PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Hanway SC 125 - Fender Weld

Marcdxn
09-01-2021, 04:23 PM
Hi

New here.
Come looking for some help with a part for my Hanway SC as the bike garage I purchased it from isn't coming back to me.

The rear fender on the Hanway SC has a piece across two bars that eventually reach out towards the back where the number plate and rear indicators are attached.

The weld holding the two bars together has sheered through. The problem now is the vibration and motion caused by the road is cashing the bolts holding the rear fender to the bike to continuously come undone. I keep doing them up everyday and tried lock tight but because the bars are free to move im stuck really.

Hoping the bike garage will get back to me regards replacing it under warranty but with time and good riding days in the UK coming to an end soon I'd like to sort sooner rather than later.

I can't find anything that looks identical to the one this bike has online on parts sites and I'm thinking I may even consider taking it off and to a welder to repair. Kinda annoyed though at the lack of help from the garage or communication with the bike being just 3 weeks old.

I'll try add some pictures to see if that helps at all.

Marcdxn
09-01-2021, 04:26 PM
https://ibb.co/L52x3xM
https://ibb.co/d26ySZx
https://ibb.co/9GQhH16
https://ibb.co/4S6HXLm

Coloradogoose
09-03-2021, 02:28 PM
Honestly I'd just pull it off and take it to welder and then blast it with some rattle can to prevent rust. It's a bummer on a new bike, but most of the places that sell these bikes don't have spare parts anyway. They are probably ignoring you so they don't have to tell you that there is nothing they can do. I'm not familiar with that particular bike, but with my Lifan I just accepted that there are things I'll need to fix that on a Japanese bike I'd just take it back to the dealer for repair. Great time to buy a cheap flux core welder and learn how to do it yourself! :)

Falkon45
09-03-2021, 04:05 PM
You could always replace it with a different part. It's just a bolt on fender/tag holder. But, you'll come out cheaper getting it welded. It almost looks powder coated, unless the paint is just really thick. But yeah. Get it welded and paint it yourself if you want the cheapest option.

Marcdxn
09-03-2021, 04:31 PM
Had some communication back from the shop but it was still hit and miss to be fair. They said they would have to collect the bike, have it sent off to their supplier of Hanway bikes and they will sort it out.

Said they would let me know when this would be but another day has gone by with no communication.

Bit gutted with it being a new bike, at the same time feel like the bike dealer could be handling this a little better. .

Im going to call them tomorrow see what they say then weigh up what to do.

Having a bike picked up to be taken to the hq seems like an incredibly over the top way to sort out a rear fender.

Marcdxn
09-05-2021, 01:50 AM
Saturday rolled by, no communication back from KD bikes. Had two offers from local bike repair replaces who have said they are happy to repair this for me.

I've decided to keep posting how this pans out around the bike dealership communication here. I know it won't be very interesting to the masses but for records sake and anyone else who ends up in this position I figure it's worth while.

In the run up to purchasing this bike the dealership was friendly, communication was brill.

A thought I have had out of the scope of this issue is that the bike comes with a 2 year manufacturer warranty.

When I contacted the UK hanway parts distributer online regards the fender they advised that the request needs to come in from the bike shop it was purchased at.

If the bike shops not wanting to make a move on helping you repair an issue it's got me questioning how much weight having a warranty on these bikes has.

At the moment I'm looking to go down the local repair route to have this fixed.

I'm giving the bike shop a few more days to respond.

This isn't a case of missed emails or a busy inbox. My first communion to the bike shop was via email when a couple of days passed I messaged their direct WhatsApp support number, this was picked up fairly swiftly with an apology given.

Since the message where they advised the bike would need to be collected and sent away to HQ - there's been nothing.

Keeping screenshots of all the communication, timeline and experience. I'm new to bikes but it doesn't sit well with me at all that this is the service you get back from them after a very well communicated purchase and hand over of £3400 to buy a bike.

It's not the most expensive bike in the world, it's not a big brand name maybe both of those are the issue but at the end of the day it's a bike they sell, it's brand new and im getting a strong feeling they have washed there hands of it on handover.

Marcdxn
09-05-2021, 01:56 AM
All the while this has been going on -

It comes across as a bit of a kick in the nads as more new bike sale and handover photos keep going up on the dealerships FB page of new happy customers.

While a new customer goes by without a blip of a response on solving an issue on a new Chinese bike sale. An update or honest timeframe would be great to receive.

I can't believe that there is honestly time to post up photos of new bike sales but no time to let me know if this is going to take a few weeks arrange or where I stand.

I've been left with the response that they will sort this 'shortly'

How long shortly is or should be is open to anyones interpretation

Coloradogoose
09-05-2021, 09:32 PM
If the dealers over there are anything like most of the dealers in the states the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. (There are exceptions, like Venom)
Honestly, something I believe most willingly take on when buying a china bike is if something breaks in 5 days, 5 months, or 5 years you are on your own. It sucks that you got a bad part and are stuck dealing with it, but moving forward on your own is going to save you a ton of frustration and possibly a fair bit of money. Why money? One company (don't remember who) offers a great warranty but says the bike must be delivered to their headquarters in China for it to be covered and shipping/delivery must be covered by the owner.
I like Falkon's suggestion of getting a different fender. It would make your bike unique and the new one is likely to be built better.
Whatever you do, good luck with it. The situation you are in sucks. Wish you lived closer. I'd have you ride over and I'd weld it up for you and we could sandblast it and re-powder coat it a super cool custom color.