PDA

View Full Version : No Mechanical Background, 110 Loncin engine problems

DaCreator
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Hello everyone,

This is a fantastic site to learn about my son's ATV. HE, just bought this with money from shoveling all winter and has had nothing but problems. We have since taken it back to the dealer who got it running finally with bypassing the cutoff switch for the gas flow. (Sorry, my terminoligy is not standard mechanics)

We ran it for two days last week after shaking the gas line no problem. Today, we cannot start it. It will barely turn over. We replaced the battery with one that is acid filled because the cheap sealed one does not retain charge. Still, no turn over. How can this thing just stop working?

Should I be replacing the CDI as I have read elsewhere? Is it hard to do?

Please help me get my son up and running. The kid's hard earned money is going to waste and the dealer's after purchase dealings are very "rushed" - not happy with that.

katoranger
04-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Sounds like the "dealer" doesn't know how to fix it. I would try to get a refund on it. They shouldn't bypass anything.

If that doesn't work then start by checking the main fuse and then the connections. Sounds like no power is going to the starter.

Is there a safety cutoff switch? Allen

DaCreator
04-17-2008, 01:38 PM
The dealer just wants the money and run. He will not give a refund. Tried that. It was not even a week old, never rode and I asked him to upgrade it, said it would have to be sold as used and I would have to take a $100 hit on it.

I checked this morning again. It is barely turning over - I'm thinking the battery is not large enough or they did not charge it enough. The small charger that came with the atv was on all night, but I'm thinking that will not give a sufficient charge.

culcune
04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
I think putting my foot down with the dealer would be the place to start. He sold it, he fixes it (yes, because it is within a reasonable amount of time). If he found out that it was something you did, then he should charge you for fixing it, which is well within his rights. If it is found that it isn't your fault, he needs to make it a little "righter" than telling you you will take a $100 hit on a refund!

AZ200cc
04-17-2008, 03:19 PM
You should ask for an exchange, I doubt You will get a refund.

DaCreator
04-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Here's the deal. Since he gave me a deal on it without them putting it together, I suddenly have no warranty. If they put it together, then it's 3 months. Funny how that was never brought up during the sales pitch. Only until I need service.

I checked the new battery and it was only a 6 volt. The original one is 12v 5A. So I am having it charged and ordering a new one. I'm hoping that will solve the problems. I think because it's trying to turnover, the electrical, starter etc are ok, am I right in assuming this?

TeamCheap
04-17-2008, 04:10 PM
DaCreator is it electric start only? (I'm guessing it is but have to ask)

You say it barely turns over so it is either a weak battery or loose/bad connection or bad starter relay.

Did the dealer(so called) prep it?
Hopefully they changed out the engine oil when they prepped it.

Can you please tell us what model atv it is.

Just curious, where are you located?

nick780
04-17-2008, 04:17 PM
i agree, you shouldnt have to bypass anything ,its obvious the dealer doesnt know how to fix his product, sometimes people dont know about some carb adjustments you might have to do(including a dealer that doesnt know how to work on it) to get it to start and run right because of the different alttitude changes( anyone correct me if im wrong),but i had to adjust my carb to get it running right in all throttle ranges.im just throwing the carb thing out there, but it kinda sounds electrical.

sounds like you have a bad case of the DEALER! if he doesnt want to help you , and you havent had the bike long(dont know if you got a warranty with it) i would threaten legall action, and see how he responds.alot of times its the dealers that give these bikes a bad name!

TeamCheap
04-17-2008, 04:24 PM
DaCreator wrote :
Here's the deal. Since he gave me a deal on it without them putting it together, I suddenly have no warranty. If they put it together, then it's 3 months. Funny how that was never brought up during the sales pitch. Only until I need service.

So basically DaCreator is on his own so lets just see if we can get it running.

He stated that he has a 6V battery and it needs a 12V battery and he'll try that which I feel will work for him.

I also wonder if DaCreator has changed out the engine oil that came in it with some good 4-stroke oil so he knows for sure whats in there protecting that engine.

OHH DaCreator some pictures would be really nice also.

AZ200cc
04-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Yah six volts won't cut the mustard, A twelve should solve that problem.

DaCreator
04-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys,

I did get it running today finally, I brought the old chinese original battery to Canadian Tire and they cahrged it up. A good solid 12.7 volts registered, put it in and boom. Started like a champ. So, we know that the battery is draining and we will have to purchase a good charger to get it to this state as the small 3 pronged one I got from the dealer is not good.

For those asking, I DID change the oil after reading many posts and the dealer bypassed the small shutoff lever - that is working because he said there was not enough gas passing through it and they did not have one to replace.

They replaced the gas filter AND the carb last week when I took it in.

This is why I could not understand that after running it last weekend, the thing just dies...but now I know its a battery problem.

Thank all that replied and have tried to help.

I will frequent this forum often!

DaCreator
04-17-2008, 08:34 PM
TeamCheap,

It is electric start and the model is the mini hummer 110 - not sure what else to describe.

It is the latest model - 4 stroke I believe, but I'm talking stuff I don't know about. I only know through reading the forums. The oil is good as I changed it up last week immediately after bringing it home from the dealer.

I'll keep you guys/gals posted if there are further problems, but my son was a happy kid today.

culcune
04-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Glad to hear it's running...it sounds like your dealer really doesn't know how to work on bikes, however. Even if you had to put it together, which as you pointed out, you never were really told the ramifications for, a competent dealer would know how to fix and service it, although, had you actually damaged something, I would think that they should be able to charge you for it, only fair in my opinion.

Bruce, help me out on this--it doesn't sound like something you would be doing?

TeamCheap
04-17-2008, 09:07 PM
So your son worked hard and saved up and bought that himself, thats excellent.
He most definitely deserves the fruits of his labor.

If you keep an eye on the machine and fix the little problems early then you shouldnt have any big problems.

I Hope he's wearing safety gear when riding.(helmet,goggles,gloves,boots at the minimum)

So DaCreator what do you ride ?

DesertDog
04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
8) sounds like another happy china owner has learned the hard way.
>
>
start a gallery dacreator , upload some pics, and outings with the bike and have fun .
so we can lookyloo at ya all havin fun
desertdog

pedez2000
04-18-2008, 12:29 AM
i sell those little atv's. and the batterys at times do suck.

i would put the old one back in and jump it with a charger or portable jumper or just a good new 12v battery if you still have problems starting it get a new starter if it turn but not fast enough and its not the battery it the starter.

i sell parts too if you can't find them .website below.

good luck too.

DaCreator
04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Team Cheap,

Yes, my son totally paid for this himself. That's why it is so sad when he can't ride it. For a 10yr old, paying $700 for something he worked for is a huge thing.

He wears everything except the boots.

DaCreator
04-18-2008, 11:35 AM
thankz pedez,

That's what I did, got the old one back, had it charged and now we are going to grab a real charger since it drains so much.

Maybe you can hook me up with a good replacement battery. I'm looking to get one.

DaCreator
04-18-2008, 11:39 AM
DesertDog and TeamCheap,

I'm gonna upload some pics of my son and ATV. I have not got a ride myself yet, but I'm thinking of grabbing one now that I see him having so much fun. It's great here because we have an open path/trail right behind our home as well as a closed street where the neighbours all know him. he can ride safely.

pedez2000
04-18-2008, 12:30 PM
email me at the contact info om my website below

i have real good replacment batterys but they are not on my site only in my shop i will ship too.

AZ200cc
04-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Team Cheap,

Yes, my son totally paid for this himself. That's why it is so sad when he can't ride it. For a 10yr old, paying $700 for something he worked for is a huge thing.

He wears everything except the boots.

That is so cool, You harldy ever hear of a kid earning anything these days.

Cal25
04-18-2008, 01:17 PM
(just dont tell him it's a $700 mechanical course that he is haveing all the fun on!)

DaCreator
04-18-2008, 01:47 PM
(just dont tell him it's a $700 mechanical course that he is haveing all the fun on!)

WOW that's for sure. I'll tell ya, it's good when I can 'fix' it and he goes out to buy me a coffee with a note attached "thanks for the help on the ATV" - he know's I'm no mechanic, but that made my week.

DaCreator
04-18-2008, 01:49 PM
[quote=DaCreator]Team Cheap,

That is so cool, You harldy ever hear of a kid earning anything these days.

thanks, it's my upbringing as I started my own business at 14 yrs old and have not looked back since. Being your own boss and learning the value of truly making money is important to me. He started cutting grass at age 8 and continues now with shoveling in the winter also.