PDA

View Full Version : Hellcat is falling apart. SMH. Need some help.

scoot newb
04-18-2019, 02:36 PM
My word. It just keeps getting worse. How is this happening? I weight under 220lbs, I DONT:
Drive off road, do wheelies or burnouts. It has less than 500km on it. I drive to and from work (5 miles), to the grocery store (6 miles) and sometimes take a 80km ride on the weekends.

Unless I am missing something, the bracket that holds on that electronic gadget has snapped off the frame.

https://imgur.com/hlTx0gL.jpg

Any ideas on a safe way to re-attach?

I'm thinking of zip ties to get it away from the shock until I can find a more permanent solution. :-(

Ironically the engine mount bolts and exhaust bolts have been fine.

UPDATE

Well, it's zip-tied away from the shock. Perhaps I will use GROM bolts and drill out the monts a bit to try and stop the vibration.

RedCrowRides
04-18-2019, 06:29 PM
There is nothing there on my Vader ,there "used to be " some brackets there but i Dremel'd them off, what is that anyways? It looks like maybe your CDI box but it's hard to tell ,anyways if you feel like vibration caused it to come off, as long as they are good , strong zip ties you might want to just stay with those, they aren't subject to vibration issues ,if you put bolts back in it, grab a couple rubber washers from the parts house and that should take care of it, i put rubber washers on every single one of my plastics / fairings screws to keep the plastics from stress fracturing from the vibrations, so far havent cracked any plastics. Well, not from vibration anyways lol.

Whisky
04-18-2019, 08:21 PM
It's the rectifier it is bolted on the frame under the gas tank. Mine is zip tied to, I had to move it due to the bigger gas tank. Not a huuge deal. I wouldn't worry about it but make sure you loctite anything you don't want coming off.

scoot newb
04-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Well, the bolts stayed in. The bracket that was welded onto the frame broke off. I guess it's not a big deal but if the mount snapped off the frame from vibration or whatever, who knows what else will snap off.

kirbo7106
04-19-2019, 09:38 AM
That’s not good! I was really hoping the Hellcat was a quality bike.

Mind you, this comes from a guy who’s Hellcat didn’t survive delivery! :doh:

The Lifan KP Mini is looking better and better!

scoot newb
04-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Yeah or the Pitster Pro 190.

Whisky
04-19-2019, 04:10 PM
Unfortunately with these bikes the Chinese think 1 or 2 tiny spot welds are sufficient, I would kinda look around at other welds on the bike. No one likes surprises of this type.

scoot newb
04-19-2019, 04:15 PM
Fam, I am just going to get an older 2 stroke MX-er. Throw on some mirrors, lights, indicators, the plate from the Hellcat and ride it. Even if someone notices, who is going to catch you on a... say RM or CR 250?

Braaap off the side of the road over the medium strip and down a trail. Bye Felicia.

scoot newb
04-22-2019, 12:38 AM
Well, okay back to reality. The 2 stroke MX-er idea sounded good after a couple drinks but I think what is going to happen is... Buy the 190 clone from Pitster Pro, pay the extra $300 to have it delivered assembled. That should make it easy to check for any damage right away. Change the oil, connect the battery and brap. If that one turns out to be garbage I think I'll give up on these type of bikes and go with something from the big 4.

kirbo7106
04-22-2019, 07:47 AM
I hear what you are saying! When I got my Hawk 250, it was the same thing. I kept running into problems. At 31 miles, the rear hub assembly came apart. I was in a turn at the time. Even though it was under warranty, txpowersports did nothing to help me!

After that, I had an inner tube blowout! So I changed the tires and tubes. Now my Hawk is pretty solid. I still have some mods I want to do. Once I get my money back from my Hellcat, I will get back to modding my Hawk.

Once I finish my Hawk, I might revisit getting a Grom Like Vehicle!

Good luck and keep us posted!

benhonda
07-01-2019, 09:27 PM
i just got a used hellcat with almost 800 miles on the clock, and the same thing (rectifier) mounting tab broke loose letting the rectifier dangle by the wire. Since mine didn't have the front body panels, there was a mounting hole nearby that I could put a bolt through...though the rectifier now blocks the oil dipstick from coming all the way out now.

scoot newb
07-01-2019, 09:29 PM
I am about to move mine to the side by the seat. I now have a low exhaust and no need to those top mounts.