PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Years

2LZ
07-13-2021, 01:56 AM
To all the youngin's here, as you may have guessed, some of us are getting up in years. That doesn't mean we don't have people higher on the ladder rungs than we are, it just means that (thankfully), some of our life responsibilities have evolved....and this week, we have a special guest at the Humble 2LZ Abode.

Mrs. 2LZ mother passed away last December....and left her dad behind. Married out of high school, they had 64 years together, and we finally talked him into taking the 1.5 hour drive to stay with us for a week. Her brother (and caregiver) "drop-shipped" him last Friday evening and he's ours until Wednesday night, when he gets picked up. 86 years old, a bit of dementia and a stroke later, here he is.

Tired? Oh yah...lots of naps. BUT if I keep him involved, he's right as rain. We built a shelf together today and he's completely "on it" when engaged.

Sent to a military school at 6 for "being a shitty kid", then moved with his dad to Canada at nine to reopen an old family orchard, then to be be a blacksmith and farrier for decades, then a Sac County Sheriff in his later years (he got in by shoeing the posse), the old guy has seen a lot of life.

He was a complete asshole to me in the younger years, but I dealt with it. I loved his daughter. Now, it's my job to keep him busy when I'm with him. Tomorrow, the weather is finally cooling here and we'll be in the shop with me inventing projects for him, electric scooter and all. I think we may have to mount the tank on the XS11 and I'll have him doing all the fuel line cutting after we measure the lengths together.

The dude, just a few years ago, was such a "man's man". He's built houses, forged all kinds of awesome stuff, even built his own barn, by himself, at 81. Now? Since his stroke and losing his wife, the drain is swirling quickly. I want to be as available as possible, even though he made my life sometimes hell in the younger years. He did the best he knew how, period.

As some may remember here, he and Mrs. 2LZ both flew to Alaska together and worked the Iditarod, multiple times. Father/Daughter trips of a lifetime. I was never that adventurous.

Anyway, now our little Spot and he have totally bonded and she's SO protective of him. She never leaves his side. When he naps, she's always right there.

Tomorrow morning? We hit the shop after a good breakfast. I'll be cherishing these hours.

Sir kayakalot
07-13-2021, 09:05 AM
You’re a good man 2LZ.

culcune
07-14-2021, 12:26 AM
My son's friend out here in Yuma, his grandfather, was a sheriff's deputy for Sacramento County and retired out here.

2LZ
07-14-2021, 12:58 AM
After I got back from a grocery run to town, got Chief (then name I've called him for 28 years) fed and then a little couch time. After that....got him wheeled out to the shop for some serious business, and he was more than excited.

I had him set up at the workbench as I was calling measurements for fuel lines. Of course, I was running new filters, so there were multiple lengths. As I yelled, Chief measured and clipped, then fitted the lines together with the filters and new clamps, as we went.

Happy to say everything went perfectly, not a single leak, and Chief is having a ball.

It was about 4:30......the heat was still around and i said, "You about done? Time to head to the house???"

He says, "The oil filter didn't get delivered. Don't you want to do the fork seals?"

He's still relentless. I was ready for "Miller Lite-30" but no. I had to drop the front end. This is where he and I pick up tomorrow.

Every time I tried to get pics, he'd stab his scooter in reverse. I finally got in his s--t this evening. "This is OUR project! I need to get your pics!"

More tomorrow.....

2LZ
07-14-2021, 01:01 AM
My son's friend out here in Yuma, his grandfather, was a sheriff's deputy for Sacramento County and retired out here.
Pm me his name. They most likely know each other.

herbie
07-14-2021, 10:29 AM
Wow those are some awesome stories 2lz! Your sowing positive and good memories, my dad was a like lot your father in law. Helped me build my garage when he was 87, passed away at 95. They built them tough back then. Enjoy him while you have time, the time seems to go quick.

Bruces
07-14-2021, 01:07 PM
Since the guy was such a asshole to you ,you might consider getting him a cuddly pet to keep him occupied ,specifically thinking a Llama of the horny male persuasion like my buddies father had .

2LZ
07-15-2021, 12:05 PM
Since the guy was such a asshole to you ,you might consider getting him a cuddly pet to keep him occupied ,specifically thinking a Llama of the horny male persuasion like my buddies father had .
LOL! Priceless!

2LZ
07-15-2021, 12:35 PM
Here's just a few highlights of Chief's last day here of this trip.

I knew he'd be chomping at the bit to get back out to the shop but after breakfast, he hit the couch and I hear snoring. Ok...I can wait. After a bit, he wakes up....

"Why the hell did you let me fall asleep? We have work to do!" He said in his slurred voice.
"I didn't want to interrupt your beauty sleep. Obviously, it's not working...." hee hee hee. Touche'.

Later in the day, I had one fork leg softly clamped into the vise for tear down. For the first time in decades, I was happy to see an actual drain plug at the bottom of the fork! Why manufacturers stopped providing these is beyond me.
Mind you, these are air/oil forks on the XS11 Special, but the seals were leaking so badly, I didn't think much of it. I look over and Chief is playing ball with Spot. He's busy....good.

I grab a coffee can and start to un-thread the drain plug. How much oil can still be in there, right?? Either way, no way it will over-fill the coffee can. I sat there on my short stool, watching them play ball, slowly pulling the bolt and on it's final thread suddenly, "PPFFFFFFFTTTTTT!!!!". The drain bolt went flying, I jumped a mile completely not expecting the outcome, the coffee can lurched into the air due to my rookie reaction, fluid was EVERYWHERE! All over me, all over the floor, dripping from my glasses and worse, my brand new right shoe was soaked. I sat there in old ATF-disbelief. WTF!? How can there still be a boatload of air pressure in the fork leg if the seal had been leaking for literal years!?

Next thing I hear is the whir of his chair. He turns around and looks at me....

"How come you threw oil all over the floor?"
"I didn't THROW oil on the floor! It was an accident! I had no idea the leg could possibly still be pressurized!"
Then he says, "Hire the handicapped. They're fun to watch."
Mind you, he's the one in the chair. Still a smartass to the core.

Anyway, all in all, a great five days. The brother came up last night and after a good dinner, off into the sunset they went.

Can't wait for his next stay....

herbie
07-16-2021, 07:20 AM
Beautiful! Your a good story teller 2lz, had me cracking up :lmao: