PDA

View Full Version : KPM200 Scrambler Build

Coloradogoose
09-17-2021, 03:01 PM
I've mentioned this is another thread or two so I decided to start my own thread on this so I don't hijak anyone else's.

This is going to be a pretty long process as I already have a ton of stuff on my plate, but I decided I just didn't want to wait to get started. I haven't decided how far I'm going to go with it yet, but I know that I want it to be more capable on dirt than it is now. We have a TON of dirt roads around here and that's where most of my riding is.

So far the bike is torn down and airbox is out. Air Injection and Evap can are stripped. Exhaust is cut apart and re-welded into a mid-mount. The metal holders for the passenger pegs have been cut down, and a bunch of the frame mounts for the plastic parts have been cut off. The new rear tire is on the rim (background of the pic). Still working on what I'm going to do to protect the air filter in bad weather, and what sort of setup I'm going to do for a rear fender. Once I've got the rear put back together I'll focus on the front. I have a rock guard for the headlight, aux lights to go on the fork, a new front tire, and then I'll see how I like the existing front fender with the rest of the mods. I'll update as I go.

Coloradogoose
09-23-2021, 01:18 PM
Got a few hours to work on things last night. Got the aluminum peg holders re-installed after being chopped and painted. Sub-frame is back in place. Pegs from a KLR650 are installed. Sitting where the seat goes is a battery and electronics box that I'm making out of Kydex. The shape is mostly there, I just need to take the time to mount it. Once in place it can barely be seen so should keep the look super clean.

After some internal debate, I think I'm going to keep the rear fender. I can see why people take it off, but I like the look for a scrambler. It's the front fender that I'd like to do something about, but that will be after I finish with the back end.

The new rear tire has a little clearance, and as I put more miles on the bike the chain should stretch enough to give it a little more room. I also went down to a 15T on the sprocket up front.

New front tire should be here today (Conti TKC80). Battery and K&N air filter will be here Sat. I've taken the time to cut all the metal mounts off the frame to give it a cleaner look and I will cover the bare spots by airbrushing some fresh black paint on over the shiny metal.

It still isn't looking like much, but I'm optimistic that I'll be able to get the box mounted and paint done next week. At that point I can start moving the electronics into the box and start buttoning up the rear end.

Coloradogoose
09-26-2021, 12:50 AM
Had some time last night so I was able to get the front tire mounted. Conti TKC80 in a 120/70 17. It was a tough one, but eventually inflated and seated OK. Clears the front fender by about an inch. Still not sure if I'm going to change out the front fender or leave it as is.

K&N filter arrived and is a perfect fit right on the throttle body. It should flow more air that the cone filter I had on in the early pics. I had that left over from another build, but decided at 7,400 feet of elevation the extra air flow of the K&N was worth it.

New battery is a good fit in the homemade battery box. It'll save me some room so I can stash the rest of the electronics that are normally covered by the plastics. The goal is to hide as much as possible to give it as simple of a look as I can.

Hopefully get some time this week to work on it more. I'll snap a fresh pic when I can. With the two big block style tires the bike is starting to look the part. We have more than twice as many dirt roads as we do paved roads here so this bike should make for a super fun dirt road ripper once it's done. I realize I could have just tossed the new tires on and called it done, but what's the fun in that!?

Falkon45
09-26-2021, 09:19 PM
Hey, of you can, can you take weight off the bike and measure the shock?

Coloradogoose
09-26-2021, 10:17 PM
What measurements do you need? Eye to eye? Spring length? I may just pull the whole shock so I can paint the spring. I'll try to get to it on Weds this week. Will post measurements in the KPM info thread.

Falkon45
09-27-2021, 01:35 AM
Eye to eye will do for now. That'll give me a good baseline for replacement shocks

Coloradogoose
09-30-2021, 12:19 AM
Finished the battery box tonight and was able to do a temp fit of the seat and tank to see about how the final product will look. Need to finish cleanup on the bare metal where I cut tabs off and paint those spots, arrange all the electronics in the battery box, mount the silencer, cleanup and wrap the exhaust, and the address the front end. I'll swap the mirrors out and ditch the windscreen in favor of a headlight guard and add some aux lighting. I have a few wire extensions that need to happen and the brake reservoir needs a new spot as well, but that's all easy stuff. Would love to get it wrapped before the snow flies, but living in Colorado that may or may not happen.

Falkon45
10-27-2021, 12:21 PM
for the rear reservoir, if you're willing to do what the racers do, A single piece of clear tubing will be fine for the rear brake. You delete the reservoir, and don't have to worry about mounting anymore.

Coloradogoose
10-30-2021, 02:53 AM
for the rear reservoir, if you're willing to do what the racers do, A single piece of clear tubing will be fine for the rear brake. You delete the reservoir, and don't have to worry about mounting anymore.
That's a great idea! Though I already bought an aluminum replacement reservoir that's anodized black. I ended up drilling a small hole in the square part of the frame at the bottom, tapping the hole, and mounting the reservoir there. Came out ok. I fired it up tonight for the first time since I started this mod. I still have some cosmetic work to do, and I want to fab a skid plate, but it's ready to ride again, which is nice. I'll post a pic of two of the mostly finished product when I get a chance.