PDA

View Full Version : db-27...

coleary15
03-15-2008, 08:21 PM
hey everybody once again i messed with sumthing that did no good once-so-ever and i need help getting my bike atleast running. its getting way to much gas and i know it has sumthing to do with the air mixture screw by the float bowl in the front...sum1 once said turn it in all the way and turn it out 2 1/2 turns but that isnt working and its getting plenty of spark.....PLEASE HELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!

TeamCheap
03-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Well what did you mess with first off?

And have you completely undone what you did to it?

coleary15
03-17-2008, 05:49 PM
well first i took off the carb and cleaned it and made sure everything was tight then i put the mixture screw back to its original settings that i had it onl when it started last week...

TeamCheap
03-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Is the fuel over flowing the carb or just way to rich when trying to start it?

Are you sure you got the main jet in and the throttle slide is in correct?

Choke is working properly?

2 to 2-1/2 turns out for the mixture screw is a good start.

coleary15
03-17-2008, 08:09 PM
the slide is in right and the 2 little holes in the back of the carb just spit gas all over my filter and yes 2 1/2 is what the guy told me but i have an after market filter and i got it started on 3 or 3 1/2 turns last week and now its just causing trouble...im thinking about selling it and buying a used 1990 jap. bike

knothead
03-17-2008, 08:29 PM
the slide is in right and the 2 little holes in the back of the carb just spit gas all over my filter and yes 2 1/2 is what the guy told me but i have an after market filter and i got it started on 3 or 3 1/2 turns last week and now its just causing trouble...im thinking about selling it and buying a used 1990 jap. bike

You can get a brand new, real Mikuni carb for less than $90 and it will bolt in.
But, did you take the float bowl off the carb? It sounds like you have dinged up the float settings and it's not stopping the fuel flow when the bowl is full. Should be an easy fix. Sometimes you can knock the float setting off if you're too rough with the carb.
If you took the float out, did you put the little valve and all the springs back in place? If not it will just piss gas out when you open the petcock.
The main thing is to stay calm, it can be fixed!

TeamCheap
03-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Hmm..... sounds like the float is set wrong.

Did you happen the bend that little tab on the float that touches the float needle?

If the float is sticking or misadjusted it can cause a flooding problem.

also make sure that the float needle is seating properly since it is what cuts the fuel supply when there is enough fuel in the float bowl.

coleary15
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
so how do i fix that?

TeamCheap
03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
THIS (http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/trail_tips/tip_float_level.html) IS a very general way of doing it and you really need to know the specific settings for YOUR carb but if it were me I'd try to adjust it a bit to see if I could get the fuel level down in the float bowl.(but thats just me)

basically if there is to much fuel in the float bowl then the tab on the float that presses the float needle up needs to be bent up a little thereby allowing the float the close the needle valve slighty earlier and lowering the fuel level in the float bowl.

coleary15
03-18-2008, 08:11 PM
which way do i bend the tab? up or down....

TeamCheap
03-18-2008, 08:43 PM
To lower the fuel level in the float bowl you need to bend the tab up slightly.

Bending the tab up will in affect allow the float to close the needle valve a little bit earlier.

coleary15
03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
im going to probably try that 2morrow bc i have a lot of studying to do but ill let u know how it goes...

TeamCheap
03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah let us know.

So do you think you maybe bent it before? it's not hard to bend those.

When I'm working on my carbs I lay all the pieces out on a clean rag on a clear bench with lots of good lighting and I try to be very careful when taking them apart because there are little pieces that can get lost very easily.(springs, little steel balls, tiny o-rings,needles,jets)

Using compressed air to blow out the fuel circuits works great unless you blow out some tiny parts that you didnt even see up in there.(done that-it's not fun)

coleary15
03-18-2008, 09:20 PM
i use carb and intake cleaner and i have a tall sided metal pan i spray it down in and theres a lil hose i attach 2 it and then do it and i havent bent anythiny yet...ive been really careful...