PDA

View Full Version : Tips on installing a front tire at home

psychprof
03-28-2019, 11:04 PM
I need to a new tire installed on a cruiser. I called a half dozen shops by me and their fee to mount and balance a new tire on a loose wheel (I would bring them the wheel) ranged from $40-100). Yes, one shop actually wanted $100 to mount a tire. I think it was his way of flipping me off for suggesting that I was not buying the tire from him. One shop actually refused to do it and said it’s not about him making money; rather, it is because tires bought online are too often “Chinese knockoffs” that just fall apart and kill people. I assured him that I’d purchase the tire from a reputable online seller (e.g., revzilla or chaparral). I can either buy a less expensive tire ($62 Shinko) and then pay a shop to install it, or put more money into a better tire and try to install it at home.

Has anyone on here installed a front cruiser tire at home? If so, can you provide some tips on how to do it? Or, is it just not worth the hassle and I should just cough up the shop fee and have them do it?

kirbo7106
03-28-2019, 11:51 PM
What tools do you have? Did you check out YouTube? I took tires off my Hawk 250 and mounted new tires. I watched videos of people changing tires on the ground. I bought a Tusk tire stand. That made it easier, but still no walk in the park.

At the shops, the use a car tire machine with some attachments to do motorcycle tires. I think Harbor Freight has a manual tire changer, but you would have to confirm that.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

wlfpck
03-29-2019, 09:42 AM
Man... this is kind of what's wrong with motorcycles now days. There's so many people that I know that don't get a motorcycle because they say there's no one available to do maintenance or whatever. There's car shops everywhere but only a handful of motorcycle shops.

Putting a tire on is not bad. They sell tools at places like Harbor Freight and stuff. Tons of videos on youtube as well of people installing their own tires.

RedCrowRides
03-29-2019, 10:00 AM
$40 isn't bad , if it includes balancing it .Anything above that is flat out greed imo , but that's just me. A shop that has the right machine and tools ought to be able to easily take the old tire off, put the new on and balance it in well under 15 minutes, assuming you hand them the rim with the tire on it, already off the Bike. That translates at $40 to a $160 an hour shop rate ,which even the nuttiest high end Harley Shops don't charge.

I'm glad I live in FLA where we have a lot of Dealers as well as Independent Shops and I have never had any problems getting a tire swapped and it's never even been quoted at over $40 aside from one Shop whose attitude made it clear they simply didnt want to do it - they are no longer in business ,the very competitive market here

doesn't tolerate that brand of BS.

Alpha Reign
03-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Harbor freight has a manual tire changer for $40. https://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

psychprof
03-29-2019, 10:40 AM
Harbor freight has a manual tire changer for $40. https://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

I saw that, but does it also require this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/Motorcycle-Tire-Changer-Attachment-60810.html

for an additional $40, bringing the total to $80?

Alpha Reign
03-29-2019, 10:42 AM
Tire Irons could do the job. But they require some extra work.

Sport Rider
03-29-2019, 12:02 PM
I saw that, but does it also require this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/Motorcycle-Tire-Changer-Attachment-60810.html

for an additional $40, bringing the total to $80?

I bought the upper arm when I got my unit from HF. I never use it. get a 3 foot steel rod that is slightly less than the diameter of your axle opening. put it through the hub and into the tire changer, then tighten it down with the knob on the machine.

I then use the included bar to remove and install the tires. unless the new tire is cold, it's an easy process. if it's cold/stiff, it can be a bit of work to get the new tire on the rim.

I have 3 motorcycles, so collectively, the 80 bucks I spent has paid for itself many times over.

Azhule
03-29-2019, 01:01 PM
3 tire irons/spoons and a gallon bottle of "AGS/NAPA Ru-Glide"... gets your motorcycle tires done for about $20 and a little sweat

Ru-Glide can be "watered down" to help save some more money... I think I last mixed it up with a 40/60 mixture (Ru-Glide / 0ppm Distilled Water) in a spray bottle... have changed 3 motorcycle tires, 4 riding mower tires and I still have over half the quart spray bottle left... a little Ru-Glide goes a long way, even when "watered down" :hehe:

Lit Hawk
03-29-2019, 04:18 PM
I use 3 tire irons and a heat gun from harbor freight. I’ve changed my tires at least 6 times and only used a heat gun this last time and it really helped out. I’ve also read somewhere you can stick tire in the oven for a bit.

kirbo7106
03-29-2019, 06:47 PM
Check out this video on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/dAKIuSjPXxA

I know, he makes it look easy!

pete
03-29-2019, 07:37 PM
a bottle of dish wash liquid and two 8" tire levers is all yer need..

the trick is to keep the tire bead on the opposite side of the
tyre to your are working down in the rim well …

lots of dish wash and small bites with the levers...

If you need levers bigger than 8" / 200mm you are doing something wrong..

do it on the lawn.. it doesn't damage the rim or hub..

psychprof
03-30-2019, 10:01 AM
Yup, that’s the video I saw. He makes it look really easy. I tried this on a MX tire once and it didn’t go well. I think I was more worried about damaging the rim and I don’t recall warming up the tire in the sun.. I couldn’t get it and had to bring it to a shop.

Anyway...I’m confused by one thing about the HF tire changer. It says it’s good for all different size tires, so why is the motorcycle attachment needed? What function does the motorcycle attachment serve that the device will not work on it’s own? Or, am I fine just getting the “base” and using that.

I didn’t quite understand the explanation about using a steel rod instead of the motorcycle attachment.

Thanks

kirbo7106
03-30-2019, 11:09 AM
I was changing tires on my Hawk and the Tusk stand makes it “easier”. Yeah, I joined the “Over 50” club and I need all the assistance I can get. No more “muscling” through it for this old boy!

I bought the manual tire changer from HF years ago, but never used it. When I get a chance I will pick up the motorcycle attachment and try it. I might even get the wheel balancer like they showed in the video.

Enjoy the Ride!