of the same motor as I have 1 and bought a couple small TW200 parts for it.
Zongshen did a 250 version (street bike) and used a bigger only piston.
In the 250 I believe cases are different etc but I did wonder if using Yamaha parts in the Zongshen case etc mixing them up would produce a bigger then 250 motor.

Interesting. I wonder if the 250 street version has the same crazy offset of the output shaft.

sqwert
11-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Interesting. NZ. I don't think the 200 cylinder can be bored to 250 and still be thick enough in the cylinder liner. I wonder if Zongshen adopted the 223cc stroke. If so, you can do a 250cc bore kit for the XT225 and TT-R 230. Could we be so lucky?

sqwert
11-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Interesting. I wonder if the 250 street version has the same crazy offset of the output shaft.

The offset of the countershaft sprocket on the TW isn't crazy. The offset is necessary to clear the fat rear tire that makes the TW what it is.

StevieUT
11-05-2018, 10:37 PM
The offset of the countershaft sprocket on the TW isn't crazy. The offset is necessary to clear the fat rear tire that makes the TW what it is.

Yep, I understand that. Poor choice of words. By "crazy" I meant significant.

sqwert
11-05-2018, 11:06 PM
Yep, I understand that. Poor choice of words. By "crazy" I meant significant.

On the same page now. I wonder if the NC250 will fit in the TW frame. With a 300 kit that would be an awesome bike. If the chain will clear the tire.

NzBrakelathes
11-12-2018, 08:15 PM
The Zong 250 TW style was bigger piston different bottom cases with a TW crank if I revall

sqwert
11-12-2018, 09:03 PM
I've never seen a Chinese bike anything like a TW. I've seen a few with similar basic engine designs, but not clones. That's about like saying a TW and a TT-R and a XT are identical, but they are not even close.

If Zong uses a bigger bore on a copy of the TW200 crank to get to 250cc they will probably have to relocate the cylinder/head studs to fit a liner for a cylinder that big, and that means totally different cases. Yamaha went from 200cc to 225cc with a stroker crank and a bigger bore. Maybe Zong copied the TW225, which uses the same stroke and bore as the XT225 and TT-R230. I don't really know, and apparently, neither does anyone else.

2LZ
11-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Not that this may even be relevant but Spud dropped a XT225 in his Zong Sierra after it gave up the ghost (post-submersion at over 70k). Fit great...

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15995

NzBrakelathes
11-13-2018, 11:32 AM
I've never seen a Chinese bike anything like a TW. I've seen a few with similar basic engine designs, but not clones. That's about like saying a TW and a TT-R and a XT are identical, but they are not even close.

If Zong uses a bigger bore on a copy of the TW200 crank to get to 250cc they will probably have to relocate the cylinder/head studs to fit a liner for a cylinder that big, and that means totally different cases. Yamaha went from 200cc to 225cc with a stroker crank and a bigger bore. Maybe Zong copied the TW225, which uses the same stroke and bore as the XT225 and TT-R230. I don't really know, and apparently, neither does anyone else.

I meant TW style engine
The Zong 200 was a sorta copy TW200 bike clone engine
The 250 was a bigger piston only yes relocated studs etc

sqwert
11-13-2018, 03:51 PM
That all corresponds with the info I've come across. Yamaha and several Chinese manufacturers have made a dozen or more versions of the same engine family, 125cc to 250cc, 4-speed, 5-speed, 6-speed, manual clutch, automatic clutch, 2 wheels, 3 wheels, 4 wheels, 6 wheels, half tracks, full tracks, ... . Not yet seen a factory EFI version, though. It is one of the toughest small engine designs ever. Some parts are interchangeable and upgradeable, some are not.

Lee R
12-11-2018, 05:46 PM
No freight & no assembly fee for a Versys? Maybe if you buy it in Japan partly assembled from the factory. There will be WAY more fees from a Japanese dealer then from CSC. Japanese fees typically add $500 to $1000 to the advertised price. Kawi, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda all charge freight. The freight charge is from Japan to the dealership. CSC freight is from the dealership to your door if you choose to have it shipped, not from China to CSC. That freight is already included in the CSC price.

I got quotes for 5175 and 5450 +tax this summer looking at the V300x, that's for the non and abs models. It's nearly 1000 dollars cheaper than the RX4 NEW if you shop around. I ended up with a new Versys 650 LT for 1500 below msrp including tax (only 1300 more than the RX4, with luggage btw) so you definitely can find bikes way under MSRP if you look. Add in the difference in depreciation and the Versys 300 will be a cheaper bike even after you buy accessories. IMO I'd go that route at his time. But if someone likes RX4 go for it. I think they came in way to high in price tbh.

1cylinderwonder
12-12-2018, 12:02 PM
I got quotes for 5175 and 5450 +tax this summer looking at the V300x, that's for the non and abs models. It's nearly 1000 dollars cheaper than the RX4 NEW if you shop around. I ended up with a new Versys 650 LT for 1500 below msrp including tax (only 1300 more than the RX4, with luggage btw) so you definitely can find bikes way under MSRP if you look. Add in the difference in depreciation and the Versys 300 will be a cheaper bike even after you buy accessories. IMO I'd go that route at his time. But if someone likes RX4 go for it. I think they came in way to high in price tbh.

If you shop around you can find motorcycles selling with NO assembly charges and NO shipping charges. Just sales tax and registration and license fees.
I’ve also found special additional discounts for military veterans. (As a veteran it’s nice to be finally receiving rewards for serving in the military) :clap:

Lee R
01-04-2019, 02:04 PM
If you shop around you can find motorcycles selling with NO assembly charges and NO shipping charges. Just sales tax and registration and license fees.
I’ve also found special additional discounts for military veterans. (As a veteran it’s nice to be finally receiving rewards for serving in the military) :clap:

I agree it's easy. Lot's of Kawasaki dealers who are competing with each other. All this talk about add this fee and that and it's 2000 more than MSRP are untrue in this market. Maybe years ago when sales were strong but definitely not today. Like I said I got my new Versys 650 LT for 1500 less than list price with nothing but a small doc fee, sales tax included. The Versys 300x was available under MSRP with tax included and all fees as well. Given the difference in price you could farkle it for similar price to the RX4 but with higher quality parts.

The RX3 was a good value initially but it's kinda bloated in price now and if I did it all over again I'd just pay the extra and get the Versys 300 for not much more. The only equipment I actually like on my RX3 is the crash bars. The luggage is tiny and leaks, the top box cracked at the mounting points, the headlights very weak and much of the rubber parts are cracked or dry rotted despite being in a garage in northern NY. The 12v/USB is crazy overpriced and the USB port is very low power. Paying 3500 I feel like it was "ok" for the price but I'd be irritated with it had I paid the 4195 (plus shipping/assembly) that it's listed at now. It's nearly 25% more expensive than a few years back and for less than 1k you can just get a new Versys 300x. When you sell it the Versys will end up costing less than the RX3.

When the RX4 was in rumor mill stages I was expecting a bike fully equipped to hit the market at 4500/4999 which would make it much more appealing than the price it's set at now.

It'll be interesting to see how the RX4 sells and performs in the long run. Hopefully it's another level of quality and reliability compared to the RX3, time will tell.

Working_ZS
01-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Just an update for those still sitting on the fence - CSC sent out an email to people who have put down deposits on RX4's, stating that the bike's stock configuration is changing to luggage-less, subsequently they are lowering the price to US $5,395 + $55 documentation + 345 assembly. So, $5,795 for a bone stock RX4, delivered to your door, versus $6,345 originally.

For those who want luggage, they have three primary options available:

1. $429.95 - Gets you resin cases, identical to the RX3's.

2. $449.95 - Still resin cases, RX3 side panniers plus the new, larger resin top case that will fit a helmet.

3. $849.95 - This is the TourFella aluminum set up.

In addition, they are also willing to configure any other luggage set ups that the buyer may be interested in.

NzBrakelathes
01-08-2019, 09:53 PM
RX3 and RX4 luggage rack and boxes are the same - might help people to know.
Yes RX4 uses the RX3 racking system

rd1959
01-09-2019, 05:23 AM
RX3 and RX4 luggage rack and boxes are the same - might help people to know.
Yes RX4 uses the RX3 racking systemSo, the large top box will fit on my RX3 top rack?

NzBrakelathes
01-09-2019, 07:27 AM
So, the large top box will fit on my RX3 top rack?

If Tourfella it’s the same on the RX3 & 4
I’d suggest the cheap plastic would be but as it’s not offered in China I couldn’t confirm or no use asking cause they’ll look at me silly as to why the cheap plastic would want to be used on the RX4

The Tourfella rack system isn’t the same as the plastic case rack system.
Tourfella don’t make the Zongshen rack either but just supply the cases

Working_ZS
01-09-2019, 09:53 PM
So, the large top box will fit on my RX3 top rack?

I'm speculating, but I think so, since the RX4 is now available with RX3 luggage as an option, with the larger resin top case available as a substitute for US $20 more. The only way to be sure would be to call them up and ask them.

NzBrakelathes
01-09-2019, 11:47 PM
I'm speculating, but I think so, since the RX4 is now available with RX3 luggage as an option, with the larger resin top case available as a substitute for US $20 more. The only way to be sure would be to call them up and ask them.

THe plastic boxes I’d strongly suggest are interchangeable too
Both have a different rack system (Tourfella and plastic cases) but I’d think each system would work on both RX3 & 4 as both bikes seem to have both options etc

That make any sense lol?

Juanca
01-10-2019, 12:28 PM
When I had my RX1, it came with the Resin or Plastic cases, in fact mine had the big top case where I can store my helmet, as I can see CSC usually offers the standard top case in the small size.
What they are offering is that the RX4 comes standard with the plastic cases, including the Top one as small, now for 20 extra you can get the bigger top case, but if you want to Tourfella panniers and top case, this means almost $900.00 extra,

sqwert
01-20-2019, 08:49 PM
Just visited the CSC page to ask a question about the RX4. If I read correctly, RX3 and RX4 luggage is the same, racks and all. Also, CSC now has some soft luggage for the same racks at reasonable prices. I could have misread with this headache. Off to practice violin.

wheelbender6
01-20-2019, 09:28 PM
"Off to practice violin. "
We still have the viola that my son played in high school. I should learn to play it. I have played woodwinds and drums, but never strings.

sqwert
01-20-2019, 09:53 PM
"Off to practice violin. "
We still have the viola that my son played in high school. I should learn to play it. I have played woodwinds and drums, but never strings.

Played coronet in middle school, switched to guitar in high school. After 2nd guitar trashed with warped neck from unstable temps and humidity, tried to switch to violin, but my parents would have nothing to do with that choice.

Anywho, found out about carbon fiber, the stuff the finest whitewater canoes and bullet proof vests are made from, being used to make violins. Temperature and humidity have no affect on carbon fiber, so after 49 years wanting, I bought my own. It's a therapy tool for all the broken bones in my hands from that wreck three years ago. Viola is easier, go for it.

MalcolmReynolds
02-08-2019, 02:47 PM
This is great news about the RX4 coming. Looks like they are addressing many of the concerns/upgrades that people had with the RX3. Looking forward to seeing how this bike fairs in daily use.

2LZ
02-08-2019, 03:28 PM
This is great news about the RX4 coming. Looks like they are addressing many of the concerns/upgrades that people had with the RX3. Looking forward to seeing how this bike fairs in daily use.

Same here. I wish CSC nothing but the best with this new bike. My thought is they should be getting RX3 riders upgrading who've been wanting more grunt and are generally happy with the product and support.

pete
02-08-2019, 05:55 PM
If this was four years ago, I might agree with you. However, it's not and I don't. Having owned a 2015 RX3 for the last three years and a TT250 for two, and not having a problem out of either, I think that the bikes, CSC and Zongshen have proven their bonafides. Like it or not, Chinese bikes are more than good enough to compete with Japanese and European low and mid-range motorcycles. I'll concede that they still have quite a ways to go for top end stuff, though.

even to mid range jap bikes last 30/40 years with average maintenance
in a lot of cases with none....

so guess we will just have to wait and see if these Chinese bike stand the test of time.
I suspect about 15 years with basic maintenance.

my ttr is like 14 years old... it has spent the last 8 years living on or near the red line..
the motor has never been apart... runs like the day it came off the show room floor..

there's the diffrents between jap and Chinese bikes at the moment..

the only real Chinese bike i have owned did last me 7 months
till i broke the frame and twisted the swing arm... motor was still
going though.. still going as far as i know... fixed it and gave it to my cousin
to use on his silly little hobby farm.. was a 200cc shineray

NzBrakelathes
02-08-2019, 08:42 PM
When I had my RX1, it came with the Resin or Plastic cases, in fact mine had the big top case where I can store my helmet, as I can see CSC usually offers the standard top case in the small size.
What they are offering is that the RX4 comes standard with the plastic cases, including the Top one as small, now for 20 extra you can get the bigger top case, but if you want to Tourfella panniers and top case, this means almost $900.00 extra,

The old RX3 and RX1 are about what CSC sells commonly with the RX3/4.
The Tourefella is common stock item in most places apart from the USA and I can't see why or why you need to spend $900 extra.

My 2014 had Tourfella in China as standard and you could buy it without making the bike cheaper.

sqwert
02-10-2019, 11:00 AM
A careful study of CSC website and email with questions reveals RX4 does not come with cases. Choose composite with small or large top cases, Tourfellas, same for RX3, but no answer to direct question if RX3 racks fit RX4. However, this page (https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/LUGGAGE-s/183.htm) shows all hard luggage options fitting RX3 and RX4.

CSC also has soft luggage (https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/SOFT-BAGS-s/278.htm)which I suspect will fit racks for either hard luggage option. CSC does list the Tourfella pannier racks for the RX3 and RX4 on the soft luggage page, and the top rack is a separate purchase on the hard luggage page. Each rack and Tourfella case can now be bought separate. That would have saved me $600 after that $^$%^ yankee in a speeding truck in Illinois gave me that blow job a few years back.

Now, it is possible that these racks and hard panniers are a new design and the old set, if different, may not fit the RX4. I want an RX4, and need only one pannier to have a full set of Tourfellas, but I'm not spending money if I have to buy a whole another set of racks. The RX4 has a bunch of extras I don't want, like power outlets and such, so a cleaner Japanese motorcycle without all the extras to go wrong won't cost much more than the otherwise overpriced for my needs RX4 to which I'll have to add the high dollars for yet another set of Tourfellas.

MalcolmReynolds
02-10-2019, 12:03 PM
I also find the pricing a little disappointing after watching a youtube video of a demo ride someone did with Zongshen and the retail price in China for the RX4 with the Tourfella's was at $5295 roughly. So we are basically eating $1000 to get the bike in the states. So that really tells me that CSC does not get much of a discount from Zong to be their US distributor if we are seeing that kind of premium.

Also digging through the stats it appears the RX4 loses ground clearance to the RX3. No published numbers for suspension travel, but looks to be about the same. I was really hoping for more ground clearance with this bike and a little more suspension travel given that is one of the dings that many reviewers have had with the RX3. Somehow looking up RX3 and RX4 videos landed on some Royal Enfield videos. It looks like RE has really gotten their act together and bringing a solid product. I am now watching to see what happens next with the RE's as well. Just watched some videos on the new 650 twin and it looks pretty darn good.

Working_ZS
02-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Now, it is possible that these racks and hard panniers are a new design and the old set, if different, may not fit the RX4. I want an RX4, and need only one pannier to have a full set of Tourfellas, but I'm not spending money if I have to buy a whole another set of racks. The RX4 has a bunch of extras I don't want, like power outlets and such, so a cleaner Japanese motorcycle without all the extras to go wrong won't cost much more than the otherwise overpriced for my needs RX4 to which I'll have to add the high dollars for yet another set of Tourfellas.

Based on what CSC has said and from the fact that the top rack fits both bikes, I'm going to go out on a short limb here and say that the pannier racks are also common, and can be swapped between bikes. So you can, more likely than not, pull your TourFella racks off of your RX3 and stick them on your RX4. Then you just need to purchase the side case. I'm not sure that you can get just one side case though, from what I see on the hard luggage page they have the TourFella cases split up as a separate top case and then the two side cases, each option being $250 a piece.

Myself, I am leaning towards reinstalling the resin side cases on my RX3 and switching the TourFellas over to the RX4. I've installed the RX3 top case on my TT250, so I will probably buy the new larger RX4 resin top case for the RX3, to give it a full luggage complement.

NzBrakelathes
02-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Based on what CSC has said and from the fact that the top rack fits both bikes, I'm going to go out on a short limb here and say that the pannier racks are also common, and can be swapped between bikes. So you can, more likely than not, pull your TourFella racks off of your RX3 and stick them on your RX4. Then you just need to purchase the side case. I'm not sure that you can get just one side case though, from what I see on the hard luggage page they have the TourFella cases split up as a separate top case and then the two side cases, each option being $250 a piece.

Myself, I am leaning towards reinstalling the resin side cases on my RX3 and switching the TourFellas over to the RX4. I've installed the RX3 top case on my TT250, so I will probably buy the new larger RX4 resin top case for the RX3, to give it a full luggage complement.

The RX4 ass end is all the same as the RX3 so each type of rack system interchanges but not mixed together.
RX3 & 4 tourfelle rack and cases are the same and I am 99% sure RX3 & 4 resin cases and racks are the same.
Just can't mix resin with tourfella without some mods if at all.

I can supply the ali style or Tourfella rear top box if that is something someone needs just shipping gets a bit expensive I suspect

sqwert
02-14-2019, 12:49 PM
The RX4 ass end is all the same as the RX3 so each type of rack system interchanges but not mixed together.
RX3 & 4 tourfelle rack and cases are the same and I am 99% sure RX3 & 4 resin cases and racks are the same.
Just can't mix resin with tourfella without some mods if at all.

I can supply the ali style or Tourfella rear top box if that is something someone needs just shipping gets a bit expensive I suspect

Crash landing upside down tore up one Tourfella pannier. Can you send one pannier or do I have to buy 2. How much for one? Two, if I have to. Shipping?

Maybe I should just stick the original composites on the RX3 and move the Tourfellas to the RX4? Well, there is a 2013 Ultra Classic Electra Glide with 13,000 miles for sale just down the road. Minor road rash. Dizkizions, dizkizions.

1cylinderwonder
09-24-2019, 03:40 PM
September 24, 2019
When will information begin being posted about the GOOD and/or BAD of purchasing and receiving 2020 Zongshen (CSC) RX4 Motorcycle?
According to CSC the RX4 bike’s have arrived at their dealership in San Gabriel.
And they have already assembed, serviced, re-packed, and shipped RX4 to many purchasers. And they have a lot of RX4 bikes in their dealerships showroom ready to be SOLD.
WHEN WILL SALES ACTUALLY HAPPEN?
IS THERE AN ASSEMBLY PROBLEM?
HOW MANY HAVE THEY SOLD?
HOW MANY POTENTIAL BUYERS HAVE BACKED-OUT OF COMPLETING A PURCHASE?
HOW MANY COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED RX4’s ARE SITTING IN THEIR SHOWROOM?
POST SOME SALES INFORMATION SO WE KNOW IF THE RX4 IS WORTHY OF BEING PURCHASED!
I’ll be waiting, :hmm:
PCG :doh:
OR IS THERE A “BIG” PROBLEM WITH THE RX4’s?
TIME WILL TELL!

Irishjew
09-27-2019, 12:44 AM
I too am curious about what’s happening with RX4. Been state side for a while with no end user unboxing or review videos .

NzBrakelathes
09-27-2019, 10:00 AM
The RX4 hasn’t or doesn’t seem so popular in china either
There’s a whole new bunch of makes n models out there now mostly twin 500cc

pyoungbl
09-27-2019, 10:01 AM
Joe did not go on the 4500 mile trip, had to cancel for various reasons...all on Exhaust Notes.

I just saw a note from LongHaul747 about his RX4 delivery:
The 450s do not fit on the pallets CSC has been using or their other bikes. Thus, the bikes will be shipped through a motorcycle specific shipping company that has purpose built shipping pallets. This will be done in geographic batches. In other words, my RX4 will be loaded with a bunch of other east coast bound bikes and delivered without me having to either disassemble a shipping box or disposing of the pallet and shipping stuff. I also expect less chance for damage because the bike won't be subject to multiple moves from truck to terminal to truck.

Peter Y.

Math Teacher
09-30-2019, 01:13 PM
I am only 30 minutes from CSC so I hitched a ride over there and picked up my RX4 in person. It has a familiar feel if you are used to the RX3, but with more power. I have only ridden it back home for 30 minutes so far, but I like it. The best thing I noticed is that it runs at about 6000 RPM on the freeway, where my RX3 would be running at closer to 8000 RPM with the stock gearing. Seems more refined quality than my RX3.

Working_ZS
09-30-2019, 08:06 PM
Glad to hear that you like it. The extra power and better front braking, with similar ergonomics, is what I'm after versus the RX3, and this just reinforces that. I received an email from Sara requesting my color choice and delivery information Saturday, so it should not be more than a couple weeks before my RX4 is sitting at my door.:yay:

culcune
10-01-2019, 12:24 AM
I am only 30 minutes from CSC so I hitched a ride over there and picked up my RX4 in person. It has a familiar feel if you are used to the RX3, but with more power. I have only ridden it back home for 30 minutes so far, but I like it. The best thing I noticed is that it runs at about 6000 RPM on the freeway, where my RX3 would be running at closer to 8000 RPM with the stock gearing. Seems more refined quality than my RX3.

Out of curiosity, where are you? I just moved away from Northridge back to Yuma, AZ. I grew up in Northridge from '79 to '02, moved to AZ, and had a short move back to Northridge for about 18 months. Sadly, things didn't work out, so back to the desert.

Math Teacher
10-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Grew up in the Valley and went to college at Northridge. It was an awesome place to be during the 70's and 80's. Now spending my time in the Long Beach and Orange County area. Maybe moving to AZ in a few years.

1cylinderwonder
10-01-2019, 02:50 PM
I happy to see that buyers of the new RX4 are finally posting on this Forum about how they LIKE or DISLIKE their new RX4. I’m waiting to read postings about the comfort, ride quality, performance, gas mileage, and quality of the new RX4.
For the $5895.00 plus tax, license, assembly and transport fees this RX4 is pretty pricey when compared to other bikes of comparable engine size, horsepower, weight, riders comfort space and maintenance costs.
:hmm:
PCG

pyoungbl
10-01-2019, 08:43 PM
I happy to see that buyers of the new RX4 are finally posting on this Forum about how they LIKE or DISLIKE their new RX4. I’m waiting to read postings about the comfort, ride quality, performance, gas mileage, and quality of the new RX4.
For the $5895.00 plus tax, license, assembly and transport fees this RX4 is pretty pricey when compared to other bikes of comparable engine size, horsepower, weight, riders comfort space and maintenance costs.
:hmm:
PCG

I disagree. Even when you figure in the total charges to get the bike to my house ($6195) it's still competitive once you consider the specs and the stuff that is included. Granted the RX4 is not quite the screaming deal as the first shipment of RX3 was but it's still not shabby. Add in the fact that the price is a no BS bottom line and now it's really attractive. A relative of mine just bought a new 750cc bike and the dealer was not shy about adding almost $1K to the MSRP for shipping, setup, and documentation. Most of that was total BS.

wheelbender6
10-01-2019, 09:58 PM
You will know the OTD total price when you order from CSC. If you buy a DR650 or KLR from a dealer, they cannot tell you the OTD price until you drive it away.

1cylinderwonder
10-02-2019, 12:45 AM
I disagree. Even when you figure in the total charges to get the bike to my house ($6195) it's still competitive once you consider the specs and the stuff that is included. Granted the RX4 is not quite the screaming deal as the first shipment of RX3 was but it's still not shabby.
CHECK IT OUT! :p
If you live and purchase this bike, RX4, in California, it will cost the buyer over $6400.00! That’s quite expensive for a China Bike! The cost is greater than $1000.00 over this MSRP of $5395.00. Very comparable to purchasing a Japanese or European motorcycle! :crazy:

calvarez
10-02-2019, 01:43 AM
You will know the OTD total price when you order from CSC. If you buy a DR650 or KLR from a dealer, they cannot tell you the OTD price until you drive it away.

That is incredibly SHADY. Every dealer can and should give an OTD price before you show up. Are you excusing dealers' bad behavior or work at a dealer that does this?

2LZ
10-02-2019, 01:05 PM
CHECK IT OUT! :p
If you live and purchase this bike, RX4, in California, it will cost the buyer over $6400.00! That’s quite expensive for a China Bike! The cost is greater than $1000.00 over this MSRP of $5395.00. Very comparable to purchasing a Japanese or European motorcycle! :crazy:

Got it. You don't want to buy one and you think it's a roast. I think we all understand.

Math Teacher
10-03-2019, 12:30 PM
We have all known the price for some months now. We had plenty of time to debate if it is a good deal or not. (It is a good deal what you get for the money. Not a smoking great deal like the first shipment of RX3, but still a really good deal).

Now is the time for us to hear from people who actually have one and can give some real life experiences with their RX4. Mine handles great on the road, has decent power, and carries it weight well. My only dig now is the kickstand is too short and the bike leans like crazy on it. The aftermarket foot for the RX3 does not fit the kickstand for the RX4. I cobbled together something that adds about a half inch to the kickstand and now am much happier.

rjmorel
10-03-2019, 07:14 PM
I'm wondering if the RX4 should have it's own subforum separate from the RX3 just to make finding things on the RX4 easier? What say you guys? rj

nuts4mc
10-03-2019, 08:45 PM
need a RX4 forum!!

1cylinderwonder
10-03-2019, 11:30 PM
The Z400 has a 399cc parallel twin engine (smoother than an RX4) vs 450cc :tup:, more horsepower than an RX4 (46.7 vs 40.2) :tup:, weighs less than an RX4 (362 vs 450) :tup:, faster acceleration than an RX4 :tup:,costs less than a RX4 ($4799 vs $5395) :tup: and in my opinion better looking than a RX4! :hi:
And the kickstand on the Z400 keeps the bike more upright than the kickstand on the RX4. The Z400 has better L.E.D. headlight, stoplight and turn-signal lights.
The Z400 is a much better purchase than a RX4! Less costly but more performance! :clap:
PCG

Working_ZS
10-04-2019, 12:10 PM
You forgot to mention that the Z400 also has no crash protection, either OEM or aftermarket; no provision for luggage (no, backpacks aren't luggage); no weather protection ( I guess the Z400 rider could try to use an umbrella - good luck with that); no available wire wheels for off road riding; no OEM built in electrical accessory circuits. The Z400 also has no dual floating disc, radially mounted caliper front brakes; the Z400 does have plain old front forks, while the RX4 has adjustable inverted front forks. The Z400 has a small 3.7 gallon gas tank, the RX4 has a 5.3 gallon tank. The Z400 comes with a 12 month limited warranty, while the RX4 has a 24 month unlimited warranty.

I guess it's true what they say - "You get what you pay for." For the added features that the RX4 brings to the table, I'll gladly pay the extra $600 every time. As to your opinion of it's looks, well, like the saying goes - "Opinions are like a******s, everyone has one." You're certainly entitled to yours, even though it's wrong.:p (Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us!) Having said all that, the Z400 is a nice scoot; and if Kawasaki ever sees fit to put their 400 cc engine in an ADV chassis, I'll certainly give it a look. But right now, comparing the Z400 to the RX4 is like comparing a claw hammer to a sledge hammer - they'll both drive a nail, but one will do a hell of a lot more in addition than the other.

Working_ZS
10-04-2019, 12:14 PM
I'm wondering if the RX4 should have it's own subforum separate from the RX3 just to make finding things on the RX4 easier? What say you guys? rj

I agree, especially now that the bike is actually shipping out to owners.

Math Teacher
10-04-2019, 12:26 PM
The Z400 is a nice bike. I would be happy to have one. However, when you add the dealer jerk off fee of $1000 (that CSC does not have) it ends up being the same price.
OK for the same price I can have a name brand Kawasaki or Chinese. I get it. Even if the price is equal, the bikes are not.
For the same price CSC RX4 has a bigger gas tank for almost 100 miles more range.
A big wind shield. A tiny $75 option is available for the Kawasaki. The CSC has a 300 watt alternator for your accessories. The CSC RX4 has a better warranty. The RX4 comes with the engine crash guards. The RX4 has options for luggage. Most importantly, the CSC has a 19 inch front wheel.
If you like the stuff I listed get the CSC. If you like the brand Kawasaki get it for the same out the door price. Both are good choices for different reasons.

calvarez
10-04-2019, 01:13 PM

I would suggest simply renaming this forum to include both. We have little traffic as it is, and the bikes have so much in common.

2LZ
10-04-2019, 08:33 PM
Apples and oranges, isn't it? The Z400 is purely street, isn't it? Now if they had a Versys 400....

1cylinderwonder
10-05-2019, 10:58 AM
The Z400 is a nice bike. I would be happy to have one. However, when you add the dealer jerk off fee of $1000 (that CSC does not have) it ends up being the same price.

When I purchased my Z400 I received a U.S. Army veteran discount and a Rebate from Kawasaki, No “jerk off fee”! So my sales price for the Z was cheaper than the RX4, (Mr. Math, you’d better do the Math!), plus the twin cylinder is a lot smoother running than the single piston, unless you like vibrations.
“But to each their own”
Good Luck. :hi:
PCG

Math Teacher
10-05-2019, 05:17 PM
1cylinder it looks like you choose the bike that meets your needs and got a good price. Enjoy it and thank you for your service.

1cylinderwonder
10-06-2019, 05:22 PM
I found and read the published rider’s review of the RX4 motorcycle that was posted on the CSC home page. One item was very timely and important. They stated that an online library of tutorials showing how to maintain & service the RX4. I searched the CSC site but could not find tutorials dealing with the RX4. I really utilized these tutorials when I owned an RX3.
The second article stated the RX4 engine was a bit unrefined, and the throttle causes the engine’s rpms to speed and slow down unless the throttle is in the wide open position. There is occasional lurching when the throttle isn’t WOT! I had this similar problem when I first purchased an RX3 model years ago.
I’M HOPING THAT CSC, OR ZONGSHEN, CORRECTS THIS FUEL INJECTION PROBLEM BEFORE I PURCHASE AN RX4.
I’ll be waiting to hear that this lurching has been eliminated.:hmm:
PCG

NzBrakelathes
10-06-2019, 11:35 PM
New version spoke wheel?
RX3S/4

Working_ZS
10-07-2019, 01:50 PM
New version spoke wheel?
RX3S/4

Certainly looks interesting.

Math Teacher
10-07-2019, 02:52 PM
1cylinder I have spent more time finally riding my RX4. As far as any lurching or surging, it is the same as my RX3. They both idle around 1600 rpm. Give it any throttle at all and you are at 3000 rpm. There seems to be nothing in between. With the power and gearing of the RX3, you really do not feel it surge. With the increased power of the RX4, you can feel this jump from 1600 to 3000 rpm more. After 3000 it is smooth as butter.

pyoungbl
10-07-2019, 08:46 PM
I have ridden the Z400 a few times and really enjoyed its zip and general flickability. It's a fantastic little bike. With that said, it's not something I would want to take on any kind of a trip. The Z400 is strictly a street bike for short hops, one you really need to spin up to get it going. Once you have that engine spinning it's an absolute rocket...for 400cc. The RX4, in contrast, is a thumper. A 450cc single should have more torque at lower rpm and thus better for anything approaching off road. The basic designs are so different I cannot see any reason to compare them other than that the displacements are similar. It's like comparing a Lotus Evora 400 to a Jeep Wrangler...similar displacement but totally different design. I'd love to have both bikes (and cars) but that ain't gonna happen in this lifetime.

Peter Y.

wheelbender6
10-07-2019, 10:10 PM
Apples and oranges, isn't it? The Z400 is purely street, isn't it? Now if they had a Versys 400....

The Versus 300 has pretty much the same MSRP as the RX4. Your friendly Kawasaki dealer may really tack on a lot of extra costs, depending on where you live. I'm just more of a thumper fan.

1cylinderwonder
10-08-2019, 11:15 AM
My Z400 has more horsepower, acceleration and weighs less than a RX4.
1. RX4—40.2 Hp, weighs 450 lbs, 27.3 torque.
2. Z400-46.6 Hp, weighs 362 lbs, 26.5 torque. It also goes 0-60 in 4.82 seconds, and the quarter mile in 14.02 seconds. And the engine has less vibrations. RPM @ 65mph: 6,500. :tup:
PCG

Math Teacher
10-08-2019, 01:44 PM
It feels like a thumper just a little at idle. By the time I get to freeway speeds, it really smooths out. Should be great for extended touring.

I finally added some luggage. It is really high quality water proof Pelican type cases not really meant for motorcycle. Works great.

Math Teacher
10-11-2019, 01:06 PM
Here is a photo of the luggage I adapted to fit the RX4. I had CSC add the racks for the TourFella luggage, but not the cases. When these racks are added, the factory passenger grab bars are removed FYI.

Other things I noticed. The factory headlight is great. Even though the speedo and display looks the same as the RX3, the small lights for neutral and the turn indicator arrows are much brighter. I wonder if 2020 RX3 is also improved?

It seems easier to find neutral and the clutch lever has a nice smooth and gentle feel. It is like the Zong heard all of our nit picks about the RX3 and make them all better and more refined. Too many to list here.

1cylinderwonder
10-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Howdy, are you folks aware that China is introducing parallel twin cylinder 500cc engines to replace the one cylinder wonders.
The NEW bike they are introducing is the Benelli TRK 502X Motorcycle. It will be available for sale within the U.S.A. within a few months. It’s has an 8 valve parallel twin cylinder 499cc engine with 47 HP and 33 lb/ft of torque. It has a 19” front wheel and 17” rear wheel. The seat height is 33.4” tall and the bike weighs 470 lbs. and the selling price is very close to the selling price of the CSC RX4 bike.
I have photos of the Benelli TRK 502X I’ll try and post for your viewing.
The TRK comes with mounted luggage racks and crash bars very similar to the RX4. And the engine is VERY SMOOTH running! :clap:

Math Teacher
10-11-2019, 04:52 PM
The 502 has been available in other countries for some months. The reviews are ok, but not great. I would be happy with one. The other bike I saw that seems better suited to me is the Colove 500X. Anybody have any comments about this bike?

pyoungbl
10-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Interesting that other Chinese manufacturers are jumping into the 450-500cc displacement market. Lets see how many are ready to pay for EPA/DOT/CARB certification. If they cannot sell in the USA it's a moot point for me.

Working_ZS
10-11-2019, 10:11 PM
Howdy, are you folks aware that China is introducing parallel twin cylinder 500cc engines to replace the one cylinder wonders.
The NEW bike they are introducing is the Benelli TRK 502X Motorcycle. It will be available for sale within the U.S.A. within a few months. It’s has an 8 valve parallel twin cylinder 499cc engine with 47 HP and 33 lb/ft of torque. It has a 19” front wheel and 17” rear wheel. The seat height is 33.4” tall and the bike weighs 470 lbs. and the selling price is very close to the selling price of the CSC RX4 bike.
I have photos of the Benelli TRK 502X I’ll try and post for your viewing.
The TRK comes with mounted luggage racks and crash bars very similar to the RX4. And the engine is VERY SMOOTH running! :clap:

Searching , all I see are year old reviews saying it is coming to the US, but nothing about who is bringing it in, or footing the emissions certification bill. With an estimated price of US$6800 one year ago, that would be $8500-$8840 today, due to tariffs on Chinese goods. Not even close to RX4 territory, and it's actually more expensive than a 2020 Versys 650 ABS, at $8299! And the Versys 650 has 30% more power at the same given weight. I don't see this bike happening in the US anytime soon, if ever. Not with tariffs in place. I think that the RX4 will be the last Chinese bike into the US market, at least until our trade war is resolved.

1cylinderwonder
10-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Searching , all I see are year old reviews saying it is coming to the US, but nothing about who is bringing it in, or footing the emissions certification bill. With an estimated price of US$6800 one year ago, that would be $8500-$8840 today, due to tariffs on Chinese goods. Not even close to RX4 territory, and it's actually more expensive than a 2020 Versys 650 ABS, at $8299! And the Versys 650 has 30% more power at the same given weight. I don't see this bike happening in the US anytime soon, if ever. Not with tariffs in place. I think that the RX4 will be the last Chinese bike into the US market, at least until our trade war is resolved.
In case you’re not aware, the actual tariffs that will or not be in place are still and currently under negotiations between China and the USA. Some tariffs are being lowered and some are being eliminated. Some were suppose to be initiated next Tuesday, now they’re not! :doh::cry:

1cylinderwonder
10-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Hey,
When are the informative postings about the good features, handling, cruising and traveling of the 2020 RX4 going to start being posted on this FORUM.
I remember when CSC first started selling the RX3 and all of the informative postings that occurred pointing out the great features of the RX3. As time went on, the quantity of forum postings about the RX3 kept increasing.

Now the forum postings regarding the 2020 RX4 are FEW and FAR BETWEEN! Are most buyers of the RX4 not enthused about the overall quality, handling and performance of this bike? Nobody seems to be happy enough to post about the overall quality of the RX4!
Anyone know how many RX4’s CSC has sold so far? Anyone know if problems have developed with the mechanicals of this bike. Any weak parts of the bike being noted? Handling not very precise? Engine running too roughly?
The BUYERS seem to be overly quiet!
PCG

Working_ZS
10-19-2019, 12:01 PM
Most of the bikes are still in the shipping pipeline, so nothing to report now, and probably won't be for another week to ten days. You have to actually ride it, in order to have anything to report, good or bad; and only two people that I know of have one in their hands, and one of them isn't even plated yet. Still waiting for mine, which is due no later than the 30th of this month. With the weather turning cold in most of the US, I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot written until spring, when the weather breaks. The first batch of RX3's went into service back in the spring of 2015, if memory serves me right; and is probably the reason why so many reports popped up so quickly, since everyone could ride it straight off the bat.

No idea on sales figures, though I think it is safe to say that it will not sell in RX3 numbers, just due to the higher MSRP; but who knows for sure, I've been wrong before. CSC most likely did not order nearly as many RX4's as they do for the lower cost bikes, so if it becomes popular, fulfilling demand might become a problem, especially since Section 301 tariffs, at 25% (the US & China agreement of 10/11/19 only delays the increase to 30%, it doesn't remove any existing tariffs), are indeed still in effect for motorcycles (HST subheadings 87112000 & 87113000 are the two that cover most of CSC's models). The SG250 and TT250 are CSC's best sellers, by far; most likely due to their attractive MSRP's; I don't see the RX4 doing those kinds of numbers, for the aforementioned reasons.

Lee R
10-22-2019, 12:13 AM
I’m patiently waiting to hear how the RX4 works out from owners before I move on from my RX3. The Versys 300 is top of my list right now to replace it. I understand some dealers tack on 1000 in fees but I’ll just stop by Romney cycle and get one for @ 5300 since they just add a small doc fee. CSC likes to say it doesn’t have fees but they have nearly 500 dollars in doc and assembly fees outside the advertised MSRP. Regardless I want to see how the RX4 shakes out first since the CSC bikes are far cheaper to repair if you drop them and the crash bars are really great on the RX3 for adventure work.

I really don’t care for the stock luggage as it leaks pretty bad in my RX3 experience. I took mine on a 4000 mile trip to newfoundland and the luggage let me down pretty bad in the rain and it’s pretty small. The top case eventually cracked at the mounts as well. Mines had rubber parts dry rot and the top end makes a racket at 7200 miles (valves in spec) so I’m suspect about Zongshens long term reliability at this point. I’m waiting to see how the 4 works out.

My father bought a TT250 a few years back to learn on (he started riding in mid 60’s) and it’s held up great. I would recommend that bike to anyone. He rode to Alaska this spring 13k miles on a Honda NC700 having just learned to ride 2 years ago on the TT250 camping almost everyday on the trip and had the time of his life. Thank’s CSC for providing an inexpensive bike to learn on to prep for that trip.

Working_ZS
10-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Mine is on it's way now, the truck should be here at 9:15 am, and it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get it unloaded, according to the driver. I should have more to post later today, after I get the title and registration done.

Math Teacher
10-23-2019, 07:10 PM
I put a few more miles on my RX4. I will compare to my RX3 since many of us are familiar with it so it makes a good benchmark. The RX4 front brakes are smooth and powerful. Much better than the RX3. The rear brake is good with the ABS and will not lock up like my old RX3. The power and fuel economy on the RX4 are both better. The RX3 is maxed out on the freeway sucking gas, while the bigger RX4 is cruising and sipping gas at a reasonable 6000 rpm or less.

On the RX4 it is easier to find Neutral even while stopped with engine running. The clutch lever seems slightly easier to operate on the RX4. The gas gauge appears to be more accurate on the RX4. The RX3 gas gauge stays on 4 bars forever, then drops quickly thru 3, 2 and 1 bar. I do not see this issue on the RX4 which seems much more linear.

Another pic of my luggage. Nanuk top case was around $100 special deal. It was originally fitted with custom foam cut out to carry some fancy drone. When this drone was no longer popular, they dumped the over $300 cases cheap. I grabbed one, trashed the custom foam and bolted it to the RX4. The side cases are from Eylar at about $30 each special deal close out.

Working_ZS
10-23-2019, 07:50 PM
It's been a day, and here is how it has gone so far: :tup:

I've put 110 miles on it and I'm happy to report that the NC450 is a very smooth running engine. Also quite torquey, compared to the RX3's NC250. And like the NC250, it likes to rev - the powerband sits about 1000 RPM's lower than that engine, starting at 4500 RPM and still pulling at 7000 RPM, which is as high as I've spun it, so far. CSC's engine break-in instructions call for no more than 5000 RPM's initially, but I've never been one to baby my engines during break-in, and I'm not about to start now. Engine power is more than adequate for any task now. The NC450 has plenty of power for passing, I had it up to 85 MPH passing a car doing 65 MPH and had no problems, whatsoever. This was in 6th gear; I did not need to downshift. In fact, that is kind of the story of the RX4, no need to row the gears anymore. Just roll throttle, and it does whatever you need it to do. No fuss, no muss. Power delivery is very smooth and linear, no sudden surges; just very predictable response to your throttle inputs. Power level-wise, it slots in between my RX3 and Versy 650 very nicely. You can crank the throttle and, unlike the RX3, something happens and happens promptly; while you don't find yourself doing felony speeds in 3 or 4 seconds, as I do on my Versys 650 when I get on the throttle.

It has a very smooth transmission, and neutral is easy to find at a stop. Clutch lever reach is long, however, and those with short fingers may have issues. The clutch lever throw is not adjustable, like the front brake lever's is, unfortunately. The clutch action is light and smooth though, and it doesn't take more than slight pressure to get it to release for shifting. The real story however, is how easy clutch-less shifts are. The engine's power allows them in all gears above 1st, with just a quick throttle roll off. I only used the clutch a couple of times on that first ride, mainly at stops; otherwise it was clutch-less shifts all day long. I did not have any false neutrals, I did hit neutral a couple times accelerating (9000 RPM comes quick, let me tell you!), but that was on me, not the bike's fault.

The fit and finish matches any thing coming out of Europe and Japan, apart from the super high end stuff. Most fasteners are stainless or chromed, the wire looming is very neat and visually appealing. The paint job quality is the same as my Versys 650's. Welds are smooth and spatter free, including the crash bars (which work well, by the way). Even the aftermarket A1/A2 and ABS cutoff switch brackets that CSC has available are OEM level. Way better than anything that I was able to find online. They replace the rear half of the brake/clutch lever clamps and look factory, when installed.

The ergos are similar to the RX3's. Same super soft seat foam and rubber cover. If you have long legs, you'll want the Seat Concepts seat, to raise you up an inch and get your knees at less of a bend angle. I was feeling cramped after the 2 1/2 hours I spent on the first ride with the stock seat on, and I only have a 29" inseam. Since I'm keeping my RX3, with it's Seat Concept Seat, I'll need to either get another one, or buy some higher density open cell, or maybe even some closed cell foam and rework one of the two stock seats that I have now. I'll also pick up some marine grade vinyl and ditch the rubber cover. Mounting the bike will be an issue if you like to climb on via the foot pegs, due to the short side stand and substantial lean angle that it imparts to the bike. Right now, I'm using the right side peg to get on exclusively, the left side is a total no-go; it definitely needs either a longer side stand, or a thicker pad for the side stand foot, in order to stand the bike up more upright. It may not be an issue for those of you who just throw your leg over, though you will feel the bike's greater weight when you lift it up off the stand to get going.

Handling is not as fast as the RX3, which is not surprising in any way. It weighs more and rolls on a larger (19") front wheel than my 2015 RX3, with it's 18" front wheel. The fuel tank is definitely larger than the RX3, although I can't say by how much exactly. I can't give any fuel economy numbers yet, since what I did yesterday was nothing but full throttle roll on's and off's most of the ride, to help break-in the engine. So no idea on normal fuel consumption at this point in time.

The brakes are better than the RX3's, but not as good as my Versys 650's. I was able to use only one finger though, unlike the RX3, and stop with out issue. I suspect that upgraded aftermarket pads will improve it even more, same as the RX3. The pads are different than the RX3's, however, based on CSC's parts pages; I don't know if the pads are compatible with any other Japanese or European models. Hopefully the answer is yes, if not, maybe CSC can get some sourced from EBC, DP Pads, or some other aftermarket pad supplier. The brake lever is adjustable for reach, with 4 settings. The rear ABS works well, it doesn't let the rear step out of line and upset the bike in any way. I was not able to get the front ABS to engage; I rode all pavement for the first ride. I'll try to hit some gravel on my next ride and see how well it handles it.

This is all I know so far; I'm going to take it out tonight to evaluate the headlight and check on the speedometer accuracy with a GPS. Once I get that information, I'll let everybody know what I find out.

rd1959
10-23-2019, 09:57 PM
Did you notice any difference in wind protection with the adjustable windscreen?

NzBrakelathes
10-23-2019, 09:58 PM
Would a scan tool interest you for your fleet?

pyoungbl
10-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Tako, I'd be interested in a scan tool for the RX4.

Peter Y.

NzBrakelathes
10-24-2019, 08:33 PM

Peter Y.

Same same my friend.
I will take it to the USA and better I post it from there? Or maybe just maye I make it all the way to your part of the USA!?

NzBrakelathes
10-25-2019, 03:12 AM

Peter Y.

Took scan tool to my Zongshen dealer
When I got there he was finishing off an abs sensor replacement and his scan tool was on the ground, 100% exactly the same as mine so yep RX3/3S/4 EFI and abs etc

pyoungbl
10-25-2019, 02:33 PM
OK, probably best if you bring the tool and mail it to me from somewhere in the US. How do you want me to pay for it? Send me a PM so we can work this out.

Peter Y.

NzBrakelathes
10-26-2019, 09:22 AM
OK, probably best if you bring the tool and mail it to me from somewhere in the US. How do you want me to pay for it? Send me a PM so we can work this out.

Peter Y.

All sorted I’ll send from CA or Vegas etc

G19Tony
10-27-2019, 12:13 PM
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an RX-4. I had an RX-3 and enjoyed it. The CSC website says the 80/20 tires will work on the aluminum rims. Would this work for gravel roads and easy dirt? I really like the tubeless tire idea.

1cylinderwonder
10-27-2019, 12:30 PM
After waiting for weeks, I was finally able to get and read some very informative information regarding the 2020 RX4.
Working_ZS wrote a very detailed and glowing description of the RX4.
And he wasn’t afraid to mention a few short comings of the bike. And from his description it sounds as if the RX4’s quality and construction is approaching the industry’s standards. A big improvement over the RX3!
I also like his attached photos.
I may have to visit Azusa so that I can test ride the RX4. And I’ll be watching this Forum for more detailed postings on the RX4.
ZS, thanks for your information.
PCG :tup:

1cylinderwonder
10-27-2019, 03:56 PM
I really like the looks of the RX4 motorcycle, and the size, horsepower, and torque are good too. But I don’t like the weight of this off road motorcycle. :hmm:
What do you think the overall weight of this bike would be if the luggage, luggage racks and the crash bars were removed? Also do you know if the bike could be purchased without the luggage, luggage racks and crash bars?
It would serve my use better without the extra accessories and the lighter weight for my cross country riding. There is a lot of interesting, fun and exciting territory nearby for my travels. :yay:I’ll have to check in with CSC and see what they can answer or do?
PCG

Working_ZS
10-27-2019, 11:07 PM
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on an RX-4. I had an RX-3 and enjoyed it. The CSC website says the 80/20 tires will work on the aluminum rims. Would this work for gravel roads and easy dirt? I really like the tubeless tire idea.

Yes, the stock tires will work fine on gravel and easy dirt. Now in the case of the dirt, should it rain and turn said dirt into mud, then you'll be a tad screwed. FYI - the stock tire sizes are:

Front: 110/80R19

Rear: 150/70R17

Note the 'R', signifying radial, not bias ply tires. I don't know if it would make much difference if one were to put bias ply tires on, but I thought that it bore mentioning, just in case.

Working_ZS
10-27-2019, 11:22 PM
...What do you think the overall weight of this bike would be if the luggage, luggage racks and the crash bars were removed? Also do you know if the bike could be purchased without the luggage, luggage racks and crash bars?...

I weighed mine; with the optional Tourfella top case, it's mounting rack, the CSC skid plate, and a full to the brim gas tank, and got 470 lbs. Minus the case and it's rack, and assuming that you remove the crash bars after purchase (they're included in the base price for the bike, you'll probably be looking at 430 lbs. fully fueled.

You can get the RX4 without any luggage, but the crash bars are part of the base package. So you would have to remove them yourself, if you feel that you don't need them. I can vouch for their effectiveness when it comes to dropping the bike, however, and would recommend retaining them. They come in handy for other things as well, such as auxiliary light mounting; and as leg perches, that let you rest you legs on them for stretching and changing up position during long rides.

Working_ZS
10-27-2019, 11:35 PM
Did you notice any difference in wind protection with the adjustable windscreen?

It gives more protection than the RX3 in the full up position. I have not tried the full down position yet, although I think it is possible that it could be quieter, due to your helmet hitting cleaner, less turbulent airflow. But I don't know this for sure. With the stock seat and the wind screen full up, I have just a bit of the slipstream hitting the top of my helmet. I'm 5'9" and have a 29" inseam, so tall in the torso, if that helps you any. Wind protection overall, by both the wind screen and front cowling, is good.

1cylinderwonder
10-29-2019, 09:24 PM
Single cylinder motorcycle vibrations:
At what engine rpms and highway speeds does the single cylinder engine of the RX4 create hard vibrations that make the rear view mirrors vibrate so much that the rider can not see much behind. My BMW G310GS has this problem when I’m riding at certain speeds.
I want to know if you can cruise at WHAT SPEED on the highways and still be able to view traffic in the bikes rear view mirrors. I’m hoping that if you’re cruising at 60 mph in 5th or 6th gear the mirror images are not vibrating and ruining the rear view.
Please explain in detail how to avoid rear view mirror blurring.
Thanks,
PCG

franque
10-30-2019, 05:18 AM
Just add some bar end weights/fill the bars with lead shot, it will dampen the frequency that they vibrate at.

1cylinderwonder
10-30-2019, 11:19 AM
When I do oil drain and filter change I like to have my bike standing straight up. With the very short side stand on the RX4 it’s difficult to reach oil change parts, get a complete oil drain and clean things up. I’ve been looking for a center stand for the RX4 but couldn’t find one, and I can’t find any threaded bolt holes on both sides of the swingarm for adding spools for a trackstand supports.
I also like my bike to be steadily supported upright while adding or removing parts, during valve adjusting, modifications and checking alignments.
Without a center stand, a longer/taller side stand, or a well connected/supportive trackstand the RX4 bike is too unstable doing major work.
What’s your suggestions?
PCG

calvarez
10-30-2019, 11:33 AM
I've never noticed a vibration problem at any speed, so I don't have any detail for you. It's just not bad enough that I ever even noticed it at any speed.

1cylinderwonder
10-30-2019, 11:36 AM
Have any of you owners of the 2020 RX4 purchased, borrowed, or tried out the RX4 tall black seat set? The seat height of the oem RX3/RX4 seat set is 31.9”. The seat height of the TALL SEAT is 33.5”. Can you riders reach the ground easily when sitting on your RX4 with the TALL SEAT installed? What is the rider’s height necessary to reach the ground safely while sitting on the TALL SEAT. :hmm:
I’m tall and hoping the TALL SEAT will give me more leg room, instead of trying to find foot peg lower adapters. Also when lowering the foot pegs you reduce cornering clearance.
PCG

Working_ZS
10-30-2019, 11:56 AM
When I do oil drain and filter change I like to have my bike standing straight up. With the very short side stand on the RX4 it’s difficult to reach oil change parts, get a complete oil drain and clean things up. I’ve been looking for a center stand for the RX4 but couldn’t find one, and I can’t find any threaded bolt holes on both sides of the swingarm for adding spools for a trackstand supports.
I also like my bike to be steadily supported upright while adding or removing parts, during valve adjusting, modifications and checking alignments.
Without a center stand, a longer/taller side stand, or a well connected/supportive trackstand the RX4 bike is too unstable doing major work.
What’s your suggestions?
PCG

At this point, I suggest waiting to see what CSC comes up with, in regards to a center stand. They know that it is a very popular feature on the RX3, so I suspect that they are working on a solution for the RX4, though I don't know this for sure. You may want to give them a call or shoot them an email and ask if they are designing one for the RX4.

Working_ZS
10-30-2019, 12:04 PM
...I’m tall and hoping the TALL SEAT will give me more leg room, instead of trying to find foot peg lower adapters. Also when lowering the foot pegs you reduce cornering clearance.
PCG

I have the tall seat and can say that I reach the ground fine. I only have a 29" inseam, so I'm either on the balls of my feet, or I slide one butt cheek off to the side to flat foot it. If your inseam is greater than mine, then you will have no problems. And yes, the seat helps greatly with legroom. I highly recommend it. It also has firmer foam, so longer rides are more comfortable. The stock seat starts to feel uncomfortable for me after about an hour of riding; it takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours before I start to get antsy with the tall seat.

Working_ZS
10-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Single cylinder motorcycle vibrations:
At what engine rpms and highway speeds does the single cylinder engine of the RX4 create hard vibrations that make the rear view mirrors vibrate so much that the rider can not see much behind. My BMW G310GS has this problem when I’m riding at certain speeds.
I want to know if you can cruise at WHAT SPEED on the highways and still be able to view traffic in the bikes rear view mirrors. I’m hoping that if you’re cruising at 60 mph in 5th or 6th gear the mirror images are not vibrating and ruining the rear view.
Please explain in detail how to avoid rear view mirror blurring.
Thanks,
PCG

There is some vibration at 60 MPH, but it is very minimal; and nothing at all like the RX3. You can discern the difference between a car vs a truck behind you, for example. I have not tried my RX3's Double Take RAM mounted mirrors out on the RX4, but I can tell you that the RX4's OEM mirror vibrations match, or best, the Double Take mirrors vibration when they are installed on the RX3. I would think that the Double Take mirrors would completely eliminate vibration when mounted on an RX4. And vibration is about all that you would need them for, since the RX4's mirrors do not hit the ground when the bike goes down. At least not on pavement; I can vouch for that personally. If I get a chance, when the weather clears here, I'll switch over one of the RX3's Double Take mirrors and let yo uknow how it does in the 55-75 MPH range. Supposed to rain the next two days, so it will probably be Friday or Saturday before I can get to it.

Working_ZS
10-30-2019, 12:16 PM
Just add some bar end weights/fill the bars with lead shot, it will dampen the frequency that they vibrate at.

The RX4 is already equipped with bar end weights. The lead shot might help, however, if the rider feels that vibration is a problem. Having said that, the RX4 has virtually no vibration in the handle bar, unless you are really lugging the engine down in the 2500-3000 RPM range. Even then, you tend to feel it more in the seat of your pants than in the bars or pegs.

G19Tony
10-31-2019, 02:20 AM
I was an early adopter of the RX-3, but sold it after around 1000 miles. I got distracted by something else. :crazy: I'll be taking delivery of my RX4 mid November. I'm going to do a fly and ride, and ride it home to Vegas. I've found a route that keeps me off the interstate. It will take longer, but that's the idea. I'm also having all the farkles installed at CSC. I purchased a Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S that they will hardwire to the bike for me when I get there. The OEM spoked wheels will get shipped back to me. It will be nice to have a bike, that I shouldn't have to do anything to, for a change. ;)

Aluminum wheels with the 80/20 tires.
Tourfella luggage
Quick drain plug
Apollo heated grips
Aluminum skid plate
Wrap around handguards
LED spotlights w/switch
Seat Concepts narrow seat

Math Teacher
10-31-2019, 01:04 PM
My RX4 is smooth up up 6000 rpm then gets a little buzz around 6500 and is smooth again at 7000 and up. Not enough for me to feel and does not badly distort the mirrors. I would not have even noticed it, except that I hear a slight vibration in the aluminum skid plate. When I go back and ride my old RX3 it sure feels light weight and under powered compared to the RX4.

Musictrek
11-03-2019, 11:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvmKr5WG1_w

1cylinderwonder
11-06-2019, 11:10 AM

I sent CSC an inquiry about the above information, but have not received an answer or reply!! I guess it’s not a problem for them since they have all those large motorcycle lifts in their shop! :hehe:
PCG[/QUOTE]

Math Teacher
11-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Go to Amazon or to you favorite motorcycle supply shop and find a motorcycle kickstand plate or foot or pad as it is called. This will add length and stability to the kickstand. Then find a "SnapJack" from your shop or Amazon. This makes the kickstand act like part of a center stand while the SnapJack acts like the other part of the center stand. I have used this setup on both the front and rear wheel. It is stable, reasonably priced, and light weight.

pyoungbl
11-06-2019, 03:25 PM
A normal kickstand plate won't do the job. The OEM kickstand would have to be extended about 1.5" (maybe even more) to reduce the lean angle enough to be stable.

1cylinderwonder
11-07-2019, 11:06 AM
Go to Amazon or to you favorite motorcycle supply shop and find a motorcycle kickstand plate or foot or pad as it is called. This will add length and stability to the kickstand. Then find a "SnapJack" from your shop or Amazon. This makes the kickstand act like part of a center stand while the SnapJack acts like the other part of the center stand. I have used this setup on both the front and rear wheel. It is stable, reasonably priced, and light weight.

Try removing your bike’s rear wheel using the kickstand foot plate and a SnapJack and see how your bike wants to slip off the non-secured SnapJack. Straining to move the rear wheel forward to remove the chain and rear disc from the caliper and the rear axle usually makes the bike fall off the kickstand and the SnapJack, especially if the bike is a very heavy model. I’ve been there and done that! :doh:
PCG

Math Teacher
11-07-2019, 11:53 AM
It is true that the SnapJack is not as stable as a good center stand. But when it is your only option on the road, you find a way to make it work. It comes with a good Velcro strap to clamp the front brake lever so the front wheel locks. That helps keep the bike from moving. It is not really meant for wheel removal, but if it is your only option, it can be done. For other type of work, the bike will be reasonably safe & stable. Be careful.

Juanro
11-07-2019, 12:09 PM
If you really need to remove a wheel, and really really have no other choice, say, you're on a trip in the middle of nowhere, you can always lay the bike on its side and work there. Good crash bars as the RX3/4 have, helps a lot. Not pretty, not easy, but at least it won't go anywhere. I even serviced my clutch that way once, without even removing the oil.

calvarez
11-07-2019, 01:19 PM
But I can tell you from experience that the tank will leak fuel. Could be just my bike, but when knocked over in a parking lot there was a lot of fuel spillage.

Juanro
11-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Mhh mine doesn't :hmm:

calvarez
11-08-2019, 11:53 AM
How full was the tank? When mine leaked it was probably over 3/4 full.

1cylinderwonder
11-08-2019, 11:21 PM
I’m really surprised by the low number of RX4 bike owners posting on this RX4 thread. I kept hearing how popular the RX4 is, and how many were being sold.
And I kept being told how many were being ordered by CSC and how many were being purchased. Have the large shipments of the RX4’s ordered by CSC actually arrived in the U.S.A.Yet? And are the RX4 bikes actually being sold in larger numbers?
Does anyone actually know how many RX4 have been Sold by CSC? And how many are available for sale at CSC’s dealership? And does anyone know how many more RX4’s are on their way by ship from China?
Good luck! :yay:
PCG

G19Tony
11-08-2019, 11:50 PM
I’m really surprised by the low number of RX4 bike owners posting on this RX4 thread. I kept hearing how popular the RX4 is, and how many were being sold.
And I kept being told how many were being ordered by CSC and how many were being purchased. Have the large shipments of the RX4’s ordered by CSC actually arrived in the U.S.A.Yet? And are the RX4 bikes actually being sold in larger numbers?
Does anyone actually know how many RX4 have been Sold by CSC? And how many are available for sale at CSC’s dealership? And does anyone know how many more RX4’s are on their way by ship from China?
PCG

Perhaps not everyone is on this site. I pick mine up Wednesday.

pyoungbl
11-09-2019, 07:47 AM
I have had mine for about 2 weeks.

Working_ZS
11-09-2019, 07:32 PM
PCG

I've had mine roughly three weeks. It will be the same or less for other RX4 owners, and not all are located in areas where they can ride year round. The weather is already in the 20-30's F here in the midwest, and not many people ride in that kind of weather, so you probably won't here from a lot of buyers until spring. Having said that, I don't expect the RX4 to sell in RX3 numbers, due to the fact that the RX3 has filled a lot of the small bike demand for the time being with riders who don't have any hang ups against Chinese bikes. Those that do have probably got Versys x300's or CRF250L Rally's. It will take time for those bikes to wear out or be sold off, so expect a slow burn instead of the wave of bikes that sold when the RX3 first appeared. Plus, this bike is almost twice the price of the 2015 RX3's that sold for US $2895, when CSC ran their "Don't Miss The Boat" special introductory price. The RX4 is still tremendous value at it's current MSRP, but it is still a pretty big ask for a lot of people nowadays.

Regarding CSC's sales figures, no, I don't have a clue as to how many RX4's that they have imported, sold, or currently have in stock. I'm pretty sure that they will keep that information pretty close to their vests, since they don't want competitors to know it. All the manufacturers are pretty much the same way. Asking for sales data is like pulling teeth, except pulling teeth is easier.

1cylinderwonder
11-15-2019, 10:53 AM
I’ve been watching for NEW RX4 owners to post on this site to express their joy for their NEW RX4. I haven’t seen any NEW postings, so I guess that all the buyers have received the new bikes. I was hoping that there would be a lot more new RX4 buyer/owners.
I’ll keep watching. :hi:
PCG

Math Teacher
11-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Too busy riding the RX4, no time to post about it. Just turned over 500 miles so I did the first oil change. Same process like the RX3. Take out drain plug, take out strainers, take out and replace the filter. I have their after market aluminum skid plate. It has a hole designed in it below the oil drain plug. I did not remove the skid plate to drain the old oil. Yes, some did spill on the inside of the skid plate and even on the exhaust, but most drained out of the hole as designed. I just wiped it off best I could when the job was done. Much easier than removing the skid plate. After 500 miles of daily commuting use, all is good. It is a nice bike.

pyoungbl
11-15-2019, 03:58 PM
I think that more RX4 owners will post elsewhere. Adventure Rider has an active RX4 group. China Riders...not so much.

JerryHawk250
11-15-2019, 04:48 PM
I think that more RX4 owners will post elsewhere. Adventure Rider has an active RX4 group. China Riders...not so much.
I have requested setting up a RX4 section. Hopefully it will get set up soon.

G19Tony
11-18-2019, 10:16 AM
I rode my RX-4 back from Azusa in a two day run Wed-Thu last week. When I spec'd the bike out, I put everything on it that was available. I'm very glad that I upgraded the seat, to the Seat Concepts version. I've had SC seats on other bikes and have never been disappointed. The Apollo heated grips were another upgrade that is worth its weight.

The bike ran fine during the trip, I put 390 miles on it, taking secondary highways back to Las Vegas. My other bike is a 317lb Honda CB300R. It took a minute getting used to the extra 100 plus pounds. I'm already planning a trip to Phoenix and Tucson for later this month, or the first of next month.

I don't intend to use this on the dirt that much, gravel or smooth dirt. I think this is the touring bike I've been looking for. My experience at CSC was great! Everybody is very helpful and friendly. I'd like to get a TT250 and a San Gabriel sometime.

Math Teacher
12-31-2019, 02:11 PM
Just trying to keep the RX4 thread alive. I am in So Cal and there has been some rain and I have had some time in hospital, so not much riding. Now the weather is clear and I am feeling good and have almost 1000 miles on the RX4. It is a blast to ride, decent power and brakes combined with good on road manners. If it was 50 pounds lighter and had smoother delivery of power at the lower RPM range, it would be the unicorn we are all looking for. It really is a great bike for the money.

2LZ
01-25-2020, 09:14 PM
Any new RX4 updates from the owners???

1cylinderwonder
01-26-2020, 11:11 AM
You’re correct. Not many new owners. This size bike and engine doesn’t seem very popular on this website. But the 250cc bike’s seem a lot more popular! I think CSC should dump the RX4 single cylinder and bring in the twin cylinder model.
Good Luck.
PCG

Any new RX4 updates from the owners???

culcune
01-26-2020, 03:43 PM
I am of the opinion that the 450cc thumper is a tried and true engine, making it a good pick for Zongshen and CSC. Asiawing, among others, has put it in their dirtbikes for several years. That being said, a twin would have made it more unique, and possibly attractive, provided the twin engine was well-sorted out.

Math Teacher
01-26-2020, 03:49 PM
Been RX4 commuting to work every day in January here in SoCal. About 1500 miles on the RX4. It has been great. Hoping to find some time this spring for a "fun" ride. Still have my RX3 also. It has about 25,000 trouble free miles on it. I take it out once a week for fun. It seems so small and light and under powered now that I am used to the RX4.

Working_ZS
01-26-2020, 06:45 PM
You’re correct. Not many new owners. This size bike and engine doesn’t seem very popular on this website. But the 250cc bike’s seem a lot more popular! I think CSC should dump the RX4 single cylinder and bring in the twin cylinder model.
Good Luck.
PCG

I don't think it is a question of popularity, it's just that a lot of folks here on ChinaRiders already have perfectly good RX3s, and either don't see the need to upgrade, or cannot justify the expense at the moment. Also, there is the question of garage space; many, if not all of us, do not have enough. It gets hard trying to find space for yet another motorcycle - ask me how I know this! I'm sure that if CSC were giving RX4s away, everyone would be in line for one. As it stands, they're not, so we have to wait for the few of us who have upgraded to report in on what they have experienced so far.

Mine is still sitting in the garage, on a Battery Tender. I did manage to get a set of low cost ($20, with free shipping) hand guards from AliExpress fitted. There was a problem with interference with the stock clutch lever, initially, but as luck would have it, I also found a set of adjustable RX4/RX3S (not for the RX3) levers for $20 on AliExpress as well. They fit perfectly, well, at least the clutch lever does - I didn't use the brake lever, as it is already adjustable from the factory. One little niggle is that the boss on the lever that actuates the clutch micro switch does not actually engage the switch, it sits a couple of millimeters from it. I am going to bond a piece of aluminum to it, to act as a filler, in order to bridge the gap and make it function as it should.

On the to do list - I still need to get a set of AuxBeam auxiliary lights installed and wired up. I also bought a set of the cast aluminum tubeless wheels during the CSC Black Friday sale, that I need to get fitted up with a $40 TPMS that I got off of, yep, you guessed it, AliExpress. I also have a set of Shinko 705s that I will be mounting on them, as well. I'll keep the CST tires on the stock wheels for now. Another project is new foam and carbon fiber look upholstering for the stock seat pan. I've got the fabric and foam, just have not had the time to get it done. Every time I think I'll be able to get something done, one of the cars needs attention. Yesterday, it was emergency body repairs with a cutting torch, a large pair of Channel Lock pliers and a whole roll of Gorilla tape - the aftermath of getting clipped in my driver side rear quarter panel by a semi that tried to pass me on the left, in an intersection, while I was attempting to turn left. It is good to know that you don't have to be on a motorcycle, in order to get run over on the road in this day and age.

For those of you dying for more info on the RX4, I say be patient, spring is around the corner. We'll be able to tell you more when the weather breaks, for those of us up north. There is an update from an RX4 owner on YouTube, posted in early January:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PheNDH6PxNo

Math Teacher
02-04-2020, 02:30 PM
I am putting around 700 miles a month on my RX4. I should hit 2,000 miles in a week or so. Mostly commuting to and from work here in SoCal. It is a blast to ride. I have a short stretch of freeway, then some busy city streets. That stretch of freeway is a lot more enjoyable now then it was when I used an RX3 for commuting. How many people can say that the commute is the best part of their day? I can!

calvarez
02-05-2020, 01:43 AM
I used to commute from Hacienda Heights to Tustin on an Elsinore 250. Traffic and commuting is one of the reasons I escaped from CA. A dual sport or adventure is definitely the best way to deal with it though!

Working_ZS
02-07-2020, 11:31 AM
Hey all, just an FYI - I just got an email from CSC stating that effective February 12, they are dropping the price on the RX4 by $400, to $4995. They are also giving all of the RX4 early adopters a $400 credit, good for anything that CSC sells. Woohoo, I've got money to spend! I might just have to pick up the TourFella side cases and racks, to go with the top case that I currently have on the bike. Nice of them to do this, especially since it has been nearly 5 months since I bought the bike and they were under no obligation to do so. This is yet another reminder of why I enjoy dealing with CSC so much, instead of a local mainstream motorcycle dealership.

pyoungbl
02-08-2020, 05:39 PM
Time to change the title of this thread?

1cylinderwonder
02-09-2020, 11:28 AM
Time to change the title of this thread?

Okay, here is the New Title for this LESS EXPENSIVE motorcycle! :clap:

“$5495 for RX4” :hi:

Math Teacher
03-17-2020, 09:45 PM
My RX4 now has 2,500 miles on it now and is running great. I noticed the gear shift lever was feeling a little loose and easily tightened it back up with a 5mm allen wrench.

Working_ZS
03-18-2020, 06:22 PM
I haven't had mine out yet, though the RX3 has been getting in plenty of reps this winter. I just finished installing my auxiliary lights and fabricating an electrical wiring harness for my KOSO Apollo heated grips and 5 way SAE lead. I also incorporated a couple of extra circuits for future use, if needed. With this harness, I only have two ring terminals attaching to the battery on each post (OEM and my custom harness), so this makes things a lot simpler and leaves less room for things to go wrong.

I still need to reupholster the seat and fix the clutch lever micro switch boss. I should be able to get those knocked out this week. Then I just have to wait out the rain, which is due to clear out on Saturday. Temperatures will be in the 30's and 40's F, so the hand guards and heated grips will get thoroughly tested.

Math Teacher
04-09-2020, 03:42 PM
I rode my RX3 for many years on the So Cal freeways. It was perfect.
Small, light enough, easy to split lanes in the terrible traffic.
I was never going 100 mph like the Ninja guys,
but I was never going 0 mph like the rest of the traffic.
I could always get around. It was perfect.

Now I have the RX4 and there is no one on the freeway due to Covid 19.
The freeways are wide open and everyone is going 80 mph.
That would have been uncomfortable on the RX3, but the RX4 is perfect.
I am easily keeping up with traffic in the low 80's mph at 7000 rpm.
Getting close to 3,000 miles on the RX4 now. It is awesome.

Goob
04-18-2020, 01:13 PM
I rode my RX-4 back from Azusa in a two day run Wed-Thu last week. When I spec'd the bike out, I put everything on it that was available. I'm very glad that I upgraded the seat, to the Seat Concepts version. I've had SC seats on other bikes and have never been disappointed. The Apollo heated grips were another upgrade that is worth its weight.

The bike ran fine during the trip, I put 390 miles on it, taking secondary highways back to Las Vegas. My other bike is a 317lb Honda CB300R. It took a minute getting used to the extra 100 plus pounds. I'm already planning a trip to Phoenix and Tucson for later this month, or the first of next month.

I don't intend to use this on the dirt that much, gravel or smooth dirt. I think this is the touring bike I've been looking for. My experience at CSC was great! Everybody is very helpful and friendly. I'd like to get a TT250 and a San Gabriel sometime.

Hello,

While I am not quite ready to buy yet, I am thinking of doing what you did and pick up the bike in Azusa to ride home. My ride would be a bit longer; to Denver.

Do you think there is any issue with running a new bike for such a trip (1000 miles, lots of up and down altitude changes thru Utah, then the Continental Divide in Colorado)?

I know I would need to do an oil change half-way, but I would be stopping anyway for the night at close to 500 miles (I figure on 3 days of 325/day, so at the end of day 2 do an oil change).

Did CSC give you any advice?

Thanks,

Goob

Working_ZS
04-19-2020, 11:01 AM
Do you think there is any issue with running a new bike for such a trip (1000 miles, lots of up and down altitude changes thru Utah, then the Continental Divide in Colorado)?

I know I would need to do an oil change half-way, but I would be stopping anyway for the night at close to 500 miles (I figure on 3 days of 325/day, so at the end of day 2 do an oil change).

I wouldn't stress out too much about doing the oil change at 500 miles; I waited until I hit 750 on mine and it didn't harm the engine. I'm confidant that you can go the 1000 miles without doing an oil change until you get home. The important thing will be to avoid holding a constant throttle while heading back from CSC. The engine will need lots of acceleration and deceleration cycles, in order to wear in the rings properly, thus avoiding sealing issues that could lead to oil burning. You might want to consider planning your route with lots of two lane back roads, especially for the first 500 miles, in order to get a good engine break in. After those first 500 miles you should be good to hit the interstates for long stretches; though I would still be varying the throttle a lot, where traffic conditions allowed (slow down, then full throttle acceleration, roll off throttle for full engine braking, then back to cruising speed). With traffic being super light at the moment due to the pandemic shutdown, you probably won't have a better opportunity than now to do this.

pyoungbl
04-20-2020, 02:48 PM
Goob, a 1000 mile break in ride should not be a problem if you follow the suggestions already mentioned. Just to be on the safe side, I'd carry a quart of 10W50 non synthetic oil. Check the level daily and add as necessary. You probably won't need more than a small amount but it's always better to have the oil than need it...only to find the stores closed.

Peter Y.

iswearimstock
05-11-2020, 08:37 PM
Just purchased a RX4, any owners here know the handlebar diameter? I want to buy a new Pro Taper but unsure which. As soon as it gets here by the end of the month I want to install. Thanks for the help ahead of time!!! ��

NzBrakelathes
05-12-2020, 10:32 AM
Just purchased a RX4, any owners here know the handlebar diameter? I want to buy a new Pro Taper but unsure which. As soon as it gets here by the end of the month I want to install. Thanks for the help ahead of time!!! ��

Just normal taper I’m sure

pyoungbl
05-12-2020, 12:45 PM
I measured mine for you; 27.5mm at the triple tree, 22.5mm at the grips.

iswearimstock
05-24-2020, 03:39 PM
Thank you so much!

iswearimstock
05-24-2020, 03:42 PM
So judging by that diameter a Tusk Chub with a triple tree diameter of 1 1/8 and bar ends of 7/8 should fit theoretically. Also does anyone know what "bend" is the closest to stock? Example: YZ, ATV,CR Ect.

jthewood
06-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Hi gang. Is there another location for additional RX4 threads? I've been looking and can only find this thread. Whats the deal?

Thanks, J

2LZ
06-03-2020, 06:39 PM
Hi gang. Is there another location for additional RX4 threads? I've been looking and can only find this thread. Whats the deal?

Thanks, J
Not that I know of here. So far, the RX4 hasn't taken off here like most other bikes, probably due to the fact we're cheap SOB's and it's kinda pricey for most of us.
Hopefully as they sell, maybe more folks will show up. Have you checked FB or Thumpertalk?

wheelbender6
06-03-2020, 07:08 PM
I use advrider forum as sort of a measure of how popular new bike models are. The RX4 has not taken off there. Admittedly, advrider members are fiercely loyal to their DR650s, KLRs, BMW GSs, etc.

Working_ZS
06-03-2020, 11:25 PM

Thanks, J

There is a active thread over on ADVRider:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/csc-rx4.1346649/

It's quite a bit more active than this one here on China Riders.

Chris_Top_Her
06-05-2020, 11:44 PM
Just bought one, what are people doing to add aux lights (specifically mounting point)? Heard the stock light isn't that great.

calvarez
06-07-2020, 04:19 PM
The RX3 stock headlight bulb is awful. But the headlight housing is good. If the RX4 is the same, then an LED upgrade will work well if you get the right one. CSC sells one, and they mark it up a bit, but horribly so. I bought the same one for $20 less locally. I also tried a cheaper one and it was awful. Get the one CSC recommends.

For aux lights, I got a set of tube mounts and put them on the guards. $20-ish on Amazon for four of them (only needed two).

https://i.imgur.com/3I0SOoy.jpg

Chris_Top_Her
06-08-2020, 03:26 AM
I use advrider forum as sort of a measure of how popular new bike models are. The RX4 has not taken off there. Admittedly, advrider members are fiercely loyal to their DR650s, KLRs, BMW GSs, etc.

The addition of an RX4 sub forum might attract lurkers or new owners to the forum.

1cylinderwonder
06-08-2020, 10:30 AM
Having a sub forum, or a well structured RX4 Forum, would be a good plan to help provide information and photos about the GOOD, the BAD and Special of the RX4 motorcycle.
It would also be a GOOD IDEA to offer the RX4 for sale without a lot of expensive extra accessors and equipment included. I always like using my motorcycle accessories I own already on new bikes I purchase. Plus I don’t like the weight and space taken with a lot of excessive luggage, racks and baggage.
GGOD LUCK!

The addition of an RX4 sub forum might attract lurkers or new owners to the forum.

wheelbender6
06-08-2020, 12:05 PM
I agree. The RX3 started the revolution but the RX4 deserves it's own sub-forum.

JerryHawk250
06-08-2020, 12:38 PM
I agree. The RX3 started the revolution but the RX4 deserves it's own sub-forum.

Having a sub forum, or a well structured RX4 Forum, would be a good plan to help provide information and photos about the GOOD, the BAD and Special of the RX4 motorcycle.
It would also be a GOOD IDEA to offer the RX4 for sale without a lot of expensive extra accessors and equipment included. I always like using my motorcycle accessories I own already on new bikes I purchase. Plus I don’t like the weight and space taken with a lot of excessive luggage, racks and baggage.
GGOD LUCK!

I'm working making this happen. :tup:

pyoungbl
06-08-2020, 04:02 PM
The RX3 stock headlight bulb is awful. But the headlight housing is good. If the RX4 is the same,

The RX4 headlight is a significant upgrade from the RX3. There's really no comparison. In addition to the obvious bulb and reflector being different, the RX4 has a LED perimeter running light for daytime use. The actual headlight can be set to come on automatically in low light conditions. Thus, you don't eat up as many electrons during daylight riding while still meeting the legal requirement to have a light on.

calvarez
06-08-2020, 09:19 PM

Or just dilute an already small group and make things worse. A lot of things will apply to both. But I probably wouldn't participate in an RX4 group, and bet a lot of others won't either. I think it would be smarter to just expand this group to both.

NzBrakelathes
06-17-2020, 03:11 AM

China the same - Plenty other better more cooler bikes even tho they cost a bit more

Chris_Top_Her
06-17-2020, 04:21 PM
China the same - Plenty other better more cooler bikes even tho they cost a bit more
Do you have an ali express store?

NzBrakelathes
06-18-2020, 06:57 AM
Do you have an ali express store?

No that costs usd2000 a year and you must be local and and and rules and rules etc
Generally eBay or just direct sales etc
I don’t stock parts but get as needed

iswearimstock
06-18-2020, 10:09 PM
No that costs usd2000 a year and you must be local and and and rules and rules etc
Generally eBay or just direct sales etc
I don’t stock parts but get as needed

Hey what's up dude! I'm the guy that sent you the message on eBay that's interested in the RX4 wheels that are tubeless!