PDA

View Full Version : DB-27 No Problems

kelly5150
03-30-2008, 04:12 PM
It has been a month since I rode this bike , too busy being sick and messing with the Pit-Bike build . I went out in the garage today to start everything . Maintaining a small fleet of motorcycles takes some effort, but it is very pleasurable effort indeed. Anyway, I put new gas in the DB , turned the key on, cranked it three small times with the starter , boom it fired right up . Mind you it is in the 30's this morning , snowing off and on , cold .
Shinray did good on this bike model for sure. It looks simular to the Old School Honda's , and runs strong . I sure love this little bike . After putting on a nice pipe and real bars and grips , it is a joy to own and ride. I probably made the neighbors mad this morning, Sunday 9:00 am, but oh well, a mans gotta ride :lol: If you own one of these, change the tail-pipe to a big fatty something, it makes all the diferrence in the world for perk and pep to the motor of this bike, trust me. Plus it is loud :lol:
After taking it up and down the road ten times to blow out the cobb-webs , I scooted around the yard and track for awhile . Snow is mighty slippery , but it makes good mudd :lol:
I just cannot understand the people that whine about this bike ? They either don't know how to tune them or they are just too hard on them and expect KTM performance or something from Inexpensive China motorcycles ? What a great freekin motorcycle this is man !
I took out the Viva 250cc for awhile too , but parked it after a short rip-n-ride and went back to the DB for some more rippin around. Now that's sick behaviour ! :lol: I guess that tells you just how much I like the DB . The Viva 250cc is a monster bike, very fast, very cool, very tall , but the DB in the snow is just flat out funner because the low center of gravity compaired to the Viva 250 . Plus I have it tuned so well now it screams after being broke in right . I am sure I pissed off the neighbors, but private property is soooo nice to have, they just can't say sqwat about it . Heck it is no worse than my neighbor and his wood-chipper at 7:00 am Saturday screaming that thing for 6 hours straight. Pay-backs today obviously :lol: !!!! Wake up everybody :lol:
If you don't own one of these bikes, go get one , you probably won't be disapointed if you treat it right, tune it right and maintain it right . Change the muffler-pipe though , it is in dyer need of it for sure.

Anyway, back to my Nascar race , I am frozen, wet , HAPPY as a pig in you know what and I rode today , I feel good . This bike reminds me allot of my old Yamaha AT125 back in the 70's model. But its significantly faster . Good old school low profile MX racer the DB is. Nice bike ! :lol:

Later, Cheers, Kelly5150 out

TeamCheap
03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I ride my bike hard but I dont tear it up or even try to tear it up because I know I can break it, I like it to just be there and ready to go.
Some people just outright abuse things and even a top of the line bike will fail with misuse.
I have a small fleet here as well and it is time consuming and costly to maintain them so I try to just ride them not break them. :lol:

I must be getting old because I just cant bring myself to go out and ride when it's colder than mid to upper 50's. :lol:

I hope to be putting something together to ride as a main bike this summer and then maybe just maybe I'll set my lf200 up to ice race for next winter and I'll just wear the carhart extreme winter wear that my work supplied to me. :lol:

kelly5150
03-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Yes, TeamCheap , you are getting old . 8O
I don't like riding in the cruddy weather either, but sometimes you just GOT TO RIDE :lol:
When you have been sick for two weeks plus , been screwed over by suppliers, again , waiting on important parts, riding is the only cure for that misery . It worked !
Tonight I am eating Elk Rib-Eye Steak , so its all good today :lol:

Cheerios , Kelly5150 out

TeamCheap
03-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I am just itching to get out and ride to the point of not being able to stand it and if something doesnt give soon I'll pop. :lol:

This weather here just wont break, cold and snow.I like the snow but I have had my fill of it for this year.

I do think it has finally turned in my favor as I see forcasts for temps in the 50's.(50's and sun feel like a heat wave to me but thats still a cold ride on a bike)

kelly5150
03-31-2008, 11:17 AM
You know TeamCheap , even if you get out for ten minutes and race around you will feel better . I know its a drag cleaning up a bike after only a few minute ride, but its worth it .
Yeh, were supposed to be getting mid to upper 50's this week too, look forward to it , but of course I will be too busy in the daylight to ride anything, and of course I just know its going to rain this weekend on me . Just cannot win , but I do have some parts to install on other bikes this weekend, so at least I can do BIKE something . Of course I will ride anyway rain or shine this weekend too .
Just get out and ride anyway , it will do you some good. That's what they made hot coffee for anyway and a hot shower .

Cheers, Kelly5150

ChiGongJitsu
03-31-2008, 05:12 PM
The weather is driving me nuts too, it's on the upswing now, so i'll be heading out to ride hopefully sooner than later. If i can't do anything else, i just practice starts and stops on my driveway. You can never get too good at that stuff.

coleary15
03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
hey kelly what is ur fuel mixture screw set 2 on ur db? is it 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 or sumthin like that and what is ur idle set at....i need help adjusting mine bc i got a new crew and its the same 1 but it just wont start....im really madd ggrrrrrr :evil:

kelly5150
03-31-2008, 07:01 PM
ChiGongJitsus' got cabin fever too, seams to be the trend unless you live in Alabama ?
I talked to Dad last night in Dothan Alabama , he was sitting on the porch watching Hummingbirds at the feeder, shorts on, 80* weather.
I told him don't dare call me when its 108* and 100% humidity, because I won't be very sympathetic :evil: :lol:
That, and his wife was cooking him Shrimp Gumbo no less ! I am sooooo jelous . Why do I still live in Washington ??? No good reason .
We just bought our airfare for April 2009 Talladega Nascar Race vacation, again , and I tell ya, I may never come back !
I do know, a year or so after that vacation and I am moving SOUTH anyway . Tired of our Tax bracket here , highest in the Nation of course ? For what ?

See ya, Later, Cheers, Kelly5150

coleary15
03-31-2008, 07:10 PM
so whats the settings on ur db-27....any suggestions lol

TeamCheap
03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
nope cant do it.
Its a bit more than just the temps because with those low temps comes snow, ice and then salt.

I cant bring myself to ride it out on the salt coated streets, do you have any idea of what that does to a bike.

Anyway we have been getting some rain and that will wash the salt off the road and the temps are getting into the 50's so I'll be able to ride it soon.(this week I hope)

I swear I heard a smalll rumble of thunder tonight.(yes bring on the rain-they dont salt rain around here)

kelly5150
03-31-2008, 10:19 PM
My Mixture screw is about 2-1/4, the idlle screw is in allot when I fire it, out allot when its warm. The idle screw is never the same on any of my bikes, can't be done really , it just doesn't work that way on most carbs that I have dealt with . Especially on China bike motors, they are very heat sensitive as far as carburation goes.
Try your bike with the idle screw screwed in allot to fire it , that will lift the slide up .

Cheers, Kelly

kelly5150
04-01-2008, 03:21 AM
Coleary15,
My mixture screw setting will have no real effect of what yours is going to be though .
Try to understand that every bike, every carb adjustment is going to be different , a little .
I have a tighter spark plug gap than it came stock ( it runs and burns better for my bike than the stock setting did ) . I have a Fat-Pipe on it . I set the slide in it one ring higher on the needle adjustment inside the carb . I am running a different air cleaner . All those factors make my bike individual from yours . Yours is NOT going to run on those settings . It may run, but I bet your spark plug will not look like mine as far as the right carbon burn goes if you pulled your plug .
As far as idle screws goes, it isn't uncommon for me to start my Harley or Norton with the idle screws in a little till warm with choke on, back them out a bit , off choke , then when I get to my first light ( ten miles away ) , I will pull over and re-adjust the bike to idle even lower. I will do this several times untill its just right for my riding style and the bikes sound and they are running well when its really hot . Then when I get back home froma long ride, I shut the bike down, empty the gas out of the carb via the drain screw , then I screw the idle screw back in close to where I started the last time I started it . Works well this way everytime I ride ,a nd that is what you HAVE to do to make bikes perform right. You can't just set your idle and expect it to run right when its cold and when its hot . It just doesn't happen that way whatsoever .
It took a long darn time to figure out my DB's sweet spot, especially after I installed the new pipe . I had to change everything in the carb settings to get it right, plus a new spark plug gap .
Don't feel to disappointed trying to get your bike tuned right, as I still don't have the Viva 250 where I want it either . It is close, but it never is perfect on that bike, which way pisses me off, but I attribute it to a crappy China carburetor and too much smog crap on it. I have been too busy doing life and other bikes to take the time to just buy a Mikuni carburetor and yank the smog off also . But I will soon !
It is an art more than a science to listen and ride the bike to see what it likes, and it takes a long time to do it sometimes. Plus your motor changes as you put miles on it, so you have to artistically tune these as you age them.
You know, a weak coil will make it a pecker to start too ? I am not sure what your bikes problem is, honestly, without having it in front of me ?
One thing I do know is my settings and set-up for my bike won't be yours .
Make sure your getting BRIGHT spark on your plug first off, clean fuel feed-flow , carb is set-up stock 1-1/2 out on the mixture , needle is set to middle setting on the slide , NEW plug and go from there . Start it with the idle screw in alot too . Not tight in, but close . It should if everyhting is getting gas and spark, fire right up . If not, you have bigger issues , and probably carb issues or spark .

Hope you get her going right, and soon . Worse case scenario, take it to someone who knows bikes .

Cheers, kelly5150 out

coleary15
04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
thanx most of thats helpful and i got starting fluid 2day and that migt help...1 or 2 sprays...ill get back with u on that...what kind of pipe did u get....pics?

kelly5150
04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey Coleary15, be cautious with that starting fluid . :oops:
Not a good idea at all. If it won't start unless you use starting fluid, something is major wrong with something . Is it below zero degrees ?
Why are you using starting fluid ? Does it actually stay running after it fires with the starting fluid ? If you don't turn it over with the starter while your spraying that stuff in your carb, your going to blow your motor up .

The pics of the pipe are in Dirtbike Forum .

Good luck, and do you want me to call 911 now or after you catch yourself and your bike on fire with that Ether 8O .
A DB is no dragster or Nascar 800 Horsepower machine , it should never need starting fluid to start it if all systems are a go .

Who told you to use that stuff ? Thats like putting on a bandaid on abroken leg. It won't fix the problem !!!!!

Kelly out

coleary15
04-02-2008, 09:38 PM
haha ok ill listen 2 u and a guy on a local forum did and it wont even turn over at all...its around 50 degrees out...idk anymore...im going crazy with this bike

oncedead
04-06-2008, 02:11 AM
haha ok ill listen 2 u and a guy on a local forum did and it wont even turn over at all...its around 50 degrees out...idk anymore...im going crazy with this bike Been there, done that .

coleary15
04-06-2008, 02:50 PM
should i just sell it and buy a new china bike with 2007 enginneering mayb being better? or should i buy a new carb...

my dealer has a bike that his son rides at his shop...should i give my carb to him and c if he can tune it to get it close to stock so i can go from there...im only 15 so im new to the engine tuning process...

kelly5150
04-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Yo, carbs are cheap on E-Bay, Mikuni's for $25 to $50 .
I can guarnatee you won't be having carb issues once you get one of the Mikuni's on there . Yours is probably fine, just bent up from you messing with it , cleaning it , etc.
If that is the problem, the carb, then get another carb, but it may not even be the problem ?
You never said whether your getting good spark or not ?
Too much oil in the case could prevent it from going right too, did you check that too ?????
Take it to someone that knows bikes and have them look at it is my advice. I bet they could diagnose it in an hour or less . That might cost you a whole $80 , so you might consider it ?
Selling a bike because you can't get it running is not an option to me personally ? It is mechanical, a MAN or WOMAN built it, it can be fixed and it should run if everything is in order . Don't give up so easilly just becuase YOU cannot figure it out . Like you said, your only 15 . How much experience with bikes can you possibly have being that young ??? Not much . We were all like you at one time, but through knuckle busting headaches trying to figure out the MACHINES, we all got better at it eventually from learned lessons and advice. Whatever it is it is SIMPLE , but it is eluding you is all . Without me having the bike in front of me, I am helpless to help you .

Good luck, take it to a shop .

Cheers, keep your chin up, but don't sell it, fix it !!!! :lol:

coleary15
04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
i have a great spark and i do need 2 replace the oil...ill try that then tell u how it goes...