PDA

View Full Version : Venom X22 125 brakes vs. 250 brakes.

Psomniferum
03-14-2020, 05:19 PM
I own an X22/125cc from Venom Motorsports. I'm 95% sure the 250cc model has better brakes, springs, etc. compared to the 125cc model. I plan on upgrading my bike with the heavier pieces to help keep up with the beefed-up 150cc I'm transplanting. Can any X22/250 owners tell me what good aftermarket brakes and/or suspension you have used on your ride? Would it be practical for me to gut a wrecked cbr250 and go from there? I know they use identically-sized rims. Although my 125cc uses 5-lug rotors that eerily remind me of a Grom! I'd really appreciate any and all advice. Brand new to bikes.

JerryHawk250
03-16-2020, 10:06 AM
The brake calipers don't look like they will be a direct swap. Mounts are completely different. My bike is still new so haven't even though about upgrade pads. Brakes are pretty good as is. I'm not sure what pads your bike will take but i would think they are a copy of some name brand bike so you should be able to find a better quality pad. Go to EBC Brakes website there is a motorcycle brake catalog you can download and match up the pads. That's what i did for my hawk.

https://ebcbrakes.com/usa-automotive-fast-parts-look-up-dci-iwebcat/

Psomniferum
03-16-2020, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the link! I have been looking at pads online and in person. I believe my pads resemble the Honda Grom's brakes. Before my bike was stolen, I was able to put close to 300x miles on it. Already, I was not satisfied with the brakes. Experienced brake fade very early on! My 1st choice would be to upgrade to all the 250-model pieces. Venom had a little trouble helping me replace the stock pieces on my bike, let alone pieces for a 250. I'll have to find a part distributor for these Baodiao 250-clones.

PS- From what I've been able to find out, the 125cc model of the Venom X22 is only for California (lucky me!) and there aren't that many out there. They call it the "Green" model on their site, LOL!

JerryHawk250
03-16-2020, 10:41 AM
Did you clean the rotors real good with brake cleaner? If not, just about all these china bikes come with some kind of rust inhibitor oily film on them. The rotors might be slight glazed. Try scuffing them up with a scotch bright pad and scuff up your pads with sand paper on a flat surface. Clean up the rotors again with brake cleaner.