PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hellcat front wheel assembly.

scoot newb
03-13-2019, 06:52 PM
I am not sure which side the spacer goes on. Also the brakes seem to be 'on' so I can't get the disk in the caliper. Please help

RedCrowRides
03-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Get on YouTube and search for Venom Motorsports channel , they have a front wheel assembly video that shows you exactly how to do it and where all the parts go . Also, look inside your brake pads where they go onto the caliper, mine had a plastic wedge in there they used to keep the pads apart during shipping ,it wont go onto the rotor with that wedge in between the pads .,you need to pull it out .

Keep us posted if you need any more help, but Venoms YouTube channel videos will likely have any answers you need, the HellCat and the Vader are identical as far as assembly.

scoot newb
03-13-2019, 07:52 PM
Thanks. I got it on using this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UKdKsTnfVU

Unlike the bike in the video the Tao Tao did not have a spacer between the brake pads

I just have to adjust the front brake cable and put on the front fender. Then bolt inspection and oil change. I should be riding tomorrow.

I suck at this kind of thing so it took much longer than expected.

RedCrowRides
03-13-2019, 11:16 PM
Gettin that front wheel on by yourself is a real pain , i can definitely relate to that. glad you got the front end put together .I know you want to ride it but take your time and make sure you get everything , you are almost there !

Try to post us up a pic when you can!

Whisky
03-14-2019, 01:44 AM
Don't just inspect the bolts. Blue loctite the non critical ones and red loctite the critical ones, bolts that you don't need to take off for maintenance reasons. If u don't stuff will come loose. Check all the wiring as well, some of the connections could be not pressed together all the way. Don't want to get stranded somewhere. Been there done that

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 08:55 AM
Yes, definitely going to do locktight. I am not sure which bolts get the blue. I know the engine bolts should get the red. The Grom swing-arm bolt and axles should be here soon so I don't want to make it so the originals are impossible to get off.

There is a strange issue with the right rear chain tensioner. It seems the hole on the flat rectangular piece is not in the right place. So when it is on the bolt it does not sit flush with the rear of the swing arm.

https://imgur.com/W2LQ7GQ.jpg

I'm expecting some Grom chain tensioner parts so hopefully that will take care of that.

https://imgur.com/SYII3er.jpg

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 12:32 PM
I found more problems after going through it. Besides the right rear chain tensioner being defective, the lock position on the ignition switch does nothing and the mirror mount on the clutch handle is mis-threaded. No way to attach that mirror. I plan on replacing those soon but it is kind of disappointing.

Of course, the all around cosmetic damage caused by the metal wires that held it to the crate.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Wow. So this thing is not right.

I changed out the shipping oil, put in some gas and it just pours out of the over-flow.

Whisky
03-14-2019, 05:53 PM
Did u inspect for damage when it was delivered? The stock mirrors suck anyways, bar end mirrors are the way to go there. Sounds like the float in the carb is stuck, I don't know about yours but on my bike it had a upgraded carb that was serviceable but it left me stranded so switched that out right after that.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Did u inspect for damage when it was delivered? The stock mirrors suck anyways, bar end mirrors are the way to go there. Sounds like the float in the carb is stuck, I don't know about yours but on my bike it had a upgraded carb that was serviceable but it left me stranded so switched that out right after that.

Yes. The box was in good condition. The only damage I noticed was after it was opened and removed the cage. Thick metal wire was used to keep the bike secure in the cage and it marred parts of the bike.

I tried unsticking float by tapping on it a bit but no joy.

What is the lock position on the ignition switch supposed to do? Cause it doesn't lock the bars on mine.

Ski_rush
03-14-2019, 06:18 PM
What is the lock position on the ignition switch supposed to do? Cause it doesn't lock the bars on mine.

Other, more knowledgeable, people might chime in on the lock position...but I think all it does is "lock" the key in the ignition from being pulled out.

And, I know your frustration. I'm dealing with a few gremlins of my own. My battery is junk and it would barely turn the light on, let alone start the bike. You get all excited to put it together and then you notice little things that add up and tick you off. I had some light cosmetic stuff due to the shipping crate too.

Whisky
03-14-2019, 06:43 PM
The lock position locks the handle bars when there turned all the way to the left. Yes the stock batt sucks as well. There's a reason why these bikes are cheap but with some work you can make them worth more than u paid. Just follow everyones advice and it will turn out good to go. Grom chain tensioner won't fit you will have to mill them down some and make them fit.

scoot newb
03-14-2019, 06:45 PM
The lock position locks the handle bars when there turned all the way to the left.

Damn, then that is broken too. I have no idea how to fix that.

Whisky
03-15-2019, 01:40 AM
I misspoke on the Grom adjusters, the factory ones fit but they aren't much better. Where did you buy it from? I would be calling them. Couple issues here and there not a big deal but all the issues u are having. I would be on the phone, most places will make it right. If not just fix what "needs " to be fixed and go riding. The lock is not a big deal really. If someone wants to steal it they can just pick it up, the carb issue. I would just take the bowl off and see what the issue is if can't fix it replace it. There's cheap ones out there, I have one that was only 35 bucks. Works fine. As I said before it's cheap for a reason.

scoot newb
03-15-2019, 05:26 AM
I'm cool with the Grom chain tensioners being only a little better. I don't plan on doing any hard riding or adjusting the chain more than once.

I agree there are too many small issues with this one. But what can I really do? I got it from familygokarts and I've been on the phone with them as well as submitted customer service forms through their website. There's been some really bad weather out there and they've been experiencing power outages. According to those I spoke with, the person who handles this type of thing is unavailable ATM so I'm waiting for a callback.
Their website lists the carb issue and their steps for a resolution are; tap on the bowl to try and free the stuck float, flush gas through it a couple of times, after that you're supposed to send the carb back to them so they can inspect it. SMH.

I'm hoping all these little problems aren't indicative of conditions inside the motor.
My goal has been to get working transportation ASAP and the Hellcat was the only thing besides a Chinese scooter in my budget. So ordering the VM22 kit ($36) seems like the fastest way to move forward, it should be here tomorrow.

Whisky
03-15-2019, 08:35 AM
6Sounds like you have a plan, that's good. As far as adjusting the chain only once, you will be adjusting it more than you think, the chain that came with your bike will stretch alot, you will be ok for awhile, then maybe you might think about getting something better. Don't worry it will be fine and you will have fun riding around.

P.S. nice color. I wish mine was that color

scoot newb
03-15-2019, 08:37 AM
Sounds like you have a plan, that's good. As far as adjusting the chain only once, you will be adjusting it more than you think, the chain that came with your bike will stretch alot, you will be ok for awhile, then maybe you might think about getting something better.

Oh. I will get a better one then. I guess I want a 428 one? Any suggestions?

Whisky
03-15-2019, 09:09 AM
I went #428. But u will need to change the front and back to but I wouldn't worry about it now, get the new carb on, get it running, stay close to home for awhile then slowly increase your riding distance until you are comfortable with how it's running then have fun. I did that and it ran great for 80 miles then it left me stranded. Ended up being a jet/ tuning issue. I changed the main jet size and it has been fine since.

scoot newb
03-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Okay. I already have a 428 front sprocket I haven't put on yet. I guess that won't work with the stock chain?

Whisky
03-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Okay. I already have a 428 front sprocket I haven't put on yet. I guess that won't work with the stock chain?

I'm not sure. I changed my front to a 17 tooth when I changed the chain but I still have the stock sprocket on the back so maybe it will work?

scoot newb
03-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Grom parts are here! Yay. Damn, I am not sure I have anything to properly hold the bike up to change out the rear axle and swingarm stuffs.

Hellkitty
03-16-2019, 12:28 PM
Grom parts are here! Yay. Damn, I am not sure I have anything to properly hold the bike up to change out the rear axle and swingarm stuffs.

If you have a large, sturdy A frame folding ladder and a ratchet strap you can place your bike under the ladder, securely attach the strap to the ladder and your bike and lift it. thats what i did, worked great.
Picture doesn't really show how i did it but you get the idea.