PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Venom Ghost shipping notification! Newbie questions

DBK68W
06-08-2021, 08:34 PM
Hey all,

Super helpful forum I stumbled across while looking up videos on the Venom Ghost, which I'm excited to try out. I haven't ridden in a decade and those were always well worn used Hondas, so just had a couple of noobish questions.

I paid the extra amount for the bike to arrive fully assembled and PDI/tested by Venom. Once it arrives and I get it out of the packaging, what all do I need to do? Is the oil it ships with good, and do any other adjustments need to be made before I break it in? How many miles of easy riding would you suggest before I start going 50+? All I really plan on/have the know how to do is make sure everything is tightened properly and maybe adjust the idle if I can easily find it and remember how. Also, does it come with a manual? The e-mail I received just has a couple of YouTube links.

Essentially, it would be really helpful if you could break everything down for me like I'm a complete idiot or a 5 year old or something, which I essentially am. Thanks so much for your time if you have the time to help!

JerryHawk250
06-09-2021, 08:37 AM
The oil that comes in the Ghost will be good for running through a few heat cycles. No matter how good the oil is, the only reason you will want to change it within the first 20 mile or so is that there will be a lot of metal from machining and the clutch wearing in. For the first 1000 miles use a non-synthetic motorcycle oil designed for wet clutch. Valvoline, Quick Silver, even Walmart (Super tech) and a few others make good oil. You can switch to a full synthetic after break in. Those first few hundred miles just ride normal and avoid WOT for long periods. Venom have an actual shop with real mechanics so they probably gave a good look over. I would still check over every nut and bolt. I assemble my own Ghost. Overall everything was tighten down. Not much assembly was involved. One of the 1st mods you should order is a 36 tooth rear sprocket. You will find out quick how low geared the bike is. Order some main jets. The bike will be a little on the lean side. A 103 or 105 main will be just about right depending on your elevation. Get a can of cable and chain lube. Lube up the clutch cable and throttle cable. My chain came well lubed from the factory but still sprayed it down as well. There's a link to my YouTube channel in my sig where I've documented my mods.

DBK68W
06-09-2021, 12:22 PM
Thank you very much! Really appreciate it.:thanks:

JerryHawk250
06-10-2021, 11:05 AM
I forgot to mention. Get yourself some brake cleaner and spray down the brake rotors real good before you even apply the brakes. This will remove the oily rust protection off the rotors.

Joe Schutts
06-10-2021, 01:17 PM
Hi,

I was going to suggest that you get in touch with JERRYHAWK250 as he's (in my book anyway) the "MASTER OF THE CHINESE BIKES" as he has 3 of them. The X22R, the Ghost, and the trail bike (I forget the name of it). But I see he's already got in touch with you...

He is VERY knowledgeable about these bikes as he has done EXTENSIVE MODS on all three of his bikes. He is the "GO TO" guy to see and ask... You can't go wrong with what he says...

Anyway, good luck with your bike. I'm still waiting for my X22R to clear Customs and for them to ship it to me. By the way, did your bike ship from California or Canada??? I'm waiting for mine from California...

Take care and ride safe...

Joe...

:thanks:

DBK68W
06-10-2021, 02:08 PM
Thanks! Mine is shipping to ID from California and is allegedly supposed to arrive today, but I'm not holding my breath because no one has contacted me and that would be insanely fast haha.

DBK68W
06-15-2021, 07:22 PM
Arrived today and my first hot lap around the trailer park was a great success, haha. Gonna have a lot of fun with this bad boy.

DBK68W
06-20-2021, 05:58 PM
Changed the oil at 40 miles to some Valvoline 20w50 4 stroke and lubed up the chain, she's at 55 miles now and running like a champ. I have the exact same saddlebags as Jerry and a 36t sprocket arriving tomorrow, so once those are on I'll just keep breakin' 'er in. Carb jet might be beyond my mechanical prowess but since it's going well so far I might try that next. Anyway, love the bike so far and just posting so any other new folk that stumble across this forum won't feel silly if they are new as well. Thanks again for the help!

JerryHawk250
06-21-2021, 08:44 AM
Jetting the carb is the easy part. Getting access to remove the carb is the pain with the side cover.

Ting250
06-24-2021, 02:17 PM
Hello everyone my ghost 250 came to my door yesterday. It’s so amazing I’m a big guy 6 foot two and 270 pounds and I’m new to riding this was a perfect purchase. It’s amazing how quickly you become attached and want to keep riding. I also have already received my 36 tooth sprocket I just have to figure out how to put it on I think that’s going to help me keep my rievs lowerI just change my oil today it had 54 miles on it and I can tell a difference already! Looking forward to interacting with you all!

JerryHawk250
06-24-2021, 02:19 PM
Hello everyone my ghost 250 came to my door yesterday. It’s so amazing I’m a big guy 6 foot two and 270 pounds and I’m new to riding this was a perfect purchase. It’s amazing how quickly you become attached and want to keep riding. I also have already received my 36 tooth sprocket I just have to figure out how to put it on I think that’s going to help me keep my rievs lowerI just change my oil today it had 54 miles on it and I can tell a difference already! Looking forward to interacting with you all!

Welcome aboard! Yeah, the 36 tooth on the rear will make it feel like a completely different bike.

Metalegl
06-27-2021, 07:05 PM
I just ordered mine this weekend. I am pretty stoked to be able to afford a new full size bike for so cheap. I am a mechanic by trade and already have a few mods in the pipe for when it gets here.

I did have a question though, I ordered the NIBBI RACING CARBURETOR | VM26 30MM along with the bike. Will I be able to be okay with the stock jet in this carb, or will I need to replace it?

Also can you do the 36T sprocket with the stock chain or does it require another chain?
*remove 4 links*

Is there a big bore kit for this motor?

Can you remove the catalytic converter and still pass emissions tests or are these required for motorcycles?