PDA

View Full Version : Custom utility trike build (maybe?)

CrankshaftKaleb
06-19-2019, 06:13 AM
I do some volunteer work performing maintenance at a heritage railway one day a week, and one of the most common jobs that I have to do there is checking brake blocks on the train carriages and replacing any that are worn out. This means we have to carry these blocks (which are rather heavy hunks of cast iron), and a bunch of tools up and down the rail yard, which covers an area of around 6 1/2 acres in total.

This has made me think on numerous occasions that some sort of vehicle for carrying stuff around the yard would be a very handy thing to have. The problem is that money is tight, and most of what does come in is spent keeping the trains running, so we really can't afford something like a UTV. I've also suggested using a golf cart, but the workshop supervisor was of the opinion that one of those wouldn't hold up too well in this application. We do have an old Landcruiser 4x4, but it is often tied up with other jobs, particularly in the summer when we have to do fire patrols.

A few days ago I was re-organising some stuff to make room in my shed, including some parts from an old 110cc Chinese ATV when I remembered seeing photos of a trike that looked kind of like a cross between a motorbike and a ute (pickup truck for all you Americans out there). That's when it hit me; why not build a contraption like that to use at the railway?

Here's just such a jalopy. There are several variants of these being made, with different bodies on the back, some with enclosed cabs, as well as electric versions.

What do you think of this idea? Do you think such a vehicle would be up to the job?

Weldangrind
06-19-2019, 11:41 AM
I got the dreaded little X, Kaleb. If you post the pic directly to the forum, we'll be able to see it. Here's how: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14422
I'm very interested in following your project.

CrankshaftKaleb
06-20-2019, 02:09 AM
I got the dreaded little X, Kaleb. If you post the pic directly to the forum, we'll be able to see it. Here's how: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14422
I'm very interested in following your project.

Just fixed it.

cheesy
06-20-2019, 05:50 AM
Go for it.

I spend some time at a large railroad museum on this side of world and old golf carts are utilized for just about everything except hauling rail.

JerryHawk250
06-20-2019, 07:36 AM
I like that. :tup:

Weldangrind
06-20-2019, 11:48 AM
The trike in your picture has a device that simply bolts onto the CG engine. It replaces the countershaft sprocket and provides a driveshaft output, along with a reverse gear. It's available on Taobao.