PDA

View Full Version : A Shineray of hope!! 400cc that is!!

culcune
12-16-2018, 01:40 AM
I know this bike was shown what must be 3 years ago. Never made it here, but now...well, it IS here according to the video. http://www.genuinescooters.com/g400c.html https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRgQvwqsZIQ

Essayons
12-16-2018, 01:50 AM
Sweet looking ride. Looking forward to some reviews.

pete
12-16-2018, 02:04 AM
motor looks like a Honda XR400 copy...

culcune
12-16-2018, 02:20 AM
motor looks like a Honda XR400 copy...

I believe it is--Shineray have an acclaimed dual sport from years back which used this engine. I vaguely recall from mychinamoto.com one or two members there (ex-pats living in China with the bike) mentioning that.

pete
12-16-2018, 02:42 AM
Wonder if they copyed it right down to the valve configgeration..
radial four valve system...all valves are on a diffrent plain and
valve angles would meet at a centre point of the piston crown
when the piston is at BDC..

is one of the reasons why the XR motors had a little more punch than other motors of the day...

Megadan
12-16-2018, 03:27 AM
I love it. This is the kind of bike I have kind of been hoping would come to the U.S. I think the $4,600 price tag is a little bit steep considering a Honda Rebel 300/500 can be had for not much more money. I guess this does definitely offer a more vintage looking/feeling bike though, so to each his/her own. I would be heavily interested in one of these if I knew I could get my hands on one for $4000.

NzBrakelathes
12-16-2018, 05:17 AM
Word on the streets in China is that it looks great but not good, I knew a several guys here that had the X5 off road ----- not good and Shineray engines are weak and break 2nd gear (X2 and X5 both off road bikes)

I like the bike and the motor is a CB400SS copy but not well made (There is a Taiwanese company who makes them and they are good)

Plenty of comments on other forums and I wanted to buy one, I knew a couple guys and they which they hadn't bought them (X5).
1 had endless charge issues and a busted 2nd gear as well as several swing arms, the other I did repairs on he busted a starter in 9 months and he had several leaking tanks due to poor manufacturing.
Their X2 was maybe a little better but also busted 2nd gear easily.
The engine is the same in the Retro but seeing they are not off road then maybe OK if not off roaded.
My local mechanic services the version with the side cart - he also says not a very good quality bike. lowish quality bits and parts and for $5000 that's a fair chunk of change

Should have Delphi EFI (its good not perfect)

If you can buy the U.K.400 that has the Taiwan built engine and better quality all round

Mudflap
12-16-2018, 06:00 AM
Hope they didn't copy the Honda XR's 4 valve head. Its a bizarre design with rocker arms on top of rocker arms at weird angles. It was always noisy and parts tended to wear out.

Megadan
12-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Word on the streets in China is that it looks great but not good, I knew a several guys here that had the X5 off road ----- not good and Shineray engines are weak and break 2nd gear (X2 and X5 both off road bikes)

I like the bike and the motor is a CB400SS copy but not well made (There is a Taiwanese company who makes them and they are good)

Plenty of comments on other forums and I wanted to buy one, I knew a couple guys and they which they hadn't bought them (X5).
1 had endless charge issues and a busted 2nd gear as well as several swing arms, the other I did repairs on he busted a starter in 9 months and he had several leaking tanks due to poor manufacturing.
Their X2 was maybe a little better but also busted 2nd gear easily.
The engine is the same in the Retro but seeing they are not off road then maybe OK if not off roaded.
My local mechanic services the version with the side cart - he also says not a very good quality bike. lowish quality bits and parts and for $5000 that's a fair chunk of change

Should have Delphi EFI (its good not perfect)

If you can buy the U.K.400 that has the Taiwan built engine and better quality all round

From all of the information I could find the Genuine brand G400C is made in Taiwan, and it has the Delphi EFI.

Weirdly I would rather have a carburetor on this bike myself. Looks like the motor has an XR400 intake pattern, so converting it wouldn't be difficult.

Hope they didn't copy the Honda XR's 4 valve head. Its a bizarre design with rocker arms on top of rocker arms at weird angles. It was always noisy and parts tended to wear out.

I had a 400 for a brief time, and I never found the valvetrain to be much louder than most other solid lift/follower styles out there. The secondary adjuster rocker arm setup is definitely a strange one though, I will grant that. Mine had more problems with the timing chain adjuster than it ever did with the valvetrain though.

On the plus side of things, if it does follow the XR design closely, that also means there are lots of performance parts that could be swapped over. :)

I think this bike would be awesome for a cheap and easy flat tracker build.

NzBrakelathes
12-16-2018, 11:00 AM
From all of the information I could find the Genuine brand G400C is made in Taiwan, and it has the Delphi EFI.

Weirdly I would rather have a carburetor on this bike myself. Looks like the motor has an XR400 intake pattern, so converting it wouldn't be difficult.

Thne it is not a Shineray or not a Shineray motor - that would be a bonus

I had a 400 for a brief time, and I never found the valvetrain to be much louder than most other solid lift/follower styles out there. The secondary adjuster rocker arm setup is definitely a strange one though, I will grant that. Mine had more problems with the timing chain adjuster than it ever did with the valvetrain though.

On the plus side of things, if it does follow the XR design closely, that also means there are lots of performance parts that could be swapped over. :)

I think this bike would be awesome for a cheap and easy flat tracker build.

The motor has a seesaw lever across each pair of valve, I am told very clear it is a clone CB400SS which I think might have been a Japan only bike - motor very similar to the XR400 tho.

Barnone
12-16-2018, 11:03 AM
The Genuine G400C is a Shineray rebadged. Mainland China.

NzBrakelathes
12-16-2018, 11:04 AM

It is and I did a valve adj on the X5 using 0.06 intake and 0.08 exhaust for a great deal more torque and no noise at all.

I remember thinking that it all looked very weird in there and wondered where I should pock the feeler gauge

NzBrakelathes
12-16-2018, 11:08 AM

Pity then, might be Ok as a road bike, def not good in the off road bikes.
The parts are pretty cheap resulting in some quality issues and at that price........... it isn't a budget bike to be fair.

Local price is something like RX3 price range just around $3100 USD at my local dealer. parts are easy enough to get............. generally speaking

Megadan
12-16-2018, 04:36 PM

Might want to tell Genuine that information. Even their site says Taiwan. I do find it funny that in pictures and video it says made in China many places. So it could be assembled in Taiwan.

NzBrakelathes
12-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Might want to tell Genuine that information. Even their site says Taiwan. I do find it funny that in pictures and video it says made in China many places. So it could be assembled in Taiwan.

Taiwan is China lol
Often the Taiwanese bikes or parts are assembled in China due to cheap labour but again maybe dealer has incorrect info listed as they don't know or care and buyers just buy and part with money. Many people don't want you to know too much beyond only parting with your cash.
I think as a road bike not ridden hard it be a nice fun bike but price tag is up there and some folk at that would rather buy a mainstream bike.
Anyway that is enough from me lol

:lmao:

culcune
12-16-2018, 09:02 PM
I will check the EPA site to see where it states they are made. For two years in a row, these were certified through Shineray, but we did not get the bike, but I noticed yesterday, on the 2019 list, the company certifying the bike was actually Genuine. I am on my phone right now at my sister's for dinner, but when I get to my laptop and will see where it states they are manufactured as it does not appear to be Shineray.

culcune
12-16-2018, 09:11 PM
Okay, phone is better than I thought. I was able to download the certification list for on-road motorcycles. The bike's and engine's OEM is Shineray. However, I am guessing it might be better in quality than what NZbrakelathes states similar to how Bashan is considered low quality in China yet is top notch here. ( taking the Chinese into account).

Barnone
12-16-2018, 09:19 PM
http://www.shineray.com/company-introduction.html
Country People's Republic of China
Municipality Chongqing

Chongqing Shineray Motorcycle CO., Ltd

Address:8 Shineray Road, Hangu Town, Jiulongpo District,

Chongqing-401329, China

culcune
12-16-2018, 10:03 PM
Okay, phone is better than I thought. I was able to download the certification list for on-road motorcycles. The bike's and engine's OEM is Shineray. However, I am guessing it might be better in quality than what NZbrakelathes states similar to how Bashan is considered low quality in China yet is top notch here. ( taking the Chinese into account).

NzBrakelathes
12-16-2018, 10:13 PM

The Chinese guys working in Chongqing are saying the quality is poor
The American consumers are saying the quality is good.

Right now I understand lol

Who to believe huh:crazy:

NzBrakelathes
12-16-2018, 10:27 PM
Here’s the Taiwan engine similar bike etc

culcune
12-17-2018, 12:10 AM
The Chinese guys working in Chongqing are saying the quality is poor
The American consumers are saying the quality is good.

Right now I understand lol

Who to believe huh:crazy:

I am not saying you are wrong or 'lying' but I have a feeling higher quality bikes are being exported while the cheap bikes stay in China and/or are sent to 3rd world countries. Bashan's apparent quality make them 'top o' the heap' as far as Chinese bikes go in the US. My friend who distributes TGB scooters had said the same thing about Bashan several years ago when he was not distributing TGB but rather Chinese bikes. He had 'heard' that Bashan was set up in a part of the country that had reclaimed farm land and turned industrial. A group of well compensated farmers started Bashan, so the impression was they would be bottom of the barrel in quality. However, we are hearing of less issues with Bashan's dual sport bikes (Storm, Brozz, Shark, and their DB-41h Hawk copy, aka Enforcer, and initial quality with BMS's CRP 250) than RPS's Hawk. At least that is my impression--it seems they have better quality control for the bikes coming here. What might help is they still have the same North and South American rep in China from at least 3 years ago (when I started corresponding with him when he introduced the Brozz on mychinamoto.com) so he knows what we expect and makes sure Bashan delivers. Just a theory. As far as the Genuine 400 is concerned, it is too soon to tell, but Genuine has a decent reputation in the US, so I am sure would not knowingly roll out an expensive low quality bike. But again, it is way too soon to tell, so people will have to see them in person and/or purchase them to give us a true report. They are offered on Scooter Dynasty's website, and since they are located in downtown L.A. and if I have time after Christmas, I might hop on the subway with my kid(s) for a downtown 'adventure' to sit on it.

NzBrakelathes
12-17-2018, 12:36 AM
3 wheel version

I think there are many opinions and each to their own ;)
Bashan isn’t sold here like many brands as they are just export companies

NzBrakelathes
12-17-2018, 12:59 AM
My mates shop
Actually the 2 wheel Shineray 400 is a carb version, to be fair I think EFI on the road bikes is easier and better suited.

Megadan
12-17-2018, 05:46 AM
I still stand by my statement that U.S. Importers can greatly influence the quality control of the products they sell. CSC is a great case in point of this. You pay more, but get more for your dollar. It's still a cheap bike, but TT250 owners definitely have far fewer issues than us Hawkers.

The fact that Genuine is offering a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty on the bike is rather encouraging. How good they are at warranty claims is a whole other question, but they seem to have a decent reputation. A company wouldn't offer that kind of warranty without some level of confidence that they are selling a good product. Hence why Hawks have a measly 90 day warranty, and RPS and it's dealers are terrible at honoring their pathetic warranty to begin with.

I agree with culcune that it is simply too soon to tell for sure, but I am honestly strongly considering trying to get my hands on one. I would love to try and recover the missing 8hp that a real XR400 engine makes.

I think EFI on the road bikes is easier and better suited.
In many ways yes, EFI is much better for a road bike for a majority of people, but of the 15 bikes I have owned, only 3 have had EFI. In many ways carbs are wonderful, and honestly not that terrible once you get them dialed in. The only real thing you gain from EFI is not having to tune/tweak for climate or elevation changes.

goat67
12-17-2018, 07:03 AM

Hello
Regarding the Bashan bikes do you know who makes the engines? When looking at pictures it sure looks like a Zongshen

NzBrakelathes
12-17-2018, 07:11 AM
I still stand by my statement that U.S. Importers can greatly influence the quality control of the products they sell. CSC is a great case in point of this. You pay more, but get more for your dollar. It's still a cheap bike, but TT250 owners definitely have far fewer issues than us Hawkers.

The fact that Genuine is offering a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty on the bike is rather encouraging. How good they are at warranty claims is a whole other question, but they seem to have a decent reputation. A company wouldn't offer that kind of warranty without some level of confidence that they are selling a good product. Hence why Hawks have a measly 90 day warranty, and RPS and it's dealers are terrible at honoring their pathetic warranty to begin with.

I agree with culcune that it is simply too soon to tell for sure, but I am honestly strongly considering trying to get my hands on one. I would love to try and recover the missing 8hp that a real XR400 engine makes.

In many ways yes, EFI is much better for a road bike for a majority of people, but of the 15 bikes I have owned, only 3 have had EFI. In many ways carbs are wonderful, and honestly not that terrible once you get them dialed in. The only real thing you gain from EFI is not having to tune/tweak for climate or elevation changes.

Trust me 100% when I say " China's roads are not like American roads" I have traveled both! I rode a fair amount in Sichuan and yeah bikes get a bit more of a beating lol:lmao:

Shineray don't gave 2 years, only 1 year here and I kinda see why lol.

NzBrakelathes
12-17-2018, 07:15 AM
Hello
Regarding the Bashan bikes do you know who makes the engines? When looking at pictures it sure looks like a Zongshen

A dozen places assemble them and dozens make the parts etc - they all look the same cause from the same drawing board.
Zongshen only assemble stuff and they have their casting factories (pretty sure on that)

Merlin
12-17-2018, 12:13 PM
The engine on this bike looks very much like the notoriously bad 400cc on Wild_Alaskan's bike. They could never get these engines to hold up. If it is indeed the same engine I would pass on this bike. Wild_Alaskan what do you think does it seem like the same engine to you?

NzBrakelathes
12-17-2018, 07:14 PM
The engine on this bike looks very much like the notoriously bad 400cc on Wild_Alaskan's bike. They could never get these engines to hold up. If it is indeed the same engine I would pass on this bike. Wild_Alaskan what do you think does it seem like the same engine to you?

I heard PitsterPro had a 400 and wondered if that was a Shineray?
You got a pic?

Barnone
12-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Looks like the Pitster Pro 400 is no longer available.
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=8076

Merlin
12-17-2018, 09:19 PM
You got a pic?

http://www.chinariders.net/album.php?albumid=63&pictureid=290

Weldangrind
12-18-2018, 11:21 AM

Merlin, you're right about the failed 400 engine, but it wasn't Wild Alaskan; he installed a 400 Honda (XR400, IIRC) engine in his Lifan. Doc bought a 400 Pitster Pro from another member, and that was a catastrophe.
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=8930

2LZ
12-18-2018, 12:44 PM
Merlin, you're right about the failed 400 engine, but it wasn't Wild Alaskan; he installed a 400 Honda (XR400, IIRC) engine in his Lifan. Doc bought a 400 Pitster Pro from another member, and that was a catastrophe.

"catastrophe". Don't you think that's sugar-coating it a bit, Weld??? ;-)

Merlin
12-18-2018, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the correction. The engine on Wild Alaskan's bike looks like the same engine on the bike in this thread.

culcune
12-18-2018, 03:23 PM
You got a pic?
It was Xingyue OEM. The Xinyue bikes were EPA/DOT certified for a few years, including selling them through Pitster Pro, but had a fatal engine flaw that could not be fixed.

culcune
12-18-2018, 03:31 PM
Hello

On the EPA/DOT certification list, Bashan is stated as the mfg. However, they OEM BMS's new enduro, the CRP 250, and BMS proudly states the engine is Zongshen OEM, so I tend to lean that way, that Bashan's engine OEM is Zongshen. TMEC's 196cc engine's OEM is Zongshen, but on their EPA certificate it states TMEC as the mfr.

NzBrakelathes
12-18-2018, 09:04 PM
On the EPA/DOT certification list, Bashan is stated as the mfg. However, they OEM BMS's new enduro, the CRP 250, and BMS proudly states the engine is Zongshen OEM, so I tend to lean that way, that Bashan's engine OEM is Zongshen. TMEC's 196cc engine's OEM is Zongshen, but on their EPA certificate it states TMEC as the mfr.

GPX is stated as the manufacturer on the Chinese bikes I believe, think that it isn't a real life reflection who "makes them" rather who is resposible etc.

I could well be wrong tho.

It wouldn't surprise me if they claim things to get around the rules lie they do in China, loads of fudged things

NzBrakelathes
12-18-2018, 09:06 PM
The Wild Alaska acording to Spud was the Shineray X2 bottom end (250cc and weak) plus a Rotex 400cc top end.
X2 they busted their 2nd gear and then add on a much bigger CC top end...............

goat67
12-19-2018, 07:26 AM

I wonder how I could verify it. I am thinking about getting a head for it to port it a bit and I read here that the CSC head is better place to start since it is a Zongshen head, So maybe compare my head with a CSC head?