PDA

View Full Version : 2021 csc rx4

tknj99
03-29-2021, 06:27 PM
I just ordered my new 2021 Sapphire Blue CSC RX4 and will utilize this thread to post pictures and any developments during the process..

Ordering Process: called CSC and ordered via the phone

Delivery Estimate: 6-8 weeks (OUCH!)

Format: completely as stock, no add-on's. I researched the need for an ABS-defeat switch and realized that its most likely not a necessity for the light off-roading that i may encounter. I also didn't think id be needed the large aluminum skid plate but will order that with free shipping if i think i may need it later.

Cost: $5395 delivered

Insurance Quote: $230/ full coverage per year ($50/ded comp/coll)

I'm excited about this bike as it will be my first true adventure bike, the Brozz is better at dual-sport work, and i will probably just use it to ride local dirt/gravel with my son until he's ready to move from the Tao DBX1 to the Brozz and then i'll already have the RX4 to ride with him.

Maintenance Plans:
Oil change at 500 miles
Valve adjust at 5000 miles
Everything else as shown in maint schedule: i doubt this bike will need a tear down as extensive as i did with the Brozz and/or performance mods

Mod Plans: i don't plan much at this time, but ofcourse time will tell. As of now the only thing i can think of is to add a cell phone mount

Usage: i plan to use this bike almost extensively for touring with occasional dirt/gravel roads. It will serve as my primary do-it-all bike and especially serve the needs where the Brozz doesn't shine, ie.. highway and long-distance touring.

I will add pictures and more when it eventually arrives.. counting the days..

Adventure Awaits :)

5/12/21: Just arrived.. delivery was seamless.. a giant 80 foot trucks loaded with all kinds of other bikes.. mine was on the second level and was lowered via liftgate.. all in all about 15 minutes...
I noticed very minor paint chips on the brake lever, but all else was perfect..

Initial Impressions:
The bike looks great, love the color, features and how she feels, a proper road bike, not flimsy feeling at all but instead great fit and finish as others have said..
I was able to transfer my cell mount from the Brozz over to the RX4 and was a simple hookup on the left side next to the clutch perch. I also added a usb line over for charging and connected directly to the dash, very nice!
Cell mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089SXDMC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were a few things that i probably rushed and should have read the tutorials a bit more, for instance, i went to unscrew the windshield knob and couldn't get it to budge without using pliers wrapped in a towel.. i thought to myself, this doesn't make sense, and later read that you lift up on the windshield and then can easily turn the knob lol..
Also, i guessed my way thru adjusting the time and then later read the instructions..
Kinda bummed that temp has to remain in Celsius and Air Pressure in Bar, oh well, will memorize the conversions on those.
I did notice that the screen color seems to change while riding and alternates between orange and white, not sure if its an auto-sense darkness thing or what, but i will research that further..

The Ride:
As others have noted, the clutch is a bit grabby and requires a bit of feathering for smooth takeoffs and shifts, but that may change for the better with some miles.
The exhaust sounds great as it is, not super quiet as the Brozz was and not as loud as it is with the Stonemen Exhaust... i'd say its somewhere in-between those two.
I tried keeping her under 6k during the ride, staying off highway, and limited myself to backroads and 55mph roads.. She feels really good, i can feel the power and torque and it is there and there is plenty more on tap as i never went past half-throttle nor over 6k rpm and i know that there is more power to be had.. Once i pass the 500 mark break-in ill probably let her rev much higher between shifts..
The biggest and most pleasing part i noticed was how smooth she rides on the road, and at speed. got up to around 70mph (non-corrected) in 6th gear and she felt rock solid and so smooth, just begging to keep flowing down the road at higher speeds..
Wind protection is good, definitely better than the Brozz lol with the mini screen i installed.. I plan to experiment with different positions to see which fits me best.. I did notice some wind buffeting at once point with my helmet visor up.
Luggage: Awesome! Such a nice change of pace for me as none of my former bikes ever came with or had any significant amount of luggage space.. id carry a collapsible backpack for any kind of items id pickup usually... but damn, im feeling spoiled now.. i loaded up one of the side bags with all of the items i carried on the Brozz in the tailbag.. a carry-pouch, collapsible backpack, portable jump-starter, cargo net, bungee, some tools, etc.. and still had more space leftover..
I loaded the other side bag with my half-helmet and shades in case i ever want to switch up during a ride or for a passenger.. The top-box is still empty and can be used for shopping, planned trips, or throwing a sweater or jacket in when the temps get too hot.
Fuel Range: I only hit 50 miles so far.. she was i think at half tank off the truck as indicated and now the fuel light it blinking.. MPG shows 65 mpg which is nice.. Will fill-up and see what kind of range i get.

Comfort: Ergonomics are very good, i sit upright and comfortably have enough room. I did notice that the seat is a bit on the stiff side, hopefully it breaks in over time.

Off-Road:
I did take her on a short stint off-road, around a trail i had previously carved out on my property.. i did notice that due to the tall 1st gear, you have to really feather the clutch on very slow maneuvers, but other than that she rode fine around the dirt trail.. I also rode on a gravel road for a few miles and again, rode very well.. Now when it comes to anything serious such as high hill climbs or more challenging off-road terrain, ill just call on the Brozz for those days, as i dont think the RX4 will do nearly as well as the lighter and knobbier and lower geared Brozz on that type of terrain, but again, she'll mainly be my road-going/tourer so it works

Overall: very happy so far! I'll add more to the review as i put more miles on her!

5/19: VA inspected, registration appt next week. Have alittle over a hundred miles now
A few observations and tweaks:
1. I needed to adjust the front bars forward a bit as i was feeling cramped
2. This seat is pretty hard! i'm hoping it softens up else ill have to look into a cushion.. suggestions welcome
3. I noticed i can put my legs up onto the crash guards as a makeshift highway peg, probably a bit goofy lol but it works
4. Added some grip puppies, they feel good
5. Have a windscreen extender on order: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081QZL2WY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
6. Seat cushions(to try and see if any help) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YXC919/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Alternate purchase made to compare and will settle on which of the two products works better:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F9X2W7B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7. Throttle lock: had this on a past bike and proved useful plus at this price its practically free - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QN526DR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5/21:
A few more observations:
1. This thing is great on gas, have been averaging 67-69mpg.. I've been keeping her under 6k and not full throttling so that may go down later
2. A bit loud under load.. I'm actually surprised that the stock exhaust is on the louder side, contrasting to the Brozz which was like a whisper.. It's not necessarily bad but under load, ie throttled up an incline, gives a resonating tone inside the full helmet, not really noticeable though with the half helmet
3. Handling is great, I can go around most twisties without braking and have little worry about scraping a peg.. I'm still learning the bike so not pushing too far, but im happy
4. Tires are very street oriented and smooth on road..i may test off road and see how she grips a hill out of curiosity

Received and tested the beads.. all i can say is.. kinda weird.. sometimes they vibrate lol but dont seem to help much with comfort although since positioned towards the front, it seems to make the seat more flat so thats a plus.. waiting on the air cushion, i suspect that should be better than the beads.

5/23:
Update: Received and installed the air cushion. Inflated to about 60-70% and installed it so that it sat closer towards the front so as to level out the seat. Additionally i added thick double-sided tape pieces to the bottoms of the front rubber legs to sit slightly higher. After a short test ride its definitely an improvement over stock. I plan to take a longer ride and then see how they do as well.

5/27:
Update: not happy with the air cushion.. it helps but is awkward and adds too much height to the seat and it just looks damn ugly..

So.. i decided to take matters into my own hands, poor man style.. i had some foam lying around, cut it to guesstimated size, carefully removed staples from one side and positioned it under the seat cover and later stapled back up.. never did anything like that before but it was surprisingly easier than i had imagined. It leveled out the seat and definitely feels more comfortable. After doing this and learning the ropes, i decided to go one step further and order the real deal gel cushion polyurethane that can be cut to size and inserted. I settled on the 14x14x.4 gel as i didnt want to spend too much especially since ive never used the stuff before.
Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114785906057?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
From reviews ive read i think it should be a great upgrade and if it winds up being not thick enough, i can try to combine it with the 1" foam that i already cut to size. This foam is very compacting and squeezes down flat so by itself its not a perfect solution but im sure replaced with the polyurethane or combined with it, it would be awesome.

5/31: Did the 500 oil change today.. so easy.. there was quite a bit of sludge/metal on the end of the drain plug that i cleaned off. The 2 strainers had very little amount of metal flakes. I replaced the paper filter with a mesh one and filled 2 qt Rotella 15w40 and i pleasantly noticed it clicked nicely into neutral when parking after a short test spin.

6/1: Loosenedd up the rear shock pre-load rings to allow more movement as the rear was stiff as a board before. Also loosed the chain a tad as it was too tight as well.

6/4: While riding today, i noticed a yellow wrench start flashing on my display and i had an o-s#$@ moment thinking it was the check engine. I later realized it must be a service light and called CSC to ask how to reset it.. pretty simple, with ignition on just hold the Select button and it should go away. The bike is at 650 miles btw.

6/5: Modified stock windscreen to add 1" height

Update:
6/7: Added momentary ABS-disable switch

Ordered this to try out and see if i can raise the windscreen further:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T2Z35PV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Based on measurement shown for the similar part for a newer CB500x it should use work with the new holes i drilled

6/9: Added CB500x windshield extension bars to raise windscreen to a total of 2-3" over stock height

6/12: Installed 14x14 gel pad in addition to 1" foam layer into seat

7/2: Final tweak to the seat.. end result: 2 14x14 (1cm each) gel pads plus 2 (1" each) foam pieces. I also loaded a few foam pieces under the front portion of the seat between the plastic tray and the stock foam to raise and level the seat. It's now as good as it can get and very comfortable.

8/20: Sold.. Plan to replace with a cruiser

pyoungbl
03-30-2021, 02:33 PM
Note that there is an active RX4 thread over at AdvRider.....you will see familiar names as well as some new ones.

culcune
03-30-2021, 02:36 PM
Note that there is an active RX4 thread over at AdvRider.....you will see familiar names as well as some new ones.

Out of curiosity, do they have an active RX3 thread? I can still see that bike filling in a niche, not to mention CSC sold quite a few of them over the years.

Working_ZS
03-30-2021, 02:52 PM
Out of curiosity, do they have an active RX3 thread? I can still see that bike filling in a niche, not to mention CSC sold quite a few of them over the years.

Yes, search for "*CSC 250 RX-3 Cyclone" and it will pop up. Currently the third link down on a DDG search query.

Working_ZS
03-30-2021, 03:14 PM
I just ordered my new 2021 Sapphire Blue CSC RX4 and will utilize this thread to post pictures and any developments during the process..

Ordering Process: called CSC and ordered via the phone

Delivery Estimate: 6-8 weeks (OUCH!)

Format: completely as stock, no add-on's. I researched the need for an ABS-defeat switch and realized that its most likely not a necessity for the light off-roading that i may encounter. I also didn't think id be needed the large aluminum skid plate but will order that with free shipping if i think i may need it later.

Cost: $5395 delivered

Insurance Quote: $230/ full coverage per year ($50/ded comp/coll)

I'm excited about this bike as it will be my first true adventure bike, the Brozz is better at dual-sport work, and i will probably just use it to ride local dirt/gravel with my son until he's ready to move from the Tao DBX1 to the Brozz and then i'll already have the RX4 to ride with him.

Maintenance Plans:
Oil change at 500 miles
Valve adjust at 5000 miles
Everything else as shown in maint schedule: i doubt this bike will need a tear down as extensive as i did with the Brozz and/or performance mods

Mod Plans: i don't plan much at this time, but ofcourse time will tell. As of now the only thing i can think of is to add a cell phone mount

Usage: i plan to use this bike almost extensively for touring with occasional dirt/gravel roads. It will serve as my primary do-it-all bike and especially serve the needs where the Brozz doesn't shine, ie.. highway and long-distance touring.

I will add pictures and more when it eventually arrives.. counting the days..

Adventure Awaits :)

*edit*: ugh did i really just forget to capitalize the thread title (face palm)

Congratulations on the new RX4!

Owning one myself I know that you will be pleased with the bike and its capabilities; it's definitely a step up from your Brozz - several steps actually. The RX4 will do what you want as far as gravel, fire roads, and touring (both single and two-up) go, without issue. Depending on your back side, I would consider adding the Seat Concepts upgrade seat with the firmer foam to the bike. Also, I recommend adding the aluminum switch housing, either single or dual (I have the dual), plus the necessary switches, for the Accessory circuits to your order so that you can conveniently control anything electrical that you add via those circuits. The ones that CSC sells are light years ahead of anything that you will be able to source yourself; they look OEM when installed on the bike. Apart from those things, I can't see anything else that your RX4 would need. The 2021 already has tubeless wheels and three piece luggage stock, so you are covered there. Now you just have to be patient and wait for it to arrive, which is pretty much the hardest part.

tknj99
03-30-2021, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys!

@pyoungbl: yeap i registered on ADVrider and posted in the new member section last nite @Working_ZS: thanks for that info, i will inquire on the switch housing.. i placed my order yesterday but maybe not too late still

Biker_Andy
03-30-2021, 06:32 PM
That new TFT Display looks pretty wicked too

tknj99
04-01-2021, 05:09 PM
That new TFT Display looks pretty wicked too

Yea really looking forward to it.. will be the most hi-tech bike i've ever had :lol:

SGCSCRX3
04-02-2021, 07:21 AM
Yes the new screen looks great. Look forward to hear how you like the new bike.

Chris_Top_Her
04-04-2021, 02:17 AM
Which insurer gave you this rate?

tknj99
04-04-2021, 06:58 AM
Which insurer gave you this rate?

Safeco

tknj99
04-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Yay! Just got the haulbikes confirmation today:

Estimated Delivery Date Between:
Pick Up and 27.Apr.2021

If that is accurate then it is a 4-week wait time vs the 6-8 weeks that they initially forecast

tknj99
04-14-2021, 10:02 AM
It looks like CSC just added a $150 shipping fee to new orders.. glad i ordered prior to that, every bit helps :)

Samurai
04-18-2021, 09:46 AM
I did bought mine few days ago. I did pay for the shipping but still is a lot bike for the money. Estimated drop of date is May 14. I can’t wait. I currently have 2012 NC700 Dct for almost 9 years with 68000 miles. It’s great bike for commuting. But I do miss the clutch and need something with more ground clearance and cheap so I could beat the shit out it.

Falkon45
04-18-2021, 02:33 PM
All of these are making me really want to order one now. Let me do more maintenance on the KPM, then get ready to list it for sale. Lol.

culcune
04-18-2021, 02:51 PM
All of these are making me really want to order one now. Let me do more maintenance on the KPM, then get ready to list it for sale. Lol.

As 'sexy' as the new CSC bikes are, I would think the RX4 is a better all around bike than either of the two new ones.

srsmith
04-18-2021, 07:06 PM
Hi all. I just bought the RX4 Friday. Steve in Atlanta

tknj99
04-18-2021, 07:40 PM
Welcome! Glad to see more enthusiasts discovering the RX4, another week and mine should be here, can't wait!

Falkon45
04-19-2021, 07:54 AM
Hi all. I just bought the RX4 Friday. Steve in Atlanta

Woo hoo! Another Georgian!

tknj99
04-19-2021, 10:12 AM
One other comment with regard to RX4 information... although the ADVRider.com is another great outlet for information, and it does have some RX4 info, it is limited to only 1 thread with 64 pages.. I think this site is a much better platform for posting reviews, information, modifications, etc. as they would be lost in the mix on the other site.

srsmith
04-20-2021, 02:18 PM
Woo hoo! Another Georgian!

Stone Mountain :tup:

Working_ZS
04-20-2021, 07:45 PM
As 'sexy' as the new CSC bikes are, I would think the RX4 is a better all around bike than either of the two new ones.

I agree about the RX4 being better all around, however I think that the thing with the 400 twins is that they are designed to appeal to someone not wanting a tall, heavy do all ADV; instead, they're for someone who just wants something unique to ride around town on, or attend a bike night on, while not riding the same thing as everyone else. Which I think these both fit the bill on nicely, especially the SG400, since currently there is no small displacement parallel twin cafe racer style bike available from anyone, apart from CSC and Zongshen. The Haylon has competition in the Kawasaki Z400, but it undercuts it on price while still being better equipped, having dual front disc brakes to the Z400's single rotor. Either way, it's hard to go wrong with one or the other of these CSC 400 cc bikes if you know that you do not want an ADV, and/or you need more than the 26" seat height and 16 HP of the SG250.

I'd like the cost to be less, but after six years I think that CSC and Zongshen have established the fact that their bikes are on par, or better, with what the Europeans and Japanese are releasing at slightly higher price points, and are worth what is being asked for them.

Falkon45
04-20-2021, 09:31 PM
Stone Mountain :tup:

That's awesome! I have family out there! I'm out in Savannah.

tknj99
04-22-2021, 01:59 PM
Just checked with CSC re: paperwork and she said it will send out as soon as the bike is picked up.. kinda bummed to find that it hasnt been picked up yet as i had assumed it was since the haulbikes invoice stated a delivery of 4/27.. Oh well. More waiting to go..
She mentioned that there are 12 RX4's pending pickup.. sounds like they are selling pretty well

Working_ZS
04-22-2021, 10:50 PM
Just checked with CSC re: paperwork and she said it will send out as soon as the bike is picked up.. kinda bummed to find that it hasnt been picked up yet as i had assumed it was since the haulbikes invoice stated a delivery of 4/27.. Oh well. More waiting to go..
She mentioned that there are 12 RX4's pending pickup.. sounds like they are selling pretty well

Not too surprised, as it is the start of riding season; everyone and their brother is buying a bike and having it shipped. Don't worry, once it starts moving, it will move quickly.

I'm also not surprised by the sales volume at CSC. They've got great product and a great reputation for supporting their customers, which makes them the go-to choice for a lot of people who are interested in a Chinese motorcycle. I've bought four so far, and I have no complaints whatsoever.

srsmith
04-23-2021, 10:57 PM
One is mine. :clap:
Also bough a Lifan Xpect today. 2020 with 21 mies.

tknj99
04-24-2021, 06:21 AM
One is mine. :clap:
Also bough a Lifan Xpect today. 2020 with 21 mies.

Did your haulbikes email have a delivery date listed?

srsmith
04-25-2021, 04:16 AM
Did your haulbikes email have a delivery date listed?

No. I'm guessing late June.

tknj99
04-25-2021, 06:47 AM
Geez I hope it doesn't take that long! I just notification that they picked the bike up yesterday from CSC but no delivery date listed �

pyoungbl
04-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Having bought a TT250, RX3 and RX4 from CSC I'll venture to speculate a bit. The first two bikes were significantly smaller than the RX4. They were shipped in CSC built crates and had a cardboard outer cover and could be moved around with a forklift or pallet jack. In fact, delivery to my house was with a lift gate and pallet jack. The RX4 was delivered by Haulbikes in a custom built motorcycle hauler trailer. When the 4 rolled off the trailer it was ready to go. I could have ridden it home.

All this means Haulbikes is a motorcycle specific shipping service. They will have lots of bikes from either private sellers, dealers, or a distributor like CSC. Also, Haulbikes has fewer trucks making multiple stops along the way. That translates into slower delivery, particularly to the East Coast. Being a niche shipper I think Haulbikes has less chance of damage in transit. You also avoid uncrating and then figuring out what to do with the debris. It just makes delivery take longer. Think of this as waiting for Santa...it's worth the wait, painful as that may be.

srsmith
05-06-2021, 06:04 PM
Geez I hope it doesn't take that long! I just notification that they picked the bike up yesterday from CSC but no delivery date listed �

Just got email saying May 13-15. Was expecting late June. Maybe they are speeding up delivery service?

tknj99
05-06-2021, 08:02 PM
Happy times are soon upon us! I also received the email stating May 10th - 12th :)

Working_ZS
05-08-2021, 09:57 PM
Happy times are soon upon us! I also received the email stating May 10th - 12th :)

Good news. Like I said earlier, once the bikes actually start moving, they move quick. You'll be riding it soon, instead of just talking about riding it. The former is infinitely preferable to the latter.:tup:

DavidInMaine
05-10-2021, 12:51 AM
Every time I see that there is a new post in this thread I get excited because I think you finally got your bike.

I’m living vicariously through you at the moment...

srsmith
05-10-2021, 06:12 PM
When you get your bike give us a full report! :clap:

srsmith
05-11-2021, 10:34 AM
Just received email saying my bike delayed a week.

TxTaoRider
05-11-2021, 11:10 AM
Sure they're saying "May xx" but are they saying what year? Lol

pyoungbl
05-11-2021, 11:27 AM
Virginia has annual safety inspections on vehicles. Mine is due on the RX4. This was my first ride in months....you know, Covid stuff. Man, what a delightful machine. She fired right up and everything about the bike was that snick-snick you usually associate with high end machinery. Those who are awaiting delivery...hang in there, it will be worth the wait!

tknj99
05-12-2021, 08:07 AM
Happy to report that i received the call from Haul Bikes last nite and the bike will indeed be delivered today around noon.. pictures forthcoming.. stay tuned :)

Insured: $230/yr Full coverage/$100 ded via Safeco

tknj99
05-12-2021, 07:18 PM
Updated first post with new pics.... took her for an initial 50 mile ride... very smooth, i can tell right away she'll make an excellent touring bike..

Added Initial Impressions/Review to first post

srsmith
05-12-2021, 08:29 PM
Awesome! Touring is my main interest. No problem starting? They cant get to my house, so need to meet them elsewhere. What is break-in mileage? Enjoy
ps/edît, just noticed your running first post. thx

Falkon45
05-12-2021, 09:17 PM
Man, seeing this pics really makes me want to hurry up and get one.

tknj99
05-12-2021, 09:32 PM
Awesome! Touring is my main interest. No problem starting? They cant get to my house, so need to meet them elsewhere. What is break-in mileage? Enjoy
ps/edît, just noticed your running first post. thx

Nope.. the driver mentioned it had been on the truck for 2 weeks, started right up easily.. I had CSC add a battery pigtail and im keeping her connected to the tender anytime im not riding.

Break-in should be done by the 500 mile mark and thats when ill also change the oil

srsmith
05-13-2021, 12:10 AM
Nope.. the driver mentioned it had been on the truck for 2 weeks, started right up easily.. I had CSC add a battery pigtail and im keeping her connected to the tender anytime im not riding.

Break-in should be done by the 500 mile mark and thats when ill also change the oil

DavidInMaine
05-13-2021, 09:18 AM
Very nice.

pyoungbl
05-13-2021, 09:56 AM
When HaulBike delivered my bike the driver called to arrange the actual delivery time/place. It was later in the day and he had another bike to drop off about 10 miles away. I offered to meet him at that location so I could get the bike well before dark, he agreed and it went perfectly. Bike started right up, had about 1/2 tank of fuel so I could easily ridden it 100 miles or so. Bottom line, the drivers will work with you on delivery but they do have a huge rig that could limit where they can deliver.

tknj99
05-13-2021, 10:55 AM
Added pics of the TFT display to main post

tknj99
05-13-2021, 10:59 AM
Also.. noticed that the chain seemed a bit tight, im measuring about 1/2" free play and as its a heavy chain requires you to man handle it a bit to measure slack.. CSC recommends 1 inch so i asked them if they set as is to allow for it to loosen up during break-in or whether i should adjust now.. I know they go over the bikes before shipment so curious if its like that for a reason or they just missed that step.. will report back.

tknj99
05-13-2021, 03:10 PM
Update on TFT display changing colors as per CSC:

One other question if you dont mind.. I noticed that the screen alternates between Orange and White, Is that normal or can it be made to stay on one color?
• It is normal for the dash to change colors depending on light conditions. If you look closely on the lower left hand side of the dash, there is a circular light sensor.
• The TFT dash is new to us this year on the RX-4. Thank you for your understanding, as we too are learning all its functions and features. As far as I know, you cannot select a color and have it stay constant, but I will inquire about this from the factory.

tknj99
05-13-2021, 03:35 PM
Re: Chain (from CSC)

If you just took delivery of your bike, we do set the chains on the tight side. Drive chains experience quite of a bit of initial stretch in the first few rides which will require frequent chain adjustment. After about 100 miles you find that frequency decrease.

srsmith
05-16-2021, 12:07 PM
Bike arrived. 3 weeks, and four days early. Sweet ride. Plenty of power. Brakes a little soft in rear, but no problem. Was curious about clutch after many reports on other forum, but it's easy and smooth compared to my old Kawasaki KLX250, and the reach is fine, even though my hands are average size. I'm 5'10" and can't flat foot both feet, but again compared to the KLX its fine. Bike is heavy compared to my previous ones, but not top heavy and tippy like the KLX, even though that's supposed to have a low enter of gravity. And I bought it for touring so the weight will be good on the highway. I'll get plates tomorrow and will give an update soon. Cheers

tknj99
05-16-2021, 06:09 PM
Nice! Which color? Put up a pic if able :)

tknj99
05-17-2021, 05:41 PM
Glad we all recently bought when we did, looks like both RX4 colors are sold out with pre-order for August

tknj99
05-18-2021, 08:11 AM
Just ordered a windshield extender and comfort grips.. The extender should help a bit with the wind buffeting and allow me to ride with my visor open without worry of buggy eyes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081QZL2WY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JNKBFK9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hunnicutt
05-18-2021, 09:06 AM
tknj99: Thank you for starting this thread, posting pictures, and updating it frequently.

My wife and I received our TT250's in late October 2020 and our endorsements in November. Motorcycles are like potato chips. You can't have just one. I'm seriously considering adding a RX4 to our stable. The bike is beautiful!!! My wife already knows the value of CSC: parts availability, service tutorials, tech videos, and easy access to the amazing service department. This thread is helping me add to the growing pile of reasons why the RX-4 is an ideal addition. :)

tknj99
05-18-2021, 09:39 AM
Always glad to help! Its shaping up to be a great bike and i look forward to some nice touring in the near future once i pass the break-in period.

tknj99
05-19-2021, 05:43 PM
2. This seat is pretty hard! im hoping it softens up else ill have to look into a cushion.. suggestions welcome
3. I noticed i can put my legs up onto the crash guards as a makeshift highway peg, probably a bit goofy lol but it works
5. Windscreen extender arriving soon
6. Seat beads (to try and see if it helps) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YXC919/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Alternate purchase made to compare and will settle on which of the two products works better:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F9X2W7B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
7. Throttle lock: had this on a past bike and proved useful plus at this price its practically free - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QN526DR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

srsmith
05-21-2021, 06:07 PM
Nice! Which color? Put up a pic if able :)

Yellow/gold. I'm going through a Hi-Viz phase. Rode 200 miles the other day. Very nice on highway, plenty of power, but still wouldn't want to cruise much above 65 mph. Must be getting old. :p My first bike was a new 1969 Kawasaki 500, Mach III. Sure was fun to leave the muscle cars in a disappearing cloud of blue smoke, but I digress.

So far only curiosity is the bike has a mpg indictor that can veer from 40 to 120 mpg without much change in conditions. Appears a work in progress. Concur on the hard seat. Figure I'll grow calluses then all's well. All in all, I'm extremely happy by what I see in this bike. Seems like a quality product. It's tight and wants to get up and GO. Some have mentioned a too sensitive throttle, but it just wants to run fast. I had good training back in the day with the rocket 2-cycles. My Mach III would come up with a jolt on the throttle at mid-high rpms. For any not familiar with that bike, google it. It revolutionized fast street bikes.

In a couple of weeks I plan to do a 1500 mile trip. I'll do the 500 mile tune before then including valves. Pics coming. Cheers

ps. This bike sells for $1700 in Indonesia. The RX6 is coming soon with a "Norton 650 twin". Hope to get for for Indonesia. I live there six months each year, but because of covid I haven't been able to return since March 2020.

tknj99
05-21-2021, 06:39 PM
A few more observations:
1. This thing is great on gas, have been averaging 67-69mpg.. I've been keeping her under 6k and not full throttling so that may go down later
2. A bit loud under load.. I'm actually surprised that the stock exhaust is on the louder side, contrasting to the Brozz which was like a whisper.. It's not necessarily bad but under load, ie throttled up an incline, gives a resonating tone inside the full helmet, not really noticeable though with the half helmet
3. Handling is great, I can go around most twisties without braking and have little worry about scraping a peg.. I'm still learning the bike so not pushing too far, but im happy
4. Tires are very street oriented and smooth on road..i may test off road and see how she grips a hill out of curiosity

tknj99
05-21-2021, 06:40 PM
Update: received and tested the beads.. all i can say is.. kinda weird.. sometimes they vibrate lol but dont seem to help much with comfort although since positioned towards the front, it seems to make the seat more flat so thats a plus.. waiting on the air cushion, i suspect that should be better than the beads.

tknj99
05-21-2021, 07:34 PM
Very nice on highway, plenty of power, but still wouldn't want to cruise much above 65 mph. Must be getting old. :p

Interesting you didnt find it good on the highway.. perhaps too buzzy im guessing.. I wear earbuds when i ride so that helps with noise, I found it to be very comfortable on the highway doing 70-75. I recently added a throttle lock, that will come in useful im certain for long stretches.

Falkon45
05-21-2021, 11:52 PM
2. This seat is pretty hard! im hoping it softens up else ill have to look into a cushion.. suggestions welcome
6. Seat beads (to try and see if it helps) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079YXC919/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does the high seat actor as a comfort seat? If not, there is a company that makes gel inserts. It's expensive, though

tknj99
05-22-2021, 11:18 AM
Took a short ride today, so much fun.. and i can gladly say that this bike is Costco-grocery getter approved ;)

tknj99
05-23-2021, 06:53 PM
Update: Received and installed the air cushion. Inflated to about 60-70% and installed it so that it sat closer towards the front so as to level out the seat. Additionally i added thick double-sided tape pieces to the bottoms of the front rubber legs to sit slightly higher. After a short test ride its definitely an improvement over stock. I plan to take a longer ride and then see how they do as well.

Hunnicutt
05-24-2021, 08:23 AM
#2: https://airhawk.net/product-category/seat-cushions/

Pick the size that fits your seat.

I use my TT250 to make the 250 mile round trip to my 10 acre ranch. (Yes, I'm insane - that's why I want a RX4!!!) I installed an Airhawk Dual Sport Seat Cushion to reduce some of the vibration and ease the fatigue. It takes some getting used to. Also takes some miles to determine how much to inflate it. There's a Goldilocks zone that provides just enough cushion and still helps you to stay connected to the bike. Too much air and it feels like you're sitting on a whoopee cushion!! I got mine from Cycle Gear. It was worth every nickel!!!

#7: I bought a Cramp Buster. It also takes some time to get accustomed to the change in throttle activation, but it has saved me additional carpal tunnel pain on long rides.

tknj99
05-27-2021, 07:15 PM
Update: not happy with the air cushion.. it helps but is awkward and adds too much height to the seat and it just looks damn ugly..

So.. i decided to take matters into my own hands, poor man style.. i had some foam lying around, cut it to guesstimated size, carefully removed staples from one side and positioned it under the seat cover and later stapled back up.. never did anything like that before but it was surprisingly easier than i had imagined. It leveled out the seat and definitely feels more comfortable. After doing this and learning the ropes, i decided to go one step further and order the real deal gel cushion polyurethane that can be cut to size and inserted. I settled on the 14x14x.4 gel as i didnt want to spend too much especially since ive never used the stuff before.
Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114785906057?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
From reviews ive read i think it should be a great upgrade and if it winds up being not thick enough, i can try to combine it with the 1" foam that i already cut to size. This foam is very compacting and squeezes down flat so by itself its not a perfect solution but im sure replaced with the polyurethane or combined with it, it would be awesome.
Let me know what you guys think.. pics attached

tknj99
05-29-2021, 06:38 PM
Update: easy hack to help make the seat more level

As you guys know, the RX4 stock seat (and even aftermarket one i read) has a lean forward to it which isnt the most comfortable. I found a simple way to help make it less of a forward lean.
1. Remove rear seat
2. Remove front seat
3. Remove two rubber nubs from the rear seat bottom. I removed the ones in the rear. You will notice that these nubs are about 25% longer than the front seat nubs
4. Remove two rubber nubs from the front seat bottom
5. Insert the longer rubber nubs into the front seat bottom holes by twisting them into place
6. Insert the shorter rubber nubs into the rear seat bottom holes by twisting them into place
7. Carefully position the front seat so that the plastic piece slides into its housing, you may need to wiggle on it a bit as it will be tougher to position now but you can do it easily. Tighten seat bolts
8. Re-insert rear seat

This alone wont fix it completely but it helps. I have also inserted some foam inside the bottom hole under the seat to force it to be more level as well.

If you compare the before and after seat pic youll notice that the new position is about even with the tank line while the before pic it was about 1/2" or so recessed

Hope this helps anyone interested..

tknj99
05-30-2021, 06:03 PM
Coming up on 500 miles soon and will do the first oil change. What is the consensus on valves? CSC/manual shows first check at 5000 miles but i read a comment or two on youtube that someone checked early on, around the 500 mile mark and they were tight.
When did you guys check the valves and were they tight? Should i plan to do them soon or ok to wait?
Thanks

franque
05-30-2021, 10:48 PM
Just check them, it can't hurt anything.

tknj99
05-31-2021, 06:24 PM
Did the 500 oil change today.. so easy.. there was quite a bit of sludge/metal on the end of the drain plug that i cleaned off. The 2 strainers had very little amount of metal flakes. I replaced the paper filter with a mesh one and filled 2 qt Rotella 15w40 and i pleasantly noticed it clicked nicely into neutral when parking after a short test spin.

Also.. in case anyone winds up getting the mesh filter, mine came with a rubber gasket on both ends and the one that goes into the engine first has an extension.. i was concerned it wouldnt work or id need to cut the extension off, but i was able to insert it with no issues and then tighten down the spring loaded cover..

srsmith
05-31-2021, 08:53 PM
Interesting you didnt find it good on the highway.. perhaps too buzzy im guessing.. I wear earbuds when i ride so that helps with noise, I found it to be very comfortable on the highway doing 70-75. I recently added a throttle lock, that will come in useful im certain for long stretches.

Getting old. I've been going at 70 this week. Still feel safer at 65. Lock would be nice. I've got arthritis in both thumbs from jamming them dozens of times in sports. I just worry I would lose focus. No phone or music either. No fun ya.

It's great on highway. Today I got on it first time in town maybe in 3rd about 5500rpm to 7500 in a second. SERIOUS juice for a 450 thumper. Great bike.

Keep posting. Good stuff!

tknj99
06-01-2021, 11:41 AM
Update: loosed up the rear shock pre-load rings to allow more movement as the rear was stiff as a board before. Also loosed the chain a tad as it was too tight as well.

tknj99
06-02-2021, 08:16 AM
Riding yesterday on some gravel on a decline and the ABS kicked in, caused me to travel further than i wanted to with a stop soon approaching. Made me think i probably should have bought the ABS disable switch which the bike was at the dealer. So if i buy the switch now or a similar switch on Amazon, does anyone know how it gets wired up? Thanks

Hunnicutt
06-02-2021, 02:44 PM
I don't know how to wire in the switch. When I get stuck, I call CSC and ask for the service department. I'm pretty sure the guy I talked to when I needed help with my valve lash clearance is Scott. He'd in the process of updating all the tech documents fr the motorcycles. If he doesn't know, Joey D does. He is absolutely awesome! He can answer all of your questions.

DavidInMaine
06-04-2021, 06:36 PM
So now that you’ve had it for a bit, what’s your opinion on it as far as a sort of do-it-all bike? Is it capable enough to ride two-up over the interstate? How is it for a daily commuter?

tknj99
06-04-2021, 07:19 PM
So now that you’ve had it for a bit, what’s your opinion on it as far as a sort of do-it-all bike? Is it capable enough to ride two-up over the interstate? How is it for a daily commuter?

I just broke out of the break-in period and am at around 650 miles. Having opened her up and rode on a 70mph stretch of highway, she is more than capable.. i find that it cruises comfortably over 70mph.. I haven't done much 2-up but i suspect it'd be fine for that, perhaps rev out the gears a bit more than when solo. With that said, i think itd be a capable daily commuter as well and the hard boxes hold quite a bit, ie.. dont be afraid to do a Costco run lol

Since it is ADV and can do offroad as well, it beats out a cruise bike if you can only have one do-it-all bike.. otherwise, i think the ideal would be a cruise bike since it'd be more comfortable loping around on the highway with rpm's and torque down low.. and pair that with a dual sport or ADV.
When my son eventually inherits my Brozz, ill probably use the RX4 for more off-road work and then pick up a cruise bike for comfort touring.

Hope that helps

tknj99
06-04-2021, 07:23 PM
While riding today, i noticed a yellow wrench start flashing on my display and i had an o-s#$@ moment thinking it was the check engine. I later realized it must be a service light and called CSC to ask how to reset it.. pretty simple, with ignition on just hold the Select button and it should go away. The bike is at 650 miles btw.

tknj99
06-04-2021, 07:41 PM
Another observation: i notice that when wearing my full helmet the exhaust tends to reverberate inside the helmet and its generally noisy. Also, with the visor down it gets rather hot due to the windshield. I find that wearing my half-helmet (DOT) its much more comfortable, less noise and overall a better experience.. Anyone else notice this?

DavidInMaine
06-04-2021, 07:49 PM
I have a highway bike already. It’s just that it’s big and heavy, and I find that I don’t care for riding it in the city. So I’ve been thinking a small adv might be nice. Been looking at the RX4, Himalaya, Honda C500X, and KTM 390 Adventure. I lean towards the CSC be cause of all it comes with for less money.

tknj99
06-04-2021, 08:07 PM
It will definitely fit the bill then for you.. it definitely punches above its belt for the price and performs well enough. The only negatives that i've noticed are as follows:
1. The stock seat sucks! Either get the aftermarket one CSC sells for it or do what i have done and plan on unstapling the cover and inserting gel padding inside
2. The ECU could use a tune to work out some of the off/on throttle uneasiness it has. Which leads me to #3
3. There is little to no aftermarket for the bike.. no tunes, no fuel controllers, etc. You'd be hard pressed to even find Zongshen in a drop-down list of bikes

And then after mentioning those things, i am forced to remember how much i paid for the bike, and that they are minor quibbles in the end.

tknj99
06-04-2021, 10:27 PM
Didn't find this in online searches so in case it helps anyone else, to wire up the ABS disable, you remove the 2 bolts where the ignition is and then you'll see three clips, the one with the green and orange wires is for ABS.
To connect to it you can either buy the A1/A2 Female Connector that CSC sells for $3 plus $6 shipping or you can cut the wires and connect up with solder/connectors.
As per CSC, it doesn't matter the order you connect these 2 wires to the wires on the button you purchase and i believe the extra wire for lighting wont work but CSC mentioned that a momentary button should be more effective vs a switch... I just ordered this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082F2JX2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It should come in handy the next time im running around the loose gravel or steep declines.

tknj99
06-05-2021, 07:23 PM
Add an Inch where it Counts:

I wanted a little more height to the windscreen and didn't really like those add on the top extenders very much so decided to see what can be done with the stock windscreen. I came up with the following and i think it worked out quite well. This adds one inch to the height of the stock windscreen and looks factory:

1. Remove stock windscreen
2. Hold the stock windscreen above the existing holes in the metal so that you can see metal behind the holes where new holes will be drilled
3. Insert a marker into the holes in the windscreen to mark the metal where you will be drilling
4. Using a 3/16" drill bit carefully drill thru each mark
5. Go back thru each hole with the bit to slightly enlarge each hole and then insert the screw into the hole until you can rethread the hole and seat the screw
6. Replace the windscreen and insert the screws

Let me know what you think

tknj99
06-07-2021, 04:07 PM
Update:
6/7: Added momentary ABS-disable switch

Ordered this to try out and see if i can raise the windscreen further:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T2Z35PV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Based on measurement shown for the similar part for a newer CB500x it should use work with the new holes i drilled

tknj99
06-09-2021, 04:07 PM
Update: Added another 2" to the stock windscreen height and now have a total of 3" over stock height.

In a previous post, i wrote up instructions to drill new holes to raise the windscreen 1". The following instructions are in addition to that process:

1. Order the CB500x windscreen extender here ($22):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T2Z35PV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

2. Mount the extension bars using the top holes previously drilled in the stock windscreen support brackets. Use the short screws provided with the kit and find nuts laying around in your toolbox. Tighten so that the bars don't move
3. Line up the windscreen so that the bottom holes will align with the bars. This step enables you to move the bars slightly as needed so that everything lines up
4. Drill 2 new 9/16" holes into the support bracket thru the bottom support holes. Tighten using the short screws provided in the kit.
5. With the bars mounted, you will now affix the windscreen. You will need to locate longer screws, washers and nuts for this step.

Took her for a spin and wind protection is so much better now! All in $22, well worth the price of admission!

The bars allow some adjustment between 2" and 3" total height.. the last 2 pics show at 3" height and then 2" height

tknj99
06-10-2021, 06:13 PM
Some additional observations:
Went for a nice fairly long ride today split between highway and twisty backroads..
Power/Handling:
The RX4 has just enough power not to get you in trouble.. on tight twisty roads you can swoop thru them and then accelerate out hard right before leaning into the next curve.. on a bike with 100+ hp, we have the tendency to twist it out and then brake hard on the next curve and if we are overzealous, wind up coming in hot and go too far over and have to correct hard. The RX4 is just right, it has a fully usable powerband for these situations.
Accelerating onto a highway is adequate and enough to get you flowing traffic quick enough.. here is where that 100+ hp is nice, but again probably overkill, and before you know it you're at triple digits and fearing for cops..
Again, the RX4 is just right, not too fast and not too slow, a nice balance.

Noise/Wind:
After raising the windscreen (currently at 2" over stock) the wind protection is great, although i have found that due to what the consensus seems to point to as intake noise under heavy throttle, i prefer using my half-helmet instead of full so that i dont get the drone in my helmet. I see some posts on this where someone remedied the RX3 intake which i assume is the same or close to the RX4 intake, and hopefully can get a how-to for remedying it.

Comfort:
Another gripe that i plan to fully remedy is the sucky seat.. which pushes you in a weird forward angle and is hard as a rock atleast to me. I've already added some thin foam and waiting on the 1/2" gel to arrive and then plan to attack it with the gel as well as foam to try to make the seat as level as possible.
As it is, i have found that sitting as far back as possible is the most comfortable for me..

tknj99
06-12-2021, 02:28 PM
Update: received 1/2" gel pad (14x14") and cut the edges towards the front at an angle following the contour of the seat and then installed the gel pad on top of the 1" foam i already had added. I also cut a 4"x6" foam pad and installed it under the stock seat foam towards the front to help level out the seat. With everything installed and buttoned up, the pad is noticeable but i dont care much about that.. Sitting on it feels much better than before.
I think we have a winner and cost was $20.. very nice!

tknj99
06-13-2021, 09:13 AM
Random thoughts: Getting to 10/10:

I think as delivered, the RX4 is a 7 out of 10 stars. Some easy and inexpensive fixes via extension of windshield, ABS disable and seat cushioning i posted about can get it to the 8 stars in my book. To make this bike even better and reach that 10 out of 10, i'd say two things are needed:
+1 star: increased suspension travel/better suspension. Although i havent put the bike thru her paces offroad, from what i've read from others this point is relevant
+1 star: ECU tuning or piggyback module to eke out some more power and smooth out the rough spots in the off/on throttle delivery

tknj99
06-16-2021, 06:21 PM
First issue: 930 mi. Was riding into town when i stepped on the rear brake and noticed it was a bit mushy.. Pressed a few more times and nothing, rear brake no longer working and smoke coming off the bottom exhaust skid plate. Pulled over and noticed the rear brake resevoir at the low mark. I rode back home using front brake only and then removed the side cover to have a closer look. When pressing down on the rear brake i can see and hear fluid shooting out of the connection point shown in the pic (circled in red). I assume this is the ABS controller. I left a message for a tech at CSC and curious what the next steps may be. I did remove the 2 bolts holding this unit to the engine and thought perhaps the nut was loose but it wont budge..
Any thoughts while i wait.. thanks

duck9191
06-17-2021, 08:20 AM
abs module. you can try loosening the nut, make sure the line is square, and retighten but the flair on the line might be damaged which will cause a leak.

tknj99
06-17-2021, 09:26 AM
Thanks, i just spoke with Scott at CSC yesterday and he mentioned he has a new customer bike he was taking for a test ride that has the same exact issue, inner nut closest to shock leaking just like mine.. they are diagnosing the issue but he mentioned that he tried exactly that and tightened it as much as could be and it still was leaking. So perhaps it may need a new fitting, he said they will determine best resolution and let me know. Perhaps its something that will affect the batch of RX4's that have gone out recently.

duck9191
06-17-2021, 09:37 AM
the line might have a misformed flair or they were bent wrong and damaged in installations. Hopefully, it's an easy fix when they get it figured out. The only issue I can see is purging the abs module, not sure if they have an easy to trigger a purge cycle or if you would have to put it on a stand and trick it.

tknj99
06-17-2021, 10:11 AM
Gotcha.. ive never dealt with abs before so its all new to me.. i have no issues doing a bleed/fill using my oil extractor under suction pressure at the bleed nipple while adding new fluid at the resevoir... hopefully that would be adequate once the abs piece is fixed

duck9191
06-17-2021, 10:51 AM
If any air entered the abs module it needs to be bled too, normally you can do it either with a programmer/pc to cycle it a few times, or put it on a stand and try to trick it by spinning one wheel but not the other to make it think it's locked. Maybe that module has another way to cycle, but I'm sure CSC will tell you once they have it figured out.

The last time I had to do an abs bleed was in my jeep. Didn't want to pay the Chrysler dealer $200+ so I just found a snow cover parking lot and kept jamming on the brakes lol. It worked, it was fun, and it was free.

tknj99
06-17-2021, 11:38 AM
While i await next steps on the ABS leak, i decided to add another layer of 1" foam to my seat to increase comfort further and smooth out the appearance.. now its 1" foam + 1/2" gel pad + 1" foam on top and then a 1" foam piece folded and sandwiched under the stock foam towards the front and this levels the seat out better.

JerryHawk250
06-17-2021, 11:43 AM
More cush for the tush. :tup:

tknj99
06-21-2021, 10:19 AM
Took a nice long ride yesterday and got to test out the updates i made to the seat.. so much better.. i now can ride longer and am no longer as distracted by the uncomfort of the seat as before.. but, with that said, i guess i like to push the envelope sometimes.. i ordered another 1/2" gel pad and plan to attach to the one i have now and use a single 1" foam over them so that the creases dont show. This will most certainly make it as comfortable as possible for long distance, all-day riding..
Found a nice side road and explored during the ride, and it was a beautiful hill and windy road that later turned into a winding gravel road with hills.. well, if you recall, my rear brake is out, so i rode with front brake only.. its not an issue on paved road but becomes much more interesting when the road turns to gravel.. i had to go extra slow, in first gear and even in neutral, on a few of the gravel declines so as not to roll too fast but it was manageable..
What a fun ride.. just broke 1000 miles and other than the ABS issue, the bike is riding great! On my way back, i stopped for gas and ran across another rider who was on a Ural with a sidecar that had a fake machine gun affixed to it, so cool..had no idea that it wasnt an old bike, he informed me it was a 2015 and that they just keep making new bikes with the old design, although with fuel injection these days.
I look forward to reading some of the other reviews that will most certainly arise when others receive their bikes..

tknj99
06-21-2021, 12:46 PM
Spoke with CSC today and they are still diagnosing the issue but it seems to be affecting more bikes now.. in addition to the one they previously mentioned there is now another one in there shop that came from AZ that has a bunch of miles on it, so perhaps an older batch, same exact symptoms.. So it may wind up being something that potentially affects many or all '21 models as a recall type issue.

tknj99
06-22-2021, 01:37 PM
Update: received word back from CSC and they have determined the issue to be a bad flare fitting on the line from the ABS to the rear master cylinder and are shipping me a new line. In speaking with them about how to accomplish the bleed after replacing the line, i was told that suction on the rear nipple while adding fluid to the reservoir will accomplish the task without needing to cycle the ABS module. I should be able to do all of this fairly easily and will report back when complete. I also asked about the other lines in case they fail later down the line and was told i'd be covered as it may have been shoddy assembly/defect to blame.
I have attached a pic of the line i was told will be sent to me and a pic of a specialized tool i can get if needed, although i plan to use my open ended 12mm wrench and oil extractor for this job.

duck9191
06-22-2021, 02:17 PM
Harbor freight has those flair nut wrenchs and crows feet pretty cheap if you end up needing it.

tknj99
06-22-2021, 02:34 PM
Harbor freight has those flair nut wrenchs and crows feet pretty cheap if you end up needing it.

Thanks, yep, just saw them for $15.. ill plan on picking up a metric set.

tknj99
06-26-2021, 06:39 PM
Add flare nut repairer to my resume lol:

I received the part today and was able to remove the old assembly and install the new one. Two things I noticed during the install:

The sensor with 2 wires that attached at the rear brake to the banjo bolt starts twisting as I loosened the nut. I did my best to protect the wires so as not to get damaged but it was a bit hairy
The old flare nut was super tight. I did manage to finally remove it and then installed and snugged down the new flare nut to what I thought was tight enough and connected the rear banjo bolt section. Sadly the flare nut wrenches i bought were too thick (except for the rear banjo nut) and did not work so i had to use a regular 12mm open end wrench and was careful and it worked with no issues. Afterwards I bled the brakes via the suction method with my oil extractor while adding new fluid to the rear reservoir (alot of air came out). I then completed the install and took her for a ride and the rear brake worked perfectly and I did several panic stops to where the rear ABS engaged. I later checked the flare area and there was some fresh fluid. I dried it up and pumped the rear brake a few times and it was a bit wet again. So it tightened the flare further and since then it does appear to be staying dry after I went for another ride but I will keep an eye on it. On a side note, it was nice that even though I felt fresh fluid before the last tightening, no air entered the system and the brake still works perfectly.
Very happy to have my rear brakes back :)

zjbowman
06-26-2021, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all of the updates! I put a deposit on my RX4 a couple of weeks ago. My biggest question I have yet to receive an answer on is how fast can this thing really cruise at? Here in AZ, the average speed is about 85, and goes up from there. I don't need to go much more than 90 but I want to know it can, safely. Can anyone tell me what they've had their RX4 up to and how it felt at that speed? Thank you!

tknj99
06-26-2021, 10:14 PM
I had it up to 90 today and it was i think around 7k or so rpm.. I was close to an off ramp so didn't push more that., but sustained cruising at 80 is fine and it will sit around 6500. At 80 and up the biggest factors that will make you want to slow a bit will be wind buffeting and exhaust/intake noise. I like to stay around 75 on the highway leaving enough leftover to accelerate and pass fairly easily.. Hope that helps

tknj99
07-03-2021, 07:54 AM
Final tweak to the seat.. end result: 2 - 14x14 (1cm each) gel pads with plastic wrap removed on each edge so they stick together and stick to the stock cushion to prevent movement plus 2 - (1" each) foam pieces. I also loaded a few foam pieces under the front portion of the seat between the plastic tray and the stock foam to raise and level the seat. It's now as good as it can get and very comfortable.

srsmith
07-05-2021, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the excellent information everyone. Please keep it coming.

tknj99
08-21-2021, 11:18 AM
Just a quick update: sold my '21 RX4 yesterday to a local buyer who did his research and got a good deal in my opinion. Sold it for $4800 and it had 1500 miles. I'll be sticking with my Brozz 250 as my dual sport for now and then looking to replace the RX4 with a cruiser as my touring option.
The RX4 was fun for the few months i owned it but there were a few things that i could not get past that ultimately led me to the sale.. the seating position was uncomfortable for me oddly and put strain on my sciatic nerve while riding despite the comfort mods i did and second the power was just not enough for me.. i like to have some grunt on hand for passing and occasional spirited rides.. also.. the high-rpms at speed were not so comfortable.. a cruise bike (at least 1100cc) should be much more comfortable for long distance touring and cruising and the Brozz will suffice for any offroading days i plan for.. Thanks for the support and guidance through the process, it was much appreciated and I hope any posts/mods i posted help others.

Samurai
08-29-2021, 01:38 PM
Add flare nut repairer to my resume lol:

I received the part today and was able to remove the old assembly and install the new one. Two things I noticed during the install:

The sensor with 2 wires that attached at the rear brake to the banjo bolt starts twisting as I loosened the nut. I did my best to protect the wires so as not to get damaged but it was a bit hairy
The old flare nut was super tight. I did manage to finally remove it and then installed and snugged down the new flare nut to what I thought was tight enough and connected the rear banjo bolt section. Sadly the flare nut wrenches i bought were too thick (except for the rear banjo nut) and did not work so i had to use a regular 12mm open end wrench and was careful and it worked with no issues. Afterwards I bled the brakes via the suction method with my oil extractor while adding new fluid to the rear reservoir (alot of air came out). I then completed the install and took her for a ride and the rear brake worked perfectly and I did several panic stops to where the rear ABS engaged. I later checked the flare area and there was some fresh fluid. I dried it up and pumped the rear brake a few times and it was a bit wet again. So it tightened the flare further and since then it does appear to be staying dry after I went for another ride but I will keep an eye on it. On a side note, it was nice that even though I felt fresh fluid before the last tightening, no air entered the system and the brake still works perfectly.
Very happy to have my rear brakes back :)

I have the same issue yesterday on my adventure I almost hit tree coming down dirt road. This is recalled issue it affecting a lot RX4 owners. And top of that coming home my bike died in traffic light. The cause was weak battery, i mange to bump start the bike mange to get home. I’m not a happy camper. All happened same afternoon.

Samurai
09-08-2021, 03:56 PM
The CSC send me replacement part. I got it fix. Rear brake restored. I did few emergency stop, no brake fluids lost.

srsmith
10-04-2021, 10:55 PM
2021 RX4 Yellow, 700 miles, warranty, $4500. Love this bike but life is taking me off two wheels for awhile.

Bob Kelly
05-12-2022, 11:30 AM
on my 2021 RX4 (also blue) I noticed to move the windshield you have to unlock the bolts on both sides of the bracket then the knob will move it ! without doing that you can strip the threads of the adjusting bolt....
My bike is too tall for me so I lowered it front and rear 2" and also I discovered that the rear suspension is very stiff.... the spring in particular is very hard so I am in the process of putting in a lighter one....
My Altitude here is near 4000' ASL and my gas mileage is in the 40's to 50's in MPG
according to the dash... I replaced the foot pegs with the wider and longer real toothy ones that I got off Amazon , I put a pare like that on the Kids TT250 and I liked them so much I got them for my RX4 too...
2 things I hate about this bike... 1) the heavy weight. at 450lbs it should be 100lbs lighter ! ..... 2) the rear suspension is very very hard.... and so is the seat but I can live with the seat but the rear swingarm never moves ! I rode the bike for 120 miles with only 28 psi in the rear tire just so I could ride it.... other wise the ride is so rough it is no fun to ride it beats me to a pulp ! .... hopefully I will change that shortly.... we'll see
.....notice there is no sag when you sit on the bike ? that is totally WRONG they really screwed up there !!!!!!
and how the heck did you post pictures here ? it won't let me post a single picture because their too big !
Bob.....

Lukas
05-12-2022, 03:44 PM
For the second time I'm throwing you this link, download the free version, it doesn't have a time limit, it's forever, set the resolution to medium or so, which after conversion will give you a JPEG file size smaller than 195.3 KB and you can upload it.

https://icecreamapps.com/Image-Resizer/

pyoungbl
05-12-2022, 04:19 PM
Not a Windows guy but my iMac lets me re-size pretty easily. If 195K is the magic number at least I know how small I need to make the file. Thanks for the info.

Peter Y.

Bob Kelly
05-13-2022, 07:16 AM
What no complaints of NO sag and the rear is as hard as a rock ? I don't understand
are your butts made of steel or what ? maybe your roads are smoother but my bike rides like a truck any divot in the road is like Bamm and your ass comes off the seat...
the front is fine but the back of my 2021 RX4 is really hard ! did I just get an odd one or what ...
Bob.....