PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Illinois

Scottish
06-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Hi all,
I have been lurking on here for a few weeks. I have been kicking around getting a Hawk or Taotao dual sport bike and found this site after watching a few videos from motocheese. I have been riding dirt bikes for about 40 years and have been racing and wrenching on vintage bike for 20 years.
I have been looking at getting one of these so I could do some dual sport rides here and in Wisconsin which are mainly off road. I realize the limitations of these bikes but I don,t plan on riding it in race mode and I,m a cheap son of gun so I don,t want to spend the big money on a ktm or even a bit less for a DRZ just to ride it a few times a year. The TT and DR200 are at least 1500-2000 more and about impossible to find around here. I will be asking a few questions on the main board before I decide what I want to do. :thanks:

herbie
06-08-2019, 02:20 PM
Hello Scottish and welcome, I am from lower Illinois and probably pretty close to the same age. I think most if us are cheap uh I mean frugal that’s why I bought one of these Chinese machines. They seem to be better quality than what I thought but I don’t have my bike yet. Should be in my hands on Monday. Good luck with your search!

dpl096
06-08-2019, 09:00 PM
Hello from East Central Hellinois Scottish and welcome aboard. Ask all the questions you want and enjoy the company.

GronkFries
06-09-2019, 08:15 AM
Welcome from Maine - I lurked and putzed around before I bought my bike as well. Alcohol and Motocheez assisted my decision lol. Ended up with a TBR7, which so far I'm happy with but not enough miles to tell for sure. I never offroaded on two wheels before, just getting used to it.

And "cheap" is not the proper definition for us IMHO - It's "tightwad". So if you're handy with a wrench either either a Hawk or Tao Tao will be enough of a bike for you to make up the difference for a brand name comparison.

Scottish
06-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Herbie let us know what you think once you have your bike. Also to dpl096,did you have any trouble getting your bike plated ?

wedooit
06-09-2019, 01:55 PM
WELCOME!!!! check out my bms250 post if you are interested in that bike. My wife and I are shorter in height, but we looked at the orion quite seriously, if you are taller.
There is a ton of info here and kind people that will answer prob any and all questions. Post some pix when you get delivery! Thanks and welcome again!!!

dpl096
06-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Welcome from Maine - I lurked and putzed around before I bought my bike as well. Alcohol and Motocheez assisted my decision lol.

..SURGEON GENERAL WARNING.... mixing alcohol and Motocheez is hazardous to your mental health....universal sign :crazy: :lmao:

GronkFries
06-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Luckily the end result was good though!

cheesy
06-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Hiya from NE Illannoy.

wedooit
06-12-2019, 11:03 AM
welcome!!!
I think it was megadans and jerryhawks videos, and darn....the fellow from texas that also does knife videos, cant think of his name,...and 2lz....and maybe and some Canadian brew....or maybe lots of Canadian brew...eh? Motocheese and his miniature vehicle....??? eh....

dpl096
06-12-2019, 10:27 PM
welcome!!!
I think it was megadans and jerryhawks videos, and darn....the fellow from texas that also does knife videos, cant think of his name,...and 2lz....and maybe and some Canadian brew....or maybe lots of Canadian brew...eh? Motocheese and his miniature vehicle....??? eh....

Your comment on Canadian beer made me think of BullshitKorner on YouTube.