PDA

View Full Version : Apparently i needed to buy a Soul....and now it has gone bad...

Darkrider
11-25-2018, 02:17 PM
As most of you know a year ago this month my wife and i purchased a 2016 Kia Soul. For most of our time owning it it has been a great little car. A couple weeks ago we tried to trade it in on a 2018 Hyundai Tucsun to get into a second awd suv for the wife. Around that time i felt a bit unsettled when it came to the kia. Perhaps that was a forewarning of what was to come. Fast forward to thursday and the kia suffered a possible engine failure due to low oil pressure. Now i am completely stumped as to why it was suddenly a quart or more low without signs of leakage or burning oil. It is currently at a kia dealer two hours away and im just waiting to hear what they have found. I do know i most likely spun a bearing as there is a rod knock at anything above 1500 rpm. Ben2go mentioned some possible causes in the what did you buy thread. Figured as this may become a saga in itself it would be best to start this thread..

ben2go
11-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Those spec oil filters are the key to engine problems on any Kia/Hyundai GDI engine. They have a check valve that stops the oil from draining back out of the top end and crank bearings. Dry starts are a problem with non spec filters. If there are any signs of a non Kia/Hyundai filter being used on the car, the warranty is void. We had all of our work done on our '15 Soul at our local Kia dealer. Also, not following the Kia maintenance schedule will void the warranty. Our car has had over $10,000 in warranty work done to it in the three years we have owned it. Everyone we talked to that has owned Souls have bragged about how reliable the car is. We have replaced all the emission system valves and switches, at 40,000 miles the transmission and torque converter was replaced, the spark plugs have been replaced twice, the switch for the speaker lights, the front overhead light with sunglass holder, and rear center seat belt. Since purchasing this car, it has always cut back really bad when pulling off from a stop. No one, not even the main Kia headquarters can figure it out.

Oh, if you bought the extended warranty, it's not a Kia warranty. That runs out at 60,000 miles. The extended warranty is whatever crap the dealer comes up with. It may be their extended warranty or one of those scam warranties from TV.

As mentioned in the other thread, the GDI system puts the injectors in the head so the intake valves don't get a clean cool spray of fuel. Instead, the valves stay hot. Any oil that leaks past the valve seals or through the PVC system will coke up the back of the intake valves. If that stuff gets into the engine, it can cause knock. I'm not sure if it sounds like a rod knock though.

Independent shops have a system that uses walnut shells blasted at the back of the valves. The engine is rotated until the valves are shut. Then the system is installed on that cylinder's head ports. Then the valves are blasted clean. Kia/Hyundai refuse to use this, but BMW will in certain situations. If it's good enough for BMW to consider, even under certain circumstances, it's good enough for a Kia I think.

Preventative measures have been taken by owners. Two methods that seem to work, assuming the valve seals are not leaking, are adding a catch can to the PVC system and using methanol injection. Methanol injection isn't used for power. It's used to keep the valves sprayed clean. No one has said, that I am aware of, if using one injector upstream works best or individual injectors in the intake runners. Using de-icing windshield washer fluid only takes a few dollars between oil changes and it's methanol based. The catch can get emptied every few oil changes.

Many good videos can be found on youtube showing the walnut shell blasting systems with before and after shots.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=walnut+shell+intake+valve+cle aning

JerryHawk250
11-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Thanks for posting the information about the oil filter. :tup: My wife has a 2016 Kia Soul and I do all the maintenance. It's about due for an oil change so I'll make sure to get the right filter.

Darkrider
11-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Well here is an update: Car will need a new engine. Just waiting on a write up from the dealer on initial findings so far. Have sent the only service record i have for it which was from the cars first oil change in my ownership

Darkrider
11-26-2018, 06:31 PM
Further Update: Tech at Kia dealer found that it was 2.5 L low on oil, Could not find any oil leaks but did find moisture on oil cap. They also inspected the cylinders and found that they were badly scored. So now i am in the process of locating the paperwork from when i bought the car to send to them to get warranty coverage.

ben2go
11-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Thanks for posting the information about the oil filter. :tup: My wife has a 2016 Kia Soul and I do all the maintenance. It's about due for an oil change so I'll make sue to get the right filter.

:tup: You're welcome.

Further Update: Tech at Kia dealer found that it was 2.5 L low on oil, Could not find any oil leaks but did find moisture on oil cap. They also inspected the cylinders and found that they were badly scored. So now i am in the process of locating the paperwork from when i bought the car to send to them to get warranty coverage.

I hope they come through for you. It sounds like the Kia filters weren't used for oil changes. Usually it's bearing or top end damage from not using Kia filters.

JerryHawk250
11-27-2018, 08:36 AM
I've been using the FRAM ULTRA Spin-on Oil Filter XG9688 which has the Anti-Drain back Valve so I should be okay.

imapdog
11-27-2018, 08:37 AM
Thanks for posting the information about the oil filter. :tup: My wife has a 2016 Kia Soul and I do all the maintenance. It's about due for an oil change so I'll make sure to get the right filter.

i been on this oil filter issue for years of different kia models. ONLY substitute to use is mobile one filters as the 'valve' isnt the only need. i usually click re order for oem on amz a thousand miles before 5k intervals.
2016 soul here too! always use syn too. will keep it quiet(no ticking) when reaching its age.
mobile one oil and filter or kia filter and mobile one oil.....for life. i dont even trust the dealership oil brand-type either! my wife always used dealership for oil service on 16' sorento and yes she got the kia filter but engine is noisy a little bit at 60k miles. i changed it last time myself with oem filter and mobile one, and she purrs perfect and cant even here it running at idle. ! kia always been this way. weird but true. i keep receipts of every materials needed at changes....

JerryHawk250
11-27-2018, 09:03 AM
i been on this oil filter issue for years of different kia models. ONLY substitute to use is mobile one filters as the 'valve' isnt the only need. i usually click re order for oem on amz a thousand miles before 5k intervals.
2016 soul here too! always use syn too. will keep it quiet(no ticking) when reaching its age.
mobile one oil and filter or kia filter and mobile one oil.....for life. i dont even trust the dealership oil brand-type either! my wife always used dealership for oil service on 16' sorento and yes she got the kia filter but engine is noisy a little bit at 60k miles. i changed it last time myself with oem filter and mobile one, and she purrs perfect and cant even here it running at idle. ! kia always been this way. weird but true. i keep receipts of every materials needed at changes.... I run synthetic in everything I have after the initial break-in. True believer in synthetic. I've had work trucks with over 600,000 miles that engines were still in great shape when I sold them.

JerryHawk250
11-27-2018, 09:09 AM

Hope all goes well. Seems like anytime I have warranty work it's always a battle.

Essayons
11-27-2018, 01:18 PM
Fingers crossed for you Jerry. Hopefully the aftermarket parts didn't lead to the engine failure. They can't legally force you to use their parts but they can deny warranty if a non OEM part led to the warranty issue.

Darkrider
11-27-2018, 01:48 PM
Fingers crossed for you Jerry. Hopefully the aftermarket parts didn't lead to the engine failure. They can't legally force you to use their parts but they can deny warranty if a non OEM part led to the warranty issue.

It was my car that had the failure but Jerry is working on a similar model.

Emerikol
11-27-2018, 02:37 PM
The Missus and I had a 2007 Kia Sportage 4cyl a few years ago. Terrible vehicle. It was the first and last Hyundai/Kia product we'll ever own. Subframe bushing went bad at ~24k, and we took it in to get it checked out. They said that everything was just fine. Took it in again at 32k, 45k, and 55k. Low and behold, as soon as we rolled 60k (and were out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty period) they were able to pinpoint the bushings and wanted to charge us over $1,400 to replace them. I told them the car was in there several times before for the same issue, and that it should be covered under warranty. They said that the vehicle was working correctly at the time it was in and wouldn't honor the warranty claim. >:( Then the trans needed to get overhauled at ~115k. Overall a terrible vehicle. Sorry you're having problems with one, too. Seems to be a pattern developing.

JerryHawk250
11-27-2018, 02:46 PM
We had a 2006 Hyundai Tuscan and put just over 84,000 miles on it with not a single issue but had the v6. That's why we got the Kia Soul. So far 26,000 miles and all good.

Darkrider
11-27-2018, 02:48 PM
There is a pretty good chance we may end up trying to trade it off again after we get it back... Not sure just yet on that one. But for now we keep pluggin away at fixing the various little fixes the Astro needs to be a good DD.

Essayons
11-28-2018, 01:52 AM
Sorry Darkrider. Should of put my glasses on ha ha. Re-crossing fingers for you.

Darkrider
11-29-2018, 03:38 PM
New Update: Kia Canada is covering a new engine. Plus i have confirmed with the dealer doing the work that i can fit a catch can to help protect the new engine without causing any issues in the future.

JerryHawk250
11-29-2018, 03:48 PM
New Update: Kia Canada is covering a new engine. Plus i have confirmed with the dealer doing the work that i can fit a catch can to help protect the new engine without causing any issues in the future.
That's good news :tup:

2LZ
11-29-2018, 05:37 PM
Wow....just wow. We live in a day now that if you don't get at least 180k trouble free miles out of a rig, it's odd. This is painful to read but I'm really glad they've decided to honor the warranty and get you back on the road.

Darkrider
11-29-2018, 06:16 PM
I'm glad as well. Irony being i was looking at possible replacements for it this week. Even test drove a newer Ram 1500 crew cab and looked at a '17 Renegade North edition. They are also replacing one of the key fobs along with handling a steering rack recall on it.

ben2go
11-29-2018, 08:49 PM
I'm happy to hear this. Kia Can is better than Kia SC US. :tup:

Darkrider
12-16-2018, 10:12 PM
Update: The car is home now after an eventful retrieval run. Found out that it happened to fall within a certain range of VIN numbers of cars affected by a bad batch of bearings in the engine hence the failure.

ben2go
12-16-2018, 11:44 PM
Update: The car is home now after an eventful retrieval run. Found out that it happened to fall within a certain range of VIN numbers of cars affected by a bad batch of bearings in the engine hence the failure.
They have no other choice but to replace the engine under warranty. :clap:

Emerikol
12-17-2018, 12:41 AM

That's great news, Darkrider. Glad it worked out for you. Wishing you many more trouble free miles for your slightly tarnished Soul. :lmao: Seriously, I'm glad they honored the warranty for the engine bearings and dropped a new mill in for you.

2LZ
12-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Great news....and with little fanfare.

Darkrider
12-17-2018, 03:00 PM
They have no other choice but to replace the engine under warranty. :clap:

Yup pretty much what the service guy at the dealership said too.

That's great news, Darkrider. Glad it worked out for you. Wishing you many more trouble free miles for your slightly tarnished Soul. :lmao: Seriously, I'm glad they honored the warranty for the engine bearings and dropped a new mill in for you.

I was seriously looking at the idea of sending it out the door once it got back. But after driving it again for nearly 500 km since picking it up at noon on Saturday. I gotta say i actually missed driving this thing. So it will be sticking around for quite awhile yet. Will be doing the catch can mod come spring to help this new mill last.

Great news....and with little fanfare.

Yup...but some nice pics from the trip though...

Darkrider
12-17-2018, 03:01 PM
Sorry about the sideways pics..

JerryHawk250
12-17-2018, 03:07 PM
Sorry about the sideways pics..
That's okay, I just turned my screen sideways. :hehe:

Darkrider
03-26-2020, 10:55 AM
And so this Saga has come to a close due to a repo...

JerryHawk250
03-26-2020, 11:03 AM
Sorry to here. :cry: That's got to suck. We came close last year on having to give up one of our vehicles too. Got lucky and the finance company worked with us.
My wife Kia Soul is still going strong with just over 68,000 miles on it. This car has run flawless. Hopefully things will get better for you.

Darkrider
03-28-2020, 11:22 AM
Sorry to here. :cry: That's got to suck. We came close last year on having to give up one of our vehicles too. Got lucky and the finance company worked with us.
My wife Kia Soul is still going strong with just over 68,000 miles on it. This car has run flawless. Hopefully things will get better for you.

The company that had the loan on the Soul was the problem here. I tried to work with them as best as i could. But in the end it came down to a lot of left hand not knowing what the right was doing. Thankfully the bank that has the truck loan is much easier to deal with. Plus with this coronavirus situation large banks like TD are putting a hold on a lot of activities.