PDA

View Full Version : New CSC bike

mdschultz
04-11-2021, 02:27 PM
Looks like CSC motorcycles is debuting a new bike on the 16th. New 400cc cafe racer?

wheelbender6
04-11-2021, 03:27 PM
Anybody got a link to that press release?
I didn't see it on CSCmotorcycles.com. I was checking out their e-bikes, yesterday.

wheelbender6
04-11-2021, 03:30 PM
Its on their facebook page. I'm not a facebook user.
https://www.facebook.com/cscmotorcycles/

culcune
04-11-2021, 03:42 PM
I scrolled down the most recent (Jan. 2021) EPA/DOT certification list and there are two bikes listed near the RX4 (this is the >279cc section of the list). The list is often not always up to date. I will keep my mouth shut as to what the two model names are out of respect for CSC to be able to make a big announcement; Also, I have a feeling that the bikes certified aren't necessarily what their announcement actually will be (there are occasions where a bike is certified and looks promising, yet a manufacturer/importer/distributor never actually imports said bike). However, before the RX4 came to the showroom, CSC did show the RX4 and a couple of other bikes a few short years ago as 'coming soon'. If you remember those bikes, those are the ones certified on the most recent list. I will see on the 16th if I was correct...
Edit: I was wrong on both bikes; I thought they were going to roll out the v-twin adventure bikes they teased us along with the RX4 a few years ago. However, currently, they have two distinct EPA/DOT certifications for two different >279cc bikes along with the model names. I googled both names and two different bikes came out (meaning neither was an adventure bike). If they are only debuting one bike this week, I am fairly certain I know which one it is. PM me your guesses and I will say whether you are right or wrong. But, again, I will hold back my guess publicly out of respect for CSC.

Essayons
04-11-2021, 03:56 PM
Not sure if they are announcing multiple bikes but I did see one that will be produced. Like you though, I won't divulge the model out of respect for CSC. I'm sure it will do well.

CheapThrills
04-11-2021, 05:41 PM
Ok, have to save my pennies, anyone give hints to price? We can keep it a secret here. :D

PastorCzo
04-13-2021, 05:37 PM
I believe it is an Zongshen RX3 sports bike. Its a 250cc liquid cooled 6 speed. They are selling parts on their website for it.

wheelbender6
04-13-2021, 09:10 PM
I'm working from home Friday, so I should be able to watch the reveal.

Falkon45
04-13-2021, 10:24 PM
I went straight to zongshen's fb page. Lol. I must say... KTM might sue these guys for one of the bikes. Looks mighty close to a 390 duke.

Falkon45
04-13-2021, 10:31 PM
Also, if it is that cafe bike, I'm glad have a hard decision to make. Lol.

Sport Rider
04-14-2021, 10:56 AM
well, it's either a 400 cafe or a 400 naked standard. These are the zong images

JerryHawk250
04-14-2021, 11:49 AM
380cc and 36hp. could be fun.

MeatHammer
04-14-2021, 11:51 AM
They are working on the 400cc cafe bike in a picture on Facebook

JerryHawk250
04-14-2021, 12:00 PM
According to EPA certifications it's actually 378cc. Standard for the motorcycle industry to round it up to 400.

franque
04-14-2021, 12:39 PM
Hmm... I didn't think they were importing the twin. They already imported a 250cc sport bike, the RC3. I'm not sure that anybody bought one.

culcune
04-14-2021, 12:57 PM
Hmm... I didn't think they were importing the twin. They already imported a 250cc sport bike, the RC3. I'm not sure that anybody bought one.

One guy here had an RC3, but 'fell off the map' so to speak (kind of like our XF250 guys other than 'dh' :lmao:).

If they are only introducing one bike, my guess is based on the popularity of the San Gabriel 250 cafe bike, it will be the 400 cafe bike.

Falkon45
04-14-2021, 04:38 PM
Man, if it's the cafe bike, I'm gonna have a hard time picking what bike to get next. That thing is lovely. The Batello 5 would be a lot cooler to import, in my opinion, but I guess it's either too high a displacement, or KTM could step in and start some crap. lol.

https://chinamotorworld.com/listings/zongshen-zs150-48ebatllo-5/

JerryHawk250
04-14-2021, 04:54 PM
If they are only introducing one bike, my guess is based on the popularity of the San Gabriel 250 cafe bike, it will be the 400 cafe bike.
Both bikes have EPA approval so both should be available. They may not release them at the same time.

Biker_Andy
04-14-2021, 05:12 PM
Is this simply a new model based on the RX4 engine or is this something entirely new? I can't remember the exact displacement of the RX4 engine. I like the Chinese Duke better myself if it's just a pick between the two bikes. Not sure how well a RZ4 will sell thought.

The RC3 didn't sell well but the RZ3 was way worse. One guy turned a RC3 into a track only race bike and I believe he even won some races with it. I don't think CSC sold a single RZ3, they dropped the model line immediately after it was released and parts/tutorials were never available for it. I think demand was so low nothing other then the test bike ever made it to USA shores. Nothing was ever publically released why the dropped the RZ3 and that's back when Joe Berk was blogging daily.

Sport Rider
04-15-2021, 01:05 PM
the RX4 is a 450cc motor. Both of these new options are a 378cc.

franque
04-15-2021, 03:18 PM
@Andy

Thanks for the info. The motor is a p-twin, I think they considered importing the RX3S, which uses the same motor, but my guess is that they decided that a potential T3 Ténéré would blow it out of the water, so no point in importing it.

Biker_Andy
04-15-2021, 11:03 PM
378cc parallels should have plenty of power for the highways. Will be interested to see what kind of price tag they get. Hopefully it's still well below Japanese offerings.

culcune
04-16-2021, 01:15 AM
The RX4 should be some kind of benchmark as far as pricing goes. Not to mention other more well-known brand name 400s such as the Kawasaki Ninja. Sure, they are not competing directly (I will use the Zongshen cafe bike as the example) but at the same time, they ARE competing directly with each other in the 300-400cc class. I am talking about the main buyers in that class being 'newer' street riders who don't need a smaller displacement bike because they have enough experience with other bikes (eg. dirtbikes or scooters) to not start out with a 200cc (eg. Duke 200) or 250cc bike. Those buyers will shop across the street bike realm unlike people in larger classes who are more specific (like those wanting a just a 600cc sportsbike or those wanting just a 600cc-700cc naked sports bike or those wanting a 600cc ADV-ish bike). That is how I see the cafe needing to be priced.

MeatHammer
04-16-2021, 01:51 PM
They have them on the website now. It is the cafe and naked street. Both are under $5000

Essayons
04-16-2021, 02:35 PM
Ha Ha! So much for the live reveal lol!

Biker_Andy
04-16-2021, 04:29 PM
Haylon 400 $4695 ($5870 CAD) vs Duke 390 $5600 ($6549 CAD)

84% cost of a Duke (90% CAD)

The numbers up North are even harder to swallow. CSC makes great bikes but so many people still haven't heard of them. Resale value suffers because of this and I think you probably have better value buying a Duke even if the Haylon comes with accessory outlets a bigger stator and a twin cylinder engine.

Working_ZS
04-16-2021, 06:39 PM
Well, it's put or shut up time I guess, so I went ahead and put down a $500 deposit on a metallic gray SG400. I liked the fact that the RZ3S had dual front disc brakes, but they're standard floating calipers instead of the radial mount single disc on the San Gabriel. At slightly over 400 lbs fully laden, I don't think the single disc will be a problem. Plus, the SG400 has an analog tack, which I much prefer, versus the all digital dash on the Haylon.

Now, it's hurry up and wait time.

wheelbender6
04-17-2021, 06:17 PM
The RX4 single has more hp than the twin lung SG400.
I love the classic styling of the SG400.
Difficult decision.

culcune
04-17-2021, 07:40 PM
Difficult decision.

I would go with the RX4 just for the utility of the bike. For me, it would be in the back of my mind that I could take the RX4 on a weekend ride into the desert or forest (on a three day weekend), besides doing my daily commuting riding duties and having a slew of built-in storage. That is how I would approach it if i was in your position.

Working_ZS
04-17-2021, 09:07 PM
Difficult decision.

Yep, "no replacement for displacement", as they say. The NC450 and TC380 definitely make power differently, that's for sure. That's one of the reasons that I wanted to get one of these, to experience that power delivery of the higher revving parallel twin versus the RX4's single cylinder. It's what interested me about the RX3S ADV that CSC opted not to import due to the cramped Asian market ergonomics. Combined with an 80 lb weight difference versus the RX4 with luggage, the SG400 and Haylon @36 HP should be quite lively on the highway compared to an RX4 @40 HP; and even more so than the RX3 @24 HP, or SG250 @16 HP.

If you are forced to choose between an RX4 or SG400 for whatever reason, let your end use be the determining factor. If it's light off roading or touring, get the RX4. If you just want something cool and different to bebop around town on, get the SG400

ChopperCharles
04-18-2021, 12:23 PM
SG400 looks like a slick alternative to a Royal endfield 650 twin, bonniville, or even SR400.
The only thing I really wonder about is the size of the thing. The SG250 is TINY and the SR400 I sat on was also too small for me. I’m wondering about this cool 400cc cafe racer now....

Charles.

Working_ZS
04-18-2021, 03:30 PM
SG400 looks like a slick alternative to a Royal endfield 650 twin, bonniville, or even SR400.
The only thing I really wonder about is the size of the thing. The SG250 is TINY and the SR400 I sat on was also too small for me. I’m wondering about this cool 400cc cafe racer now....

Charles.

The SG400's listed seat height is 30.3", your RX3's is 31.3"; so if your cramped on the RX3, you'll be even more so on the SG400. However, if the RX3 ergos are good for you, I would hazard a guess and say you'll probably be OK on the SG400; it really all depends upon your inseam. Like Joey in the reveal video, I've got a 30" inseam, so I will be just fine; someone with a 32-34" inseam, probably not so much.

ChopperCharles
04-18-2021, 08:09 PM
I'm not cramped at all on my RX3. I'm only 5'9. I'm just fat.
I was hoping the RE3/SG400 would be lightweight, but it looks to be 405 wet. That's not terrible, but 375 would be better, of course...

Anyhow... I really like the british version of this bike. I want the brown seat and the shiny metal side covers. Unfortunately I don't see much of anything available for it on AliExpress... is there another parts source for the bike? One that is possible to order from? (Taobao is worthless to me unfortunately)

Charles.

Working_ZS
04-18-2021, 09:42 PM
I'm not cramped at all on my RX3. I'm only 5'9. I'm just fat.
I was hoping the RE3/SG400 would be lightweight, but it looks to be 405 wet. That's not terrible, but 375 would be better, of course...

Anyhow... I really like the british version of this bike. I want the brown seat and the shiny metal side covers. Unfortunately I don't see much of anything available for it on AliExpress... is there another parts source for the bike? One that is possible to order from? (Taobao is worthless to me unfortunately)

Charles.

"I'm not cramped at all on my RX3. I'm only 5'9. I'm just fat." LOL.

I believe CSC is working on an accessory brown seat, in addition to the tank and fender color change kit; I don't know about the side covers....maybe shoot them an email and let them know that your interested in them, they seem to be receptive to accessory suggestions for their bikes.

Being just released by Zongshen, I suppose that it will take some time for the Chinese aftermarket to come up with accessories for the RE3, but given the favorable response to this bike, I don't think that it will be too long before stuff starts to appear.

Megadan
04-19-2021, 01:47 AM
The only thing I really wonder about is the size of the thing.
Charles.

That is actually the bike I have been eyeballing very hard lately (The RE Interceptor 650). I didn't even realize CSC was offering these "400's" until today.

I have a feeling the SG400 will be decently comfortable. My 6'4" fat butt is pretty comfortable on the Interceptor 650 - my knees don't go above the tank level, nor are my legs bent less than 90 degrees. Looking at the pictures of the SG400, the peg placement is very similar, so I suspect it will be a similar fitment.

Not sure if I would classify them as a direct comptetiton to the 650 twins, but definitely an appealing alternative. The 650's are bit heavier, but they are also dismensionally just a little bit bigger too, about 2 more inches of wheelbase and 1 more inch in seat height. Plus they have that enormous lump of an overbuilt engine.

I consider these bikes to be about a half a step below the RE 650's in terms of class, although as you said, they are an appealing alternative. I know it made me look twice! I would consider the Kawasaki Z400 to be a much more direct competitor to the SG400/RZ3S. in terms of performance, weight, and price point. The SG400 offering something sorely missing from the market though, retro style with a smaller engine.

One other random selling point to me about the SG400 is the tubless spoked rims. I would personally prefer just a set of cast wheels, but at least with those rims no tubes are required, so that is still a perk.

The only other real consideration is if you are a modder like me, or if you just want a bike to hop on and ride and not fiddle with anything. The RE 650's have a whole plethora of aftermarket, and the respond amazingly to some mods. The SG won't likely have those same options unless CSC offers them, or somebody manages to track down some "aftermarket" parts for this bike on Chinaohao or Taobao.

Chris_Top_Her
05-01-2021, 03:03 AM
Look up Rusi400 on YouTube, the bike has been out in India you can see some blogs about it (in local language mainly)

ChopperCharles
10-19-2021, 04:20 PM
The SG400 has a cramped leg position. It's not bad for day rides for me, but after 12 days in the saddle my hips and knees were hurting. And I only have a 30" inseam. I think it might be less comfortable for a taller person.

At the same time, the bars are so far forward that I'm stretching to reach them. If I were taller the bars would fit me better.

Lastly, the wind hits you square in the helmet. Some on the shoulders, but not much on the chest. The bike needs a small windshield and handlebar risers to be truly comfortable for me. And also rear shocks, as the stock ones are hilariously bad. (like pogo-stick bad)

Charles.

TominMO
10-19-2021, 08:54 PM
I'm not cramped at all on my RX3. I'm only 5'9. I'm just short for my weight.
Fixed it for you. You're welcome.