PDA

View Full Version : Reliable?

ChipToothy
02-21-2021, 06:24 PM
Are these bikes trust worthy for a few 2,000 mile rides and everyday commute or do I need to put my money elsewhere? Thanks.

X-PRO 2020 Version Lifan KP 200 200cc Gas Motorcycle Adult EFI Sport Motorcycle Fuel Injection 17HP Street Motorcycle Bike Assembled (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FBX5PP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_A5RXBM5B2WVTXXZ2FAG2?p sc=1

tknj99
02-21-2021, 06:27 PM
Here's an interesting thread i found that may help answer that for you:

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16673

ChipToothy
02-21-2021, 07:32 PM
Here's an interesting thread i found that may help answer that for you:

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16673

I’ve got 15,000 on my Bashan, I don’t know anything about these street bikes though. Are the wheels, plastics and gauges OK or do they suck etc.

culcune
02-21-2021, 07:35 PM
Are these bikes trust worthy for a few 2,000 mile rides and everyday commute or do I need to put my money elsewhere? Thanks.

X-PRO 2020 Version Lifan KP 200 200cc Gas Motorcycle Adult EFI Sport Motorcycle Fuel Injection 17HP Street Motorcycle Bike Assembled (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FBX5PP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_A5RXBM5B2WVTXXZ2FAG2?p sc=1

As you probably have seen from a few threads, the Lifan bikes are proving themselves as a cut above other brands. I do recall one guy on Youtube starting a series of videos with his KPR200, and then had an electrical fire that was not covered under warranty (not sure if he even pursued it or if it was something he did).

I am sure if you take care of it, a 2000 mile trip is not out of the question (people have done long trips on rank-and-file Chinese dual-sports as I am sure you are aware and as mentioned in the thread from 2016), not to mention day to day commuting.

Emerikol
02-21-2021, 08:32 PM
Here's my two cents worth, hopefully it helps you make your decision:
There's now 3,300 miles on my Hawk. It does surface streets, off roading, and river runs (at least it did before I moved out to the desert). It went on a 100 mile round trip ride just before Thanksgiving last year with no more trouble than a quick run around the block. Since I've had it, I've not done anything more than oil changes and the initial upgrades to make it more street-riding friendly, and put new tires on it (the old ones weren't worn out, they were just a little more aggressive of a knobbie than I would like for the street riding I do. I still have them in the garage to go back on if I get really crazy on the trails). So breaking it down to would I make a 2,000 mile trip all at once? The answer is a conditional "Yes!" I say conditional because it won't go anywhere fast. About 65mph or so is all it's got. If I can make the trip on surface streets and not the highway, I'd leave tomorrow. Other than managing the expectations, they really are great bikes. Most people expect everything to run forever with no intervention of any kind, no maintenance beyond changing the oil, and ready to run the Baja 500 right off the showroom floor. These bikes foster a close rider/motorcycle relationship, but really aren't any more maintenance intensive than your average well cared for lawnmower. If I could do it all over again, I would absolutely get another China bike.

franque
02-22-2021, 02:50 AM
The biggest question is maintenance, and your general knowledge/capability to repair things if it comes to something small breaking. I'm a motorcycle mechanic, so I definitely have some advantages in that regard. I wouldn't hesitate to ride cross country on one of these bikes, with a couple of provisos:

I would make sure that I have a couple of thousand miles on it to make sure that I know the machine.

I would make sure that I have a tool kit to do standard maintenance (valves and oil change) on the bike.

I'd research on here to see different issues/weaknesses with my chosen steed.

Since you're looking at something on the relatively cheaper end of the spectrum, I'd make sure all of the ground points on the frame are clean with sandpaper, and I'd carry an extra CDI and sparkplug. I would also make sure that all of the connectors are connected, contacting as they should, and have dielectric grease in them.

I would also avoid unnecessary performance modifications, making sure that the airbox is sealed, the carb is properly jetted, and perhaps change the gearing, but then leave everything else alone. To me, for long term and long distance reliability, while most performance mods that people are doing on here won't likely hurt reliability, if you're buying one of these bikes expecting more than a consistent, day in, day out 55mph cruising speed, you're exceeding the design brief, and should look for a bigger, more powerful bike to accomplish your goals.

I'd also make sure that the seat is comfortable for long distances, and it wouldn't hurt to check the wheel balance and spoke tension while the bike is being fettled. Also check the wheel bearings and steering head bearings and put some good quality grease in them.

It sounds like a lot of stuff, but realistically I'd look at doing roughly 90% of that stuff on any bike that's new to me, no matter what brand, but also affordable to me. I won't ever have anything with roadside assistance or a comprehensive warranty, so unless your roadside repair game is on point, doing all of this stuff ahead of time will save you headaches and money.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/around-south-america-accidentally-on-a-blue-150cc.1161843/

This thread recounts somebody who did a tour of South America on a Chinese bike.

Poorer countries are actually easier to buy and ride Chinese bikes, because that's what the common people ride, and there is inbuilt infrastructure and knowledge for parts, repair, and maintenance. Most shops in the US won't touch Chinese bikes, which is why self-sufficiency is the way of life on this form.

P.S. if you are the sort of person that would order the bike and pay extra to get it assembled, I would politely suggest this isn't the bike for you, at least for long distance touring.

I say that for two reasons, one is that the people that assemble are rarely competent and you'll be fixing a lot that they didn't do right or didn't check, and two, buying a cheaper Chinese motorcycle hearkens back to an era where, while reliability want bad, there was an obligatory level of mechanical intimacy that a rider had to have with their mount, making sure that all the bolts are tight, maintaining it and knowing it's character so that it wouldn't leave you stranded.

You need to know the machine, end of story, and assembling it yourself is a good way to start that 'relationship', as it were.

Emerikol
02-22-2021, 06:31 PM
I second this response from Franque. Used to be the owners manual told you how to adjust the valves; Now it tells you not to drink the contents of the battery.... :ohno::ohno: The self sufficiency of nearly an entire generation is called into question when a gender studies course is mandatory for graduation, but a finance class is not. Rant over. If you would like to do all the work yourself, or if you're interested in learning to work on your own equipment, these are very satisfying pieces of kit to own. If you're not inclined, capable or interested in getting greasy and doing your own work, owning a China Bike will be a very frustrating experience for you, and you'll walk away losing money and with a very bitter outlook on the entire experience. Personally, I wouldn't trade what I know how to do and what I've learned for anything in the world. Please keep us posted and let us know what you decide to do.

Wild Dog
02-22-2021, 11:02 PM
I second this response from Franque. Used to be the owners manual told you how to adjust the valves; Now it tells you not to drink the contents of the battery.... :ohno::ohno:

The other day i was buying milk, and a there was a warning label put by the mfg. "Warning this product contains milk"... Oh no really?? I was expecting my jug of milk to contain molten steel.

ChipToothy
03-10-2021, 08:23 AM
Well general maintenance etc isn’t the problem. My life has pretty much revolved around keeping up with the 10mm socket the last 3 years on the ol Bashan. The extra CDI etc sounds like more of the same normal stuff.

I’m looking at the Venom 250 (230) pretty hard, it’s only detractor is the lack of a 6th gear.