PDA

View Full Version : And what is a Ferrit?

Ferrit
01-18-2007, 07:05 PM
After a conversation with Mule3010 this past weekend I was reminded that I had never introduced myself. My real name is Garth and I live in central Kentucky, just south of the state capitol where I work as the Governor's gardener. It's actually a bit more than that but not worth talking about.

I retired from the military in '92 after spending most of my time stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY and traveling the world. My job then was electronics research and development for helicopters.

I've ridden and repaired motorcycles since I was 6 starting with an Allstate motor scooter. I've owned, in no particular order, Yamaha big Bear scrambler, Bridgestone enduro, Suzuki PE250, Bultaco Pursang, Honda CB350, Suzi GS850, Yamaha PA50, Suzi Burgman 400, Indian Scout, and Kawasakis- Z900, GPZ550, KZ400, KLR650, KLR250, Voyager XII. I've probably missed some but you get the idea. Each and every one has its own story and adventure attached to it.

My passion is riding dirt but I'll ride any bike anywhere. I've raced enduros, hare scrambles, and in the desert. I've even tried my hand at road racing.

I look forward to meeting all of you in the time ahead. Ride safe, push your limits, and let the adventure continue for a long, long time!!!

ejcycles
01-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey Ferrit
Welcome and enjoy the ride here since your a Cool Boy already... :D Nothing wrong with being late I do it myself...it just makes us more aware we are still human!!!

Ride Wild and Fly Like an Eagle! 8O
Bruce

dlunt
01-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Mmmmm a Bultaco...
Some of us old time dirt riders like hearing about some of those good old bikes like Bultaco, Penton, Hodaka and CanAm.
Thanks for sparking the memory and enjoy the best biking site on the internet (in my humble opinion).

Cam
01-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah Ferrit, I can relate.

I have a pic of me riding on the tank of my uncle's suicide-shift hawg when I was 1. I owned a few dirt bikes, Kaws mostly. When I was younger I owned H1 and H2 Kaws, widowmakers, Yamaha RD's, the 400's were the balls. I miss those 2 stroke screamers. I got into the Harley thing in the early eighties and have owned quite a few of those things too.

All have memories, especially the ones' that you ended up with road rash and broken bones on.

You and I are probably close to the same age. I know I've slowed down alot. Things sure have changed in the biking world since we were kids.

Harley's have lost it for me. I don't know why. Maybe it's the yuppie image/weekend warrior/poser badass people that these things attract now. I don't even go to alot of the biker gigs anymore. It's nothing but a bunch of BS. Two beers about do me in, I tried all the drugs, I know what a tit and butt looks like, my eardrums are gone from all those damn shotgun pipes, have enough tats and t-shirts, bought enough of their trinkets: entrance price, buying an overweight, overpowered machine, that handles like an oceanliner.

That is what I like about these China bikes, clean slate. My next one will be a street bike, but I am kinda looking for something that reminds me of an old fashioned motorcycle.

Hi Garth, my name is Cameron.

'05 DB-03 Terminator
Rokon TB
Ural Retro
Harley Deluxe

Ferrit
01-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Yep thangs surely have changed over the years. One of the guys that works with me is a Harley man. His longest run has been aobut 75 miles and he has managed to wreck 3 times in the last year. Funny how those wrecks were all on the way home from a bike night somewhere.

I've also found the kind of comradrie that has been missing in my motorcyle world here. Everyone tries to pitch in and help out when a problem comes along. I think we will have another rise in folks riding as the Chinese bikes get more widespread just like we did when the Japanese bikes started coming in the 60's. I hope we all remember the help that we got here and pass it on to the new folks.

Look forward to meeting you in the days ahead. Be safe.

Roketarider
01-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Welcome...as I mentioned once before I am currently serving in the Army, considerable younger than you and probably most of everyone on this board. I am 24.

Cam
01-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Roketa Rider,

I was in the service for seven years. That was enough for me. I became a Volvo/Saab mechanic and owned my own business in Boston, for 17years, until I retired several years ago.

I have a son your age. He's been mad at me for several years now and I haven't heard from him. It's a long story, but he wanted to be a rock and roll star and wanted me to fund it all. I have some guilt attached to this because his mother and I were divorced early on and I wasn't involved in his life.

We all go through crap, especially in our younger years, but I couldn't relate to him. One night after he came back from one of his parties, what they call raves now, he wanted me to take something he called X. He said it would make me love everybody. I told him I didn't want to love everybody. He said Jesus loved everybody, I told him I had read that book too and Jesus didn't love everybody. I wasn't real happy about this drug thing. But I had asked for it, he had gotten me to smoke a joint with him before, bad mistake.

The final straw came when I found his dealers name on my computer. They use what they call IMing to make the deals now. Maybe it was none of my business, but I contacted everyone listed to see what they were about and pretended I was him. Boy, howdy, what a shock! I blew a gasket, maybe I shouldn't have, all I could picture was someone like DeputyGene at my door step taking me away for nonsense.

I tried to get him jobs and even tried to get him interested in working with me, but no deal. It was being a rocknroll star with all those groupies and drugs or nothing.

I am happy you are in the service. I know it taught me discipline and made me mentally tough. It also gave me the tools to run a successful business later in life. What you are learning or have learned can serve you in ways you cannot imagine now. I think there should be a draft. It would do some of these layabout kids good.

Have you been to Iraq yet? What's your job?

'05 DB-03 Roketa
Rokon TB
Ural Retro
Harley Deluxe

Roketarider
01-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I have not been to Iraq yet. I have been to Afghanistan in 03/04 for 9 months. My job in the Army is a Cavalry Scout (19D).

Cam
01-22-2007, 01:41 PM
You're a man of honor and alright in my book.

If you ever end up at Fort Drum and get bored give me a shout. I live about 75 miles NE. The Adirondacks are a great ride and if you are really ambitious, one of the most beautiful rides is across Vermont and to the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Canada has become nothing but a big hassle, not going in(they're nice folk), but coming out. They took my Ural apart last time, I don't know whether I fit the profile of a terrorist or smuggler. I have a beard, but I do speak English, with a southern draw. And if you come back across one of the more popular border crossings you could be sitting for quite awhile. On top of that you're going to need a passport. That's too bad, I liked riding Quebec.

Also, if you and your buddies are riding up this way and things go wrong, I have a truck and would be happy to help. Keep it in mind anyway, it doesn't hurt to know someone in a strange place.

'05 DB-03 Roketa
Rokon TB
Ural Retro
Harley Deluxe

Roketarider
01-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Funny thing, I was up at Fort Drum for 2 years. (2003-2005)

frostbite
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Canada has become nothing but a big hassle, not going in(they're nice folk), but coming out. They took my Ural apart last time, I don't know whether I fit the profile of a terrorist or smuggler. I have a beard, but I do speak English, with a southern draw. And if you come back across one of the more popular border crossings you could be sitting for quite awhile. On top of that you're going to need a passport. That's too bad, I liked riding Quebec.

Most, if not all, of the recent border changes are driven by US foreign policy, including the new passport requirement for Canada-US crossings. If you don't like it talk to your government.

Ferrit
01-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I have talked with the Gov'ment, of course I've also talked to a porpoise from which I got about the same response.