PDA

View Full Version : LF250 V-twin engine problems.

bigpaws
03-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I recently did a 1300km oil change on my LF250. I'm trying to ensure I change oil every 600-700km until I know how this bike will run. I cleaned out the filter element, and there were lots of small particles in it. I reassembled everything, and filled with Castrol 20W50 motorcycle oil. On my way to work this morning, the bike started knocking badly, and then stalled out. It's not seized, but now I'm afraid to do anything short of taking the whole motor apart to assess the damage.

Any ideas as to what happened?

My first oil change at 600km I didn't touch the filter...just drained & refilled the oil.

knothead
03-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Does it still have oil in the crank case? Maybe you didn't tighten the drain plug enough and it came out. Never even seen the V-twin in real life, so I'm just guessing.

bigpaws
03-24-2008, 06:48 PM
yep...oil was full (before I drained it to check for metal particles).

bigpaws
03-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Does anyone know if I can take a Yamaha Virago short block and use it to overhaul this engine?

bigpaws
04-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Well, my good friend who had worked on cars & bikes for over 50 years helped me pull my engine, and take it apart. Apparently, the bearings on the crank were junk / defective from the beginning, and gave up. I'm having a difficult time finding replacement parts with anyone who has phone support, and American Lifan won't sell me parts as I'm not a dealer. I'm going to check on using Yamaha crankshaft & pistons, as those parts I can actually get locally from a dealer.

Anyone know where I can get a repair / assembly manual for this motorcycle?

Luckily, there's no real damage to any other parts. All other bearings, gears, and valves turn freely. It should be a lot of work, but not a lot of cost to get this bike running again if I can find suitable parts.

olds_cool
04-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Sorry to hear you had to go thru that, man. Even if you replace parts, I still wouldn't trust it. Since the engine is torn down anyway, you might be better off just getting a Yami engine. You could probably fit a 400 in there.

bigpaws
04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Ya, I thought of using Yamaha engine. The problem with that is the cost. Even a wrecking yard engine will run $1200. I'll keep this forum updated as to what I decide to do, and how well it works. I'm also concerned with putting a bigger engine in this frame, as it doesn't look sturdy enough for a bigger engine.

Also, just a crankshaft & piston ring set from a Virago is $482. That's just too much. I can get a used beater bike for $1300 to use as a donor.

Maybe I'll convert it to use a Yanmar diesel, and get 110 MPG :D

250Brider
04-07-2008, 01:15 AM
I read your post and Im sure there are a lot of people here who can give ya clues..

I will offer my 2 cents..

The particles your seeing are from your clutch disc probably.. One fo the things I have been made aware of is this, some dealers and people who make the mistake of having a bike shipped to them dont realize that BEFORE you can start this engine out of the crate, you have to do an Oil Change to it. It comes shipped with packing oil, not motorcycle oil..

even worse, I have found some people have not been told that you cannot use regular car engine oil in a bike.. if you do, you will have clutch problems really soon..

Use only oil labled as MOTORCYCLE OIL.

You knocking noise could be from the carb loading up too much fuel in one or both cyclinders at certain throttle speeds. I cant diagnose problems without puttin my hands and eyeballs on it.. but that should help ya anyways..

A trip to your local Lifan dealer sounds in order..

Ride Lifan, Ride it with Pride and Ride Safe!!

bigpaws
04-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Well, I've gotten the engine completely apart, and decided to scrap the bike. I bought a 2002 Virago on Saturday, and used a lot of parts from the Lifan to update the Virago. All of the places I called to get parts for the Lifan told me that none were available, leaving me to believe 2 things.

Oil shipped with the bike (that I only added to, not changed out) damaged stuff somewhat. I did use only Castrol 4-stroke motorcycle oil after that, but the damage had been done.

Lifan built defective crankshafts & bearings on some of these engines.

I won't give up on Lifan, but for now will be riding my new Yamaha.

I think if I buy another Lifan that it will be a simpler design, 1 cylinder bike.

I'm also disappointed as to the poor quality of frame welds on the Lifan versus the Yamaha. Better luck next time, I suppose.

culcune
04-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Just a guess, but you stated that you did not change the oil right away, only added to the crap they put in it...probably did you in. :cry: I had a bad/learning experience with my enduro, and could now probably do it better. Still eyeing the Hi-Bird 250 enduro...

bigpaws
04-07-2008, 01:09 PM
ya, culcune, that's probably the main cause of malfunction. what i may be doing in the near future is something more extreme. i'm thinking of keeping the stock transmission (it's still ok, and gears turn fine), and installing a new 10HP 400cc Yanmar diesel. i need to check clearances to see how feasible this will be, but i found a new engine on craigslist for $450.

i'll stay on chinariders to see also which bikes last longer, and for sure will be purchasing a new chinese bike when i move to Dalian, China in 2009.

this website is looking to be a good source of reliable information.

does anyone know if i can get a Chinese generator engine running diesel? i'm a big fan of better mileage and reliability than i can get from spark-engines.

culcune
04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
I doubt you will find Chinese diesel generators due to EPA rules.

As far as bikes in China, it looks like the Qingqi's are good, and 'suprignet's' new Shineray looks very promising.

Will you be near either of the Chinariders members (Crazy Carl, suprignet)?