PDA

View Full Version : Venom Ghost loud pinging from valves after adjustment (video)

Jeshmont
06-02-2021, 08:31 PM
https://youtu.be/Jjljjx8cAvY

so I did the standard valve adjustment I took both the covers off instead of the whole valve cover I spun the engine till I saw the T on the flywheel and adjusted both valves to .004 as per recommendation from Jerry but now I'm getting a very loud pinging that wasn't there before I know "tappy happy" valves but this seems excessive? I even took out the spark plug to feel for the air pressure so I'm pretty sure everything is normal and there was drag on the feeler gauge for both and the nuts were tightened down I was able to actually physically tap both of the valves down with my finger.

JerryHawk250
06-03-2021, 07:36 AM
Did you adjust them while the engine was cold? If done while the engine is warm or hot the valve gaps will be more when the engine cools down.

ChillRider
06-03-2021, 07:43 AM
Did you turn the crankshaft a couple of times after setting the valves, to verify that they stayed at the intended setting? On my Zongshen Sierra, I had to repeat the setting procedure a couple of times, and actually had to use a smaller gauge than my target setting (e.g. I had to use the 0.05mm for getting an effective 0.08mm, and an 0.08mm to get an effective 0.10 mm).

If I set with the appropriate feeler right away, then after turning the crankshaft a couple of times I found that the clearances increased after the first valve open-close cycle, but no more after that.