PDA

View Full Version : Greeting from North Country New York

Cam
01-08-2007, 10:50 AM
I will not try to bore you by writing a novel, but I will explain some of the reasons I purchased this bike, experiences with the dealer and my opinion of it's quality.

I was looking for a new bike for my wife. A trail bike, we haves fields around our house and miles of trails in the woods. She is a vertically challenged grandmother who has never ridden before. There are plenty of dirt bikes out there and what they call 'pit' bikes, but there are not any real trail bikes anymore like what we had growing up in the '60's and '70's.

I wanted something with a low cc displacement. If she accidently blipped the wick, she would not be a happy camper landing on her backside. Something with lights, horn, turn signals, etc., so she could become familiar with motorcycle controls if ever she decided to ride on the street.
Also, the seating had to be as low as possible.

The DB-03 was the best compromise I could come up with. I knew in the beginning that I would have to change the tires(it comes with a ribbed front and a trial type tire on the pusher). Fabricate a skid plate and rear rack of some sort. The only real downside is starting, it's a kicker, but she won't be going anyplace without me and I like 'em. I wasn't thrilled about all the plastic, but it seems the fad now with this type of bike. The name 'Terminator' almost killed the sale, when you're closer to the end than the beginning you don't really need any reminders, and the thought of being terminated while riding was a bit much for her.

We worked through all that and ordered the bike from Linto's in October. When it arrived she was crushed, it had been dropped either off a truck or one of the forklifts. The front end was completely crushed, frame was bent and a lot of the plastic broken. In the Linto contract you have to take the motorcycle or pay half the price to ship it back. ( I learned later the law in New York anyway is, you don't have to accept damage or tampered with goods). We documented everything on the bill of lading before the trucker took off.

I hauled the bike, in what was left of the crate, out to the barn and there it sat for two months until we go everything 'straightened' out. That was a trial. Anyway, after going back and forth between Linto and the trucking company(they said it was that way when they picked it up). Linto had the destroyed bike picked up in December and sent us another one. Linto had to eat the bike, because Roadrunner's(the trucking company) insurance isn't worth the paper it's written.

The new bike was sent by UPS and arrived in fairly good condition, only two of the plastic panels damaged and Thomas (nice guy) at Linto's has promised to send us new ones.

After slapping the tire on 'er, changing the oil, putting on a fuel filter, checking the fasteners and some fuel, she started right up on the 3rd crank, and after adjusting the mixture and idle screws a little, I took it for a shakedown.

I gotta get used to the crazy shift pattern, but it shifts very easily and the light telling you which gear you are in will be helpful for my wife. I have only put about 5 miles on it and am waiting for the tires before she gets into the saddle, but it is fun. There is something to be said for a low cc, light bike.

Quality. I have been around bikes most of my life. I am amazed at the amount of almost violent prejudice against Chinese bikes. I remember when Jap bikes were considered crap and the illogical hatred some had toward them, and now look.

Yeh, the fasteners aren't great. But I remember the early Jap bikes and they weren't so hot either. Believe me.

If the wife decides she doesn't want it, I'll keep it. I like it.

'05 Roketa DB-03
Rokon TB-K
IMZ-8.1036 Retro
HD FLSTN Deluxe

frostbite
01-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Hey Cam, welcome.

he name 'Terminator' almost killed the sale, when you're closer to the end than the beginning you don't really need any reminders...

Too funny!

:D