PDA

View Full Version : How do I troubleshoot Hi-Beam switch?

scoot newb
03-25-2019, 01:45 PM
I tried to get my bike inspected today and it didn't pass. There is something wrong with the hi-beam switch. Turning the hi-beam switch on does nothing. Using the 'flasher' button located right behind the hi-beam switch turns the hi-beam on and the indicator on the cluster lights up. Man, it is just one problem after another with this thing.

What do?

Pathfinders
03-25-2019, 02:49 PM
The leads for the S/W are terminated incorrectly. Switch them.

Roy

scoot newb
03-25-2019, 03:02 PM
The leads for the S/W are terminated incorrectly. Switch them.

Roy

I believe the switch worked when it arrived and it may have been working yesterday. I don't use it cause I only drive in the day. So nothing has been added or changed to the electrical system. It appears the wires for the 'flasher' are different than the ones for the switch.

Hellkitty
03-25-2019, 07:39 PM
You do know there is an on/off switch for the headlights on the right side handle bar controls right? Most motorcycles made within the last 25 yrs or so do not have a headlight on/off switch....the headlights are always on. The Hellcat does have an on/off switch for some reason. There is also a "driving" lamp in the headlight assembly that is always on, but this is not the headlight. I know two other people that had the same issue as you because they did not realize there is an on/off switch. Hope this helps.

scoot newb
03-25-2019, 07:47 PM
You do know there is an on/off switch for the headlights on the right side handle bar controls right? Most motorcycles made within the last 25 yrs or so do not have a headlight on/off switch....the headlights are always on. The Hellcat does have an on/off switch for some reason. There is also a "driving" lamp in the headlight assembly that is always on, but this is not the headlight. I know two other people that had the same issue as you because they did not realize there is an on/off switch. Hope this helps.

Are you shittin' me? It is put away in the shed for tonight but I recall the right side handlebar only having 2 buttons. One for kill switch and the other to start. Will the high beam not work if the kill switch is in the kill position? Please say that is it. I mean the dude at the inspection place didn't know if that's the case (neither did I). He was all like get this mess together then come back. He did not charge me but instead made fun of the noise coming from the speedo thing.

https://vimeo.com/326459577

scoot newb
03-25-2019, 07:55 PM
LOL> Yass! It works. So happy.

scoot newb
04-09-2019, 06:32 PM
Ugh, so it looks like the problem with the Hi-Beam switch is intermittent. I thought maybe I just forgot to turn the switch on. Back when I made the previous post it worked. I thought WOW I just forgot to hit the light switch. Today, I noticed it's no longer working but the 'Hi Beam flasher' is. So nothing has really changed since my original post.

It sucks when you buy something as new and it turns out to be a project bike.

Buccaneer
04-15-2019, 09:57 PM
It sounds to me like the switch needs to be replaced. I'm still making do with a dodgy switch on my newer Guzzi that I never got around to replacing, 20,000 miles ago. Sometimes replacement is the best diagnosis. Cheap, fast, simple. What could be better?|

Buccaneer

scoot newb
05-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Problem solved. I ordered a replacement switch on ebay. The switch was wired incorrectly. The high beam flasher button would light the front left blinker. When I connected the original switch back, I made sure the one wire not in the cluster was seated correctly. The hi-beam switch is now working properly!!!! Now I can move on to an aftermarket headlight! So happy.