PDA

View Full Version : Plasti dipping

toomanybulletss
01-30-2019, 11:52 PM
Has anyone here tried plastidipping their bike? I have a Lifan KP200 and I was looking into plastidip for it. I'm not sure how to take the farings off to spray them though and I can't find any guides online to take apart my bike model. If anyone has any info on that or plastidipping in general please let me know! Thanks :)

Mudflap
01-31-2019, 04:35 AM
I plastic dipped the side covers on the Roketta 200 in order to protect them from chafing from soft saddlebags. Worked great and peeled off easily after a couple years.

toomanybulletss
01-31-2019, 08:47 AM
That’s really cool, did you have to take it apart or did you do it with the parts still on the bike?

Mudflap
01-31-2019, 09:03 AM
I removed the side covers to spray them.

2LZ
01-31-2019, 10:01 AM
I've plasti-dipped a lot of stuff, including parts of my RX3 and car rims.
Just like paint, if you want it to last, it's all about the prep.

arca
02-01-2019, 09:07 AM
Just clean all parts good, no dust or something on the parts. nothing!
And then just spray the parts over at a distance of 15 cm to 25 cm and just cover the part quick. Dont need to cover all the part in the first try, just let dry 7 to 10 min the part and then spray it againn quick. Do it 4 to 5 times and then you have covered all the part and you have a good and thick plastic deep cover. Its easy to take of later and its stonger and better.

ChipToothy
02-01-2019, 12:08 PM
YouTube has some detailed plastidip videos. A few users really go the extra mile showing the how to process with their Ninja rims and supermoto’s etc.

roundhouse
02-03-2019, 02:14 PM
I bought the fin things on the tank, i have a black bike. So I dipped em black. Looks good and when they get scraped, easy to fix.

I thought about dipping all the plastics.

BigDukeSix
02-15-2019, 09:19 AM
I once plastidipped all of the chrome pieces on a truck I owned. I was surprised at how well it held up - the grille and wheels especially - It stayed on for a few months until I took it off just because I got tired of the look.

I won't contradict what others said about the importance of prepping, but in all fairness, on my truck I did a LOT less than prep than I would if I were painting.

Anyway, my experience was good enough that I recently ordered a few more cans for my bike - I bought a batwing for my V Star and I plan on plastidipping the fairing and all of the painted bits on the bike to match.

roundhouse
02-16-2019, 11:05 AM
BigDuke, want pics when you are done.

I plan on dipping the plastics and the tank this summer.

I did the grill of my jeep and when it needed touch up i masked it put cardboard behind it so it would not get the radiator and shot it with no prep work. Looked fine and stuck well.