PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new drop in TBR7 led headlight bulb(s).

CheapThrills
02-04-2021, 02:02 PM
Looking at the bulbs and found,

the always on bulb with(looks blurry on bulb so sorry): "bxd" "12v5w"

and

the headlight bulb labeled: "Chen Yang" "12v35/35w **"

Any good drop in ideas, hoping for led and brighter.

Thanks!!!

dhilbish
02-04-2021, 08:20 PM
I have a 2020 TBR7 and this bulb worked great for me. Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088TSKHY7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ChillRider
02-05-2021, 09:17 AM
Dunno...I tried several 35W/35W LED retrofits for my ZongShen ZS200 GY-2, which had its headlight converted from the BA20D base to a more common HS1 one.

If they weren't too dim or burned out prematurely, the beam shape was all wrong for the housing. The main beam was OK, but the high beam simply didn't go very high or far: it just seemed to make the whole headlight just a tad brighter without focusing the extra light anywhere in particular, which is not good if you need to clearly signal someone.

I eventually went back to halogens, and whoah, what a difference. Glad I took those LED bulbs out...

Automotive lighting is a technology that just doesn't lend itself well to drop-in LED retrofits, with the housings and (particularly) the lens design of conventional headlights being designed around filaments. Shifting and spreading the light-emitting surface, as most LED retrofits do, just doesn't work correctly.

Hell, even stop lights aren't as easy as it sounds to get right. Too dim, not enough difference between position and brake modes, overheating, etc. and a lot of "cheap" offerings that end up being not so cheap, after all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf62jtXho3E

And let's not even discuss LED blinkers... :cry:

FWIW, I've had similar experiences with car light bulb retrofits, as well. LED lighting only seems to work well in headlights specifically designed around it. Classic reflector housings just don't work all that well with LEDs.