PDA

View Full Version : Ghost runs then don't.

Ghost Rider
04-10-2021, 01:10 PM
I'll have to go over and figure out the symptoms again and what I checked.. I've had trouble with it dying out of nowhere and not starting. I bought new it with 36 miles on it, it died at 50 miles, a few more times,, then 200, then 600 appx. I'll come back after it dies again and tell what I checked this time.
It died last ride of the season last fall, put battery on trickle charger tender all winter .. I got it out this spring. Still not starting. I took tank off, had fuel. Petcock was working and had gas in the clear filter and fuel going to carb.. It did this all last summer. It would run for 100's of miles like a charm. Out of nowhere it would die out. I don't remember if it had spark or not when dead.. It tends to turn over slowly, but always does. When it did, It would run for 1 second then quit again. engine temp does not seem to be a an issue. Some times it will die hot, other times it will run a 100 feet and die out after sitting cold.I took tank off then put the tank back on this spring and it started. It is running now, but who knows when it will die again. I adjusted valves best of my ability. the battery is crap which it seems that way but starts the bike. I will get another. I used to be good at bikes and symptoms would point to the problem. I'm getting older and not as good at mechanics. I think co-vid toasted my brain some. When it dies this time i will check spark. I must have last summer. I know the basics, spark, fuel, air, compression. I got it running, i live by a big hill, I just rode around for an hour where I could coast home. it would not die or even sputter. Maybe its CDI box. I always had older bikes with points. I love the bike, it has great gas mileage and saved my ass stopping on a dime last summer when a lady pulled out in front of me. It locked up and stopped great. If I had my 74 sportster I would have been toast. The brakes don't work as well. I also had a deer pop out a 4 am on a back road coming home from camping. Pre and early dawn is witching hour for deer, I know that much. Anyway there is a ghost in the machine. I'm afraid to go anywhere with it. I'm going out now to see what the multimeter says sitting and cranking. May be take carb off but looks like a pain to do so. Maybe just the float sticks? What else could it be? Must be a carb issue i guess.I will check spark when it dies again. ps. I also smacked cab a bit a few times to no avail thinking it was float sticking closed.

JerryHawk250
04-10-2021, 01:49 PM
Try removing the fuel filter. On my X22R it acted like a restriction in the fuel line and couldn't provide enough fuel to keep the bowl full. I would also pull the carb and give it a good clean of the jets. A lean idle mixture will also cause it to die when letting off the throttle.

krat
04-11-2021, 10:47 PM
You have two issues, treat them separately.

Your electrical issue is the stock battery. They die in mere weeks and will not take or hold a charge. Trash it and get a new one.

Your other issue is carburation. If you are getting gas up to the carb, and it runs sometimes and not other times, and especially if it runs a few seconds or minutes, your ghost is a sticky float or needle valve. Otherwise you could kick start it or push start it.

Yep, you are going to have to get out wrenches and make your hands smell like gasoline. Taking the carb off is removing two bolts and the clamp screw. You will have to take off the side panels on the body, but just take them off and leave them off until you get it sorted.

Blow out that channel that feeds the bowl and check the seat on the needle valve, make sure the float is operating freely and make sure it does not have a pinhole leak.

While you have it apart check your main jet, it it probably a .88. Run a 1mm drill bit through it and open it to .100. No need to hunt for new jets for the stock carb, they don't seem to exist. Just drill it out. It will do nothing for your idle but will improve things after you get rolling.

Drill out the cover plate for the idle adjustment screw while you have it off the bike too. That is the adjustment that puts everyone to installing and removing the carb a half dozen times. You really can not access that adjustment screw with the carb on the bike. If it is idling OK just leave it alone.

This is why so many of us replace the carbs. I fooled with mine for a year, did every adjustment and modification known to man, and gave up. I thought I had lost all of my mechanical knowledge until I bought a carb that operated correctly.

I spent more money on specialty drill bits and jet kits for primary and secondary (and waited weeks for them to arrive) than the good replacement carb cost.

grumpyunk
04-12-2021, 09:01 AM
If it dies as if you had turned the key to OFF, like RIGHT NOW, I would look for ignition problems, or wiring. The description is that of a chafed wire shorting out the CDI or coil, or the timing pickup. I would give all the wires involved a close inspection. I would also check the KILL switch & wires on the handlebar. A faulty KILL switch, or ignition switch could also cause instantaneous engine stopping. Both switches can be disconnected for testing, and you should still be able to start the engine.
tom

Ghost Rider
07-12-2021, 05:39 PM
It's been running good again. Maybe the battery does suck, the bike turns over slowly, even with a full charge. It did read 12.8 volts, but even with the charger on (as I recall) on manual setting, it still turns slowly. I was at a friends house, it wasn't starting. I checked spark, there was none. he clicked the on off switch real fast back and fourth as the bike turned over, I saw spark, installed plug then she started. When she runs, she runs very well. I did do the valve adjustment last fall. The plug is also a nice light tan on the white area. Also changed the filter under the tank and checked the one in the petcock, clean as a whistle. I'll get a new battery and see if that helps crank her over faster. And take off the on/off switch and see if I can see a problem. It has been starting every time and like I said when she runs, she runs very nice. I'm still wondering if it could be CDI box getting jolted into operation with the switch.. Might be something as simple as neutral safety switch also farting out.
And, The bike flopped over and I need a new left mirror. Bad luck there but could have been worse. I was working on my Chev van, came out from under and got dizzy ( getting old) I gently bumped the bike, it fell to the right, but broke the left mirror stem on a ramp I had leaning on the garage. Tank is fine, scratched the speedo a bit and broke that mirror. Damn it! lol Another thing is, what size diameter are these big ass bars on a 2018 Ghost? I'm wondering how to hook up a phone to check my speed.Thank you for the carb info also. And everything else you guys said. It's a fun little bike.

4T_Goblin
07-12-2021, 06:12 PM
So what would be a good brand of carb to buy as a replacement?

JerryHawk250
07-13-2021, 08:03 AM
So what would be a good brand of carb to buy as a replacement?

The bike comes with the upgrade PZ30 pumper carb. All it needs is proper jets.