PDA

View Full Version : Received my 2021 Venom Ghost this morning!

Jeshmont
05-25-2021, 07:35 PM
It took 8 days total from California to Maryland it would have been shorter but it landed in my state at the end of Friday and sat for the rest of the weekend till today.

It was delivered by R&L Carriers and I'm glad I checked the delivery status because they didn't call or notify me at all and my driveway was blocked up but I happened to catch the guy before he got to my door and got it all cleared up he was extremely helpful and seemed excited for me too :D

so decrating it took a little more effort than I thought the damn bike is practically welded in a steel box but actually super proud of that because the steel crate actually had a few dents and luckily the bike didn't get any of that

after removing the bike I got to work installing the handlebars + left handlebar controls + battery all were very easy next I did an oil change before even starting the bike which was very easy again

now I'm changing the sprocket + chain, sparkplug, tuning the carb and checking valve clearance

overall I'm blown away the bike is much more than I could have even expected and looks and feels 10 times better than I would have even thought very highly recommended I'll update more soon! :thanks:

tony_cr
05-25-2021, 08:11 PM
Totally new to this but for checking valves, do you need extra gaskets on hand? All I know is motorized bicycles and it's always good to have them on hand any time you do work on the head.

Jeshmont
05-25-2021, 09:07 PM
Good question actually I haven't even considered but I do believe the gaskets preinstalled will be fine so long as you don't somehow break them it seems everyone who works on these and other similar bikes don't have any issue another option is to just buy gasket material to make your own which is exactly what I will be doing if I have any issue but I don't expect to!

Also just for reference I asked this a while back and was told incorrect info but the valve clearances for the Ghost are 0.04 which you can measure with your feeler gauge this was confirmed on the little sticker that has my vin and other details (I was told it was 0.05 initially)

Jeshmont
05-25-2021, 09:09 PM
i will be making a massive post here soon with what (I hope) is all the info you need to get by working on this bike as I have experience as a mechanic but not a motorcycle mechanic so I'm trying to throw in everything a beginner rider would need to know before and after buying this bike.

JerryHawk250
05-26-2021, 08:18 AM
Totally new to this but for checking valves, do you need extra gaskets on hand? All I know is motorized bicycles and it's always good to have them on hand any time you do work on the head.

For adjusting the valves, there are two round covers that you remove to adjust the valves. They have orings on them that are reusable. Do not attempt to remove the valve cover itself. It's a different procedure than on the CG engines like on the Hawk, Brozz and TBR7. Valve clearance n these engines are .1mm or .004". It's best to remove the tank to make easy access to the intake valve.

JerryHawk250
05-26-2021, 08:19 AM
It took 8 days total from California to Maryland it would have been shorter but it landed in my state at the end of Friday and sat for the rest of the weekend till today.

It was delivered by R&L Carriers and I'm glad I checked the delivery status because they didn't call or notify me at all and my driveway was blocked up but I happened to catch the guy before he got to my door and got it all cleared up he was extremely helpful and seemed excited for me too :D

so decrating it took a little more effort than I thought the damn bike is practically welded in a steel box but actually super proud of that because the steel crate actually had a few dents and luckily the bike didn't get any of that

after removing the bike I got to work installing the handlebars + left handlebar controls + battery all were very easy next I did an oil change before even starting the bike which was very easy again

now I'm changing the sprocket + chain, sparkplug, tuning the carb and checking valve clearance

overall I'm blown away the bike is much more than I could have even expected and looks and feels 10 times better than I would have even thought very highly recommended I'll update more soon! :thanks:
Congrats on the New Ghost. :tup: Yeah, the quality of this bikes was a step up from my X22R and it was well made as as well.

tony_cr
05-26-2021, 09:41 AM
My preconceptions were wrong about the builder. I'm naive regarding china bikes and just in general about motorcycles, been a couple decades since I rode. After more research I realized this bike isn't unique to Venom. It's actually made by the Dongfang Co, right? But it doesn't show on its site, only another model which I guess is the 2019 or 2020 model? Maybe I'm being picky in wanting to know the source, it'd be great to know for parts and warranty if it has one but I guess as long as it has decent build quality not a big deal.

JerryHawk250
05-26-2021, 10:11 AM
My preconceptions were wrong about the builder. I'm naive regarding china bikes and just in general about motorcycles, been a couple decades since I rode. After more research I realized this bike isn't unique to Venom. It's actually made by the Dongfang Co, right? But it doesn't show on its site, only another model which I guess is the 2019 or 2020 model? Maybe I'm being picky in wanting to know the source, it'd be great to know for parts and warranty if it has one but I guess as long as it has decent build quality not a big deal.

The Ghost was built to Venom Motorsports/ Belmonte Bikes specifications by Dong Fang. The 2019 and older models could be bough from multiple dealers. Of course the model is no longer available. Venom reached out to asked me personally before the bike was manufactured on what upgrade I though these bikes needed. Venom is currently working with the manufacture to send these bikes out with a 36 tooth sprocket. Venom Motorsports/ Belmonte Bikes are constantly working with the manufacture on putting out quality products. Venom Motorsports/ Belmonte Bikes have great customer support and do honor there warranty.

tony_cr
05-26-2021, 10:23 AM
The Ghost was built to Venom Motorsports/ Belmonte Bikes specifications by Dong Fang. The 2019 and older models could be bough from multiple dealers. Of course the model is no longer available. Venom reached out to asked me personally before the bike was manufactured on what upgrade I though these bikes needed. Venom is currently working with the manufacture to send these bikes out with a 36 tooth sprocket. Venom Motorsports/ Belmonte Bikes are constantly working with the manufacture on putting out quality products.

That's cool, it's nice we have a rep here, esp on this specific bike. With a 36t on this bike, is it feasible to cruise 65-70mph with a light rider as myself without the bike screaming? I know a 250cc is pushing it regarding highway travel but I want no more engine than I need. I feel like the less metal between you and the road, the more freedom you experience.

Also what's the timeframe for the 36t? I'll hold off a while if they're coming soon. I know I could do it myself but I live in an apartment, hence part of my love for small engines where I can easily work on them and I'd rather not tackle that right off the bat anyway.

Does this come with a lockable helmet holder? I don't know how standard that is anymore but even the Hawk has one so I'd hope this one does.

Jeshmont
05-26-2021, 10:52 AM
I would say its more than feasible to hit those speeds with the 36t without screaming depending on how light you are I feel like beyond that isn't out of means of capability.

I wouldn't bother waiting for the sprocket swap its a fairly easy task to do as long as you're willing to throw in a tiny bit of elbow grease and have or want to procure a pair of cheap retaining ring pliers and swap out a chain. I think these bikes give to you what you give to them so don't be afraid to put in some work.

It does not but I purchased a simple rifle lock from Amazon for about $6 or so and that will suffice to lock my helmet to my motorcycle it may not be a bulletproof option but I doubt someone will have the means to remove it before I get back to the bike :D

JerryHawk250
05-26-2021, 11:44 AM
That's cool, it's nice we have a rep here, esp on this specific bike. With a 36t on this bike, is it feasible to cruise 65-70mph with a light rider as myself without the bike screaming? I know a 250cc is pushing it regarding highway travel but I want no more engine than I need. I feel like the less metal between you and the road, the more freedom you experience.

Also what's the timeframe for the 36t? I'll hold off a while if they're coming soon. I know I could do it myself but I live in an apartment, hence part of my love for small engines where I can easily work on them and I'd rather not tackle that right off the bat anyway.

Does this come with a lockable helmet holder? I don't know how standard that is anymore but even the Hawk has one so I'd hope this one does.

You can get a sprocket pretty quick from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GTV5U4/?coliid=I24DMSOR6HWPX7&colid=2TIDKN14UQSQ&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HB7QKP/?coliid=I3MOV6R26U5DBH&colid=2TIDKN14UQSQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
No helmet lock. A helmet cable lock works well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HB7QKP/?coliid=I3MOV6R26U5DBH&colid=2TIDKN14UQSQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

tony_cr
05-26-2021, 12:27 PM
Does this bike have much vibration post-55mph? I've read a few reviews on belmontebikes that the vibration can be disturbing. Of course they're for the older 2017 Ghost and so I'm wondering if this has been resolved.

JerryHawk250
05-26-2021, 01:07 PM
Does this bike have much vibration post-55mph? I've read a few reviews on belmontebikes that the vibration can be disturbing. Of course they're for the older 2017 Ghost and so I'm wondering if this has been resolved.
Before i replace the rear sprocket it did because of the high RPM's. Once i replace the rear sprocket the vibration virtually went away. Within the first few hundred miles you will get most of the vibration due to the engine still being tight. Once you get about 500-600 mile the engine will break in and loosen up and will smooth out. Typical to most of these Chinese bikes. A good set of foam grips really help.

tony_cr
05-28-2021, 01:52 PM
It does not but I purchased a simple rifle lock from Amazon for about $6 or so and that will suffice to lock my helmet to my motorcycle it may not be a bulletproof option but I doubt someone will have the means to remove it before I get back to the bike :D

Really? Why would they take it out? It seemed the old Ghost had a helmet lock according to their video (https://youtu.be/RHZJgVL6928?t=338), ff to 538. Maybe Venom sells the old lock and I can fit it on the new one? Still haven't decided on this bike yet, waiting on finances.

Joe Schutts
05-28-2021, 08:33 PM
Hi Jerry,

Yes I'm STILL WAITING (and pulling what's left of my hair out) for my X22R to clear customs believe it or not...

Anyway, that Amazon link you sent the other guy was for a 35 tooth sprocket. Does the X22R use a 36 tooth or the 35 tooth sprocket??? Which one is better for it???

Take care and ride safe...

Joe...

P.S. Will that sprocket you put the link to work on an X22R???

:thanks:

JerryHawk250
05-31-2021, 11:12 AM
Hi Jerry,

Yes I'm STILL WAITING (and pulling what's left of my hair out) for my X22R to clear customs believe it or not...

Anyway, that Amazon link you sent the other guy was for a 35 tooth sprocket. Does the X22R use a 36 tooth or the 35 tooth sprocket??? Which one is better for it???

Take care and ride safe...

Joe...

P.S. Will that sprocket you put the link to work on an X22R???

:thanks:

36 tooth would be the smallest I would go with. The sprocket in the link is for the Ghost. The X22R takes a different custom made sprocket from PBI Sprockets.

JerryHawk250
05-31-2021, 04:53 PM
It seemed the old Ghost had a helmet lock.

The helmet lock would of been useless on my Ghost as it would of been covered up anyway with the saddle bags. You can find the universal helmet locks that can be mounted in the same place as the old Ghost. I had put one on my X22R.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NL8F66G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8JRFYJ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07D8JRFYJ&pd_rd_w=YQ54j&pf_rd_p=91afecf5-8b2e-41e2-9f11-dc6992c6eaa1&pd_rd_wg=FIIBS&pf_rd_r=6TTCW463CPK8CJ22GTH1&pd_rd_r=2f071afc-f9bb-470d-9c75-daf7361b3261&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUlA1QVFaVzBRQksmZ W5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxNDY4NTYzOEcwMDVPOVY3TFk4JmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNDc0MjUxM0RWUkxBVE9QWEg3JndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmR vTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
If you take some measurements and search helmet lock you can find something close enough to make work.

tony_cr
06-05-2021, 06:44 AM
Has anyone driven this on the interstate? Still not pulled the trigger on it. Went to a Yamaha dealer today and looked at a 250R, dealer said you don't want a 250 for interstate use cuz the bigger trucks will blow you away. He's just trying to get me to spend more on a bigger bike, right? I'd like something I can ride on interstate and backroads equally.

I used to ride a GSXR 600, surely these lightweight bikes >300lbs will be fine. It lacks some horsepower but if it can maintain speeds and accelerate with some of the slower cars, should be fine, right?

Falkon45
06-05-2021, 07:14 AM
Honestly, the lighter the bike, the more you get moved. My rc390 got pushed around a lot when behind semis. Strong winds will push you around also. And remember, the more surface area, the worse it gets.

But honestly, if you can't do at least 75 (a verified 75. Not indicated), I wouldn't put it on any highway with a speed limit 65 or higher.

Avenal4242
09-02-2021, 01:33 AM
I have this same bike where can i find the video. I would like to know where he got the footboards.
Thans