PDA

View Full Version : New Hellcat gas gauge stuck help.

Shaggy5991
02-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Good morning guys, first post

I just got a new Hellcat and unboxed it.
I'm having a few issues that I could use some help with.

The main issue I cant figure out is my gas gauge is stuck on E wont move, I checked the float it moves properly, wiring is all connected I'm at a loss.

Wont idle without some choke even when warm and surges badly over 5k I'm replacing carb with a vm22 this weekend hope that's all that is.what size jets have you guys had luck with? So I have a starting point.

And had high crank pressure the crank vent was routed to the air box and not letting air through so I unplugged it and put a filter in it seems good now

Love the bike just a couple things I could use help with before its road worthy.

JerryHawk250
02-05-2019, 07:57 AM
Use an ohms meter to check the sending unit and make sure it is working. If that checks out then it's possible the gauge is bad. More than likely its a bad sending unit.

Shaggy5991
02-05-2019, 08:24 AM
The sending unit is part of the float assembly on the hellcat right? What reading should I be getting? Checking at the connector?

JerryHawk250
02-05-2019, 08:39 AM
The sending unit is part of the float assembly on the hellcat right? What reading should I be getting? Checking at the connector?
These are what the Hawk sending unit readings are. Fuel tank full, 09.0 Fuel tank empty, 96.6. Should be close to those same readings. on the Hellcat. Yes, check it at the connector.

wlfpck
02-05-2019, 09:13 AM
If you bought the hellcat new, call up the dealership you bought it from. There should be a warranty for like 3 months. Get that issue fixed now before you have to pay to fix it yourself and figure out what's wrong.

But... sounds like the float system isn't sending a signal to the gauge or... the gauge is not working. One of the 2.

Shaggy5991
02-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Thank you guys for the help, I bought it from Familygokarts I send them an email Friday and a call no response yet and im still waiting on registration.

Little concerned as the breather hose causing pressure and the fact it wont idle on top of the gas gauge is troubling

I expected a problem or 2 but seems like allot

I did change out the engine bolts and locktited everything just ready to ride it but cant really hoping the carb fixes the ride ability issues.

JerryHawk250
02-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Thank you guys for the help, I bought it from Familygokarts I send them an email Friday and a call no response yet and im still waiting on registration.

Little concerned as the breather hose causing pressure and the fact it wont idle on top of the gas gauge is troubling

I expected a problem or 2 but seems like allot

I did change out the engine bolts and locktited everything just ready to ride it but cant really hoping the carb fixes the ride ability issues.
I've read a few bad review on those guys. Hopefully they will take care of business and replace what needs replacing.
The carb issue is more than likely that the carb is tuned to lean at idle. The idle mixture can be adjusted once you remove the taper proof cap over the mixture screw. This is common with most of the china bikes.
The new carb will probably resolve those issue as you will be able to tune it without having to hack into the carb.

Shaggy5991
02-05-2019, 10:05 AM
I'm hoping they do, putting the carb on tommarow

Where have you guys relocated they line that goes into intake as the new pipe dosent have a spot for it.

Shaggy5991
02-06-2019, 11:32 AM
Went through it last night on 3/4 of a tank had 2.0omh at the connector drained some gas and it dropped to 1.7ohm as I pulled a little out. seems to be reading checked the connector its pinned right. Im at a loss.

JerryHawk250
02-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Went through it last night on 3/4 of a tank had 2.0omh at the connector drained some gas and it dropped to 1.7ohm as I pulled a little out. seems to be reading checked the connector its pinned right. Im at a loss.

I would go through all the connectors and make sure pins are pushed all the way in and locked in place.

Shaggy5991
02-06-2019, 01:09 PM
I would go through all the connectors and make sure pins are pushed all the way in and locked in place.

I'll do this again tonight see iif I missed something. Does anyone know if there is a fuse specifically for the gauge
t

Whisky
02-10-2019, 07:51 PM
I had similar issue's like your having. The gauge was a wire that was plugged into its connector but wasn't making a good connection. High /no idle, bad running
Was a carb jetting / turning problem.

Shaggy5991
02-10-2019, 09:36 PM
Carb was the issue, VM22 fixed the issue completely. Still tracking down the gas gauge issue, checked every connection no luck.