PDA

View Full Version : Realistic end game cc's with highest possible upgrades for stock X22R/Ghost engines?

Jeshmont
05-14-2021, 11:17 AM
Had a thought earlier curious to what people would think the best possible end result could be and where the bottleneck on the bikes would be? I imagine once the engine gets to its highest point the rest of the bike would begin to suffer or do you think it could handle the power?

JerryHawk250
05-14-2021, 11:47 AM
Best mods for these engines are Port and polish the head, increase compression ratio by decking the head and using thin head gasket, change main jet to a 103 or 105, advance the timing with a 4 degree timing key, any performance cam for the CRF230F and of course remove the restrictive catalytic converter. The stock muffler is already an open free flowing glass pack so no need to replace. On my 2019 X22R I was able to use a Wiseco 11:1 piston from the CRF230F but from what one member posted recently the newer engine now comes with a 69mm piston so that won't work on the newer engines. I haven't pulled my head yet to verify this on the Ghost yet but sure it will be the same as the newer X22R.
For better top speed you will need to replace the rear sprocket with a 36 tooth.

Jeshmont
05-14-2021, 02:19 PM
What do you think all that would take you to? a true 250 or more? Thanks Jerry!

JerryHawk250
05-14-2021, 02:29 PM
That will take you from the 16hp stock to 20+ hp easily. I never had my X22R on a dyno but Joe Henner has taken the engines with similar mods past the 22hp RWH mark. It was a huge improvement on my X22R. eventually i'll start engine mods on the Ghost. I have too many irons in the fire right now but probably will do them towards the end of the summer.

Gbp1
05-14-2021, 03:08 PM
I've been thinking about fitting a athena big bore on my own ghost, but got hesitant after that x22r big bore thread popped up. Probably will open up my motor to check piston size whenever I get around to changing the timing key.

Jeshmont
05-14-2021, 03:30 PM
Someone once told me the engine in these bikes had already been big bored to reach the ~230cc already and "there would be no way to big bore them further" I suppose the guy had no idea what he was talking about

MeatHammer
05-14-2021, 03:49 PM
Someone once told me the engine in these bikes had already been big bored to reach the ~230cc already and "there would be no way to big bore them further" I suppose the guy had no idea what he was talking about

I have a 2020 model x22R and it has a 69mm bore which takes it to 230cc. The new Ghost by appearance has this same 69mm bore 230cc engine. That means that the big bore kits for the 223cc engines will not work. As of right now there are no bigger bore options for the 69mm bore 230cc engines that are being shipped with the x22R and Ghost. Like JerryHawk said there are things you can do to these new engines just not a bigger bore.