PDA

View Full Version : Whats the max watts on these bikes?

Medicbobs
09-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Looking for put another small lightbar on my bike and was wondering what the max I could use was?

I already have a 40w headlight and the one I'm looking at is about a 45w lightbar.

Also, a better battery would give me more amps or watts to work with right?

Medicbobs
09-17-2020, 06:25 PM
Cheap battery, but it looks like 12, 7ah, so about 300 watts. Wonder if that will handle my 95w total to the headlight plus all other stuff. It's all LED so it can't be too bad.

Oddball Matt
09-18-2020, 02:05 AM
Hook up the light or sth of similar drain, and a multimeter onto your battery. Start the bike and rev it to around 3000. Keep looking at the multimeter while switching on the light. If your voltage drops your drain is bigger than your gain. A bigger battery won't save you as that power has to come from somewhere so it'd only work as a solution for very short perioids.

RedCrowRides
09-18-2020, 11:59 AM
You should be fine with the stock stator output as long as the lights are all LED ., they dont pull near the current incandescent style / halogen do .Watts is the brightness they render, not related to the amperage they draw. ,you'll be fine .

bogieboy
09-18-2020, 12:06 PM
You should be fine with the stock stator output as long as the lights are all LED ., they dont pull near the current incandescent style / halogen do .Watts is the brightness they render, not related to the amperage they draw. ,you'll be fine .

One of the biggest lies on forums right here...a 45w light bar wether incandesent or LED will pull 45w... watt is just volts x amps. So if you have a 45w load on 13.5v, its pulling 3.333 amps. Does not matter if the load is LEDs, halogen, a motor, if it is rated at 45w, it will pull that sane amount of power.

franque
09-18-2020, 12:34 PM
Lumens are the brightness output, not watts. Watts are a function of volts and amps.

duck9191
09-23-2020, 10:42 AM
vxc=w. 45 watts is 45 watts, if the light consumes its rated wattage then that's what it will be. granted a lot of them are full of crap and wont pull what they are rated for.

the stator is weak on these to say the least. swap out the rest of the bulbs to led to free up some head room, tail light/brake light and turn signals use a good bit of power.

Medicbobs
09-23-2020, 11:49 AM
thanks for all the answers guys. I installed the lights and they seem to be working fine with both of them on and they are a total of 95 watts LED or something. All turning signals are LED as well. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overloading the system. That's all the lights I have planned for the bike anyway.

duck9191
09-23-2020, 12:44 PM
turn everything on and check the voltage at the battery. anything lower than 12.7v when revved up is discharging. also see how bad it is at idle, you could kill the battery if idling.

Medicbobs
09-23-2020, 02:14 PM
turn everything on and check the voltage at the battery. anything lower than 12.7v when revved up is discharging. also see how bad it is at idle, you could kill the battery if idling.

Yeah, everything looks good so far. Surprised with this Chinese battery that comes with it.

franque
09-23-2020, 04:57 PM
It has nothing really to do with the battery, more to do with the charging system capacity.

Walt28Wood
12-01-2020, 10:36 PM
I really hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 2019 Apollo Enduro 250 and it seems even replacing the factory battery with an interstate battery and once a month I have to charge it because it starts getting weak. Is there an aftermarket stator or something to boost the charging system?

duck9191
12-01-2020, 10:50 PM
I really hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 2019 Apollo Enduro 250 and it seems even replacing the factory battery with an interstate battery and once a month I have to charge it because it starts getting weak. Is there an aftermarket stator or something to boost the charging system?

Check your voltage while running, the regulator/rectifier might not be putting out what you need.

goJimH
12-01-2020, 11:17 PM

I would do what Duck9191 Said - plus others here. If you cant get your bike to maintain say 12.7 volts or higher at the battery while at say 3000 rpms then you had better consider other options.

In addition to that - I would check all my connections, grounds, ect.. and make sure they are secure. Next - I would test for a parasitic drain on the battery with the bike off.

Best of Luck

culcune
12-02-2020, 10:38 AM

How often are you riding is my first question? I had a TMEC 200 dual-sport that I replaced the battery with a gel-cell type, and rode the bike for about a year and a half with no issues. I upgraded to a newer TMEC 200, and kept the aftermarket battery, and that one went 2 years.

However, living in southwest AZ, I was using my bikes strictly for commuting 5 days a week, year round, so the bikes were seeing very little relative downtime. For all it's worth, I bought my battery at T-Motorsports.com for about $32 including shipping, BUT, looking over their site, in spite of the name having 'motorsports' in the name, they appear to not be selling bikes or accessories anymore. Shame because that battery was very capable.