PDA

View Full Version : SVPRO Heated Socks

cheesy
02-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Why, oh why, haven’t I gotten these earlier? Bought these last month and finally remembered to try them on this mornings ride.

So, 15F outside temp and an average speed of 45 mph translates to a windchill of -9F according to the cyclefish.com MC Windchill Chart.(take it with a grain of salt) I wear Sorel Pak boots rated to -45F during the winter. Being Diabetic, my feet still get chilled while the rest of me is toasty.

Enter the SVPRO socks. Each sock has its own Li-On battery pack that’s just slightly larger than a AA battery. Each battery has its own built in temp controller, L/M/H and Off. The socks themselves are a very tight knit Merino wool that are mid calf length.

I tried them on Low for today’s ride and they kept my feet comfortably warm. In fact, I never thought about my feet being cold until the last few miles of my ride where the headwind was so strong I could barely make fifty. Then my feet started to chill a bit. I imagine if I’d stopped and turned the socks up a notch, that would have compensated.

Pros-Inexpensive (under $25@Amazon), well made, compact Li-On battery w/controller(remember the woolly heated socks from the last century that used a 9v battery. Temp control was Off and My Toes Are Burning until the battery died five minutes later), itch proof Merino wool. Charger does both batteries at the same time.

Cons-All I can really think of is that you must stop and hike up a pant leg to adjust temp or turn each controller On or Off.

AJboughtamoto
02-15-2020, 12:59 PM
I've got heated glove liners that run off the bike battery, been wanting some socks too. Are these waterproof?

cheesy
02-15-2020, 06:42 PM
I doubt they are water proof. I was also wrong about them being Merino wool. They are a spandex and something blend that sure feels like merino.