PDA

View Full Version : Brixton BX125: How to open crank case on the clutch side?

brixtonrider
10-06-2021, 12:28 PM
I own a Brixton BX125. When unscrewing the oil dipstick it broke off and fell inside the crank case on the clutch side.

I'm now trying to open the crank case cover so i can remove the bits of plastic that - for sure - can damage a lot of things if left in there.

The service manual says just undo the bolts and the crank case cover will come off. But it doesn't. How much force should i apply to it, and more importantly, how? Is there a trick to removing this cover on the clutch side? It doesn't budge at all no matter how hard i pull on it.

Really appreciate any hints here.

Falkon45
10-06-2021, 02:21 PM
You need to remove all the bolts, looking at that picture. Also, pull the clutch rod out before you remove the cover.

brixtonrider
10-06-2021, 02:45 PM
Yes, there's all out, i just left them halfway in for the picture. Cover won't budge.

Clutch rod out? How do i do that?

Falkon45
10-06-2021, 03:40 PM
See that arm on the top of the clutch cover? Pull that straight up.

franque
10-06-2021, 08:49 PM
Eh, I wouldn't recommend pulling it straight up, but rather pulling it towards the front of the bike, the clutch rod. For these engines, doesn't really come out that way, nor does it need to be removed. It's probably just stuck on the dowel pins. If that doesn't get it free, put some tension on the clutch arm (pulling forward, again) and give it some taps with a big piece of wood, all the way around. It should come right off.

braindead0
10-06-2021, 11:39 PM
Gentle tapping with a rubber mallet should free up the case, you can also try pulling the clutch lever.

brixtonrider
10-07-2021, 05:29 AM
I did it!

Thanks for all your suggestions. Ended up bashing those two ears quite hard, then it let go and came off easily.

The plastic dipstick was broken in 3 (!!) pieces. Probably cooked by the oil?
Definitely they could have used metal or engineered this like everybody else, with a tiny level window down below. But yes, i get it, cost.

Anyway, catastrophe averted.

braindead0
10-07-2021, 08:40 AM
Excellent! They probably used the wrong type of plastic, it's a problem with manufacturing in China... they tend to substitute similar materials such as rubber for neoprene which often causes early failures... some plastics aren't designed to survive heat/oil.

culcune
10-07-2021, 10:32 PM
I am surprised it has not been recommended on this forum to simply ditch the stock dipstick altogether as this is not the first I have heard of, and my guess is it will not be the last.

david3921
10-08-2021, 05:31 AM
I did it!

Thanks for all your suggestions. Ended up bashing those two ears quite hard, then it let go and came off easily.

The plastic dipstick was broken in 3 (!!) pieces. Probably cooked by the oil?
Definitely they could have used metal or engineered this like everybody else, with a tiny level window down below. But yes, i get it, cost.

Anyway, catastrophe averted.

Maybe it's possible to find a cover that it fits that has the sight window. That way you can just get a plug and "ditch the stick". If not, I would look for a dip stick the has a metal rod as an indicator.