PDA

View Full Version : SSR XF250 GS "Snake Eyes" Rear Shock

pureflo1
04-17-2019, 04:37 PM
Amongst the slew of other OEM parts I've had to trash, my rear shock was the most recent piece to need replacing.

I first attempted to source some aftermarket alternatives, both of which were the same spring rate and length.. However, the eyelet spacing and attachment bolt diameter were completely off. Shims and spacers still never completely allowed for a fitment I felt safe riding.

I finally caved and ordered an OEM replacement from a local SSR dealer, however the part is on back-order for at least 9 weeks.

Do any of you know a proven viable alternative for the rear shock apart from the OEM? A little additional ride height is not a concern, nor is a stiffer spring rate (I am a big guy on a little bike).

Any help would be appreciated.

2LZ
04-17-2019, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the forum!
No help on the shock other than keep hunting for the right measurements.

You have a snake eyes? What else has needed replacing? This is our first one here, I believe and there's been a lot of interest. Very cool looking bike.
Usually the SSR stuff it top quality...

pureflo1
04-17-2019, 06:24 PM
I purchased the bike a few months back, a 2016 with less than 100 miles. Whether the majority of the issues were dealership grown, or manufacturer based, I am unsure.

Immediately upon receiving the bike I stripped it down to a pure barebones cafe racer appearance. My maiden ride I noticed an extreme air/fuel issue. What it came down to were 2-5 different areas of the outer motor casing with microfractures causing air intake. I still haven't found an effective way to seal these cracks.

What I ended up doing was overhauling the carb system, stripped the emission canister, transitioned from the double air filter setup, to a single boot larger diameter intake. With that came toying with jetting from the stock 115, up to 195, and finally settling at 147.5. Even now there is stutter issues at certain RPM ranges, but finally a bearable ride.

The electronics system was very poorly assembled, I have had almost every coupling within the CDI and "electronics" box either burn up, or cause connectivity issues enough that I have had to solder inline fuses and erase connector couplings with direct connections.

I swapped the stock chain/gearing to a 420 conversion to save weight, and produce some more lower end power. Every single nut from the front sprocket, to the back tire was less than hand tight, stripped, or otherwise flawed. I have spent ample amounts of time sourcing out replacements for every single fastening point.

The entire dash gauge setup was worthless, the rpm, speed, and fuel gauges all bounced back and forth during ride time. I inevitably stripped everything, and just use a phone-based app for speedometer readings. I attempted to install a Trailtek Vapor, but with lack of any sort of electrical diagram it was nearly impossible.

Lastly, the stock shock just completely blew out, with less than 200 total miles on the chassis.

In the end I have sourced a Suzuki TU250X service manual for the engine, but other than that there is nothing available. The "owner's manual" is completely worthless. It seems the bike is a frankenstein of numerous brands and equivalent knockoffs.

I am working towards just swapping the engine out, for an air cooled twin cylinder. My research has yielded only a couple viable models, the most viable being a late 90's/early 2000's Suzuki GS500.

The bike aesthetically is amazing, but beyond that it has been a real pile of shit. I kick myself for not just buying a razkul or something of the like when I went into this small displacement market.

pureflo1
04-17-2019, 06:27 PM
I may add, apart from this, I have ridden a ton of SSR dirt bikes and have never been disappointed.

I think they tried to appease a market that wasn't really geared towards their abilities with this bike. I'll throw up some pictures of my current setup when I get a chance.