PDA

View Full Version : Registered in N.Y.

ddesens
04-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Went to Dmv yesterday. She started to have a problem with the MSO saying that the Vins arent listed wih albany. Then said she didnt know what plate to give me saying there was 4. She got on the phone and called tech support but got put on hold. It was the end of the day and she said I dont like being on hold so I'll register this with a regular motorcycle plate. (thank god) So $197 later I was walking out all legal!

DirtRoadKing
04-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Good deal...Some times it just comes down to timing.

SpeedSouth
04-12-2008, 09:23 AM
Very nice.

I was hoping to get lucky w/ my timing as well. I arrived at the end of the day (because I didn't get my paperwork in the mail until late) expecting to walk out with my tag, but the lady I was forced to deal with wasn't very helpful at all.

It started w/ her questioning the weight of my bike. She was astounded that a street bike could be 300lbs. She must have asked me 10 times if it was a scooter or a motorcycle. Then, after consulting with another lady in the office, she acted like she was going to start the process, but then stopped and told me I had to go elsewhere to pay the taxes, and then I could return to get the tag....so she gave me a horrible copy of a hand-drawn map and didn't even bother to show me where on the map I was expected to go...and then had no idea what hours they would be open. (doesn't this information belong on the map?)

I am in Georgia, so it doesn't relate to your state, but I thought I'd share here and remind others that it isn't always a one step process. I thought I was aware of what was needed, but nothing I read informed me that I'd need to pay the taxes at a different location. :?

I will try again on Monday.

Congrats on your success! :)

culcune
04-12-2008, 12:31 PM
I guess NY have caught on with these bikes. They seemed to be just as bad as Cali a couple of years ago; NJ, too, but haven't seen a NJ rider post here for a while.

buterbn
05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Well I'll let you know how it goes for me when I get my bike and try and register it in NJ. I noticed Hi-Bird was on their list of Approved MC Manufacturers that meet requirements, on their site. So, I assume it should be no problem, at all........ :D

culcune
05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Good to hear. A few years ago, a guy had to jump through hoops for registration in NJ, and I think it had to do with the approved list of manufacturers. If Hi-Bird is on the list, you shouldn't have too many problems--but expect them.

IronFist
05-07-2008, 01:19 PM
:D
For me plate day is bigger than new bike day, even with my honda. I wasn't the only one with a fresh plate at my local bike shop to pick up my bike that day. All three of us were looking at each other with smiles on our faces, tryen to look cool and failing. :D

BoloDon
05-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi guys, I am new the site. I was able to register my komoto 250 in the state of nj with out a problem.

culcune
05-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi guys, I am new the site. I was able to register my komoto 250 in the state of nj with out a problem.

Congrats, but why does it say you're from Brooklyn, with a NJ plate? I thought only your governor could get away with indescretions?!?! :lol:

TeamCheap
05-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm glad we bought ours when we did and pretty much had no problems getting ours registered and plated and we just got new plates because michigan made it mandatory to get rid of the old blue plates.

So SpeedSouth you have to go to anther location to pay the taxes on it "WTH", that is just strange.

Here in michigan they know all to well how to take our money from us and are all to willing to do it at the SOS (Secratary Of State) office.

GY_Racing
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Went to Dmv yesterday. She started to have a problem with the MSO saying that the Vins arent listed wih albany. Then said she didnt know what plate to give me saying there was 4. She got on the phone and called tech support but got put on hold. It was the end of the day and she said I dont like being on hold so I'll register this with a regular motorcycle plate. (thank god) So $197 later I was walking out all legal!

You got LUCKY they did the same with me - the luck part. $200 bucks for bike plates, 8O

BoloDon
05-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Iam sorry iam still at work.I am moved back to brooklyn, and kept my NJ license, the insurance is much cheaper in NJ. I saved about $600.00

IronFist
05-09-2008, 03:45 PM

You got LUCKY they did the same with me - the luck part. $200 bucks for bike plates, 8O

But GY you just wrote that you couldn't get plates in your " No Go in CT" thread? Did you just come home from getting them?????? N2r

GY_Racing
05-09-2008, 04:17 PM

But GY you just wrote that you couldn't get plates in your " No Go in CT" thread? Did you just come home from getting them?????? N2r

re-read :D

I said he got LUCKY they did the same to me minus the luck part. I should have worded it more clearly.

"She started to have a problem with the MSO saying that the Vins arent listed wih albany. Then said she didnt know what plate to give me saying there was 4. She got on the phone and called tech support but got put on hold."

GY_Racing
05-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Iam sorry iam still at work.I am moved back to brooklyn, and kept my NJ license, the insurance is much cheaper in NJ. I saved about $600.00

How did you save $600 on insurance on your bike? It is only around $50 to insure a GY for the whole year in most situations did I miss something?

BoloDon
05-09-2008, 11:53 PM
How did you save $600 on insurance on your bike? It is only around $50 to insure a GY for the whole year in most situations did I miss something?

The few quotes i recivied from insurance companies to insure the bike in nyc was around $745 a year, for basic liability. But in nj the total cost for the year was only $78.00.