PDA

View Full Version : What tires y'all using?

Falkon45
08-07-2020, 06:54 PM
I can't tell what brand tires are on the KPM200, but I figured they were a Chinese brand bias ply. I don't think they'll be able to take the abuse I'm going to be dealing to them throughout the week, so I'm going to be removing them pretty quickly. Possibly, before I even ride the bike. If anyone has had to change their street tires yet, which ones are you using? There only ones I can find in the factory size are Avon and Bridgestone, without going to lesser known brands. Shinko didn't even have anything. Lol. But, it looks as if I can go 10mm wider in the rear, but not sure if I can in the front. If that was possible, it would open up a wider range of tires. I might experiment a bit. I have a set of Pirelli Diablo TDs that were to go on my KTM. But it's still down, and the tires are just chilling in my dining room. Lol. Anyone know the KP series wheel widths? This will help me get some ideas of tire sizes I can play with.

Falkon45
08-10-2020, 08:48 PM
So, I'm looking of tires, and trying to find a balance between cost effectiveness and performance. I know I'm going to exceed what the stock tires are capable of handling, so they're coming off immediately. Let me know if anyone wants/needs them.

So, I'm thinking the best cost/performance balance is in the shinko 006 podium in 110/70/17 and 140/70/17. But, for $46 more, I can get some bridgestone Battlax S20 tires in the same size. Now, I have experience on these, because they're on my MT-10 right now. Should I splurge and get what I know, or try my hand on tires that will offer a little less performance but longer longevity?

Its_not_a_honda
08-11-2020, 04:56 AM
I'm assume you are talking street tires. I don't have experience with the pure street. The tires that came on my apollo 250 were cheap Chinese tires.....I thought. Wore them out quickly. Went out and got some name brand and highly recommend kendas. I could hardly ride the thing. Felt like my tires were flat all the time. Went back to the Chinese tires. They are sticky as heck it turns out. They just don't last long. And get this, they cost twice as much as the kenda tires. So don't knock the stock tires until you try them.

Landsvw
08-11-2020, 11:36 AM
I put Shinko on my bike and love them. No issues

Falkon45
08-11-2020, 04:50 PM
I'm assume you are talking street tires. I don't have experience with the pure street. The tires that came on my apollo 250 were cheap Chinese tires.....I thought. Wore them out quickly. Went out and got some name brand and highly recommend kendas. I could hardly ride the thing. Felt like my tires were flat all the time. Went back to the Chinese tires. They are sticky as heck it turns out. They just don't last long. And get this, they cost twice as much as the kenda tires. So don't knock the stock tires until you try them.

Well, it depends on the brands and compound and all kinds of stuff. I guess I can give the factory tires a shot. But again, I do plan of getting as much lean angle as I can out of this bike. That's why I'm more partial to the S20s. I've gotten track time on them. We can see what happens.

Here's a pic from the July 17th track day.

Cypher1982
08-11-2020, 05:36 PM
Well, it depends on the brands and compound and all kinds of stuff. I guess I can give the factory tires a shot. But again, I do plan of getting as much lean angle as I can out of this bike. That's why I'm more partial to the S20s. I've gotten track time on them. We can see what happens.

Here's a pic from the July 17th track day.

Holy crap!!

Falkon45
08-12-2020, 07:14 AM
Holy crap!!

Lol. Yeah. 3 tech days total on them. I think I can get one or two more, as I'm still in the novice group, and need to get my body position correct before I can get more speed. The rear end actually got loose on me over the weekend. Traction control saved the day. Lol.

I went ahead and got the S20s, as I find them kinda cheap overall on motosport.com. AANNNNDDD Bridgestone is doing a rebate on them! Lol. So I get $40 back, if they qualify! Overall, the same price as the shinkos! :D

I'll keep the stock tires in case the +10mm tires don't work out. Overall, that'll make 3 sets of tires for the KTM. Lol

Falkon45
08-13-2020, 08:42 PM
Soooo, the bike came in today!!! Guys brought it on a box truck, and didn't call me beforehand, like I asked. My neighbor sent me a text when it arrived.

Falkon45
08-13-2020, 08:46 PM
Need more pictures, but it started to get dark. I wish I could upload a video I took. Basically, all my other moto batteries were too big for this, and I didn't want to wait on it to charge. But, I had an extra 12v battery from my son's 24v electric pocket bike. It has a hard time starting the bike, but it does on the first try, every time! Lol.

Falkon45
08-13-2020, 09:24 PM
Took it a couple miles down the road to the gas station. Since this will be my work commuter, I had to see how it does on 55mph roads.

It rides like a Suzuki TU250X. The pegs seem a bit high, and way forward than what I'm used to. But very comfortable. The handlebars are tall, and keep you very neutral. You could ride for miles happily. The seat is okay for me. But, I prefer harder seats (except for the Corbin on the Yamaha. That's nice). Some of you guys may want to look into figuring how to add a gel pad.

Power wise, I will say this ... Plan way ahead before you jump into traffic. I figured as much, but man..., I'm glad there wasn't anyone on the road behind me. I think I made 60 by 5th gear (GPS verified). I think I made a top speed of 65-68 (GPS verified). The speedo gets to about 5mph fast at those speeds.

Another thing I will say is, there is no reward to winding out this engine, other than noise. It's definitely a mid rev range engine. But, the band is short, and comes quick. Short shift when you figure the power band, and you'll be rewarded with moderate acceleration.

Handling... Ok, so I can't be too hard on this, because I'm about 100 lbs heavier than lifan's target rider. Same for the KTM and Yamaha. I have no idea if the shock is preload adjustable. I looked at it, and it had what looks like an adjustment collar, but I don't see any threads. It's also two piece progressive springs. I really need to up the preload. I'm blinding oncoming drivers. Lol

Low speed agility is pretty nice, but gets sluggish at speed. I need to check the tire pressures. The CST tires are known a manufacturer, but known more for bicycle tires. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze anything out of them before the suspension gives up.

Overall, it's a fun bike. I'm gonna give it a good shakedown over the weekend. I also need some goo-gone to get the sticker residue off the tank.

Falkon45
08-14-2020, 08:15 AM
Took it for another ride last night. Again, to the gas station. lol. I had to figure a few things out. This has a little more rake than my other bikes, so I had to figure what speed the transition from normal steering to counter steering happens. It's odd, because it feels like it'll do both at about 30-40. By about 30, counter steering kicks in on my other bikes. With the different seating position, I have to get used to low speed steering (i.e.: turning from a stop). I go way wider than I should.

The clutch is super grabby. Being a new bike, it makes sense. It should be a bit more slippery after a couple oil changes. I got spoiled because my first bike had a slipper clutch. And so does the other one. This is maybe the third bike I've ever ridden without one. Downshifts are very abrupt.

Brakes... needs better pads. My MT-10 has squishy brakes, and that makes triple digit speeds quite quickly. This thing needs a handful of brake lever and a near death grip at about 50. lol. I'm gonna have to remember that when transitioning between bikes. Thankfully, this is the only one without ABS, so I won't endo the other two if I forget. I did get part numbers from Venom, but they're Lifan specific. I should ask for a SKU. I'll have to pull a couple pad and see what I can find with similar dimensions. Bike Master, Galfer, and EBC should have something. I found some for a honda dirt bike that might be close. The rear brake is also very squishy. It'll wait until day time to try and do goofy stuff with it. lol.

I put in as much coolant as i could. I'm not sure what kind it is, but I'm gonna drain it, and put in engine ice today, possibly. The twin radiator design is interesting... but still a better design than my RC390! lol. I'm not sure if this has a temp gauge. I haven't really looked, though. The cluster is cool, but very busy. It's also well out of the way, so checking it is a bit concerning while riding. I'll more than likely be using my phone as a speedo most of the time.

This bike also has no on bike storage, if you were wondering. I really wish it did. There's space under the seat, but the seat has to be bolted in. No way for easy access.

The headlights are okay. I haven't tried the high beam, but the low casts light a bit unusually. It's vertically narrow, but really wide horizontally.

Overall, I think the only thing this engine needs is timing advance and a slightly larger cam. Those seem to be what holding the engine back from about 20-22 hp. I'm waiting to install the exhaust, which came in Thursday. I'll post pictures of that also. Looks like it'll fit, but it relocates the O2 sensor closer to the exhaust port. Possibly for faster warm up. Great idea, honestly. It
s too shiny for my taste, though, so I'm going to be wrapping it. It's actually a legit piece of kit. Very well made. Better than ALL my chinese mufflers (i'll explain later. lol).

JerryHawk250
08-14-2020, 08:38 AM
Man she sure is pretty. :D I'm sure it will pick up some power after a few hundred miles. The KPR200 performance exhaust should help it breathe better too. Advancing the timing will help for sure. 4* on my X22R made a big difference.

Falkon45
08-14-2020, 01:06 PM
Here's pics of the exhaust. Even had the Lifan emblem laser etched into it. Seriously number also. Looks very well made. Very well welded also. They actually sealed around the muffler body, so it won't be blowing packing all over the place. It has a permanent baffle on the muffler inlet, and a removable silencer at the muffler outlet. Polished stainless steel. Send lighter than the factory exhaust, but I went know until I remove it. I also can't find a scale to weigh either one. I'll have to look.

JerryHawk250
08-14-2020, 01:10 PM
I see your removed the cat already. :lmao: I couldn't resist.

Falkon45
08-14-2020, 01:16 PM

Falkon45
08-14-2020, 01:17 PM
I see your removed the cat already. :lmao: I couldn't resist.

HAHAHAHA!!! Always welcome a good pun!

JerryHawk250
08-14-2020, 01:30 PM
Looks very well made. Hope it fits. This will be a good mod for other KPM200 owners.

Falkon45
08-14-2020, 01:39 PM
I might try and put it on today, just to confirm for everyone. No need to sit in suspense. lol.

Falkon45
08-16-2020, 06:43 AM
Bad news fellas. It doesn't fit :( Just a wee too much angle in the piping. I tried to fit my smaller SC Project knock off muffler, but it still didn't work.

My pictures aren't working, but I'll get some posted as soon as I figure out what's going on

Falkon45
08-16-2020, 09:37 PM
Good news! I made the exhaust fit!!!

Falkon45
08-18-2020, 08:19 AM
anyone else having problems loading pictures?

JerryHawk250
08-18-2020, 08:58 AM
anyone else having problems loading pictures?
Yes, The admin is working on it. They're have been a few other issues as well.

Falkon45
08-31-2020, 12:35 PM
Did another track day this weekend. There was a rally cool 67 year old fella there on his 1970 honda 175 race bike setup for ARMA, and a new honda CB300. He could really move on that 175. It was so cool to see. Kinda got my hopes up of taking the KPM out on the track. I kinda want to try and see if it will go. I'm still in the novice class, and people tend to at least kinda look out for the smaller slower bikes. If i can get it to do at least 70, I'll be okay. lol.

Falkon45
09-01-2020, 12:37 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2PaYcU3uLG6oSkPU6

The only session I could record, because the dang sticky mount failed on the next session.

JerryHawk250
09-01-2020, 12:53 PM
That looked like fun. :D

Falkon45
09-01-2020, 01:01 PM
That looked like fun. :D

It was. I actually had my best lap on the session after that one. But, not only did the sticky mount fail, I pressed the record button too many times, and stopped recording. >:(

Oh well, still fun.

JerryHawk250
09-01-2020, 01:06 PM
I pressed the record button too many times, and stopped recording. >:(

Oh well, still fun.
LOL, Don't feel bad, I've done that one time too many. You know how us old people are?

Falkon45
09-04-2020, 07:52 AM
Well, I've gotten about 450 miles on the bike so far. Still on the shipping oil. And screw the break-in procedure, I've romped on the thing since first start. lol. Anyway, it's time for an oil change. The NBF2 in the KPM200 looks different from the one on the KPR200. I emailed Venom, and they say that there isn't a filter. Just the screen. There looks to be a provision for a filter, AANNNDDD, my research shows that a K&N KN-131 might fit. Gonna try and pull do the oil change this evening, and see how it goes. I'll make sure to take pictures.

Falkon45
09-06-2020, 11:31 PM
Did the oil change tonight. Got some pictures. Good news:. Oil drain plug is magnetic from the factory. Bad news: no filter. Good news: there are two oil screens. One coarse, one fine. The kn-131 was taller and smaller diameter and no gasket. I'll post pictures in a bit.

Falkon45
09-07-2020, 12:28 AM
So, just a heads up... If you need swingarm spools, they're 8mm. Found that out after my 10mm and 6mm spools didn't work. Grabbed some M8 bolts and they fit.

Tools you will need are 17mm, 24mm, and 8mm.

The drain bolt is 17mm. Of course, that's where you start. Lol.

I was surprised to see that the drain plug was magnetic. Something I was happy about. Now I don't need to look for one to upgrade to.

Next is the coarse screen just above the drain plug. That one is 24mm. Be careful!!! It's spring loaded. Also remember that the cone points out, not in. I forgot to take a picture of the orientation. Lol. But it goes strainer (cone out), spring, lid.

After that, it's time for the fine strainer. That's on the right side of the engine. Pull the two 8mm bolts and CAREFULLY pry the cover open. This does have an o-ring seal, so be careful. I need to take measurements on the strainer, but compared to the k&n, I assume it's 35mm tall, and 50mm in diameter.

I'll probably try and edit this when I can get the pictures to load.

Falkon45
09-07-2020, 07:11 PM
So, after the failure of the kn-131, I went exploring in Walmart, and found a filter that looks the business.

Fram ch6015-04
K&N KN-112
Gonna check and see if it works.

Falkon45
09-07-2020, 09:26 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/z3k1FxixEXpvHcJh8

Pictures of the strainer and filters

Falkon45
09-07-2020, 09:28 PM
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fC5YusCp8xQRUDyu9

Pictures of the oil change

Falkon45
09-14-2020, 11:17 PM
First ride to work after the oil change... Man, what a difference oil makes! Lol. Used mobile 1 4t "racing" oil. Lol. Anyway, the clutch engagement is WAY better. A lot smoother than before. I can actually work the thing without jerky engagement.

And a small increase in power. Was actually able to pull off a solid 70 mph on the GPS. Although, that did require some nascar side drafting. I can also hit 60 mph in 4th gear now, instead of 5th.

Next up will be a throttle kit. The throttle is a very long twist, and giving me problems when I don't concentrate on shifting and engine braking. I can do clutch less up and down shifts, but big twists on the throttle to pull them off are annoying.

I also happen to have the stock injector from my rc390 sitting around. I feel it might be too big for this engine, but after I look for an air filter, I'll look into installing it. Seems like it would fit.

Falkon45
09-15-2020, 08:08 AM
Also, did some digging, and found crash bars for the KPM 200

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001029103057.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.a1607 6e46u8Q8H&algo_pvid=92adf9a5-aee2-4316-bfec-a7a2d6f1818c&algo_expid=92adf9a5-aee2-4316-bfec-a7a2d6f1818c-7&btsid=0bb0623916001715783618006ed236&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb 201603_

Falkon45
09-25-2020, 07:46 AM
Gonna be looking into heated grips. Thankfully, the south Ga winters aren't too bad, but when your hands easily go numb in the cold, it's best to try and thwart that as much as possible while riding.

I'm looking some things up, but does anyone have experiences with them they'd like to share?

Falkon45
09-28-2020, 08:01 AM
Attempted a wheelie. 12 o'clocked it. Saved it and kept it shiney side up, but killed the tag light and jacked up the fender. Lol. Thankfully, I've had a universal fender delete I've been sitting in for a couple years. Looks like it'll get it's time soon. Lol.

JerryHawk250
09-28-2020, 08:08 AM
Opps!

Falkon45
09-28-2020, 09:08 AM
Opps!

Lol. This isn't all bad. I actually want to delete the whole trail section, and do a cafe racer seat and rear cowl. Might even do the KPR clip-ons.

JerryHawk250
09-28-2020, 09:17 AM
Lol. This isn't all bad. I actually want to delete the whole trail section, and do a cafe racer seat and rear cowl. Might even do the KPR clip-ons.

Oh, I agree, there ain't nothing that can't be fixed. lol What's the diameter of the fork tubes?

Falkon45
09-28-2020, 09:31 AM
Oh, I agree, there ain't nothing that can't be fixed. lol What's the diameter of the fork tubes?

I need to look then up. But they are bigger than the KPR because they're upside-down forks. I think the clip-on mounts are in the same spot, though. I'll have to look again and see.

Falkon45
01-09-2021, 07:05 PM
I've been silent on this for a while. Trying to conduct science. Lol. I found something that might work to convert the handlebars to clip-ons. Just came in the mail today. Looked like crap outside, and cold, but I'll try tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D96WPWQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GnK-Fb8S54RSJ

Also, looking to improve the brakes. This is dual purposed. A brake upgrade for the KPM and my 00 ZX-7R track bike. It's the Chinese copy of the brembo rc19 master cylinder. Figured I'd test it on the slower bike before I try my hand on something that can do 160 mph. Lol.

US $41.25 25%OFF | 19 RCS Motorcycle Brake Master Cylinder Cable clutch Radial Brake Pump 22mm Universal For Honda Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtje4x3

Looking for brake pads. At least, the front. I know the basic shape, but, I'm guessing it's something dirt bike related. I can post a few results tomorrow.

Falkon45
01-10-2021, 10:42 AM
So, I must declare the clip-on adapter a failure. I figured the bolt spacing for the handlebars to be somewhat standardized. I was wrong. I guess the fz/mt-07 runs something skinnier. The bolts for the clamp were more narrow both radially and axially. Dang. Lol. When the new brake lines come in (stainless braided lines) I'll convert over to the knock-off brembo, and give it a go. But, until then, I have something else I can apply for later projects.

Falkon45
01-17-2021, 09:48 AM
Well, my horn has stopped working. Not sure if it's the button or something else. I'll dig into that later. Also, riding in the cold isn't fun when you don't have heated gear. Lol. Waterproof gloves and shoes have proven to not be water proof, and heated liners require me to step up a glove size and heated gloves are too expensive for me to buy for something that will very rarely happen (riding in the cold)

Falkon45
01-19-2021, 12:08 PM
Making some progress on the brakes!!! I need to order some, and run tests, but I think I have found some front and rear pad upgrades for the KPM bikes that share the same caliper. Odd enough... I found it by accident while looking up the rear brakes.

I found these: FA629HH for the rear brakes. These look spot on to the images I've found from the asian sellers. Gonna put those on order.

Then, for the fronts, I noticed that there was a seller that has some that looked correct. But, they were for a UTV. Interesting. They're for CF MOTO and Can-AM, and some dirt bikes. Everything I've found said they aren't for street use, but that won't stop me from giving them a shot. lol.

PN: FA135R / FA165R

I'm happy to have made progress on the brakes, as that's my biggest gripe with this bike. The brakes are terrible. Something grippier will help out tremendously.

More digging!! Found out that the late Ninja 250 and Ninja 300 brakes are similar also. Putting those on my list as well. About to spent entirely too much money to test these brakes. lol.

PN: FA197HH

Falkon45
01-20-2021, 08:21 AM
Ok, So I limited my order to the FA197HH andFA629HH. Both of these are high performance sintered pads. Excessive for this bike, but I'm sure the organic variety will be good for what's needed. I'm going big to test the rotors. I'm not going to end up in anything tight enough to need to really use the brakes that hard. I wish we had a go-kart track out here to run small bikes on. Closest thing to me is Herrin Compound for mini-bikes. About 2 hours from my house.

But, this is all for research. Also, the rear brake pads can fit the Grom. So, that's good to know. After testing everything out, I'll add it to the resource thread.

Falkon45
01-22-2021, 08:59 PM
Brake lines just came in today!! That's everything I need! I think I ordered them too short, though. I guess I'll find out soon.

This will be done in multiple parts. I don't have cones, or any really good places to measure results, so I can only relay on noticable feel.

First step: test and give impressions on the stock brakes.

Second step: change pads. Plenty pictures will be taken for comparisons. This will be mostly focused on the front brakes, as an upgraded rear brake pad aren't really on most people's list outside of track day junkies or stunters. But pictures and part numbers will be discussed

Third step: Stainless lines. Technically, this should be done with the stock pads for more resolute data, but, these are some cheap universal lines. Since finding out the ninja 250(late model)/300/400 brakes are about the same thing, if you don't want to do guess work on length, brake lines for the non-ABS bikes might work (don't quote me on that)

Fourth step: The brembo rc18 knock-off. I won't expand on this too much, as it's an experiment for another bike. But it sure would have been cool to see that and the clip-on adapter on the KPM.

Falkon45
01-25-2021, 07:56 AM
Another update. Looks like the rear rotors are the same size as the rear rotor for a Honda XR250. I'll have to test that out also. Possibly when I do the tires.

Also, the second gen ninja 250 front rotors may be able to fit. Need to confirm the bolt pattern. The stock rotor size for those are 290mm. I think the stock rotor size for the KPM is 300mm. But, there are 310mm kits that come with a relocation bracket. I'll test this out also when tires are due, possibly.

Falkon45
01-28-2021, 08:26 AM
Front Rotors of choice. I can't find just the front rotor with adapter for a decent price, so I'll be ordering these. I'll have to figure out what to do with the rear, as it will fit nothing else I have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5G8DPH/?coliid=IP9APLAGK88Y4&colid=3JWECTHJC6CIY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For the rear, I'll get these

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-CRF230L-CRM250R-XL250R-XR250L/dp/B07RK4D6WB/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=Honda+XR250+rear+rotor&qid=1611840140&sr=8-17

As far as i can tell, if these upgrades work, these "Should" apply to the KPR200 and KP200 also Honestly, pads will be all these bikes need, but I'm just going the extra mile in case anyone will keep their bike long enough to need to replace rotors.

JerryHawk250
01-28-2021, 08:40 AM
Too back the front brakes from the X22R wouldn't work. Although it had dual from disk. Each caliper had 4 pistons and 2 pads. Way more brake than the X22R needs.

Falkon45
01-28-2021, 11:54 AM
Too back the front brakes from the X22R wouldn't work. Although it had dual from disk. Each caliper had 4 pistons and 2 pads. Way more brake than the X22R needs.

Yeah, I noticed that!! I'm actually quite jealous. Especially since i've found upgraded calipers that can fit your bike! lol.

ChillRider
03-04-2021, 05:39 AM
Well... my '07 Zongshen Sierra doesn't leave me much choice in terms of tire types (18" front, and the oh-so-Chinese 15" at the back). Not really a street bike by design, but in practice that's how I'm using it, and how it's generally set-up (gearing, tires).

So I'm currently running Pirelli City Demon (3.00-18 front, and 130/90-15 rear). If you are thinking that these are small cruiser tires, more suited for e.g. a Virago 250, you'd be right! Cruiser or small commuter tires are pretty much the only options in that rim size (at least for the rear). At least the City Demons are lighter and have more of a tread pattern than most cruiser tires.

The stock front size would be 100/90-18, but Pirelli doesn't make them in that size. So the general result is having a weird hybrid between a dual-sport bike and a lightweight cruiser :lol:

Falkon45
03-04-2021, 10:43 AM
That's interesting on the rear wheel size. lol. That's probably the one reason I didn't go with a dual sport. I know my bike will spend nearly the entirety of it's life on the street.

Falkon45
03-07-2021, 06:52 PM
Did the brake pads today. Both front and rear pads are confirmed to fit. Braking has been vastly improved. Have not done the stainless lines or master cylinder yet. As of right now, they aren't needed.

Coloradogoose
05-03-2021, 12:56 AM
Two quick questions. Did you see any power gain with the exhaust? And how many miles did it take for the bike tohit full power during the break-in period? Thanks!

Falkon45
05-04-2021, 04:29 PM
Two quick questions. Did you see any power gain with the exhaust? And how many miles did it take for the bike tohit full power during the break-in period? Thanks!

No noticable power gains from the exhaust compared to stock. But I only rode the bike once or twice with the stock exhaust. But, with the baffle out the kp-moto club exhaust, I had a slight gain in power in the upper rev range. Honestly, with most bikes, especially small displacement singles, 1-2 hp is typical.

I did a "hard break-in". It went full throttle from day one. Even did it with the crap oil that it was shipped with. Didn't notice anything until I did the first oil change with better oil. The clutch smoothed out, and the power band broadened a bit.

So far, I've actually noticed that performance got better as the chain slack increased. Lol. Oddly, the bike send to feel best just before the chain gets kicked. That's how I know I need to tension my chain.

Coloradogoose
05-06-2021, 12:41 AM
Thanks for that response Falkon. Trying to decide if slapping an after market muffler on is worth it. I already have the muffler and it has removable parts so I could tweak things a bit to see if the power will bump a bit. Don't need it to be fast, just to hold 65 for about 3 miles each way on my commute. Otherwise it's dirt back roads the rest of the way to work.
Trying some CST dual sport tires from Yoycart that were available in the proper sizes. Will let you know how they go once they are on.

Falkon45
06-04-2021, 01:57 PM
Ordered a new handler, grips, and mirrors. If the rain holds off, I'll install sometime this weekend. Doing this, because I really can't adjust my mirrors anymore, due to everything being oxidized around the mirror bolts.

Handlebar:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PKBXQ1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mirrors (knockoff of the ones on my MT-10):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TM8HCN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Grips (they don't match the brown on the seat, but they'll work):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SJ718PT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Falkon45
06-05-2021, 05:37 PM
Installed everything today. Took about an hour and a half. Modifications had to be done to the handlebar. That took the most amount of time. Pictures soon

Falkon45
06-05-2021, 09:30 PM
Rise and sweep off the stock handlebar vs the new handlebar

Test fitting the bar,

Have to drill holes for the alignment/stay pins for the controls

Falkon45
06-05-2021, 09:34 PM

Eyeballed where to set the holes. Used a 3/16th drill bit

Finished product

Knock off mirrors. They seem okay. Just need to see how they handle the vibes

Falkon45
06-05-2021, 09:36 PM

These grips are a bit shorter than the original grips. So, I have to deal with the gap. Gonna try and ride next week, if my leg can make it.