PDA

View Full Version : Vm22 install, throttle cable issue....

ChenzoB
10-26-2020, 12:14 AM
I installed an Amazon special vm22 carb and changed the plunger to the bigger one and went to start it and it went wot. I asked someone on Facebook and was told to reroute the throttle cable. So I opened up the handle and started it up and it was idling fine, now I can't figure out how to get the throttle cable correctly installed adjustment wise. Any tips would be appreciated.

I tried to search but for some reason when I tried to type out a word the search box dissappeared.

ChenzoB
10-26-2020, 01:39 PM
None? Ok... my 2nd or 3rd post with it getting plenty of views but not a single comment...

Bruces
10-26-2020, 04:31 PM
I have no idea what bike you are working on ,so a little more info might help you out .

China Rider 27
10-26-2020, 07:39 PM
If you are working on that Boom Vader listed and it is similar to the Hellcat you are gonna need a longer throttle cable as the stock is too short and will hold open the throttle. You can make some adjustment up at the throttle end but likely not enough.

ripcuda
10-26-2020, 08:04 PM
I had the same issue on my vm22 install on my HC. The stock carb had a short straight throttle cable holder on top the carb throttle valve barrel cap. This allowed the throttle cable to be the correct length.

My fleabay vm22 came with a longer 45deg elbow throttle cable holder to go on the vm22 throttle valve barrel cap. When I installed it, the vm22 cable holder held open my carb throttle valve open. There wasn't enough cable (or rather, there was too much throttle cable sheath) to allow the throttle valve to fully close for idle.

The throttle valve barrel caps were different size so I couldn't just swap them between carbs. And I did try the throttle cable adjuster (by the handlebars) but couldn't let out enough cable to allow the carb to close throttle.

I ended up having to modify the vm22 throttle cable holder (the swivel part that attaches to the cap). I had to pry it out of the cap... then shorten it ~ 1/2in and jam it back into the cap hole... so it could still do it's job holding the end of the throttle cable sheath.

Is this making any sense? Hard to describe. In the end I got it adjusted and working fine, but it was not plug-n-play. I'd not heard anyone else (until now) mention it before... so I assumed it was just my version of the vm22 I got.

Cheers!

http://chinariders.net/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=1977

Lance
10-28-2020, 06:14 PM
Ripcuda pretty much solved your problem, had that issue at first. Also below the float bowl is the air/fuel mixture screw. I had one of these carbs not the genuine “Mikuni” and at 3-5k rpm the engine would bog down, both on a jetted carb and the stock jets. Tried to mess with the air fuel mixture screw two times and got fed up, switched back to stock. I should be getting a real Mikuni carb today

Brapson
10-31-2020, 03:10 PM
I just ordered a genuine mikuni carb for my 2020 boom Vader and I’ll let you know how the set up goes on it.