PDA

View Full Version : My Venom X22R progress thread 😂

TiggerOG
05-02-2020, 12:39 AM
And so, the journey begins. Tonight I decided to hold off on making mods till I get the engine broken in a bit. I want to see how it performs in stock trim to be able to report better to the few who asked. My work commute is only like 5 miles one way so I don't think I'll suffer too badly. I've gotten my aftermarket turn signals installed and really like them. Only other thing so far are mirrors. I'll be updated this posting as I progress and do new and exciting things.

https://youtu.be/3YRNI2v8DDk

Megadan
05-02-2020, 06:06 AM
Nothing wrong with breaking it in stock. I am sure it is still more than capable of getting you to work and back.

JerryHawk250
05-02-2020, 08:20 AM
Nothing wrong with running it stock until it's broke in. It will run good as is. But I knew the potential performance gains that's were in front of me so I did most of the mods the first weekend I had it. I couldn't wait. Lol

Chrisguga
05-02-2020, 09:08 AM
Hey, looks great! I like that blue. I look forward to seeing your mods progress!

TiggerOG
05-03-2020, 07:27 PM
Well finally back home and after a bit of riding I went ahead and put on my customtaylor33 baby blue reflective rim tape. I love the new profile look and it even catches light well in the daytime. Here are a couple pics one with and one without flash. Once the sun goes down I'll add a night pic

TiggerOG
05-03-2020, 07:40 PM
Ok I cant just sit idle lol... In the process of installing the 18 tooth front sprocket just to see if it fits.

Edit : well boys and girls the 18 tooth front sprocket is on and I have to say I'm very pleased with the initial test ride. I took my poor man's video of the install it will be uploaded in a bit. My GPS didn't find a signal so I don't have improvement numbers yet but it was quite noticeable to the seat of the pants test. Hopefully not a placebo effect lol. I'll have numbers to compare tomorrow though.

TiggerOG
05-03-2020, 09:31 PM
And now for your viewing pleasure

https://youtu.be/JKkCn-wnz7Q

Chrisguga
05-04-2020, 07:24 AM
Thanks for posting the video. That looks very easy to swap.

I have a 36 tooth rear sprocket and it made a 1000 rpm difference at 60mph gps, but after I install my hp mods over the winter, I’d like to add an 18 tooth front sprocket to drop the cruise rpms even further. I figured it would be too tight of a fit, but this gives me some hope that it’ll work.

JerryHawk250
05-04-2020, 07:37 AM
That's why i went with a smaller rear sprocket. The X22R has the same issue as the Hawk. There's just not enough room for the 18 tooth. Even if you cut out some of the cover it just passes to close for me. Too much slack in the chain and you'll end up replacing the case.

The blue rim tape looks good. Never was crazy about the green rim stripe. I plan on getting the reflective black rim tape. Anything to make yourself more visible at night is a plus. :tup:

TiggerOG
05-05-2020, 03:46 PM
So I installed the 34 tooth sprocket in a haste and didn't get video lol oops. I was late getting home and had somewhere else to go... I'll try to do one when I get a 35 or 36 tooth. The chain is super close to the hub but it works. Originally the speed in 5th at 60 mph indicated was around 45 mph by GPS. Currently with both sprockets that speed is now about 52 mph gps at 46-4700 rpm. The gearing feels a lot better being longer and I find myself tooling around town in 4th gear now as at 45-60mph I seem to be in the power band better. More updates to follow

JerryHawk250
05-05-2020, 04:14 PM
Yes with the 34 tooth it passes way to close to the hub. That's why i suggest a 35 tooth minimum. I've had no issues with the stock chain hitting but a chain with a thicker link or an o-ring chain would probably hit. Whenever i replace the chain i'll order another 35 or 36 tooth sprocket.
The higher gear ratio makes the bike feel so much better on the highway. Which BTW i hit the interstate on my way to work this morning and got her up to 80mph. :D

TiggerOG
05-05-2020, 10:57 PM
So in my haste to get the rear sprocket on in time to ride to work I overlooked something rather important.... The retaining ring between the lock ring and sprocket. So on my way home tonight I could feel the bike doing something weird. Turns out my rear sprocket was floating just a bit and it was making it ride wonky. Well lesson learned. I will need to clearance the back for the bolts or the front for the ring.... FML

JerryHawk250
05-06-2020, 07:51 AM
Don't recess the bolts. I made that same mistake and had to put washers to shim it back out. I milled my sprocket out to receive the steel ring that was with the original sprocket. I recessed it the thickness of the steel ring. I'll get a picture sometime today. A milling bit on the drill press made quick work of it. This is something i'll get done on the next one i order.

TiggerOG
05-06-2020, 12:54 PM
Don't recess the bolts. I made that same mistake and had to put washers to shim it back out. I milled my sprocket out to receive the steel ring that was with the original sprocket. I recessed it the thickness of the steel ring. I'll get a picture sometime today. A milling bit on the drill press made quick work of it. This is something i'll get done on the next one i order.

Good to know. That was likely the route I was gonna take because everything looked lined up fine as it sat. I will probably be able to use my router and make quick work of it.

JerryHawk250
05-06-2020, 01:02 PM
Good to know. That was likely the route I was gonna take because everything looked lined up fine as it sat. I will probably be able to use my router and make quick work of it. lol i thought about using my router too. You're only taking out the thickness of the steel ring about 1/8" wide. I going to clarify that information in my next video.

JerryHawk250
05-07-2020, 07:38 AM
As promise, here's the rear sprocket with the steel ring recessed complete wit a nice coat of limestone dust from the parking lot at work. :ohno:

MeatHammer
05-07-2020, 10:53 AM
As promise, here's the rear sprocket with the steel ring recessed complete wit a nice coat of limestone dust from the parking lot at work. :ohno:

What specs do you need for the sprocket with the cut out? I am going to order one soon and want to get it with that cut out.

Chrisguga
05-07-2020, 10:58 AM
What specs do you need for the sprocket with the cut out? I am going to order one soon and want to get it with that cut out.

You could just order it to be thinner. That’s what I’m going to do to my sprocket. I’m going to take it off and sand it out to the thickness of the stock one so the steel ring fits.

I’ll post my measurements of the stock one and aftermarket one for comparison when I work on the bike Saturday. I might even get to it tonight.

JerryHawk250
05-07-2020, 11:35 AM
I don't have that information right off hand. I didn't measure the ring. I just traced out the steel ring while it was on the hub.

TiggerOG
05-11-2020, 04:46 PM
Got the sprocket pocketed today with a carbide bit I'm my Dremel lol. Where there was a will there is a way. Looks good and fits snug. Also while I had the Dremel out I installed an under tail bracket to get ride of the big ol ugly fender.

JerryHawk250
05-11-2020, 04:49 PM
Sprocket looks like mine. I works. :tup:
I like the licence plate bracket.

TiggerOG
05-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Sprocket looks like mine. I works. :tup:
I like the licence plate bracket.

Had to be blue to add to the color pop

TiggerOG
05-12-2020, 10:11 PM
Just a quick look at the bike before my ride home. Got the LED in today. Need to figure out how to get them adjusted up a little bit though but I can now see more than 20 feet in front of myself now so that's an improvement.

https://youtu.be/h-zW3gWsxFk

Megadan
05-13-2020, 04:14 AM
Are you able to angle the plate out at all or is it fixed straight up and down like that?

JerryHawk250
05-13-2020, 08:02 AM
Just a quick look at the bike before my ride home. Got the LED in today. Need to figure out how to get them adjusted up a little bit though but I can now see more than 20 feet in front of myself now so that's an improvement.

There is a hex head screw on the back of the headlight housing.Turn it CCW to raise the beam. At first i thought the screw wasn't doing anything because i was turning it CW so i shimmed out the top of the headlight housing with rubber washers. I figured it out later i was turning the screw the wrong way. :doh:

TiggerOG
05-13-2020, 09:19 AM
Are you able to angle the plate out at all or is it fixed straight up and down like that?

The bracket is fully adjustable. That's just where i set it.

TiggerOG
05-13-2020, 09:21 AM
There is a hex head screw on the back of the headlight housing.Turn it CCW to raise the beam. At first i thought the screw wasn't doing anything because i was turning it CW so i shimmed out the top of the headlight housing with rubber washers. I figured it out later i was turning the screw the wrong way. :doh:

Man I've turned and turned and it doesn't budge lol. Id take it off and see if the adjuster was off but I just dont want to right now lol

Chrisguga
05-13-2020, 12:39 PM
How’s that 18 tooth sprocket doing? Any problems with rubbing?

Also, what are your rpms at 60mph gps? I’m guessing 5500?

TiggerOG
05-13-2020, 01:35 PM
How’s that 18 tooth sprocket doing? Any problems with rubbing?

Also, what are your rpms at 60mph gps? I’m guessing 5500?

No problems rubbing with the cover off. I had to clearance the inside of the cover just a little bit to get it back in place. Pretty quick work with the Dremel.

At 5500 rpm in 5th gear I'm running 65mph. Without doing more performance oriented mods at this time my top speed seems to be 72mph on the GPS. Just doesn't have the balls right now for the gearing lol.

Also shameless pic of her inside because I can.

Chrisguga
05-13-2020, 03:58 PM
No problems rubbing with the cover off. I had to clearance the inside of the cover just a little bit to get it back in place. Pretty quick work with the Dremel.

At 5500 rpm in 5th gear I'm running 65mph. Without doing more performance oriented mods at this time my top speed seems to be 72mph on the GPS. Just doesn't have the balls right now for the gearing lol.

Also shameless pic of her inside because I can.
That blue is very nice!

Wow, 65 at 5500. That’s awesome. I turn 6500 at 65 which isn’t bad, but 5500 would be an even more comfortable rpm.

My top speed with a 17/36 combo is 74 so I’m right there with you. I bought the 11:1 compression 233cc big bore Athena kit and I’m going to also port the head and buy a cam. Once I do that, I might try the 18/34 gearing because then I’ll have the torque to comfortably pull rpm.

TiggerOG
05-13-2020, 06:17 PM
I need to clear the cat out and get my other carb and filter on. I'm sure that'll help a ton. I have both the wiseco piston and the Athena kit marked for purchase so after I get some feedback on your install I'll choose between which route to take. Money is tight atm so want to make the best informed decision I can.

Ina Ditch
05-13-2020, 07:04 PM
that blue gets prettier every time I see it !!!

JerryHawk250
05-14-2020, 07:29 AM
I need to clear the cat out and get my other carb and filter on. I'm sure that'll help a ton. I have both the wiseco piston and the Athena kit marked for purchase so after I get some feedback on your install I'll choose between which route to take. Money is tight atm so want to make the best informed decision I can.

Just removing the cat and tuning the stock carb will make a difference. What carb are you going with?

Chrisguga
05-14-2020, 10:36 AM
Like Jerry said, removing the cat helps a lot. Break-in and removing the cat were my best power mods so far.

TiggerOG
05-14-2020, 10:39 AM
I went with a VM26 30mm mikuni. Lots of experience with mikuni carbs so seemed logical.

JerryHawk250
05-14-2020, 10:52 AM
I went with a VM26 30mm mikuni. Lots of experience with mikuni carbs so seemed logical.

To be honest, you won't find any improvement over the stock carb. The PZ30 pumper carb that come with these bikes are what most will upgrade to. Unlike the the PZ30 that came on my hawk. The stock carb comes with screws instead of the tamper proof screws so swapping out jets are easy. Standard Keihin jet work with this carb. The only thing you need to remove on the stock carb is the plug covering the idle mixture screw. An upgrade from stock would be a smooth bore PE30 or PWK30 carb. My bike ran well with the stock carb. I only upgraded to the PE30 because i knew i was going to port the head and bump up the CR and needed a carb that would flow better. The PE30 work better on the stock engine but was a little tricky fine tuning the slow jet and idle mixture until i did the performance mods.

TiggerOG
05-14-2020, 11:49 PM
Went a little over on the first oil change but got her done today and installed the oil cooler. Have some pics.

TiggerOG
05-23-2020, 10:14 PM
So... I bought a welder. Work schedule never allows me to get to a shop so I could get my cat gutted. Welder delivered today and did it myself. While I was in there I deleted the s.a.i. system and removed the stock air box.

Got the cat out, welded back together, and titanium exhaust wrapped the whole shebang to hide my utilitarian welds. Removed the whole sai system from the bike and welded up the plate to block off the hole in the head. Decided to keep the stock carb and just re jetted to a 115 with a pod filter. It seems to run a little rich so I'll back that down a bit and fine tune it later but for now rich is better than lean imo.

Also installed a tail bag the other day because it's getting too hot for a backpack all the time. Anyways I failed to document most of this because I was drinking and talking with my dad most of the time but here are a few pics.

Went for a quick spin to test her out and yes indeed the extra air flow and fuel has made quite the noticable difference. Can't wait to ride her tomorrow and see what she does.

TiggerOG
05-23-2020, 10:20 PM
Also the welder I got was cheap and super easy to setup and use and I'm very impressed with it.

VIVOHOME Portable Flux Core Wire... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QNTY866?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

If anyone cares

JerryHawk250
05-24-2020, 07:35 AM
With the gutted cat and pod filter I was running a 108 in the stock carb. I bet she's starting to wake up with those mods.

TiggerOG
05-24-2020, 01:24 PM
With the gutted cat and pod filter I was running a 108 in the stock carb. I bet she's starting to wake up with those mods.

I meant to put in the 110 actually but once all was together I seen it sitting there next to the stock jet lol. But yes, she woke up a noticeable amount. Just on the 5 mile ride to work this morning I was happy.

Barnone
05-24-2020, 05:59 PM
TiggerOG,
Please a link to where you bought the oil cooler?

Chrisguga
05-24-2020, 06:54 PM
Very nice! I started at a 110 and worked my way down to the 105 main jet. It felt the strongest at my current mods, which are the same as yours.

Megadan
05-25-2020, 03:41 AM
TiggerOG,
Please a link to where you bought the oil cooler?

They are stupid expensive right now thanks to the Covid 19 screwing with the cost of shipping. Normally you could get one for about 65-70 bucks, and about 90 through Amazon. Now they are 126 bucks through Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/KIMISS-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Radiator-modified/dp/B07HKHT4QH

And they are about 95-100 shipped from Aliexpress. |https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32950330074.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.75eb5babty4 C5U

It's the same oil cooler I use on my Hawk and Jerry runs on his X22R. Works rather well, and the hoses are long enough to mount the cooler pretty high up if needed. As seen on my bike here, that's as high as I can put it on the frame and the banjo bolts are facing up.
https://i.ibb.co/cgmkVcK/52320ride5.jpg

For you guys with the CB motors that don't have a bottom drain bolt, if you setup the lowest line on the cooler to be the port for the draw from the sump to the cooler (The hole on the outside of the pump inlet seal on the block fitting), then you can still drain the oil from that plug without removing it by simply removing that lower banjo bolt.

Barnone
05-25-2020, 08:00 AM
^^^^^
Thanks for the info.

JerryHawk250
05-25-2020, 09:06 AM
Wow! They really have gone up. I have gotten mine from Amazon for $57

TiggerOG
05-25-2020, 09:12 PM
Made a quick video running up and down my street so I could hear the bike lol. Here it is.

https://youtu.be/5nzf0JXWfec

Megadan
05-25-2020, 09:21 PM
Sounds like a tiny bit of decel popping. Might need to tweak the idle mixture a little bit.

Good sounding bike. The OHC motors sound so different from the CG engines at higher RPM.

Wow! They really have gone up. I have gotten mine from Amazon for $57

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I think mine was 61 from Aliexpress, before you could even find them on Amazon. Hopefully the prices come back down as the world returns to normal, everything is expensive.

TiggerOG
05-25-2020, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a tiny bit of decel popping. Might need to tweak the idle mixture a little bit.

Good sounding bike. The OHC motors sound so different from the CG engines at higher RPM.

Yeah I've got it pretty rich right now and need to do some tweaking still but she runs so I'll ride

TiggerOG
05-28-2020, 10:24 PM
Finally got on the hwy and ran it out again... Top speed moved from 72 to 84 with the modest mods so far. Really enjoying this bike a lot. Unfortunately my GPS snapshot mode was turned off and I didn't notice so I can't post it like I intended but I'll get it again lol

JerryHawk250
05-29-2020, 07:30 AM
That's awesome. :tup: The GPS app should show max speed. Just take a screen shot and post.

TiggerOG
05-30-2020, 04:43 PM
New muffler came in. Gonna have to wait til tomorrow to tackle that after work. It's pretty though and I think will be a good addition lol.

TiggerOG
05-30-2020, 06:06 PM
On my way to my girlfriend's house topped out at 84 again.

TiggerOG
05-31-2020, 06:35 PM
So got the muffler on and.... Damn I love it. It looks great, in my opinion, and holy Jesus did it change the sound. (Video incoming) if anyone wants to know it was for a Kawasaki 400/250 newer model years. The mid pipe will work with just a bit of finesse and I think it adds to the value because now I should be able to use any 2" slip on without further modifications. Any ways gratuitous pictures.

Also I used a Walker 41946 pipe reducer slightly modified as well to make it all come together.

JerryHawk250
05-31-2020, 08:58 PM
Looks good. :tup:

TiggerOG
05-31-2020, 09:03 PM
Video up now. Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/31EaNz3hH_Q

JerryHawk250
06-01-2020, 07:58 AM
Does sound a lot meaner for sure. That sounds like mine with the muffler off. There are DB killer inserts that could help.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/51mm-Motorcycle-Exhaust-Pipe-DB-Killer-Silencer-Insert-Muffler-Noise-Eliminator/392812213721?hash=item5b756eb5d9:g:-DIAAOSwAQxey0aS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-51mm-Motorcycle-Exhaust-Can-Muffler-Insert-Baffle-DB-Killer-Silencer/233344719238?epid=598153441&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item36546dd986:g:gksAAOSwdqtdgYf3&enc=AQAEAAACcIQvEcHUrT7nmUC3yY5qbPyaBN1nJEDYW8Myyp sJPgXKF3BJAAYks2a%2Bk4Q1TtMfwG3LSFO6YBxe66lIOZDzrK qtmzXg9Q%2BOPjJ7sM7eczg4QI%2BLZImx1w5lQUWETpQib7CN NPdU0vNi0VDcAawKF9UFt3IzEisTpu4rJu4A7okvhBBApgUOav 17pmeeiPtEzSdqYom1ARG%2F9MdZZy1WDOrJ5zlUhMHSfdURKT KWmIIkBoBBFfj409imaqITgdQP3BZvmXVtHVw%2BnDV8vfy5RF IudZqQ2PbROtfxfEGZVskWc5ELIWDYTkSMmXSIQXWTVAg3733o XAij9wVzD5DP18jTXuBJC4styFRZ8yN52OuQ7CYJVX8MWUadM2 O7BcAhd7dlHm%2FTR1p9GQdl8dyb%2Fh97Lw9dFs4sDZTrEHKG esYmXvEiZdBX9qcoHWVA4RCFAQDE%2BVNdjpKxRGlmlZn30uID E3jDMGC8gteLOXCC9b7L6d%2BxM6BfTLNEZFBzB4saBiV%2Bhm ZqfrZ6NovcUCkgGm4CTm6wdjsOuZrY16MTzUvVJOdVrzr%2BgZ 3TEw4oMj3SP7yrTGgDdZAiCSYhy%2BadzjtgE0L25LBXfOckqX QKQgvK2GUuPY2zfuPqU5Rbdx7nh1UJ%2BpD38MjFyNyP1qdZ4r HU7KdMB5LaixHYwJgGCbdoFSfaKWZ0NOXFFpqnt1ytQ8TMKxbE iaTOrYCGFZTBp3gMXYUcg9H3AJzvodIyT1rvomijuwsXpYb3GY Kzp9rnF%2FifHF2MpDM6Z%2FzwbH7NRBobDaYW2Ke2YuY8Umpv hwYuEDqoNTAPBK3CWSB9sIdeSA%3D%3D&checksum=233344719238cfa6d8eadb5b42a491c8adcdf94af 435

TiggerOG
06-13-2020, 10:45 PM
So about to embark on some new mods soon. Got the thin head gasket and offset woodruff key for my flywheel... I have two head gaskets so might go ahead and do this before the piston and cam and see what's up. Patience may be a virtue but I get bored lol.

Chrisguga
06-14-2020, 07:09 AM
Wow, you’re coming right along with the mods.

Two questions.

How is that 18 tooth front sprocket working out? Any rubbing or issues with it? I’d like to try one.

Also, where did you buy the front sprocket? Can you share a link and specs on it?

Thanks a lot! I’m going to switch from the 17/36 to the 18/34 combo.

JerryHawk250
06-14-2020, 07:44 AM
The offset flywheel key is defiantly worth it.

TiggerOG
06-14-2020, 09:00 AM
Wow, you’re coming right along with the mods.

Two questions.

How is that 18 tooth front sprocket working out? Any rubbing or issues with it? I’d like to try one.

Also, where did you buy the front sprocket? Can you share a link and specs on it?

Thanks a lot! I’m going to switch from the 17/36 to the 18/34 combo.

The sprocket works fine had to barely clearance the cover to get it back on. Just a little work with the Dremel.

DSparts 18T Teeth 20mm 428 Chain... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KTWBCDF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I would keep the 36 rear if I were you. Soon as I can I'm going to go with that. 34 just is too tall really. The bike, as it sits, doesn't have the power to fully take advantage of the gearing.

Chrisguga
06-14-2020, 11:57 AM
The sprocket works fine had to barely clearance the cover to get it back on. Just a little work with the Dremel.

DSparts 18T Teeth 20mm 428 Chain... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KTWBCDF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I would keep the 36 rear if I were you. Soon as I can I'm going to go with that. 34 just is too tall really. The bike, as it sits, doesn't have the power to fully take advantage of the gearing.

Well, I already bought the big bore kit to go to 233cc, 11:1 compression, I’ll have the head ported, and install a cam. That’s my end game plan with the bike and it should then have enough power to take advantage of the gearing. Thanks for the link!

JerryHawk250
06-15-2020, 10:55 AM
Well, I already bought the big bore kit to go to 233cc, 11:1 compression, I’ll have the head ported, and install a cam. That’s my end game plan with the bike and it should then have enough power to take advantage of the gearing. Thanks for the link!

The 17/34 gear ratio is the same as the 18/36 gear ratio. Even with my mods i probably wouldn't go any taller.

TiggerOG
06-16-2020, 02:25 PM
So I couldn't get my 3 jaw puller to work on the flywheel and I ordered the correct motion pro puller just gotta wait on that. I did do ahead and install the thin head gasket easy enough but I'm afraid I wasn't real sure where all the timing marks were supposed to line up exactly and it appears I am about 1 tooth retarded now lol.

It's runs and had decent power I guess just doesn't like to be cold atm. Now I know where the timing is supposed to be after paying more attention and I'll fix it when I do the flywheel finally.

I assume had I not done the gasket it would be dragging real ass right now. My overall top end isn't what it should be.

So anyways just waiting on the puller and will update again after.

JerryHawk250
06-16-2020, 02:35 PM
With the piston at top dead center the lines on the cam sprocket will line up with the top of the head.

I had to put a ratchet strap around the puller to keep it from slipping off. My flywheel puller finally arrived about 6 pm the day i did mine. I had already road my bike a few times before it arrived. lol

TiggerOG
06-16-2020, 03:36 PM
Yeah I had it that way but the flywheel was in the wrong spot lol. I thought it lined up with one mark but it would seem that was the wrong one so I got it one tooth off. Just hoping for a quick delivery because I don't wanna tear it down again till I can do the keyway lol

JerryHawk250
06-16-2020, 04:03 PM
I know removing all the plastic is a pain but I've gotten real good at it. lol The valve cover can be removed without unbolting the engine. I think i had to remove the voltage regulator and coil but better than unbolting the engine.

yaking
07-01-2020, 12:38 AM
what is a big bore kit for the 125cc x22? also, could you send pictures of the airbox area so I know what to remove for the airbox delete?