PDA

View Full Version : TaoTao db14 pre flight inspection???

Sko_moto
02-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Just put together the db14 for the kids last night and have not even turned once the engine. Still have to change out the shipping oil for some good stuff but would there be any need to check the valves and if so, is there a write up or video that would help a guy out?
I've never done a valve check on a bike....
Engine is a 110cc 4 stroke.
:thanks:

zero_dgz
02-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Checking and adjusting the valves is a very good idea prior to running the bike for any length of time. These Chinese bikes tend to ship with the valves tight as hell -- sometimes no clearance at all.

From what I was able to find, the valve clearance spec is .005" to .009".

Pretty much all rocker arm engines have the same general valve clearance procedure. Set the engine to top dead center on the compression stroke (there should be an inspection plug on the left hand side of the engine case, and a plug over the nut on the crankshaft below it). Measure the clearance between both valves, loosen the locknuts and twist the little square topped thingies to adjust, then retighten the lock nuts. Ensure that the act of tightening the lock nut does not move the adjuster (a very tiny movement equates to a measurable difference). There is a special holder tool you can buy, but most of these I've touched will fit a regular old 4mm wrench -- or a spoke wrench of that size, if you have one.

Here's a general tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygfESBBUjAA