PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Hellcat am I doing it right?

scoot newb
03-10-2019, 07:13 AM
I just need the engine bolts but I don't know what to order.

There were so many VM22 knock offs to choose from I wasn't sure. Any suggestions about the current cart?
What size fuel line? 5/16ths seemed too big.

TIA

https://imgur.com/RDoeKzC.jpg

culcune
03-10-2019, 11:39 AM
I probably wouldn't order any of that until you get the bike running, and break the little beast in--that is me personally, and I do not consider myself an expert by any means, and this is based on my owning 3 Chinese 200cc enduros at one or another. The first thing you want to do is assemble the bike, and get it running for a FEW minutes. Do not ride it. Just get the break-in oil warm enough where it will drain out easier and more of it will pour out. Replace with recommended oil (not sure how much or what kind on the minis but the enduros loved the cheap Rotella 15w-40--generally a quart, but the bikes will tell you on the manufacturer's plate or somewhere on the bike and/or manual), and ride it for a 100 or 150 miles. Change the oil again, and ride for about 600 miles. NOW you want to consider all the improvements like carb, air filter, etc. Back to bolts--those can be changed out during assembly. I do not know what is a good replacement, but RedCrowRides is knowledgeable; however, he has a Vader and I don't recall seeing Hellkitty lately, so you might want to check on youtube for which bolts will work on the Hellcat. I am fairly certain I remember reading on Chinariders that Grom bolts go on the Vader, but not sure on the Hellcat.

RedCrowRides
03-10-2019, 12:02 PM
You need 3/16 " fuel line ,as you mentioned 5/16" is going to be too big ( well, unless you change a lot of fittings anyways) , here is a link to some 3/16" silicone fuel line on EBay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Line-Gas-Tube-Hose-3-16-5mm-ID-Motorcycle-Bike-Scooter-ATV-BLUE/142393354107?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649
That particular fuel line is transparent blue but you can find it in other colors, i know they have clear, red, and maybe a yellow, just search 3/16" silicone fuel line if you don't want blue .Also , check your fuel petcock, on the Vader it is on the carb itself, not the tank and it is pretty much non removable, and the Mikuni does not have it- so, if yours is the same, you need a inline fuel petcock to do a carb change , in a 3/16" size, again you can find that on Ebay for cheap.

i am a modification freak so i totally get the desire to start in on it, but as Culcune said , there is a lot to be said with just enjoying the thing "right out of the box" to get familiar with it and enjoy it before you start delving into probable down time to do mods - It's up to you , i mean it's pretty standard to change carb, pipe, filter for more performance but we dont mean to imply that these bikes won't run without doing them, they wouldnt sell many if those stock parts were so bad you couldnt even ride til you changed em out. If i had to suggest one urgent change you MUST do ,its change the engine oil, and maybe the fuel line(s) , the fuel lines they use is horrible to the point they start breaking down and flaking on the inside really fast ,which can cause all kinds of pains in the ass. Get that shipping oil OUT , and put some good , silicone fuel line on there and then you can do the carb, pipe, filter, etc at any point thereafter.

anyways thats my advice ,and if you need any help finding other parts etc. just post and i'll see if i can help .

scoot newb
03-10-2019, 12:02 PM
I think I've found the correct engine bolts. Plus, I hear they include replacements in the crate now.

I kind of need to mod this thing OOB because I've figured out they can barely cruise at 45mph stock and where I'm going to be riding to and from, that is not going to cut it.

I will definitely warm it up a bit and change out the shipping oil

EDIT

Cool thanks. I will replace the fuel line before starting it too and check to see if the petcock in built into the carb. In the videos and pics I've seen, the Tao Tao has a separate inline petock.

Hellkitty
03-10-2019, 01:27 PM
I think I've found the correct engine bolts. Plus, I hear they include replacements in the crate now.

I kind of need to mod this thing OOB because I've figured out they can barely cruise at 45mph stock and where I'm going to be riding to and from, that is not going to cut it.

I will definitely warm it up a bit and change out the shipping oil

EDIT

Cool thanks. I will replace the fuel line before starting it too and check to see if the petcock in built into the carb. In the videos and pics I've seen, the Tao Tao has a separate inline petock.

Mine did come with engines bolts taped to the outside of the crate, still not sure who put them there, but no one else has reported getting them.

Since I had the engines bolts I decided to install them before I even rode it, at the same time I also replaced the swing arm bolt and the rear axle with Grom parts. The Hellcat does come with a separate petcock. I put a different fuel tank on mine so the fuel valve is now mounted directly to the tank. I went a different direction with mine and turned it into a little dual purpose bike.

MDStroup
03-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Mine did come with engines bolts taped to the outside of the crate, still not sure who put them there, but no one else has reported getting them.

Since I had the engines bolts I decided to install them before I even rode it, at the same time I also replaced the swing arm bolt and the rear axle with Grom parts. The Hellcat does come with a separate petcock. I put a different fuel tank on mine so the fuel valve is now mounted directly to the tank. I went a different direction with mine and turned it into a little dual purpose bike.

That thing looks awesome!! What wheels and tires did you put on it? Also, why did you change the fuel tank?

Hellkitty
03-10-2019, 03:07 PM
That thing looks awesome!! What wheels and tires did you put on it? Also, why did you change the fuel tank?

The wheels are original, the tires are Maxxis M6024's. I changed the tank because I removed the plastic fairings and the original tank looked hideous without the plastic covering it.

scoot newb
03-10-2019, 11:46 PM
Do you have the part numbers or a link to the swing arm and rear axle bolts? I like the knobbies.

Hellkitty
03-11-2019, 12:20 AM
Do you have the part numbers or a link to the swing arm and rear axle bolts? I like the knobbies.

The axle and the swing arm bolt are the same part.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/hon/52013231f87002346c9a2ae8/swingarm

scoot newb
03-11-2019, 12:28 AM
Cool cool. I wonder if I will be able to install them.

I noticed the Grom engine bolts are thicker than the Tao Tao ones. The Groms are 10's and the Hellcats are 8s. I hope mine come with the spares. I don't want to drill anything out. Although I could just get better quality 8's

Do you know of the torque specs for any of these bolts? Or perhaps where to find a manual? I don't want to over or under tighten anything.

Thanks again

Hellkitty
03-11-2019, 12:40 AM
Cool cool. I wonder if I will be able to install them.

I noticed the Grom engine bolts are thicker than the Tao Tao ones. The Groms are 10's and the Hellcats are 8s. I hope mine come with the spares. I don't want to drill anything out. Although I could just get better quality 8's

Do you know of the torque specs for any of these bolts? Or perhaps where to find a manual? I don't want to over or under tighten anything.

Thanks again

Here is a link to the Honda Grom service manual. You can find the torque specs in section 1-12.
https://www.slideshare.net/andonis-artist/honda-grom-msx-125-service-manual-pdf

RKG83
03-14-2019, 03:42 AM
Quick question, will pretty much any vm22 26mm carb work? I was going to order the so called “mikuni “ one but it’s not prime shipping. It probably isn’t genuine anyway but wanted to be sure another brand will work.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 06:13 AM
Any VM22 26mm knock off should work. YMMV with the quality. If it's nder $70 is probably isn't a real one.

RKG83
03-14-2019, 06:42 AM
GooDeal Lawn mower Carburetor with Air Fuel Filter (for 110cc 125cc 140cc Pit Dirt... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FS6M3W8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_G.IICbMM9XY1R

I’m gonna order this one. Seen someone on this forum go with it, plus it got pretty good reviews. Should fit a 2018 Boom.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 06:45 AM
GooDeal Lawn mower Carburetor with Air Fuel Filter (for 110cc 125cc 140cc Pit Dirt... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FS6M3W8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_G.IICbMM9XY1R

I’m gonna order this one. Seen someone on this forum go with it, plus it got pretty good reviews. Should fit a 2018 Boom.

Yeah in fact there is a review from someone with a Boom who said it's working great.

RKG83
03-14-2019, 06:49 AM
Yeah in fact there is a review from someone with a Boom who said it's working great.

Only thing that worries me is not seeing anything in regards to a vm22 26mm on the description so I can order the jets with it.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 06:55 AM
I have been reading around a lot. Some Amazon reviews on certain VM22 clones say real mikuni jets don't fit.

The link you posted, it does say Mikuni on the carb in the photo and it is definitely a VM series. Since there are tons of reviews from Grom clone owners its a safe bet it is the VM22.

RKG83
03-14-2019, 07:01 AM
I have been reading around a lot. Some Amazon reviews on certain VM22 clones say real mikuni jets don't fit.

The link you posted, it does say Mikuni on the carb in the photo and it is definitely a VM series. Since there are tons of reviews from Grom clone owners its a safe bet it is the VM22.

Thanks for the advice, I’m new to all this so just wanna make sure I have the right parts before I dive into things.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the advice, I’m new to all this so just wanna make sure I have the right parts before I dive into things.

I am new to the Grom clones too. Mine just came and I haven't even started it yet. You know about tightening and inspecting all the bolts and applying loc-tite to certain ones? Also, the engine bolts, don't over tighten those.

RKG83
03-14-2019, 07:14 AM
I am new to the Grom clones too. Mine just came and I haven't even started it yet. You know about tightening and inspecting all the bolts and applying loc-tite to certain ones? Also, the engine bolts, don't over tighten those.

Yeah besides a front sprocket and an oil change that was one of the first things I did was making sure everything was locked down and secured.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 07:17 AM
Oh cool you got the 17t front sprocket? Mine is still in the package. Did you order a 428 or 420?

RKG83
03-14-2019, 07:25 AM
It’s the same one you ordered. Cheap but great upgrade.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 07:27 AM
Can it cruise at 45 no problem with the stock front sprocket? How fast does it go with the 17?

RKG83
03-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Before the sprocket I was having to shift out of 1st almost instantly. It definitely helps with getting more speed out of each lower gears. I can now hit 40 in 3rd and cruise comfortably 45 in 4th.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 07:41 AM
Before the sprocket I was having to shift out of 1st almost instantly. It definitely helps with getting more speed out of each lower gears. I can now hit 40 in 3rd and cruise comfortably 45 in 4th.

Yikes. I will install it then before I even ride it.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 04:30 PM

I just ordered this too. The carb that came on the Hellcat was jacked. I put in gas and it just poured out the over-flow.

RKG83
03-14-2019, 06:25 PM
I just ordered this too. The carb that came on the Hellcat was jacked. I put in gas and it just poured out the over-flow.

Seems like a legit good carb from the reviews, I’m excited for it.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I also got a main jet kit. I wonder which pilot jet kit to get. One review said the Mikuni pilots jets are incompatible.

When is yours coming? Mine should be here Saturday.

RKG83
03-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Mine will be here Saturday as well. I went with the same jets you listed..

scoot newb
03-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Yay! it starts no problem with that carb, manifold and 110 main.

The stock manifold has a smaller diameter. The hole in the head where the manifold connects - It is like they want you to put on a real 26mm manifold.

The stock manifold has a beefy riser part at the bottom where it connects to the head. The new manifold doesn't have that beef so shorter bolts or spacers are needed.

The stock carb has rectangular nuts that are pressed into it. I pried the nuts off and used them to attach the new carb to the manifold. Getting some longer bolts and locking nuts may be a good idea. (see photo)

Whoever did quality control on this must have been high or just didn't care. The coil wire was routed in a way where it pressed against the intake tube on the airbox. It was almost pinched completely off. If this bike didn't come with a defective carb and was able to start, it would have run like crap.

https://imgur.com/X7Mfy2U

I went really slow. I still need to get to all the bolts (lock-tite etc etc), replace the chain tensioner and put on the 17t front sprocket.

With the new carb there is some play in the throttle that can't be taken up. Using the cap from the original carb makes it so the throttle is open. Like the needle is too high no matter what.

I should be riding it by tomorrow. It has been windy and cold so I am done with it for today.

Note to self: stop being poor and buy a house with a garage and lifts.

RKG83
03-21-2019, 01:04 AM
Are you able to get to the choke with the new carb on, I don’t wanna lose having that option.

scoot newb
03-21-2019, 01:12 AM
EDIT:

I just re-read your comment. Yes, you can easily reach down and flip the choke lever.

RKG83
03-21-2019, 04:34 AM
Did you get yours on, notice a difference in power if so?

scoot newb
03-21-2019, 04:36 AM
Did you get yours on, notice a difference in power if so?

I can't tell if you're trolling or not.:)

Yes. I installed it then posted photos and install notes in this thread. I don't know what it ran like with the stock carb and manifold because mine arrived with a damaged carb. It had to be replaced.

RKG83
03-21-2019, 05:24 AM
I wasn’t trolling, just hadn’t been keeping up with the thread been super busy.