PDA

View Full Version : Venom X22R 250 performance mods

JerryHawk250
05-08-2020, 09:59 PM
I got all my parts in and getting ready to start the disassembling of the bike in the morning. I was going to start tonight but got some bad weather coming through right now. I'll video and document the whole process including the porting of the head. Hopefully I won't have to remove the engine which will make it much quicker. Here's a few picture of the surgery table. Lol

Chrisguga
05-08-2020, 10:05 PM
Awesome Jerry! I can’t wait to see your processes and learn from them so I can do my own build in the future!

JerryHawk250
05-08-2020, 10:12 PM
I wanted to get started tonight but the sky fell out and wind is blowing . I wasn't getting stranded in my shed for the night. Lol. At least the weather is going to be nice and cool tomorrow. :D

Chrisguga
05-08-2020, 10:17 PM
Heck yeah. I like that paper shop manual too. That’s nice to have on hand.

My only purchase tonight was the matching set of Chase Harper saddle bags. I needed just a little more cargo capacity than just the other two bags.

JerryHawk250
05-08-2020, 10:20 PM
I printed the manual out today. Lol I'm ready for sure. :tup: be sure to post pics of the saddle bags.

Megadan
05-08-2020, 11:46 PM
You let a storm stop you? This was your perfect chance to do a Frankenstein film parody.

JerryHawk250
05-09-2020, 06:17 AM
You let a storm stop you? This was your perfect chance to do a Frankenstein film parody.
:lmao: It would of been perfect with the lightening popping everywhere. It got pretty rough out there for a while. The neighbors old shed got knocked down to a pile of tin. Save him the trouble of having the tear it down himself. Lol

culcune
05-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Jerryhawkenstein…(cue Beethoven music and lightning)

Biker_Andy
05-09-2020, 06:08 PM
Nice, new pistons and cam, are they thinner gaskets too? I understand cam's and potentially increase compression with thin gaskets but how does a different piston make gains? Is it just in the combustion geometry? I'm a noob when it comes to engines.

Megadan
05-09-2020, 06:21 PM
Nice, new pistons and cam, are they thinner gaskets too? I understand cam's and potentially increase compression with thin gaskets but how does a different piston make gains? Is it just in the combustion geometry? I'm a noob when it comes to engines.

High compression forged piston. 11:1 compression and a lighter and stronger piston.

wheelbender6
05-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Do you have a template for the porting or do you plan to just raise them a bit?

Biker_Andy
05-09-2020, 06:36 PM
Oh so the piston is longer to further increase compression and recessed to prevent hitting all while made of lighter material? The compression rating on a piston is what it would alter the compression too from stock? I always thought it was compression rating the piston will reliably survive.

wheelbender6
05-09-2020, 06:39 PM
If you had completed the hop up during a terrible storm, when it started, your engine could have sang:

"I was born in a cross-fire hurricane
And I howled at the morning driving rain
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas"

JerryHawk250
05-09-2020, 06:57 PM
Well I got her done. I did take pictures and video but won't be tonight. I have other things I need to take care of but will get then up as soon as I can. I couldn't remove the head and cylinder with the engine bolted to the frame. I unbolted the engine from the frame and let it sit on the bottom of the frame. I was able to tilt the engine to the side a little and removed the head and cylinder. I wasn't to bad. Better than unhooking all the wires and whatever else and removing the engine. The head was about like my hawk head. Exhaust side was restrictive and intake needed a good bit removed right where the intake bolted. Probably 27- 28 mm hole. I did some port matching on the intake side. Now it's a full 30mm. I used a full thickness stock head gasket so my compression ratio is about 10.5:1. I'll probably do a thin head gasket once the engine is broke in and rings are seated.
I got her all back together and she fired right up. Definitely has a thump to it now. I took it out for a short ride to break in the cam and seat the rings. No WOT runs but you can feel more power on the low end and a good bit more on the mid and upper rpm's.
I did have to go from a 110 main jet to a 120 and will probably have to go to a 125. I didn't get to install my AF gauge so once I install it I'll fine tune it. I'm happy with the results so far. I'm sure it will feel even better once broke in.:D

Chrisguga
05-09-2020, 08:04 PM
Wow. Finished it in a day. That’s awesome, Jerry!

You’re making me REALLY want to go ahead and pull the trigger on the rest of my mods.

China Rider 27
05-10-2020, 08:41 AM
Well I got her done. I did take pictures and video but won't be tonight..:D

Wow is right. That is quick. You must have got up at 3 am to start. You will always have employment skills as a motorcycle mechanic!

JerryHawk250
05-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Oh I got it done but paying for it today. Now I'm laid up in bed because my backs out.:ohno: I can't even get out and enjoy the work I've done.
Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow and take her to work.

Megadan
05-10-2020, 02:53 PM
Oh I got it done but paying for it today. Now I'm laid up in bed because my backs out.:ohno: I can't even get out and enjoy the work I've done.

As a member of the bad back club, I understand. That is usually how I end up, which is why my projects can take a long time.

China Rider 27
05-10-2020, 10:53 PM

Been there with that few a times, amazing the pain that can be generated and how that can lay you up. Lucky for me not frequent. I did spend the day yesterday up and down working on a Hellcat. In the middle of the night, I got a huge cramp in the back of my thigh.

JerryHawk250
05-11-2020, 08:25 AM
Back is much better this morning so i took the bike to work. So far i'm impressed with the extra umph! she got. :D I'll get the video up sometime before the end of the day. I got just over 2 hours of video i need to edit. It may end up being a long video because i don't want to cut too much detail out of it. I rather have everything covered and have the viewer skip through it rather than remove parts that some will want to watch.

MeatHammer
05-11-2020, 09:45 AM
Where did you get the hotcam from? I can’t find one or don’t know what to search for.

JerryHawk250
05-11-2020, 09:55 AM
Where did you get the hotcam from? I can’t find one or don’t know what to search for.
I found them on ebay. I got mine for $147. Search Hot Cams 1059-1. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Hot+cams+1059-1&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=1059-1

Megadan
05-11-2020, 03:09 PM
I bet that exhaust note perked up quite a bit too. I sure wish my flywheel puller would get here so I could install my Hawk's cam.

How did your jetting end up?

JerryHawk250
05-11-2020, 03:11 PM
Video uploaded. Hope it came out okay. Was kind of in a rush to get it out and it's been crazy here at work with all the jobs that were put on hold are starting up again. I was able to get ver 2 hours of video down to about 30 minutes.
Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E0Iya_4HRE&t=11s

JerryHawk250
05-11-2020, 03:12 PM
I bet that exhaust note perked up quite a bit too. I sure wish my flywheel puller would get here so I could install my Hawk's cam.

How did your jetting end up?

Yes it did. Nice pop when you hit the start button but doesn't seem to have put any extra load on the starter.
I have a 120 main in it right now. I didn't install the AFR gauge yet. I ran out of wire for my mig and was in too much pain Sunday to do anything. That will be next so i can fine tune.

Megadan
05-11-2020, 05:15 PM
Yes it did. Nice pop when you hit the start button but doesn't seem to have put any extra load on the starter.
I have a 120 main in it right now. I didn't install the AFR gauge yet. I ran out of wire for my mig and was in too much pain Sunday to do anything. That will be next so i can fine tune.

That lack of extra load is likely due to the dynamic compression not being much diffeeent thanks to the cam.

China Rider 27
05-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Great video! Love that cam sound, da dat da da dat.

Chrisguga
05-12-2020, 07:15 AM
Awesome video Jerry! Thanks a lot for taking the time to make it! I can’t wait to try these mods as well.

JerryHawk250
05-12-2020, 07:56 AM
Well on my way to work this morning i caught the last red light on the last stretch before the office. I couldn't resist. I dumped the clutch and revved her out through the gears. I hit 60 mph in third a whole lot quicker than she ever did before i had to turn off. :D I love it. I can't wait to get her out on the interstate and see how it does at highway speeds.

culcune
05-12-2020, 08:24 AM
I can't wait to get her out on the interstate and see how it does at highway speeds.

Please video. It is nice to see the bike in perspective following all your hard work :tup:

bogieboy
05-12-2020, 11:15 AM
nice.... sounds a lot like my cammed pocket bike did....LOL its really just a baby version of your x22... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0TU9qiSyII

JerryHawk250
05-12-2020, 11:23 AM
nice.... sounds a lot like my cammed pocket bike did....LOL its really just a baby version of your x22... LOL

Yes it does sound bad azz. :) I'm also thinking of installing a offset flywheel key to increase the timing. either a 2 or 4 degree.

MeatHammer
05-12-2020, 12:11 PM
I have read that the Hotcam is a drop in and requires no mods to the engine. What kind of performance gains could you expect by only swapping cams and not doing the port/polish and piston swap?

JerryHawk250
05-12-2020, 12:16 PM
I have read that the Hotcam is a drop in and requires no mods to the engine. What kind of performance gains could you expect by only swapping cams and not doing the port/polish and piston swap?

With out increasing the compression ratio and opening up the ports you will loose low end power. The higher compression makes up for that.

Chrisguga
05-12-2020, 11:30 PM
Any update on how that 18 tooth front sprocket is doing? Is it hitting the case at all? I wouldn’t mind buying one if it manages to clear the cover.

Megadan
05-13-2020, 03:55 AM

I wouldn't bother with a cam install without at least doing some work to the exhaust port. These heads, both CB and CG 2 valve engines, have pretty terrible exhaust ports. Putting a more aggressive cam without doing at least some port work would be like running a marathon race but only breathing through a straw while doing it.

Honestly, even if I weren't installing a cam, or raising compression on any engine these bikes run, I would still open up the exhaust port, as well as port match and smooth out the intake a little.

If you don't believe you are capable of doing your own head porting there is actually a shop in Missouri that will do pretty damn good port work for a pretty good price (Around $150-200). This is their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LFRPowersport/

You can see some of their porting examples. Corey Lansdown is who I talked to and he is a knowledgeable guy that does good work. Get in touch with them and see what they tell you.

As far as increasing the compression goes. Given the specs of the cam in question, I would want no less than a 9.5:1 static compression ratio to avoid losing low end power. Mid range and top end would perform just fine. It might not be quite the fire breather that Jerry is making, but it will have most of the benefits of the cam while also running cooler.

I am not 100% sure what the X22R CB engine has stock, but usually the OHC motors are around 9:1 compression. So, at the very least you could have the head decked 2 thousands (.002 inches, or .5mm) to bump it up to about where you would want it.

JerryHawk250
05-13-2020, 07:48 AM
Any update on how that 18 tooth front sprocket is doing? Is it hitting the case at all? I wouldn’t mind buying one if it manages to clear the cover.
Never installed an 18 tooth. Even though an 18 tooth might fit, it will pass too close to the case for me. If you get too much slack in the chain and it decides to jump tooth you can plan on buying a new case.

JerryHawk250
05-13-2020, 07:57 AM
I am not 100% sure what the X22R CB engine has stock, but usually the OHC motors are around 9:1 compression. So, at the very least you could have the head decked 2 thousands (.002 inches, or .5mm) to bump it up to about where you would want it.
The stock gaskets on the engines have a triple layer head gasket. Like the CRF230F guys you can separate the gasket and use one layer which will give you a .5 increase in compression ratio.

Chrisguga
05-13-2020, 12:14 PM
Never installed an 18 tooth. Even though an 18 tooth might fit, it will pass too close to the case for me. If you get too much slack in the chain and it decides to jump tooth you can plan on buying a new case.

Doh, wrong thread!

JerryHawk250
05-13-2020, 12:48 PM
Doh, wrong thread!

That's what i figured. lol

JerryHawk250
05-14-2020, 09:49 AM
Update. Bike has been parked in the shed since Tuesday night. When i got home Tuesday my my fan for my AC condenser unit decided to degenerate so had to take my truck Wednesday as it would of been a pain to carry a huge fan on the back of the bike so i took the truck. Not as much fun to ride as the bike. lol Turns out the supply house had the wrong fan so had to order a new one. Good thing i have a couple of window units for back up. Now it looks like we have rain for a few days. :ohno: I need to ride. I need my fix. Well last night i went in the shed just to crank up the bike. Man she sounds bad azz. :D Gave her a few quick revs and all of a sudden the head lights go out. :hmm: I just turned off the bike, closed the door and went back into the house. You know the saying bad things happen in threes? Well i wasn't going to touch the bike anymore cause i was afraid something else would go wrong. :ohno: Hopefully it's just a fuse or connection. I got a few days to of rain coming so i have plenty of time to figure it out.

So yeah, not so much of an update but it's all i got at the moment. :ohno:

JerryHawk250
05-14-2020, 10:56 AM
for anybody looking to port there head, I ran across this thread this morning. Very informational and with pictures. :tup: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1282750-crf230f-port-work-considerations/

China Rider 27
05-14-2020, 01:10 PM
for anybody looking to port there head, I ran across this thread this morning. Very informational and with pictures. :tup: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1282750-crf230f-port-work-considerations/

When you did your head did you take a lot of material off the roof of the port over the valve guide? Shortening the radius?

JerryHawk250
05-14-2020, 01:20 PM
When you did your head did you take a lot of material off the roof of the port over the valve guide? Shortening the radius?
Yes, I did pretty close to what that guy did in the link i posted. about the only thing i did different was i didn't do any work around the intake valve seat on the chamber side like that guy did. Also you have to be careful not to remove too much around the valve guides. It's pretty thin there. Look at the cross section the guy posted.
https://cdn.thumpertalk.com/uploads/monthly_2019_01/IMG_0005.thumb.JPG.3811495bc6dc406cf48250a70980987 d.JPG

Megadan
05-14-2020, 02:48 PM

He did the same trick I did with the port floor around the short side radius on the intake. I widened that up on the right side of the port along the outer edge of the curve. That was the only real port shaping I did besides the port match at the flange.

As far as the thinner material around the guide. Where it is the thinnest doesn't really need much material removed anyway. Most of the material removal is at the bowl and especially next to the guides just leaving the bowl along the roof of the port right next to the guide.

JerryHawk250
05-14-2020, 02:55 PM
He did the same trick I did with the port floor around the short side radius on the intake. I widened that up on the right side of the port along the outer edge of the curve. That was the only real port shaping I did besides the port match at the flange.

As far as the thinner material around the guide. Where it is the thinnest doesn't really need much material removed anyway. Most of the material removal is at the bowl and especially next to the guides just leaving the bowl along the roof of the port right next to the guide.
That's pretty much what i have done.

I wanted to make sure those who are new to porting to know this so they don't go crazy and punch a hole through. ;)

Megadan
05-14-2020, 02:59 PM
I don't mean to Hijack your thread Jerry, but I figure these two pictures of my exhaust port might illustrate what I am saying better.

This is the exhaust side unported.
https://i.ibb.co/p3czmP0/preport.jpg (https://ibb.co/191qSnv)
After porting.
https://i.ibb.co/XZXPPrH/port.jpg (https://ibb.co/d0BvvwZ)

JerryHawk250
05-14-2020, 03:03 PM
I don't mean to Hijack your thread Jerry, but I figure these two pictures of my exhaust port might illustrate what I am saying better.

I've been hijacked! :p :lmao: No problem Dan, That's what this forums for. Everybody has to start and learn from somewhere. The more information that gets out on here the more others will learn. :tup:

MeatHammer
05-14-2020, 03:38 PM
So you take out the hump in the exhaust port wall where the valve stem hole goes into the wall of the port or am I seeing that wrong? Sorry if my terminology is incorrect or that doesn’t make sense.

JerryHawk250
05-14-2020, 06:50 PM
I figured out the headlight issue. The connector to the rectifier unplugged. Something going my way for a change. :D

JerryHawk250
05-15-2020, 10:27 AM
So you take out the hump in the exhaust port wall where the valve stem hole goes into the wall of the port or am I seeing that wrong? Sorry if my terminology is incorrect or that doesn’t make sense.
You remove the material around the valve guide but not were the two valleys are on each side. That's where the head is thin. You can widen the port on each side.

MeatHammer
05-15-2020, 11:01 AM
You remove the material around the valve guide but not were the two valleys are on each side. That's where the head is thin. You can widen the port on each side.

I see what you mean. That picture of the cross section does a good job showing where to not remove material. I am nervous about doing my own head work but I am pretty confident I can do it. I checked with Venom and a new head is only $110 plus shipping so if I do screw up it’s not that bad lol.

JerryHawk250
05-15-2020, 11:09 AM
I see what you mean. That picture of the cross section does a good job showing where to not remove material. I am nervous about doing my own head work but I am pretty confident I can do it. I checked with Venom and a new head is only $110 plus shipping so if I do screw up it’s not that bad lol.
That's why i posted that picture to help understand what you have to deal with. Those are there areas you don't want to remove. Just clean them up a little. The exhaust side is the most restrictive and will need the most work. The intake side really only needs a little taken off around the valve guides and port matched where the intake attaches. These head are identical to the CRF230F. The intake port is real small. maybe 27-28mm. I forgot to take a measurement. I used the intake gasket to scribe the 30mm hole as it was in perfect alignment with the intake tube. It matched up perfect. I took a bunch of pictures but didn't notice i had a big smug on the lens so most of the pics came out blurred. Me and cameras just don't work well together. :doh:

China Rider 27
05-15-2020, 11:56 AM

In this quote he is working on an intake port and looks to me to be some aggressive porting as he is widening and cutting the port into an oval diameter? And has added an over size valve? So the CB engine requires more flow on the intake side?

Megadan
05-15-2020, 12:36 PM
In this quote he is working on an intake port and looks to me to be some aggressive porting as he is widening and cutting the port into an oval diameter? And has added an over size valve? So the CB engine requires more flow on the intake side?

Keep in mind that he is also trying to increase total flow through the head for a 32mm carb AND a larger intake valve in that thread. He wants to remove as much material as possible from the port roof, but can't.

His biggest complaint about the CRF port, and to some degree also true of both CG and CB clones, is the inability to raise the port floor with expoxy and then open up the port roof to match due to how thin the casting is at the valve seat, which would decrease the short side radius and increase port velocity. Since he has already removed as much material from the roof as he can he then widened the port floor at the radius going into the valve seat area to compensate.

All three motors suffer from a fairly sharp short side radius angle and port angle in general. The straighter the angle of attack of the intake is to the valve and shallower the short side radius, the better port velocity and flow is.
This has a lot to do with how "heavy" an air/fuel intake charge is. By widening the port where he did in conjunction with flattening out the short side radius it helps to reduce the chance of a low pressure spot right before the valve and thus maintaining or even increasing velocity.

All of that work combined with the valve back cutting he shows there is actually better for lower and moderate lift cam profiles than it is for high lift/high duration race cams. It's actually a well thought out approach to match a large carburetor bore to a fairly mild cam profile to get the best throttle response possible and a nice wide torque curve.

Don't take this to mean the exhaust port doesn't suck though, because it does lol. His post is mostly focused on maximizing the intake side with the upgrades in question given the limitations at hand.

China Rider 27
05-15-2020, 04:27 PM
Excellent explanation. Gets down to the issues of flow for sure.

JerryHawk250
05-18-2020, 08:46 AM
Okay, so my bikes been parked for about a week due to all the rain we've been having. I go into my shed this morning and noticed a nice little puddle of oil under the bike. I've been cranking it up just about every other day and never noticed it. After closer inspection i see it was coming from the cylinder base gasket. I installed a new gasket. I knew i should of put some kind of gasket seal on it. Will this streak of bad luck ever end? :ohno: I don't know when i'll have time to pull it apart now that i have a carport to deal with. So no problem, I'll take the Hawk t work. Dead battery. :grr: No problem. At least it will kick start. So i guess I'll have to show the Hawk some love for a while. lol

Chrisguga
05-18-2020, 11:42 AM
Darn Jerry, that sucks. Well, lesson learned on using some gasket material when I take mine apart.

Do you plan on using some hi temp RTV?

franque
05-18-2020, 12:34 PM
You don't want to use silicone, Honda or Yamabond is what you'd want. Silicone can clog up oil passages.

JerryHawk250
05-18-2020, 12:43 PM
I usually use the spray on Hi-temp Copper seal. I didn't have any at the time and the gasket had some type of sealant bead on both sides. I may have accidentally scraped some off when putting the cylinder back on. :shrug:

JerryHawk250
05-25-2020, 08:24 AM
It's Alive. :yay: Well after tearing down the rest of my carport Saturday morning i figured i'll remove the head and cylinder to get ready the install the new gasket. The gasket was damaged which explains the leak. So after waiting till about 6 pm for the mail man to deliver my gasket the mail man just flies by my house. :wtf: I ran up to him when he was stopped at the next mail box and asked if he had a package for me? His replay was no. :hmm: Looked at my phone and said out for delivery. He said it will probably come on a different truck. So about 7pm another truck comes down the road and stopped. Whoohoo! :yay: So i went back into the shed and started assembling. About 8:30 it starts raining. I wasn't quitting until i got her back running. About 9:00 i had the tank back on and and ready to fire her up. By this time it is pouring down raining. I turn the switch on and at the push of the button she fired up and at the same time lightening struck and BOOM!!! I swear i damn near crapped in my pants. :lmao: She was purring like a lion. Got to love the sound of the cam. :D

So yesterday i took her out for a long ride. I really like the extra power. You can really feel it at partial throttle. When i had it apart and looked at the cylinder walls you can see the freshly honed cylinder needs a few more miles on it to wear in properly before i go full throttle. A little more time before the to speed test.

So after lunch after getting back from my morning ride I decided to get rid of the bottle neck right before the muffler. Don't know why they tapered down a 1 3/4" pipe to about 1 1/4" pipe there. Took out the saws-all and wracked it off. I had the muffler i bought from Herbie and installed it. Now i have a 1 3/4" going to a 2" exhaust. All i can say is Wow! Now i have even more power. :D

I'll have to take pictures when i get home today of it installed.

Now we have rain forecast for the whole week so i guess it will be a while before i'll be able to take her out again.

Chrisguga
05-25-2020, 02:58 PM
Awesome Jerry! I hope eventually someone makes a full bolt on exhaust for this bike. It would be a much easier solution.

I also would love to find a rear aftermarket shock that would bolt in!

Anyway, great job on the mods! The increased compression of the thin gasket and opening up the exhaust should really wake the bike up even further!

JerryHawk250
05-25-2020, 03:01 PM
Awesome Jerry! I hope eventually someone makes a full bolt on exhaust for this bike. It would be a much easier solution.

I also would love to find a rear aftermarket shock that would bolt in!

Anyway, great job on the mods! The increased compression of the thin gasket and opening up the exhaust should really wake the bike up even further!
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that i installed the thin head gasket while i had her apart. :tup: That did make a little improvement too. All these little mods just keep adding up. :D

Megadan
05-25-2020, 03:51 PM
I am surprised to hear they necked down the exhaust like that. Well, maybe not surprised... These Chinese bikes always have weird shit like that on them.

No picture with the new muffler installed?

Also, and this is just me, but I think these bikes would look pretty cool with a Coffman's shorty installed down low. That's the same muffler I run on my VFR. This is a CBR250R with one mounted exactly like I am thinking it should be. https://i.ibb.co/wwdQQpd/cbr250coffmans.jpg (https://ibb.co/b26vvN6)

Good way to get rid of that restriction lol.

They make them to order for whatever diameter pipe you want. Yeah, they are a bit steep for a Chinabike budget, but nowhere near as bad as some name brand mufflers either. http://store.coffmansexhaust.com/catalog/product/b2a0ad936b244ff5a934df8fcb2ee7f3

They are also not as loud as you would think with the silencer and baffle in place. I removed the baffle on mine and just run the silencer on the end and it is still more than tolerable. It only gets really loud once you remove the silencer.

JerryHawk250
05-25-2020, 04:11 PM
That does look good but way more than i can afford to spend. lol I'll post pics when i get home. The new muffle is pretty quiet with the baffle in it. Without the baffle it's still quieter than my hawk. That's probably because there's no packing left in the Hawk. lol
I did crank it up with out the muffler. Holy Crap that sucker is loud. :wtf:

Megadan
05-25-2020, 05:43 PM
That does look good but way more than i can afford to spend. lol I'll post pics when i get home. The new muffle is pretty quiet with the baffle in it. Without the baffle it's still quieter than my hawk. That's probably because there's no packing left in the Hawk. lol
I did crank it up with out the muffler. Holy Crap that sucker is loud. :wtf:

I have a Muffpack kit and a reducer/spark arrestor on the way for my Hawk for the same reason. It went from loud but tolerable to just loud. Hoping to tame the beast a little bit. I know for a fact my packing is already pretty shot. I actually ordered the 19" kit so I have some left over for the Coffman on my VFR lol. It was only 2 bucks, so why not.

The muffpack kit has the stainless steel wool inner wrap, so it should last a lot longer than just loose fiberglass.

JerryHawk250
05-25-2020, 06:32 PM
As requested, here's pictures.

Megadan
05-25-2020, 07:19 PM
Wow, that neck down is worse than I thought. That's nasty on multiple levels.

JerryHawk250
05-25-2020, 07:58 PM
Wow, that neck down is worse than I thought. That's nasty on multiple levels.
Exactly, even with the baffle the new muffler breathes much better.

Megadan
05-25-2020, 08:00 PM
You should see if you can make the old muffler work on the Hawk. Give it some sporty styling lol.

JerryHawk250
05-26-2020, 07:58 AM
You should see if you can make the old muffler work on the Hawk. Give it some sporty styling lol.

Muffler actually sounds good, Just need to cut the bottle neck off and weld on a larger pipe. I do need to repack the Hawk muffler though. Either it's getting louder or i'm getting old. :lmao: Nah! just getting loud. ;)

JerryHawk250
05-26-2020, 08:03 AM
Here's a link to the reducer i used in case any of you other X22R owners are interested. I'll probably cut that spring mount off and slide the muffler farther to the front to shorten it up some. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-75-ID-45mm-to-2-OD-52-mm-exhaust-reducer-adapter-pipe-304-stainless-steel/264345624411?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

JerryHawk250
05-26-2020, 03:00 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed the little pile of rubber. I just realized it was in the picture. I had to test out the extra power. :D It took a while for the smoke to clear out the shed. I don't know why my rear tire is wearing out so quick. :hehe:

JerryHawk250
05-28-2020, 08:24 AM
We finally had a break in the weather so took the bike to work this morning. With all the nasty weather i really haven't had time to put any miles on the engine to break in the new rings. I think i have less than 150 miles on it if that much. Anyway i decided i would take the interstate. From a dead stop on the on ramp I nailed it and was hitting 75 mph before i hit the highway. Before i would maybe hit 65 mph at that same point. Man she pulls hard. :yay: I measured that distance out on Google Earth and is .30 of a mile. I took her up to about 80-81 mph then backed off after crossing an overpass. This is at .80 miles. Right when i reached the peak there was a State trooper was sitting right up the road on and had someone pulled over already. Those guy's have been busy all week writing tickets. I guess that have to make up for all those weeks with no one on the road to give tickets too. :hehe: I'm so happy i did the cam and piston. :D

Megadan
05-28-2020, 11:49 AM
Pulls nothing like a CG engine for sure. Must be nice to hit 7000rpm and it is just starting to pull lol.

I would love to hear what that little motor sounds like, especially with the exhaust properly opened up all the way now.

JerryHawk250
05-28-2020, 01:10 PM
Pulls nothing like a CG engine for sure. Must be nice to hit 7000rpm and it is just starting to pull lol.

I would love to hear what that little motor sounds like, especially with the exhaust properly opened up all the way now.
The two engines are definitely different animals. I find the CG is a much better engine for off road. Much more torque on the low end where as the CB is a much better engine for a street bike being able to pull those higher rpm's. 9,000 to 9,500 rpm's come up quick with no valves floating.

I do intend on some video. I had all intentions on shooting video this morning on my way to work but got sidetracked and forgot all about it until i was halfway to work. Rain will be back tomorrow but will clear up for the weekend. I have to paint the new hood for my wife's car and install it Saturday so maybe a Sunday shoot.

TiggerOG
05-28-2020, 02:20 PM
Inspired me to do a muffler swap. I like the look of what i ordered to be here this weekend but it also will open up the choke down to a 2 inch slip-on. I hope it looks good with the blue paint 😁. That being said I haven't upped the compression at all yet so hopefully it is an upgrade and not going to force my hand to make a move on the wiseco that you did or the Athena big bore kit. I'm leaning towards the big bore kit though 🤏

JerryHawk250
05-28-2020, 02:30 PM
Inspired me to do a muffler swap. I like the look of what i ordered to be here this weekend but it also will open up the choke down to a 2 inch slip-on. I hope it looks good with the blue paint ��. That being said I haven't upped the compression at all yet so hopefully it is an upgrade and not going to force my hand to make a move on the wiseco that you did or the Athena big bore kit. I'm leaning towards the big bore kit though ��
That's going to look good. :tup: You could just pull the head and use one layer of the stock head gasket. That's good for for a .5 in CR bump.

JerryHawk250
06-01-2020, 08:42 AM
Yesterday afternoon i did my weekly pre-ride check up and maintenance for my weekly commute. The usual stuff like lubing and checking the chain, checking bolts and so on. I decided to pull the plug and noticed i was running pretty lean. I went ahead and replace the 120 main with a 125. I can defiantly tell the difference on WOT this morning. It feels like shes running perfect but I'll check it again when i get home and see how the plug looks. Only problem i see is it looks like rain for the rest of the week. :ohno:

Megadan
06-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Yesterday afternoon i did my weekly pre-ride check up and maintenance for my weekly commute. The usual stuff like lubing and checking the chain, checking bolts and so on. I decided to pull the plug and noticed i was running pretty lean. I went ahead and replace the 120 main with a 125. I can defiantly tell the difference on WOT this morning. It feels like shes running perfect but I'll check it again when i get home and see how the plug looks. Only problem i see is it looks like rain for the rest of the week. :ohno:

Sounds like the process I went through after my cam install. the 140 was defintiely lean, went to a 145, felt ok for the most part but still wouldn't pull strong. The 150 I have in now feels really good, plug shows I can still put more jet in it lol.

I think we are out of the woods here with rain for at least a week. About dang time too. This is one of the wettest springs I can ever remember.

JerryHawk250
06-01-2020, 12:29 PM
I got a feeling that the 125 will probably be to small as well. I'll just keep bumping it up until i get it right. I have my A/F gauge ready to hook up and wire for the mig to weld in a bung. Just have to find the time to install it.

We have to keep a eye on the gulf for the next few days. Looks like we got some tropical weather heading our way.

JerryHawk250
06-02-2020, 08:04 AM
Well this is a first for me on the X22R. On my way home from work yesterday i came to an intersection. From a rolling start i nailed it and pulled the front wheel off the ground. :wtf: I'm like "no way"! First light i get to i tried it again and what do you know. I did it again. :yay: I'm getting more impressed with the new mods everyday. I took a chance today and took the bike to work. I got my rain suit packed just in case. lol
I didn't get to check the plug when i got home because i got side tracked by the wife. I had to fix a flat tire. So, i'll check it today when i get home to see if i can up the main jet some more.

JerryHawk250
06-02-2020, 01:57 PM
Well i did it, I just ordered a 4* offset flywheel key. :D I'll have to get my carb dialed in pretty good before i install it though. On to the next stage of performance gain. :yay:

Biker_Andy
06-02-2020, 04:42 PM
How much lighter are you thinking of going with? Do you plan on keeping the clutch stock?

JerryHawk250
06-02-2020, 04:48 PM
How much lighter are you thinking of going with? Do you plan on keeping the clutch stock?

I'm not going with a lighter flywheel if that's what you mean and plan on keeping the stock clutch. The clutch on this bike is way better than on my Hawk. The clutch pull is much harder than the hawk. I haven't pulled the clutch cover off yet but it probably has either more springs or stronger springs.
The offset key will advance the timing 4 degrees. The timing on these bikes are retarded for crappy fuel.

Megadan
06-05-2020, 10:46 PM
I'm not going with a lighter flywheel if that's what you mean and plan on keeping the stock clutch. The clutch on this bike is way better than on my Hawk. The clutch pull is much harder than the hawk. I haven't pulled the clutch cover off yet but it probably has either more springs or stronger springs.
The offset key will advance the timing 4 degrees. The timing on these bikes are retarded for crappy fuel.

The Hawk has 7 discs and 6 springs. That actually makes for quite a lot of clamping power without needing to resort to a high spring rates. It might just be an issue of leverage. The hawk has a long arm at the case which gives better leverage but more throw travel.

bogieboy
06-06-2020, 07:43 AM

on the clutch pull issue, i found my clutch on my Roketa to be very stiff, but i had put in heavy duty springs, my clutch is silky smooth now that i converted to a hydraulic clutch... you may want to look into that... :tup:

i got a set of these (https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-125CC-600CC-Universal-7-8-Motorcycle-Hydraulic-Brake-Clutch-Lever-Master/293581916841?hash=item445ad88aa9:g:W7kAAOSwEmNev-DW)(but in blue) one of these (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Motorcycle-performance-Hydraulic-Clutch-Master-Slave-Cylinder-Rod-System/173720880950?hash=item2872924736:g:8iUAAOSwz2lXClX d) (again, Blue) and one of these (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Brake-Clutch-Braided-Oil-Hose-Line-Pipe-Tube-Hydraulic-1500mm-Blue/293400976605?hash=item44500f9cdd:g:doUAAOSwh~peCne u)( oh look... blue...LOL bet that was a shocker... )

JerryHawk250
06-08-2020, 08:00 AM
Well i had to cancel the original offset key order. As of Friday it was not shipped. I contacted the seller and was told it would be two weeks before he could ship. >: So i found another supplier and will have it by this Friday. I know what i'll be doing on Saturday morning. :yay:

I'm sure i could of made my own key. Once i have this one in hand i'll probably make one for the Hawk. ;)

As far as the clutch on my bike, it's not stiff or hard to pull. But you can tell it has a stronger clutch grip than the Hawk. As Megadan stated the clutch arm on the Hawk is much longer than on the X22R. I'll have to look for a shorter arm for the Hawk. Clutch play on the X22R is not as critical as it is on the Hawk. I never had any issues with finding neutral on the X22R.

Megadan
06-08-2020, 11:09 AM
I am definitely curious about the offset crank key. After playing with a few CDI boxes, I would like to experiment with combining one of them with more base advance

JerryHawk250
06-08-2020, 11:28 AM
I am definitely curious about the offset crank key. After playing with a few CDI boxes, I would like to experiment with combining one of them with more base advance

I just hope it doesn't make it hard to start with the 11:1 CR. And on the Hawk i might be a little gun shy on kick starting. lol

Megadan
06-08-2020, 02:01 PM
I just hope it doesn't make it hard to start with the 11:1 CR. And on the Hawk i might be a little gun shy on kick starting. lol

Nah, 4 degrees of advance across the entire curve shouldn't make it hard to start at all.

TiggerOG
06-08-2020, 04:47 PM
Ordered the offset key, thin head gasket and a cdi box as well. Gotta save up for my piston now. I figure I'll just do it all at once and discover a whole new bike lmao. I can't decide on the cam to get still so maybe once I nail that down I'll do it all. I dunno yet.

JerryHawk250
06-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Ordered the offset key, thin head gasket and a cdi box as well. Gotta save up for my piston now. I figure I'll just do it all at once and discover a whole new bike lmao. I can't decide on the cam to get still so maybe once I nail that down I'll do it all. I dunno yet.

Cam selection is going to depend on how much power you want out of it or how reliable you want it. I choose the reliability end of it. lol Now if i wanted to see what's the most HP i can get out of it i would use a different cam than i choose.

Megadan
06-09-2020, 01:47 AM
Cam selection is going to depend on how much power you want out of it or how reliable you want it. I choose the reliability end of it. lol Now if i wanted to see what's the most HP i can get out of it i would use a different cam than i choose.

Also good to keep in mind that the more aggressive that cam grind gets, the more other work may be involved. Much like the CG motors, at a certain amount of lift and duration the valves will start to hit one another so the valve seats will need recessing, the piston to valve clearance may require fly cutting the piston crown more, and valve springs will start to become a concern.

JoeMod
06-10-2020, 03:54 PM
Question; where can we get replacement parts for the x22r? Looking to get some to have just in case. Like brake pads, rotors and calipers? Also oil drain plug. I cant find anything. Venom motorsports doesn't have anything in stock. Just trying to get some stuff in the event it fails. TY.

JerryHawk250
06-10-2020, 04:02 PM
Question; where can we get replacement parts for the x22r? Looking to get some to have just in case. Like brake pads, rotors and calipers? Also oil drain plug. I cant find anything. Venom motorsports doesn't have anything in stock. Just trying to get some stuff in the event it fails. TY. I haven't tried to cross refrence the brake pads but look to be a common pad for the Chinese bikes that can be found on ebay and amazon. I know the rear pads look like the same ones i have on my Hawk. EBC caries every brake pad made. Start on page 300 and match up measurements. That's what i did. Then search that part number on ebay or amazon. https://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalogues/US-Issue-302-Catalog-Jan-2020/US-Issue-302-Full-Catalog.html

Rear Brake pads are EBC - FA086
Front Brake Pads are EBC - FA095.

Venom can get you the Rotors and calibers from DongFang. The question would be if DongFang has them in stock? This site carries parts but looks to be out of stock as well. https://www.vaderparts.com/collections/dongfang-motorcycle-parts-crt-parts-honda-cbr250-replica-parts?page=1

JerryHawk250
06-12-2020, 02:43 PM
I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. :D

Chris_Top_Her
06-13-2020, 01:30 AM
I know what I'll be doing tomorrow. :D

what in the potato?

bogieboy
06-13-2020, 07:26 AM
what in the potato?

4 degree offset cam key :hehe:

Megadan
06-13-2020, 01:38 PM
4 degree offset cam key :hehe:

crank key :p

Jerry, since I am too lazy to take my left crankcase cover off again and remove the flywheel to measure the key specs, do you think that key would also work with the CG engine? If so, what is the source and/or specs for it?

JerryHawk250
06-13-2020, 02:26 PM
I bought the key from Joe Henner on the RBX group Facebook page. I never removed the flywheel on my Hawk so don't know if they are the same. I assume they will be. The stock woodruff key us 4mm wide. It has a .70mm offset. I got it installed and what a difference in power and throttle response. I did shoot some video and will post later on tonight. I'll try to get some ride video tomorrow. O also installed the O2 sensor and A/F ratio gauge. It was running a tad rich but not enough for me to swap out. She's running too good. Lol Here's a few pictures.

JerryHawk250
06-13-2020, 08:44 PM
As I promised, Here's the video.
https://youtu.be/eiUDq7bJbYQ

Chrisguga
06-14-2020, 07:21 AM
The bike is looking great, Jerry, and thanks for the video! That tubing along the plastics where they meet the gas tank is smart. I need to look into something like that.

JerryHawk250
06-14-2020, 07:51 AM
The bike is looking great, Jerry, and thanks for the video! That tubing along the plastics where they meet the gas tank is smart. I need to look into something like that.
I made use of all that hose I removed from the SAI delete. :tup:

JerryHawk250
06-17-2020, 08:19 AM
I did a little experiment when i got home yesterday. I found that the idle with PE30 carb on the X22R would start to hunt once warmed up and would some time die at idle. So i decided that i would try swapping carbs with the Hawk's PWK30. Well that turned out perfect. Now the bike idles so much smoother and runs just a tad better at WOT. So next i installed the PE30 on the Hawk. She fired right up and idled perfect and WOT ran just as good as the PWK30 did. I think we have a win win situations here. :tup: Even after running them both hard and getting them good and hot, both bikes run perfect now. Jetting was right on for both. Now all i have left to do is hook the remote choke lever up on the X22R, Not that it needs it right now. I'm sure my Hawk enjoyed the experiment as she got taken out of the shed after sitting in there for a few weeks. :lmao:

Joe Schutts
08-24-2020, 03:10 AM
Hi Jerry,

I've been watching your videos on the Venom bikes for a while now and I have a couple of questions for you.

1. I saw that you replaced the mirrors on the bike. Do you have the link for the mirrors that you bought??? I've looked and looked but I cannot find the identical mirrors anywhere...

2. I also saw the you replaced the headlights with rectangular LED backup lights... Again, do you have the link for where you bought them???

3. You also mentioned that you changed the LED's in the large headlights... Again, do you have a part number OR a link for where you bought them???

I'm planning on buying a bike shortly and want to have all the parts "On Hand" for when I get it so I can start doing the same MODS as you have.

P.S. I am a PC Tech and saw that you've been having problems with your Memory Cards. I can give you some advice when using them. If your are using a Memory Card in a camera then format the card "In The Camera" and not in a PC... You'll have less problems that way...

Take care and keep up the good work... I can't wait for your next video...

Joe...

JerryHawk250
08-24-2020, 07:43 AM
Hi Jerry,

I've been watching your videos on the Venom bikes for a while now and I have a couple of questions for you.

1. I saw that you replaced the mirrors on the bike. Do you have the link for the mirrors that you bought??? I've looked and looked but I cannot find the identical mirrors anywhere...

2. I also saw the you replaced the headlights with rectangular LED backup lights... Again, do you have the link for where you bought them???

3. You also mentioned that you changed the LED's in the large headlights... Again, do you have a part number OR a link for where you bought them???

I'm planning on buying a bike shortly and want to have all the parts "On Hand" for when I get it so I can start doing the same MODS as you have.

P.S. I am a PC Tech and saw that you've been having problems with your Memory Cards. I can give you some advice when using them. If your are using a Memory Card in a camera then format the card "In The Camera" and not in a PC... You'll have less problems that way...

Take care and keep up the good work... I can't wait for your next video...

Joe...

Mirrors https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C0SQYUO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Daytime running lights. These required a little trimming of the housing to fit. Looks like the are out of the white at the moment. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074RFY776/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Head lights. These also required a little trimming of the housing. Other H4 bulbs may fit without trimming. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJGT3LT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the memory card, it turned out to be a bad card and just replaced it. No more issues.

Joe Schutts
08-24-2020, 07:22 PM
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the fast reply. I've already gone to the sites you mentioned and have marked them for my future purchases. Thanks again.

Hey, while I have you here... I saw a video (on Youtube) showing someone who printed out a (I believe) Honda Manual that matches the engine in the Venom bike. Supposedly it shows all the torque measurements as well as how to take apart the engine and put it back together again as well as replacement part numbers.

Was that you??? The reason I'm asking is that I cannot find that video and was thinking about printing out the manual but I don't know where to find it. Do you (by any chance) know what the link to the manual is???

Anyway, thanks for the fast reply... Happy riding and safe roads...

Take care...

Joe...

JerryHawk250
08-24-2020, 07:32 PM
Hey Joe,
That was I. I have the link bookmarked on my work computer. I'll post a link tomorrow.

Joe Schutts
08-24-2020, 10:54 PM
Hi Jerry,

Wow, that's great... I wasn't sure if it was you or not and now I can't find the video. You don't know how much of a help you've been to me. I'm really grateful for all your help...

Thanks again...

Joe...

P.S. Do you happen to have any videos on mods to the braking system, such as installing/changing to new brake pads or installing stainless brake lines???

JerryHawk250
08-25-2020, 07:20 AM
As promised here's a link to the manual. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxu4xf2i3v1ln0g/CRF230F_ServiceManual_2003-2013.pdf?dl%3D0&sa=D&ust=1598357786939000&usg=AOvVaw3VeRVEvkqMcB6hk7I4PbpG

As far as the brakes on this bike there is no need to mod them. The dual front brakes have 4 pistons each. No problem stopping the bike. I have the brake pads listed in one of my threads.

Joe Schutts
08-27-2020, 02:02 AM
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the site info for the manual. I just downloaded it. But I have another question.

In the manual, it looks like it is discussing the engine for the Hawk 250. My question is, is the same identical engine that is in the Venom X22R???

I just want to be sure what's going on and which is which...

It's kind of funny as I originally had a list of about 5 bikes that I was deciding on between buying.

They were the Hawk 250, the Lifan 200CC bike, the Brozz 250, the Venom X22R, and lastly the Hyosung 250CC. I liked the Hawk for the low price but not the style of the bike as I wanted more of a street bike rather than a dirt bike. The Lifan I liked because it used a counter-balanced engine but then I struck it off my list because it was under powered as I wanted at least a 250CC engine, I liked the Brozz because it was fairly inexpensive but again I didn't like the dirt bike style. The Hyosung 250CC I definitely liked (and still do), but it was out of my price range. In all honesty if I could afford it, this is the bike I would buy.

The Venom X22R is the bike I finally went with. I liked the fact that it had dual front disk brakes (and disk brakes all around) as well as dual headlights (which again, I like). I just kind of wish it had a counter balanced engine. If it had that option then I would jump on this bike in a heart bite.

The only thing that this bike is missing (that I desperately need) is a luggage rack. I'll probably have to design one for myself out of steel and have someone make and weld it for me although I honestly have no idea where to go for this.

Anyway, again thanks for the manual. Thank God I have a Laser Printer so that makes it much easier to print anything out. Now I just have to take the time and print it out... Let the fun begin...

Take care Jerry and clear skies and safe riding...

And watch out for all those idiots out here, it seems like this Covid BS has brought them all out of the woodwork...

Bye for now...

Joe...
:thanks:

JerryHawk250
08-27-2020, 07:55 AM
The Hawk is a CG clone which is a push rod engine whereas the X22R is a CB clone which is an over head cam engine. The engine is almost identical to the CRF230F and SL230 engine. I' not saying that all parts are interchangeable but do know that the piston, cylinder and head are identical and are a direct swap. The CB engine is a much better platform for performance mods and is a higher revving engine where as the CG engine is a better engine for off road trail riding. It has more low end grunt. With the mods i've done my bike easily hit 80 mph. The weather hasn't been cooperating so i never had a chance to to a top speed run. The Hawk on the other hand can only hit 75 mph consistently. I have hit 80 once but was a little squirrely at those speeds. The X22R will handle 70+ mph very comfortably. Even at 80 she still handles well. Even the stock engine with the right sprockets, gutted cat and tuned stock carb will do 75 mph. Even though the engine is a non-counter balanced engine it still runs pretty smooth. With the right sprockets to bring down the RPMs at higher speeds make a huge difference. I was looking at the Hyosung GT250 very hard. That's actually a good bike.

Joe Schutts
08-31-2020, 03:24 PM
Hi Jerry,

I agree that the Hyosung GT250 is a good looking bike but again, it's WAY outta my price range. I'm now (officially) retired and have started to pinch my pennies. That's the main reason I'm buying a bike again. I can't afford a new car nor do I want a used POS that someone else ran into the ground and I end up paying for his/her's repairs.

Right now, all I can afford is somewhere around $2500 - $2800 and no more. I also wanted something with dual headlights and dual front disk brakes and at least a 5 speed tranny and some other things as well. After looking and looking again I found the Venom X22R and I settled on that one. I still haven't bought it as of yet as I'm waiting on the next $1200 stimulus check that HOPEFULLY will come out whenever they return from their vacation.

So what's on your plate for your next video. I can't wait to see whatever you've got cooking up in that brain of yours... I just found this other guy on Youtube (don't know his name at the moment) but apparently he's some kind of PC Tech who works with electronics (concerning PC's). He's also rebuilding a $30,000 - $40,000 Flight Simulator (right now anyway) and also just bought a Hawk 250 (not sure of the model though). Apparently he's a big follower of yours and has been doing his Mod's based on your fabulous work with them...

All you need now is your "Teaching Certificate" and you would be all set... Maybe you should consider that for your next life...

Anyway, take care of yourself and try not to work too hard...

I'll see you...

Joe...

P.S. Whenever I get around to buying my Venom I'm going to need some type of luggage rack made for the rear. Any ideas on where I can get one made for it??? It would have to be made out of metal and somewhat similar to the one for the Hawk 250 (maybe a little bigger though)... Thoughts???

Thanks again...

JerryHawk250
09-02-2020, 09:09 AM
There are still some new 2016 and 2017 models Hyosung's out there for around $2500. https://www.cycletrader.com/Hyosung/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Hyosung%7C15229381&model=GT%7C764976979%2CGD%7C764976977

My next project will probably be the 2020 Venom Ghost 250. All of the engine mods i've done on the X22R will work on the Ghost as well. I may try a different cam and carb.

As far as saddle bags you need to check out some of Chrisguga's threads. He found some nice bags for his X22R.

franque
09-02-2020, 09:52 AM
You should get a lopey cam for it so that it'll idle a bit rough and sound like a Harley.

JerryHawk250
09-02-2020, 09:52 AM
You should get a lopey cam for it so that it'll idle a bit rough and sound like a Harley.
LOL, That was my thinking as well.

JerryHawk250
09-02-2020, 11:36 AM
This is the cam and rockers i'm looking at right now. I'm trying to get specs. from the seller.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9fcAAOSwz-Be7dNH/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xFIAAOSwkJ1e7dMy/s-l1600.jpg

Joe Schutts
09-02-2020, 05:48 PM
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the reply.

When I asked about luggage racks I was talking about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Luggage-Bracket-Yamaha-Off-road-2002-2014/dp/B07RDHK3Q6/ref=sr_1_12?c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Powersports+Luggage+Racks&qid=1599081987&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A404852011&s=automotive&sr=1-12&ts_id=404675011

Also, I looked at the Cycle Trader site and while they have a fairly good selection of bikes, 90% of them are used with a VERY limited warranty, plus the fact that there aren't any bikes in my state (PA).

Plus the fact that I'd probably have to either take a bus to the bike and then drive it back or have it shipped to me at a great expense. This is something I cannot do, logistically OR financally.

Anyway, again, if you come up with any thoughts I'd be grateful to hear them...

Looking forward to your next videos...

Take care...

Joe...

Joe Schutts
09-03-2020, 10:46 PM
Hi Jerry,

Hey, I just thought of something.

Is there ANY CHANCE that the luggage rack from a Hawk will fit unto a Venom X22R???

The rear looks similar and I was just wondering if you know/think it'll fit???

Anyway, just a thought...

Take care...

Joe...

JerryHawk250
09-04-2020, 07:22 AM
Hi Jerry,

Hey, I just thought of something.

Is there ANY CHANCE that the luggage rack from a Hawk will fit unto a Venom X22R???

The rear looks similar and I was just wondering if you know/think it'll fit???

Anyway, just a thought...

Take care...

Joe...
The rear of the X22R is not really set up for a rack. Nothing like the Hawk.

Joe Schutts
09-10-2020, 11:32 PM
Hi Jerry,

I'm curious about something.

When you cleaned out the exhaust port (tube) to open it up, did you use a metal grinding wheel or just a sanding drum?

The reason I'm asking is that I only have access to a power drill and want to make sure I get the right thing to do the job correctly to get the best results I can.

Thanks...

Take care...

Joe...

JerryHawk250
09-11-2020, 07:49 AM
For the best results Pick up a Rotary Tool like this for around $20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYRFH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A set of burs like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5LEZ7H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and flap sanding drums. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5Y3QBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not really necessary but i also used some buffing wheels to polish out the exhaust port. Leave the intake unpolished. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PVWJXX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can use a drill but will be a slow process.

Joe Schutts
09-12-2020, 01:01 AM
Hi Jerry,

I'm kind of guessing here, but I think this also would work instead of the rotary tool you suggested...

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_18086.jpg

Granted while it is more expensive than your suggestion, it's more like what I'm used to working with. I'm an EX Jeweler (by trade) and this is what I used on jewelry I used to work on. I like them as they're easier to hold while you use your foot to determine the speed of the unit... I also use one of these on my plastic models I build and modify. Great little tool and extremely handy...

It's funny (for the flap sanders)... I used to make my own. I just took a dremmel shaft and cut a groove down the center of the shaft about 1 to 1 1/2 inches deep and just inserted a strip of emery paper or sanding paper down the groove and wound it around the shaft. It worked great and was cheap. All you had to do was, when the sand paper got gummed up or worn out, was to tear off the worn part and you had a new sanding drum...

As far as burrs, I still have a number of burrs left over from both my Uncle (a former tool and die maker). I inherited all his old machine tools and dies when he died. I also have quite a number of burrs I used for my jewelry work (although I'd prefer not to use them for this job). The only thing I used them on was either silver or gold work I did.

I'll tell you, I can't wait to finally order this bike. Right now all I'm waiting on is for these idiots to finally pass the second stimulus bill and then I'll have enough money to finally order it. The one thing that pisses me off is that I'll now have to wait until November till these bastards come back from their vacation and hopefully pass something that'll work. So if that's the case, I'll then have to wait until next year (spring at least) till I order the bike... At least now I can start ordering the parts I need so when I finally order the bike I can start on the upgrades.

I can't thank you enough for all your help in this endeavor. You've been a huge help...

Thanks again...

Take care and safe riding...

Joe...

At least now I know what to buy to upgrade it to something that resembles yours. About the only thing it'll be messing is the new piston and cam that you have.

JerryHawk250
09-12-2020, 07:59 AM
I think that a great setup. That should work perfect.

Joe Schutts
11-23-2020, 01:52 PM
Hi Jerry,

I’ve got another 3 quick questions for you.

1. Does the Venom X22R have a hole to support a Front Triple Tree stand and if so what size pins does it take? Is it 20Mm, 21mm, 23mm, 24mm, or 27mm???

2. Are there any places on the Venom X22R to attach Motorcycle Swing-arm Spools to, or would I have to Tap and Thread the screw holes in myself???

3. Besides the Air-Box (and in total), how many air filters would you recommend getting and/or installing on the Venom X22R and where would they go???

Thanks for your help…

Joe...

JerryHawk250
11-23-2020, 02:14 PM
Hi Jerry,

I’ve got another 3 quick questions for you.

1. Does the Venom X22R have a hole to support a Front Triple Tree stand and if so what size pins does it take? Is it 20Mm, 21mm, 23mm, 24mm, or 27mm???

2. Are there any places on the Venom X22R to attach Motorcycle Swing-arm Spools to, or would I have to Tap and Thread the screw holes in myself???

3. Besides the Air-Box (and in total), how many air filters would you recommend getting and/or installing on the Venom X22R and where would they go???

Thanks for your help…

Joe...
There are no holes for spools on front or rear. I bought a swingarm stand for Harbor Freight and for the front i ordered fork adapters from ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paddock-Stand-Bobbins-Frame-Fork-Adaptors-Hooks-Motorcycle-Bikers-Rear-Lift/173309301184?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I removed my Air box and use a pod filter.

franque
03-02-2021, 12:11 PM
Hi Jerry, I'm not sure what more, if any that you're still trying to increase the performance of this, but I've run across two cheap mods that you could try!

1st: I got some roller rockers that I put in my NX, they're great. They're heavier than the stock rocker arms, but I would think that the decrease in friction on the cam probably offsets that, if kept within reasonable RPMs. It felt like I got a reasonable increase in power, so it's possible that it has a higher ratio, I didn't measure or anything.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32809030462.html?

2nd: One that I haven't tried, and you'll need to verify that your cam gear has the same number of teeth (they changed it with the XR200 once, and I'm thinking that maybe the CRF230 uses a different number of teeth, so count before buying), a vernier cam gear for changing the cam timing! I think it is probably discontinued, but the part number is: Parts Unlimited 032334

Here's a link to one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/1726270224

Let me know what you think! If you do either mod, make sure that you rotate the engine slowly through two full revolutions to make sure that you don't have any interference between the valves and piston.

JerryHawk250
03-02-2021, 12:43 PM
Hi Jerry, I'm not sure what more, if any that you're still trying to increase the performance of this, but I've run across two cheap mods that you could try!

1st: I got some roller rockers that I put in my NX, they're great. They're heavier than the stock rocker arms, but I would think that the decrease in friction on the cam probably offsets that, if kept within reasonable RPMs. It felt like I got a reasonable increase in power, so it's possible that it has a higher ratio, I didn't measure or anything.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32809030462.html?

2nd: One that I haven't tried, and you'll need to verify that your cam gear has the same number of teeth (they changed it with the XR200 once, and I'm thinking that maybe the CRF230 uses a different number of teeth, so count before buying), a vernier cam gear for changing the cam timing! I think it is probably discontinued, but the part number is: Parts Unlimited 032334

Here's a link to one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/1726270224

Let me know what you think! If you do either mod, make sure that you rotate the engine slowly through two full revolutions to make sure that you don't have any interference between the valves and piston.
I'm looking to buy this cam and roller rocker combo for my Ghost. https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGRADE-Camshaft-Cam-Shaft-Silent-Rocker-Arm-Kit-For-Honda-SL230-XR230-CRF230F/174322968917

As far as advancing the timing the 4* timing key works great.

franque
03-02-2021, 03:20 PM
That's ignition advance, not camshaft, those are two different things.

JerryHawk250
03-02-2021, 03:29 PM
That's ignition advance, not camshaft, those are two different things.
Very true. :tup: and I knew that. My brain stop functioning. :hehe: With the piston, cam and timing key i have installed, if my valves aren't set just right I'll get a little sneeze trough the carb when cold. Once it warms up just a little I have no problems. I want to try the cam i linked and just port and deck the head for more compression just to see the difference in performance between the Ghost and X22R.

Joe Schutts
03-28-2021, 02:55 PM
Hi Jerry,

I was talking to another rider who has a Venom Ghost and I told him about this site. My question is WHERE is there a place for this bike? Is it listed under STREET or EVERYTHING ELSE or DUAL SPORT or where. It seems to me there ought to be one specific place for this bike (or a specific category for it)...

The reason I'm asking is that I wasn't sure WHERE to direct this other person to go to to look for the answers he was looking for.

Anyway, thanks...

Joe...

JerryHawk250
03-28-2021, 07:31 PM
Hi Jerry,

I was talking to another rider who has a Venom Ghost and I told him about this site. My question is WHERE is there a place for this bike? Is it listed under STREET or EVERYTHING ELSE or DUAL SPORT or where. It seems to me there ought to be one specific place for this bike (or a specific category for it)...

The reason I'm asking is that I wasn't sure WHERE to direct this other person to go to to look for the answers he was looking for.

Anyway, thanks...

Joe...

Under the street section.

Joe Schutts
03-31-2021, 11:03 AM
Hi Jerry,

Well I finally made the plunge yesterday and bought the Venom X22R. Now I just have to sit on my hands waiting for it to come in.

Right now I am in the process of ordering parts for the bike, but I have a quick question for you.

There are TWO oil coolers that are on AMAZON and I am not sure which one will work so I thought I'd ask you which one to order...

The 1st one is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKXDD3W/?coliid=I3496MFOK2SWB8&colid=W2X6FVSTJLEM&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And the 2nd one is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKHT4QH/?coliid=IWPJEHCEM2JAY&colid=W2X6FVSTJLEM&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I just want to make sure I get the one that'll work on this bike and not waste any money on something that won't work.

Just tell me if it's the 1st or the 2nd on, so I know...

Thanks again for all your help in this and everything else you have done for me...

Take care and have fun riding...

Joe...

JerryHawk250
03-31-2021, 11:22 AM
Hi Jerry,

Well I finally made the plunge yesterday and bought the Venom X22R. Now I just have to sit on my hands waiting for it to come in.

Right now I am in the process of ordering parts for the bike, but I have a quick question for you.

There are TWO oil coolers that are on AMAZON and I am not sure which one will work so I thought I'd ask you which one to order...

The 1st one is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZKXDD3W/?coliid=I3496MFOK2SWB8&colid=W2X6FVSTJLEM&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And the 2nd one is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKHT4QH/?coliid=IWPJEHCEM2JAY&colid=W2X6FVSTJLEM&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I just want to make sure I get the one that'll work on this bike and not waste any money on something that won't work.

Just tell me if it's the 1st or the 2nd on, so I know...

Thanks again for all your help in this and everything else you have done for me...

Take care and have fun riding...

Joe...

They are both the same cooler. Just different venders.

Joe Schutts
03-31-2021, 06:17 PM
Hi Jerry,

You know I wasn't too sure, so I thought I'd ask you just to be sure...

Thanks again...

Ride safe...

Joe...

Joe Schutts
04-02-2021, 11:11 AM
Hi Jerry,

I saw your response about the carbs (on the Venom X22R) and was wondering about something?

Ok, so IF I order a carb for the Venom X22R, which carb (the PE30 OR the PWK30) should I get???

Also, what is the front AND the rear sprockets that you're running on the Venom AND can you provide a link???

Thanks...

Take care of yourself...

Joe...

JerryHawk250
04-05-2021, 09:22 AM
Hi Jerry,

I saw your response about the carbs (on the Venom X22R) and was wondering about something?

Ok, so IF I order a carb for the Venom X22R, which carb (the PE30 OR the PWK30) should I get???

Also, what is the front AND the rear sprockets that you're running on the Venom AND can you provide a link???

Thanks...

Take care of yourself...

Joe...

The right carb will depend on what mods you plan on doing. If you're not planning on porting the head then a PE30 Or PWK30 will not be the best match and will be hard to tune. Tuning the stock carb will be the best thing to do or go with a PE28. Bigger is not always better.

Joe Schutts
04-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Hi Jerry,

These are the mod’s that I'm planning on doing to my Venom X22R, when it comes in. I am not mechanically inclined so I am limiting the mod’s I do to something I think I can handle (hopefully) without too many problems.

1. Replace the mirrors with the same ones you have.

2. I plan to gut the cat out of the exhaust pipe and also remove (or grind out) any obstructions in the pipe.

3. Install the same headlamps and running lamps you have.

4. Install accessory running lights (spotlights) somewhere on the front forks (for better night time riding).

5. Install an air horn (or at least something louder – AND safer).

6. Install a higher tooth front sprocket (for a higher top end at lower RPM’s ).

7. Install a higher tooth rear sprocket (for a higher top end at lower RPM’s).

8. Install new front turn signal lights and running (brighter lights).

9. Install an air pod on the carb intake and possibly get rid of the air box (maybe).

10. Install an oil cooler system (like yours).

Now here is where I start running into your needed suggestions. I do not plan on doing ANY engine mod’s (other than a NEW carb replacement - if needed). I feel this is something beyond my knowledge and expertise.

I'm unsure of which carb to get, seeing that I’m not doing any significant engine mod’s (unlike you) or even if I need to get a new one. Like you, I am building a bike for the long haul and NOT for top speed. I plan on riding mostly on the back roads 70-90% of the time with the remainder being highway time…

Right now ANY suggestions (or even recommendations) concerning the carb (OR anything else) would be appreciated.

Thanks Jerry for your help…

Joe...

JerryHawk250
04-08-2021, 11:05 AM
Hi Jerry, These are the mod’s that I'm planning on doing to my Venom X22R, when it comes in. I am not mechanically inclined so I am limiting the mod’s I do to something I think I can handle (hopefully) without too many problems.1. Replace the mirrors with the same ones you have.2. I plan to gut the cat out of the exhaust pipe and also remove (or grind out) any obstructions in the pipe.3. Install the same headlamps and running lamps you have.4. Install accessory running lights (spotlights) somewhere on the front forks (for better night time riding).
5. Install an air horn (or at least something louder – AND safer).6. Install a higher tooth front sprocket (for a higher top end at lower RPM’s ).7. Install a higher tooth rear sprocket (for a higher top end at lower RPM’s).8. Install new front turn signal lights and running (brighter lights).10. Install an oil cooler system (like yours).Now here is where I start running into your needed suggestions. I do not plan on doing ANY engine mod’s (other than a NEW carb replacement - if needed). I feel this is something beyond my knowledge and expertise. I'm unsure of which carb to get, seeing that I’m not doing any significant engine mod’s (unlike you) or even if I need to get a new one. Like you, I am building a bike for the long haul and NOT for top speed. I plan on riding mostly on the back roads 70-90% of the time with the remainder being highway time…Right now ANY suggestions (or even recommendations) concerning the carb (OR anything else) would be appreciated. Thanks Jerry for your help…Joe...

First off the X22R comes with a 17 tooth front which would be the maximum size sprocket i would go with due to sprocket cover clearance. 2nd, you will need to go with less teeth on the rear being a 36 tooth. 3rd, as mentioned before, if you are not doing any engine mods like porting or increasing compression ratio then stick with the stock carb as it is an upgrade to a standard PZ30 carb as it is a pumper carb. You just need to swap out the main jet to a 103 or 105. That is what i am running on my stock Venom Ghost right now and is perfect.

PastorCzo
04-08-2021, 01:16 PM
Jerry, where did you buy the jets and sprocket for the ghost?

JerryHawk250
04-08-2021, 01:23 PM
Jerry, where did you buy the jets and sprocket for the ghost?

From Amazon.
Sprocket https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068O60QA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jets https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BVZVQZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Joe Schutts
05-15-2021, 03:01 PM
Hi Jerry,

I'm currently waiting for my bike to be shipped to me (since the 25th) and was wondering what is the best way to remove the decals on the tank (without damaging it)???

Any suggestions on how to do this???

Thanks and stay safe...

Joe...

Jeshmont
05-15-2021, 11:44 PM
I would imagine goo-gone will make that job easier. I dont think any of the decals are clearcoated on the bike.

JerryHawk250
05-16-2021, 08:26 AM
All the warning labels can be removed easily but all the graphic decals are clear coated.

fsmfe39
05-16-2021, 11:17 AM
New guy here. Might be ordering an x22r Monday.

Enjoyed reading the thread and if this is in the wrong place to ask I apologize in advance.

If porting the heads, removing two layers of head gasket, grinding out welds in exhaust pipe, removing cat and enlargening the connection pipe to exhaust I’m curious if they following would be correct:

Oil cooler
110 jets in factory carb OR different carb altogether?
Ngk spark plug you list in your signature

Anything else?

Is the advance key only useful with cam change ?

JerryHawk250
05-17-2021, 07:42 AM
New guy here. Might be ordering an x22r Monday.

Enjoyed reading the thread and if this is in the wrong place to ask I apologize in advance.

If porting the heads, removing two layers of head gasket, grinding out welds in exhaust pipe, removing cat and enlargening the connection pipe to exhaust I’m curious if they following would be correct:

Oil cooler
110 jets in factory carb OR different carb altogether?
Ngk spark plug you list in your signature

Anything else?

Is the advance key only useful with cam change ?
The oil cooler isn't really necessary but does greatly increase the oil life which in turn increases engine life by reducing oil break down. 105 main on the stock carb will be just about perfect. The 4 degree advance timing key will make a nice improvement across the entire rpm range.

fsmfe39
05-17-2021, 09:43 AM
The oil cooler isn't really necessary but does greatly increase the oil life which in turn increases engine life by reducing oil break down. 105 main on the stock carb will be just about perfect. The 4 degree advance timing key will make a nice improvement across the entire rpm range.

Thanks Jerry! Those seam like easy and cheap mods to do after engine break-in.

Urnotwill-iam
05-17-2021, 06:55 PM
As promised here's a link to the manual. https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxu4xf2i3v1ln0g/CRF230F_ServiceManual_2003-2013.pdf?dl%3D0&sa=D&ust=1598357786939000&usg=AOvVaw3VeRVEvkqMcB6hk7I4PbpG

As far as the brakes on this bike there is no need to mod them. The dual front brakes have 4 pistons each. No problem stopping the bike. I have the brake pads listed in one of my threads.

Hey Jerry, I saw you posted this manual. But the clutch/drive train is different from the x22r. (6speed instead of a 5)

My question is; might you know where I can get a clutch pack for the x22r? Venom/Belmonte said they couldn't get it. and redfox is no longer in business. I'm all kinds of lost with no end in sight. The only option I'm finding is replace the entire engine from alibaba for roughly 600$ (350$+ shipping) thanks in advance

JerryHawk250
05-18-2021, 08:15 AM
Hey Jerry, I saw you posted this manual. But the clutch/drive train is different from the x22r. (6speed instead of a 5)

My question is; might you know where I can get a clutch pack for the x22r? Venom/Belmonte said they couldn't get it. and redfox is no longer in business. I'm all kinds of lost with no end in sight. The only option I'm finding is replace the entire engine from alibaba for roughly 600$ (350$+ shipping) thanks in advance

I never pulled the cover to see what clutch pack is on the X22R. It will be easy to find once you pulled it out to see what configuration you have. You can can find the here or on ebay. https://www.vmcchineseparts.com/collections/mini-bike-dirt-bike-motorcycle-clutches

Jenna
05-23-2021, 07:45 PM
Newbee question. Can the X22 250cc Automatic scooter Carburetor be replaced with a fuel-injected one? is that an expensive fix?

franque
05-23-2021, 08:35 PM
Not unless you have a lot of electronics and mechanical experience. DIY fuel injection isn't easy; even many well-experienced mechanics lack the technical expertise and know-how to do something like that. If you don't want to shift for yourself and want EFI in a small displacement, you have to get a scooter from Honda or Piaggio.

To wit, not put too fine a point on it, but if you have to ask, you probably are incapable of doing it yourself.

My suggestion would be to learn to ride a manually shifted bike, and learn about carburetors if you want something cheap (and it has to be a motorcycle), or else pay up for an EFI bike/scooter, or really pay up for an EFI bike with a DCT.

JerryHawk250
05-24-2021, 07:57 AM
Newbee question. Can the X22 250cc Automatic scooter Carburetor be replaced with a fuel-injected one? is that an expensive fix?

Yes it can but as franque stated it can get expensive. Why do you want to change it?

R9
08-28-2021, 05:29 PM
Just pulled the trigger on an NGK spark plug, Full LED headlights and side lights, and a slip on exhaust BEFORE MY BIKE EVEN IS HERE

Nick Nitro
03-28-2022, 07:02 PM
Hi Jerry,

First off, big fan of your YouTube channel. Extremely informative and actually learned a few things to help me with my CB750 project. Also, was the final push to order my own X22R after watching a handful of your videos and ChaseOnTwoWheels review video.

Back to business...

I'm awaiting delivery of my X22R and had a few ideas I hope you can give some insight on. The following is what I would like to do:

Athena CRF230F 233cc Big Bore Kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192898315821?fits=Model%3ACRF230F&epid=239059982&hash=item2ce9a2b62d:g:u2EAAOSwQydcwd-n

CRF150R Stage 1 Hotcam
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363115622302?epid=171203807&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item548b60af9e:g:uGYAAOxyQj9RUfv2&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA4BaJP0ztF%2BqRe0%2FqaD2G90A8u dwMQvujaCgdbIieLytKr2F8vmP9eKwVYJ3ttAjmB%2F%2FEXPc 85ECvl3BKTgHQ5%2BgUfrq%2BC2Yp99HNTE6fVaHu55R3Oe2i1 JbXZOvghclHp4cFbV6HQr%2FiDo%2Bs%2FYkH5N9S9c5UXifZ8 WFeAJh0eNxDU5PdWCghtNC5%2BYzOqHYWClaFKhWatozutlGnK tPQLqEx9rAmGbF3JRm6R6rqNTW0Qj%2FgSUf7KZ3%2F2LBjnLh h0p0ole6adnI3RkNDyQPOUV8ybkiifHCTueWDXvDdcD73%7Ctk p%3ABFBM-ui8qPpf

PWK30 Carb
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224213576712?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item34342bac08:g:iHQAAOSwxvNfmrVe&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA4GRuxRSE7epeRYTAKKSxBi3BfnK44 jvkifC8saKkhlsNZGYb6LfHuFirb%2Bfi06AxlxMUXDW9faMWq bUC5JtCH1dEc8u9dYEjOA4iWAQk8Sfeo6ol28wo%2BDeEOE6Or flKOnqOxyxD26SDgj73GLfYw97GZ0dEWPeHiuvAH1J5SocV8XH KYelmaeapyNPkfx0nIlMold8amD24LVCSEhu3KGSUB%2F7I51H %2FJLeQkeo8soj5lPaXPJVeuWfSgjBIs2%2BoIsPDnW1g7vvf9 KSauq3EkwMcFEazfXcJW2I%2F4EGNKMKA%7Ctkp%3ABFBM-M_jqfpf

eBay Special "Yoshimura" Slip-On (310mm Model A)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/403418697606?hash=item5deda0cf86:g:d5MAAOSw7rZh5i8 z

Angled Pod Filter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224670652512?hash=item344f6a1860:g:jLYAAOSw~G9hf5J F

So, my question... in your professional opinion, do you think these will all work together? What other supporting mods might I need? Would you use anything different than what I've listed to get the best overall performance?

Just to help, I'll mostly be commuting with the occasional trip to the NY Safety Track and an annual trip with my best friend to a track I always forget the name of in Michigan.

Thanks for any help Jerry!

- Nick Nitro a.k.a. MULL3TJESUS

JerryHawk250
03-29-2022, 07:41 AM
Thanks for watching my videos. But the newer engine on the X22R was redesign and is already has a larger bore. You can go with a slightly more aggressive cam like this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/174322962671?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 For the carb a PE28FL would be a better match and will bolt right up without any adapters. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KXTVTGR/?coliid=IN3EH52FR3JAO&colid=2TIDKN14UQSQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
The PWK30 is a little hard to tune for idle.
This adapter works perfect with the existing header pipe. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264345624411

Nick Nitro
03-29-2022, 01:23 PM
Thanks for watching my videos. But the newer engine on the X22R was redesign and is already has a larger bore. You can go with a slightly more aggressive cam like this one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/174322962671?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 For the carb a PE28FL would be a better match and will bolt right up without any adapters. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KXTVTGR/?coliid=IN3EH52FR3JAO&colid=2TIDKN14UQSQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
This adapter works perfect with the existing header pipe. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264345624411

Thanks for the info!!

Just to clarify then, the big bore kit would essentially be useless with updated engine?

JerryHawk250
03-29-2022, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info!!

Just to clarify then, the big bore kit would essentially be useless with updated engine?

That is correct.

Nick Nitro
03-29-2022, 01:50 PM
That is correct.

Thanks again Jerry!!

Looking forward to your next video!

JerryHawk250
03-29-2022, 01:53 PM
Thanks again Jerry!!

Looking forward to your next video!
Me too lol. I can't seem to find the time to make more videos. I need to install a camera mount on my new helmet and just got my replacement battery for the camera. The weather has finally warmed up here so i need to get busy.

Nick Nitro
03-29-2022, 08:30 PM
Me too lol. I can't seem to find the time to make more videos. I need to install a camera mount on my new helmet and just got my replacement battery for the camera. The weather has finally warmed up here so i need to get busy.

Still waiting for it to warm up here in Northern NY

https://myalbum.com/album/xu2GVxoVkE9eCo/

In other news, just got word my X22R is being delivered on April 8th!

Nick Nitro
04-21-2022, 07:40 PM

So I have the carb you recommended installed. Currently at a 115 main and 40 slow. Lowest idle RPM I can get is about 4,000 RPM and giving any throttle kills it. What jetting would you recommend? I have a lot of jets available but i was thinking a 120 and 38? Any help is greatly appreciated.

JerryHawk250
04-21-2022, 10:58 PM
So I have the carb you recommended installed. Currently at a 115 main and 40 slow. Lowest idle RPM I can get is about 4,000 RPM and giving any throttle kills it. What jetting would you recommend? I have a lot of jets available but i was thinking a 120 and 38? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Check that you have the slide installed the right way and is closed all the way.

Nick Nitro
04-22-2022, 09:26 PM
Check that you have the slide installed the right way and is closed all the way.

We checked that. All good. At a 130 Main and 32 Slow now with the pod filter on. Best RPM with idle screw and air/fuel mixture screw adjusted with choke turned off is about 4,000 RPM now.

S. O. S. haha

EDIT: Ended sticking with those jets. Best tuning we could get unfortunately. Idle is roughly 3,500 to 4,000 between cold and operating temp. Snappy but smooth, just seems dangerously high for long periods of time.

JerryHawk250
04-23-2022, 07:36 AM
It sounds like the slide is not completely shut. Is your cable too short not allowing it to close?

Nick Nitro
04-23-2022, 09:17 AM
It sounds like the slide is not completely shut. Is your cable too short not allowing it to close?

That’s what I’m starting to think honestly. Gonna start digging into it again here shortly. Gotta get some more coffee in me.

Nick Nitro
04-23-2022, 10:15 AM

Well, I adjusted the throttle cable.

20-80% throttle is good but not great so the needle clip in position 1 out of 5 seems to still be okay but may need to change.

80-Full throttle is great so the 130 Main seems to still be a good Main to stick with. I do have a 100, 105, 108, 110, 115, 120, 125, 135, and 140 if I need to make any changes but I hope I don’t have to.

Idle-20% throttle cuts out and dies or starts to die so I’m thinking the 32 Pilot is too small. Next sizes up I have are 35, 38, 40, 42, 45, 48, 50, 52, and 55.

I’m beginning to get to the point after a week of messing with it now that I’ll just go back to the stock carb and deal with the struggle of doing only 55mph as my max speed and absolutely terrible acceleration uphill. The jetting and tuning is just driving me nuts, I’ve never had issues like this with a carburetor before whether it was stock or upgraded.

Nick Nitro
04-23-2022, 12:05 PM
Went through and tried every single possible combination with the jets I have, the 5 needle clip positions, 1/8 turn adjustments on the idle, and 1/8 turn adjustments on the air/fuel screw. No matter what I do it’s either too lean, too rich, or has a 4,000 to 6,000 RPM idle.

I’m going to have to go back to the stock carb and live with it until I can get my hands on a different carburetor, this Nibbi PE28FL isn’t going to work.

Nick Nitro
04-23-2022, 04:25 PM
I apologize for so many updates to this thread.

Came back to it because it was driving me nuts. Ended up going with the clip in the number 2 spot on the needle, a 130 Main, a 32 Pilot, and a lot of tuning. Still bogged until I put the stock exhaust back on. Running smooth now, power comes on quick, revs higher, but my idle is a little high at around 4,000 RPM on cold start then drops to about 2,500 RPM after it’s warmed up.

Probably will have an actual shop fine tune it while I’m on vacation in Arizona in a couple weeks but I can live with it for now. Definitely will need to invest in the oil cooler as well.

JerryHawk250
04-23-2022, 04:45 PM
Everything you are discribing are signs of a slide not fully seated at idle. Please confirm that the slide is closed completely at idle. Make sure the slide is not turned 180° . If not the slide will not close completely. You don't know how many on here that have done that. Make sure the cable is fully inserted at the top of the carb. Adjust the cable so I here is some slight slack. The big knob on the side is for idle speed only. It doesn't have anything to do with full mixture. Turn it counterclockwise to lower idle. Until you have it idling at around 1500 rpms you are waisting your time trying to tune your idle mixture. The idle mixture screw will be the smaller screw just to the left of the idle speed screw. This adjust the amount of air and no fuel. The more turns out the leaner it will be.

Nick Nitro
04-24-2022, 05:39 PM
Everything you are discribing are signs of a slide not fully seated at idle. Please confirm that the slide is closed completely at idle. Make sure the slide is not turned 180° . If not the slide will not close completely. You don't know how many on here that have done that. Make sure the cable is fully inserted at the top of the carb. Adjust the cable so I here is some slight slack. The big knob on the side is for idle speed only. It doesn't have anything to do with full mixture. Turn it counterclockwise to lower idle. Until you have it idling at around 1500 rpms you are waisting your time trying to tune your idle mixture. The idle mixture screw will be the smaller screw just to the left of the idle speed screw. This adjust the amount of air and no fuel. The more turns out the leaner it will be.

That might explain why in the 150 miles I put on it today that near the end of the day it wouldn’t stay running at all unless I kept on the throttle. It got very lean out of nowhere. I’ll dig into after work tomorrow. The slide will only go into the carb one way so it’s definitely not facing the wrong direction.

Nick Nitro
04-26-2022, 06:13 PM

Well... slide was just a hair off from fully closed. Fixed that. Then swapped from the 32 Pilot to the 40, much better but RPM's were all over the place. Carb boot is torn...

Any idea where to get a couple replacements?

JerryHawk250
04-26-2022, 08:32 PM
Well... slide was just a hair off from fully closed. Fixed that. Then swapped from the 32 Pilot to the 40, much better but RPM's were all over the place. Carb boot is torn...

Any idea where to get a couple replacements?
Well that would explain a lot. No wonder it was reving up. I think Venom has the solid aluminum intakes to replace the rubber intake. They had issues with them splitting.

Nick Nitro
04-26-2022, 08:53 PM
Well that would explain a lot. No wonder it was reving up. I think Venom has the solid aluminum intakes to replace the rubber intake. They had issues with them splitting.

I found an aluminum one on Amazon that will be here Friday so I'll be able to finish it then. I also have a 32T sprocket on the way and utilized the measurements in your YouTube video.

Next will be some Dunlop Q3 Plus tires, stock tires don't have enough grip or lean angle for me.

JerryHawk250
04-27-2022, 07:53 AM
I found an aluminum one on Amazon that will be here Friday so I'll be able to finish it then. I also have a 32T sprocket on the way and utilized the measurements in your YouTube video.

Next will be some Dunlop Q3 Plus tires, stock tires don't have enough grip or lean angle for me.
That 32T sprocket will be too small. I originally installed a 34T and the chain was hitting the hub. The 36T had just enough clearance.

Falkon45
04-27-2022, 10:13 AM

Why Q3s? How hard are you planning on pushing this bike? Will you be doing track days?.

Nick Nitro
04-27-2022, 07:07 PM
Why Q3s? How hard are you planning on pushing this bike? Will you be doing track days?.

100%, I'm taking it to Grattan in Michigan in August. I should have it built to its absolute limits by then hopefully.

Just want to see what it can do before I swap either a Husqvarna 701, CR500, or GPX FSE450R engine into it over winter. Also planning to gusset the frame, upgrade the suspension, swap to actual Ninja plastics (better quality), and many, many other things.

Nick Nitro
04-27-2022, 07:09 PM
That 32T sprocket will be too small. I originally installed a 34T and the chain was hitting the hub. The 36T had just enough clearance.

That was a typo on my end, it's a 36T sprocket. :doh:

Falkon45
04-27-2022, 09:54 PM
100%, I'm taking it to Grattan in Michigan in August. I should have it built to its absolute limits by then hopefully.

Just want to see what it can do before I swap either a Husqvarna 701, CR500, or GPX FSE450R engine into it over winter. Also planning to gusset the frame, upgrade the suspension, swap to actual Ninja plastics (better quality), and many, many other things.

Awesome!! I was planning on going there this summer, as I'm trying to hit all new tracks for myself this year! Even wanted to take my kmp200 out a few times, but it's just too slow for me to feel comfortable.

I hope to see it around out there before it goes to the wayside!

Nick Nitro
05-02-2022, 07:20 PM

Well I finally got the new boot installed, came to life but was too rich still. Switched to a 38 Slow with the 125 Main, backed out the idle speed screw. Perfect!!

Got some new foot pegs installed today too. Next is the fender eliminator with new sequential signals front and rear and my stealth mirrors.

Joe Schutts
05-17-2022, 10:48 AM
Hi Jerry,

By any chance do you happen to have a link for a air filter replacement that will attach to a stock X22R carb???

Also I just got in a new EGR (at least I think that's what it's called) Universal Block Off Plate but I am unsure about which tubes to disconnect and which ones to leave attached. Do you (by any chance) happen to have (or know of) a Youtube video that shows which tube to disconnect and which ones to leave attached???

Thanks for your help...

Take care and ride safe...

Joe...

JerryHawk250
05-17-2022, 10:59 AM
[FONT=Verdana]
By any chance do you happen to have a link for a air filter replacement that will attach to a stock X22R carb???

Also I just got in a new EGR (at least I think that's what it's called) Universal Block Off Plate but I am unsure about which tubes to disconnect and which ones to leave attached. Do you (by any chance) happen to have (or know of) a Youtube video that shows which tube to disconnect and which ones to leave attached???

Thanks for your help...

Joe...

I don't have a link to the air filter as I removed the stock air box and installed a pod filter.
Remove all the hoses and plug the brass nipple on the intake manifold.

Joe Schutts
05-18-2022, 08:06 AM
Hi Jerry,

I should have asked for a Pod Filter suggestion instead of an air filter replacement. Sorry about that. Do you happen to have a link for a recommended Pod filter that will fit unto a STOCK carb???

It's finally gotten warm enough to start riding again. Thank God... Now to just get the mods done...

Joe...

JerryHawk250
05-18-2022, 08:13 AM
Hi Jerry,

I should have asked for a Pod Filter suggestion instead of an air filter replacement. Sorry about that. Do you happen to have a link for a recommended Pod filter that will fit unto a STOCK carb???

It's finally gotten warm enough to start riding again. Thank God... Now to just get the mods done...

Joe...

Any 42mm 2 stage foam pod filter will work. https://www.amazon.com/LIYYDS-Universal-Double-Performance-Cleaner/dp/B09LYD35NN/ref=sr_1_51?crid=2OZDC6W5VU4ZI&keywords=42mm+filter&qid=1652875909&s=automotive&sprefix=42mm+filter%2Cautomotive%2C97&sr=1-51

Joe Schutts
05-18-2022, 03:35 PM
Thanks...

See ya...

Joe Schutts
05-18-2022, 03:53 PM
Hi Jerry,

You said that you removed the Air box???

Doesn't the air box (at least the upper part) make up the base (or the floor) for where the tool pouch sits???

I don't want to remove the air box and then find out that my tool pouch fell out of the compartment because there was no flooring.

JerryHawk250
05-18-2022, 03:57 PM
The tool compartment is separate from the Air Box.