PDA

View Full Version : Tire Time

cheesy
09-07-2019, 06:04 PM
Decided today was the day to start swapping out the tires on the Maggot. Figured it would help keep my mind off that cluster known as my job. Pretty much worked because nothing has really gone right.
Once I got the bead broke the tire came off the rim fairly easy. New Shinko tire went on pretty quick, too. Thought this was going to be an easy morning. By 2 pm, I still haven’t had any luck getting the bead to seat. I’ve been at it since 11. I have mounted and unmounted the tire three times. I have tried silicone spray, a ratchet strap, a BFH, and brake cleaner with a match. Nothing got the bead to seat. If the brake clean trick doesn’t work, there is a problem. I dismounted the tire once again and noticed that the area between the sidewalls where the bead would seat was wider than the area it wouldn’t. So, I stuffed Ural tube in the tire and inflated until I had the same distance between the beads all the way around the tire. I’m letting that sit overnight and will try again in the morning. I stuffed a tube in the front tire, too, in hopes that I won’t have two repeats of today.

Old oversized rear tire on the left and new correct tire on the right.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48695442821_45f4106a9f.jpg
No wonder it was such a pain to swing a leg over.

cheesy
09-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Success. Tires are mounted and balanced. Went for a half hour ride and nothing came apart so I musta done good.

Haven't ridden the beast in over a year. I'm going to have to change that. It took some coaxing to get it started and did she smoke up the garage when she did start. Felt good to do some leaning into the curves along with 0-60 in NOW instead of eventually.