PDA

View Full Version : Hellcat bad luck stuck on me

China Rider 27
07-08-2021, 10:40 PM
The Hellcat bad luck continues. Out today to go for a ride, one mile in it quits running. Quick check the carburetor is ready to fall off from where it bolts to the engine. (I used a stacked spacer arrangement) one bolt completely gone the other loose despite both having had a lock washer. Shut down the days ride. Got it home and ran and found a 20mm 1.0 bolt to fit. While I was putting a lock washer on the bolt I dropped it it skipped over a couple of inches to the right down the intake! I've heard tell of such things. I tried a magnet down the intake, no go. Using a mirror I could see the intake valve was open, Dam. Took the plug out. Took a nail and put a magnet on it and bent it into a curve. I got it, pulled it up to the hole fell off. Got it again and pulled it up the hole and lost it. Then again. Took another lock washer and tried at the spark plug hole. It's too big to fit through!

The head has to come off tomorrow. This bike needs to go next week on a vacation week long trip. Anybody have good resource info or recommendations for a head gasket replacement. Check of internet shows head torque spec of 12 NM? Thinking about using the Spray Copper gasket for additional sealer?

JerryHawk250
07-09-2021, 08:05 AM
Blue locktite will keep them bolts and nuts from coming loose.

TyGuy
07-09-2021, 08:25 AM
I second the locktite recommendation. I've used the blue on anything necessary to ensure nothing vibrates off. So far so good.

TxTaoRider
07-09-2021, 09:28 AM
I hate that happened, but in some small way I'm comforted in the knowledge that this type of thing doesn't just happen to me.

China Rider 27
07-09-2021, 10:35 AM
Yaa, I got tagged. LOL. I have big bottle of 243 supposed to be oil resistant and I have been using it religiously on everything. I put some on that new clutch facing plate the other day and just hand tightened the little screws real good.

I can't remember a bolt coming out before like that had a lock washer. The chinese threading and tapping is often cut very loose as is the adapter plate for this manifold and it just works loose. I was putting some blue loctite on the bolt to slide through to hold a new gasket I had made in place for installation when this happened. Any other time with a gasket that fit perfectly I would have never done it that way. At this rate, I am going to know this little motor pretty good! LOL.

China Rider 27
07-09-2021, 05:12 PM
I can't get a head gasket that will fit until Sunday. What thinks you about re-using the old head gasket? Other than being flattened it appears good. I have some Permatex Copper Spray a Gasket high temp sealant to put on it.

Bruces
07-09-2021, 06:58 PM
No ,on the copper spray a gasket ,I also wouldn’t re-use the old gasket on a street ridden bike ,if you are a long way from home and it shits the bed on you it will be a miserable ordeal ,Sunday is only 2 sleeps away ,you can handle it .

Plump Kibbles
07-09-2021, 08:29 PM
I would third the Loctite idea - 2422 on the other hand, still blue, but very high temperature rating. I have had regular 242 melt off; I use the 2422 on anything exhaust / heat related and has a continuous temperature resistance up to 650F. Lock nuts will just melt and make a mess of things, AND still come out.. just a heads up!

Another cheaper kind of option would be double nut the bolts - my exhaust came with two nuts on each bolt. Replaced with proper lock washers, but I digress.. 242, or 2422 should work just fine though.

China Rider 27
07-09-2021, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the response. After researching the high temp copper spray gasket I believe it would work, especially on a pitted surface but the cylinder mounting faces are excellent so I don't think it is needed UNLESS I was to reuse the old gasket. This bike only has 640 miles on it. Bruces has a good point and I will wait til Sunday to make it as good as I can do it.

The loctite discussion brings forth new information. I never considered loctite on an exhaust bolt. I do double nut and that has worked well. I also use anti-seize on studs and exhaust bolts. Loctite 243 I have on hand and looking at the specs has good heat resistance from 248 to 300 degrees. I want to use some on those small cam sprocket retaining nuts too and go easy on the twisting. That 2422 deserves a further look.

China Rider 27
07-10-2021, 10:54 AM
Any thoughts on oiling head bolt stud threads or using other lubricants prior to torque?

Plump Kibbles
07-10-2021, 03:23 PM
Yep! 2422 is great for manifold bolts on these little engines, even lawn mowers and such! I haven't had to check price in a while, but shouldn't be much more than the regular 242.

Interesting - I don't see any need for oils or lubes before torqueing - especially with the engine vibrations, might back out even easier while running. But, I could be very wrong on that. I would definitely clean off the threads before applying though; anything can happen!