PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Short

Earl
05-01-2008, 02:33 PM
My sone has a Hensim 150cc atv, looks like the Yamaha Raptor. It has been a relatively maintenance free atv for the past 12 months. However, it recently has started to blow the fuse whenever the headlight is turned on. I have examined the headlight switch and wires leading to it to see if any were exposed, etc. but did not see anything. I am out of ideas. Anybody else had this problem? I basically have to keep fuses on hand incase he accidentally turns the headlight on. Very annoying to say the least, particularly when it's dark out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

nick780
05-01-2008, 03:55 PM
definitly sounds like a short in the wiring comming from the switch to the headlights, do you have a multimeter? if so unplug the head lights and do an ohm reading with the head light switch turned off. if there is no short you should read infinity or O.L on your meter if its digital, if there is a short you should read close to 0.0, OR check the wattage of the lamps in the headlights, if its to high of a wattage it will blow your fuse,

see how many amps your fuse is good for, then take the watts of both of your lamps and add them together then divide them by your voltage 12v, and that
should tell you the amps of the head lights. but since the bike has been ok for about a year, its probably a short.unless you replaced the original headlight lamps with higher wattage ones.

and one more thing is your voltage regulator, if that is bad ,then everytime you rev your bike up the voltage might climb too high.put a voltmeter on your battery while the bike is running,have someone rev the bike up a few times while you check voltage, you shouldnt read over 14 or 15 volts on the high side, if your at 12 to 14v your regulator is good.

montanaoffroader
05-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Don't forget to check the wiring to the TAIL LIGHT, if so equipped. They are often on the same circuit.