PDA

View Full Version : ? about tires

brianjmt
06-25-2019, 03:28 PM
I am thinking of purchasing the Brozz blue eagle well I was like 99% that way. There is one draw back/ deal breaker as I can see and that is tires. The tires listed for the brozz blue eagle are front 90/90/19 and rear 110/90/17. Tires will be the first ting to go. In fact I intended on changing them out as I assembled the bike.

Here is the issue and glad I did some research all i can find is shinko 244's in these sizes or closest size that I can. Am I missing something here with these tire sizes are they just not any "brand name tires" in these sizes? I dont want to buy a motorcycle and have to run the same tires all the time and the china factory ones is a no go for me period. Tire options/ sizes that will work?

Thanks for any help.

Sport Rider
06-25-2019, 03:41 PM
I ran kenda's on my hawk. I never worry about higher end brand names when it comes to tires like this. I have run shinkos on several street bikes including some low end track days on a sport bike. I trust them pretty well.

personal choice though.

JerryHawk250
06-25-2019, 03:43 PM
What type of tire you looking for? Street? Off Road? Dual Sport?

Wild Dog
06-25-2019, 03:59 PM
The 19/17 combo is mostly for an adventure or dual purpose motorcycle. So you are not going to find as many type of knoobies that you would find on a 21/18 combo.

I also have 19/17 and this is what i run. Plus i agree with what the guy says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Ep5EHhm8U

They are 60 on road 40 off road.

If you are going to use the bike 80% of the time off road, then look for a china bike with 21/18

2LZ
06-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Shinko, Kenda, etc...are all good quality tires. I've had no issues with them and they're affordable. I'm currently running the Shinko 700's and love them.

brianjmt
06-25-2019, 05:28 PM
What type of tire you looking for? Street? Off Road? Dual Sport?
Looking for something about 60/40 road/off road use. Off road will be gravel and dirt roads. Nothing that would require a dirt bike tire. I dont like kenda's at all. Shinko are ok but I just dont want to be stuck with one brand and tire style. the back does seem to be that difficult size but the front is where the problem is. Plus I guess I need to find out the rim size see if a 100 would work instead of a 90. I doubt it though. I just dont know why they want to but these odd ball tire sizes on these bikes. He got the bike features right except the damn tire size.

Wild Dog
06-25-2019, 06:02 PM
Looking for something about 60/40 road/off road use. Off road will be gravel and dirt roads. Nothing that would require a dirt bike tire. I dont like kenda's at all. Shinko are ok but I just dont want to be stuck with one brand and tire style. the back does seem to be that difficult size but the front is where the problem is. Plus I guess I need to find out the rim size see if a 100 would work instead of a 90. I doubt it though. I just dont know why they want to but these odd ball tire sizes on these bikes. He got the bike features right except the damn tire size.

They are not oddball, it is the size that a lot of adventure motorcycle and dual motorcycle use, BWM, KTM and Ducatti are some of the Mfg that use 19/17 on some of their models.
In fact for the type of riding you want to do, that rim combo will suit you better than 21/18. Gravel and dirt is an easy task for them, even when using dual sport tires.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/data/tirecalc/imagestats/90x90xR19-100x90xR19.png (https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=90-90r19-100-90r19)

kingofqueenz
06-25-2019, 06:33 PM
Do you change the tires yourself or take them to a local shop?

GronkFries
06-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Do you change the tires yourself or take them to a local shop?

Always change your own tires. Just make sure you spray the soapy water and push the bottom of the tire into the rim with your knees so it goes on easier. That, a set of $20 tire irons, $15 nylon hammer style bead breaker, rim protectors, valve tool and a few tire changing vids on youtube and you're in business.

roundhouse
06-25-2019, 08:06 PM
I have about 1500 miles on shinkos 705s i am really impressed with their grip. They do pretty good on hard packed gravel but i would get maybe the 700 for looser stuff.

Megadan
06-25-2019, 08:37 PM
I have about 1500 miles on shinkos 705s i am really impressed with their grip. They do pretty good on hard packed gravel but i would get maybe the 700 for looser stuff.

Having had both on a Hawk, I would go for the 700 every time. The 705 is great on road, but the 700 is 90 percent as good on road, and much much better off road.

brianjmt
06-25-2019, 10:42 PM
Yes I can change my own it is a bitch some times but I can do it. Actually after I thought about it some today. I would probably say that I would do 80/20 on/off road not really into the whole mud thing like I once was either.

I may go down later this week time permitting and take a look at the blue eagle. See what rims come on it and how much room I will have to play with. Looks like I will be very limited in brand and style as of now. I have only found the shinko 244 that will work. If this is the case then the bike will be a no go. Glad I held off on ordering some of my mods in. Thanks for all the help guys. I let you know how it goes.

kingofqueenz
06-25-2019, 11:23 PM
Thanks Gronk.

Any nay sayers around using a C-clamp to break the bead ?

Youtube can take you down the wormhole in terms of ideas on how to break the bead... I;ve seen crazy McGuyver approaches to the simple approach of beatin it with a hammer.

Thanks

pete
06-26-2019, 02:08 AM
They are not oddball, it is the size that a lot of adventure motorcycle and dual motorcycle use, BWM, KTM and Ducatti are some of the Mfg that use 19/17 on some of their models.
In fact for the type of riding you want to do, that rim combo will suit you better than 21/18. Gravel and dirt is an easy task for them, even when using dual sport tires.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/data/tirecalc/imagestats/90x90xR19-100x90xR19.png (https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=90-90r19-100-90r19)

There are a few bikes that run the 19/17 combo..
but 21/17 or 21/18 are the norm for ADV and Duel sport bikes..

80/20 tyres...
I know they are not cheap but they are out there...
Avon Distanzia.. 19 & 17..
Continental TKC70...19 & 17..
Full Bore "USA" … 19 & 17...Shinko 705 copy... <<=====================
Metzeler Tourance… 19 & 17..
Metzeler Tourance next... 19 & 17..
Metzeler Karoo 3..19 & 17..
Michelin Anakee 3...19 & 17..
Michelin Anakee Adventure... 19 & 17..
Pirelli Scorpion STR trail.... 19 & 17..

And there is lots more... but the 19 front dose tend to be for the bigger bikes...
not meany smaller than 110

brianjmt
06-26-2019, 04:02 AM
I did some research on here read all the tire threads took awhile. SO my rim sizes are

front rim 1.85 OEM tire size 90/90/19

rear rim 2.50 OEM tire size 110/90/17

From what I can take from the posts.
Tire size 100/90/19 will fit on the front. Several people sorta wasnt comfortable with this.

The rear 120/90/17 will work just fine.

Ill give a few bike shops a call tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Megadan
06-26-2019, 06:11 AM
Thanks Gronk.

Youtube can take you down the wormhole in terms of ideas on how to break the bead... I;ve seen crazy McGuyver approaches to the simple approach of beatin it with a hammer.

Thanks

I have never had to use anything more than my own body weight to break a bead, unless the tire is so ancient that it went out of date code in the previous decade and has hardened to a point it resembles plastic more than rubber.

2LZ
06-26-2019, 09:47 AM
I have never had to use anything more than my own body weight to break a bead, .

Yah! but you're Megadan!....well, I haven't either but I'm fairly mega myself. ;-)

JerryHawk250
06-26-2019, 10:34 AM
I have never had to use anything more than my own body weight to break a bead.
Same here and i'm no were near Megadan size.

brianjmt
06-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Umm ok guys. What gives with local shops refusal to work on Chinese bikes? Called 4 separate shops on this tire issue and as soon as I mention the bike they wouldnt help at all. One shop just hung up! SO I take it if I buy one of these bikes its mine along with any repairs. I am good for the most part with usual maintenance/repairs, tire changes etc.. but if something major happens to the engine then I am screwed.

lost californian
06-26-2019, 03:34 PM
Umm ok guys. What gives with local shops refusal to work on Chinese bikes? Called 4 separate shops on this tire issue and as soon as I mention the bike they wouldnt help at all. One shop just hung up! SO I take it if I buy one of these bikes its mine along with any repairs. I am good for the most part with usual maintenance/repairs, tire changes etc.. but if something major happens to the engine then I am screwed.

I don't tell the local shop what bike the wheels came from, I just take them in and have them mount the tires for me. Doesn't hurt that I have bought several motorcycles and a couple 4 wheelers from them, either, so they know me. I also bought the Shinko 705s from them.

Megadan
06-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Just tell them the wheels came off an old Honda SL or XR.

GronkFries
06-26-2019, 05:27 PM
Thanks Gronk.

Thanks

I have never had to use anything more than my own body weight to break a bead, unless the tire is so ancient that it went out of date code in the previous decade and has hardened to a point it resembles plastic more than rubber.

Bikes that have been under my care generally just take a knee or hard pressure to break the bead. Not saying that I'm an awesome maintenance guy but like Dan said a fresher tire should go easy and old stuff is tougher. I have been to the point of exhaustion breaking down an old 16" Comstar rim before. So these types of bikes should be a piece of cake.

Sport Rider
06-26-2019, 09:02 PM

generally speaking, yes. welcome to china bikes. if you're not prepared to do most of the tinkering/repairs yourself, a CB might not be for you. they are cheap to buy, but there's a reason. not chastizing. just a basic fact we all accept when we go into the purchase.

brianjmt
06-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Ok well I did find a place a local hole in the wall, a mom and pop type shop there main business is working on motorcycles they dont discriminate on brands. I knew they were there but never stopped in and should have. They do good work apparently from the reviews online and have fair prices. To make things even better they actually sale Chinese atv's, gokarts, scooters and bikes on the side. That surprised me because they never have any setting outside or signs. They just sold the last Hawk last week so I will have to wait until after the 4th to see one in person.

SO I am set if something comes up I cant handle. I am pretty good but no where as good as some of you guys. No way I could port a engine or do any tearing into a engine. Also electrical gives me a fit especially trying to find a short.

I will make some calls tomorrow to some different bike shops and use a different bike see if I cant get this tire size thing answered for good.

If I cant break the bead I use our small tractor and just ease the front wheel up on it. Works every-time. Works on atv tires too.

Wild Dog
06-26-2019, 11:38 PM
Why not a hawk 250? They are pretty much the same thing and the hawk comes with a rim combo that will allow you to find more type of tire for off road.

brianjmt
06-27-2019, 12:37 AM
Why not a hawk 250? They are pretty much the same thing and the hawk comes with a rim combo that will allow you to find more type of tire for off road.

I like the brozz better. It has a half ass digital dash the hawk doesnt.Swing arms are different. Looks/ colors /graphics better. counter balance engine. quit a few differences. I really wish the brozz had 17in front and rear tires be a cool super moto look. But if i am stuck only with just shinko 244 tires well it is over before it even starts. Tires make the bike for as I am concerned.

You would think they would upgrade these damn bikes instead of just ordering the same old models every yr. I think most of this is just laziness on the us distributors. How long has it been since anything changed on the hawk? Digital dashes have been out how long? I know there is a new hawk coming out but I dont want to be the first beta tester on that.

JerryHawk250
06-27-2019, 08:07 AM
I got an email from Don with shopapmc.com yesterday. The Lifan X-Pect's will arrive next week. The X-Pect is $1669.00 (Colors: Orange, Green & Red) + Shipping Cost and is arriving on Wednesday July 3rd.

It has the 19/17 wheel combo. Fuel injected 200cc. Might be something to look at.

dpl096
06-27-2019, 08:05 PM
I got an email from Don with shopapmc.com yesterday. The Lifan X-Pect's will arrive next week. The X-Pect is $1669.00 (Colors: Orange, Green & Red) + Shipping Cost and is arriving on Wednesday July 3rd.

It has the 21/18 wheel combo. Fuel injected 200cc. Might be something to look at.

I believe it's going to attract a lot of attention!

brianjmt
06-27-2019, 10:51 PM

It has the 21/18 wheel combo. Fuel injected 200cc. Might be something to look at.

You sure on the wheel combo's? On Lifan website they have it at the 19/17 combo. But either way not sure i want to risk $$$ with this new efi. On top of that just 200(196) cc not big enough. Another genius idea from the good idea fairies. I wonder who actually makes these decisions the Chinese or some dump ass redneck American with no business experience.

brianjmt
06-27-2019, 11:00 PM
I did get the tire stuff sorta today and in process of making out a post with all the tire brands/models in the sizes that will work on the 19/17 combo's. I used the xs650 and the cr125 motorcycles as both use the 1.85x19. I didnt get one hang up or snobby reply from any of the shops I called. Nothing but help, Amazing!

JerryHawk250
06-28-2019, 07:49 AM
You sure on the wheel combo's? On Lifan website they have it at the 19/17 combo. But either way not sure i want to risk $$$ with this new efi. On top of that just 200(196) cc not big enough. Another genius idea from the good idea fairies. I wonder who actually makes these decisions the Chinese or some dump ass redneck American with no business experience.

You are correct on the 19/17 combo. I read the 21/18 combo off another online dealers website. I should of known the specs on some of these dealers sight are mostly incorrect. lol Don't be fooled by the 200cc engine. These engine perform as well as the 229cc engine and seen some that perform better. Ask Azule about his 80+mph 200cc. ;)

JerryHawk250
06-28-2019, 07:55 AM
I did get the tire stuff sorta today and in process of making out a post with all the tire brands/models in the sizes that will work on the 19/17 combo's. I used the xs650 and the cr125 motorcycles as both use the 1.85x19. I didnt get one hang up or snobby reply from any of the shops I called. Nothing but help, Amazing!

Good deal! :tup: It's a mind set that most people have that think it's all china junk.

pete
06-28-2019, 09:29 AM
https://youtu.be/N_2y9LSxbvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ebaHJ5jPs4

brianjmt
06-28-2019, 10:10 PM
Thanks pete. I like fortnine been watching his videos for a yr or so. he does some great videos.

brianjmt
06-29-2019, 02:31 AM
After doing research on the Brozz tire sizes 17/19 here is what I found. This is after researching this site, multi other forums, net, and talking with 3 major brand bike shops. Here is list of what tires are available for the china bikes with the:

OEM front rim size 1.85x19, tire size 90/90/19
OEM rear rim size 2.5x17, tire size 110/90/17

Replacement Tire size:
Front 100/90/19 will work on the 1.85 rim for the front.
Rear 120/90/17 will work on the rear 2.5 rim.

I did a search of tire manufacturer sites and here is the model of tires they make in these sizes. I did only matching pairs since I do not run mix match tires. SO if you do there are a few more options that you could mix and match.

I did find one perfect match for the OEM tire size. But couldnt fine any state side but they were listed on Michelin USA site so you may be able to order them.
Michelin Sirac 110/90/17 and 90/90/19

Second best match and china rider favorite is
Shinko 244 2.75x19 front and 4.6x17 rear

The follow are tire brands that make the 100/90/19 front and 120/90/17 Rear.

AVON - Trail Rider
Mitas- Terra force, E07, E08, MC-24, E09 (Terra Force is new and caught my attetntion I will be looking for a review on these)
Metezeler- Tourance
Dunlop- Trail Smart
Continental- Trail attack 3, Trail attack 2, TKC 70, TKC 80, Escape
Perelli- MT60
Kenda- K761, K760

Now money wise and performance wise Shinko 244 is Top dog, and under a $100 a set. The others will be much heavier especially the AVONS they are like lead. They will also set you back most likely over $200+ a set.
Hope, this helps those looking for replacement tires.

Also here are couple links I found worth a read.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/Dualsport-Tire-Info.pdf
https://dropbears.com/motorcycles/utilities/tyrerim.htm

ChipToothy
07-18-2019, 07:54 AM
I went 100/100/19 and 120/100/17 on my Bashan. TKC 80’s are terrible, they skip around on the pave and cake over instantly in the mud. For dry pack dirt roads (not gravel) they do ok but will still like to wash out. They look cool though both stock tires together weigh less than 1 front TKC.

MarkLowryIII
10-17-2019, 08:35 PM
After doing research on the Brozz tire sizes 17/19 here is what I found. This is after researching this site, multi other forums, net, and talking with 3 major brand bike shops. Here is list of what tires are available for the china bikes with the:

OEM front rim size 1.85x19, tire size 90/90/19
OEM rear rim size 2.5x17, tire size 110/90/17

Replacement Tire size:
Front 100/90/19 will work on the 1.85 rim for the front.
Rear 120/90/17 will work on the rear 2.5 rim.

I did a search of tire manufacturer sites and here is the model of tires they make in these sizes. I did only matching pairs since I do not run mix match tires. SO if you do there are a few more options that you could mix and match.

I did find one perfect match for the OEM tire size. But couldnt fine any state side but they were listed on Michelin USA site so you may be able to order them.
Michelin Sirac 110/90/17 and 90/90/19

Second best match and china rider favorite is
Shinko 244 2.75x19 front and 4.6x17 rear

The follow are tire brands that make the 100/90/19 front and 120/90/17 Rear.

AVON - Trail Rider
Mitas- Terra force, E07, E08, MC-24, E09 (Terra Force is new and caught my attetntion I will be looking for a review on these)
Metezeler- Tourance
Dunlop- Trail Smart
Continental- Trail attack 3, Trail attack 2, TKC 70, TKC 80, Escape
Perelli- MT60
Kenda- K761, K760

Now money wise and performance wise Shinko 244 is Top dog, and under a $100 a set. The others will be much heavier especially the AVONS they are like lead. They will also set you back most likely over $200+ a set.
Hope, this helps those looking for replacement tires.

Also here are couple links I found worth a read.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/docs/Dualsport-Tire-Info.pdf
https://dropbears.com/motorcycles/utilities/tyrerim.htm

After pulling my hair out trying to find exact replacements for the tires on my Brozz 250s (mine and my son's), I come across this breakdown. I've taken a screenshot of this post and I'll share it whenever/wherever it's needed!

GlennR
10-17-2019, 11:04 PM
The Shinko 244 is a great tire for my dual sport needs. I push them hard through the twisties and they grip well. I wouldn't want a more street looking tire on my dual sport bikes.

Btw, somebody mentioned to beware of heavy tires. I couldn't agree more. Small engine bikes need the lightest tires you can find, because heavy tires really rob power. I found the Dennis Kirk lists the weights of each tire size of all the brands that they carry. It's very handy info when researching tires.

Dual sport tires have very soft sidewalls, so they are especially easy to change. Almost as easy as a bicycle tire. :)

RevItUp
10-19-2019, 08:08 PM
Having had both on a Hawk, I would go for the 700 every time. The 705 is great on road, but the 700 is 90 percent as good on road, and much much better off road.

Where did you find the 700’s in a 19/17 combo? I can’t find them anywhere

Megadan
10-19-2019, 09:58 PM
Where did you find the 700’s in a 19/17 combo? I can’t find them anywhere

Nowhere. The context of that statement was made under the assumptions of this bike having a 21 and 18 inch wheel combo.

herbie
10-20-2019, 12:03 AM

I have the shinko 705's in my watch list, I think this is what I am going with once my tires wear out. I have about 3000 miles on the stock tires and I think I can go about another 2000 or 3000 miles before a change out. I am glad to hear they grip well as I use my bike mainly for on road riding.

Armycopter
10-20-2019, 08:12 AM
Peace Sports offers a knobby tire replacement for the Brozz 250. Has anyone tried it? I was thinking of giving it a go but probably not until next spring. I only have about a month left until I have to put the bike up for the winter. I definitely need some more aggressive tires though. The trails I ride have a fair bit of sand and mud and the stock Brozz tires can wash out pretty easily.

https://i.imgur.com/wexChW7.png

everready
10-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Kenda Trakmasters 2, if they come in that size. They are awesome on just about everything. I run them on my DR441. The rear wears pretty fast on pavement though.

OneLeggedRider
10-20-2019, 11:01 PM
Kenda Trakmasters rock! I put one on my front and bought 2 for my buddies. Even on pavement they offer higher stability than the stock Hawk knobby because they don't tend to follow grooves. And offroad they grip like no other. The downside is more road noise and vibration because the big knobs are so far apart.