PDA

View Full Version : To anyone ordering from CSC...

ChopperCharles
11-08-2021, 09:06 AM
If you're getting anything other than an RX4, I have bad news. There are not enough long-haul truck drivers available, so the shipping company is using the rail system. My SG400 has been stuck in Shreveport, LA for the last 9 days.

The rail system? They don't have enough carriages for all the cargo they're shipping.

This also means more points for a forklift to move the bike, and more chances for damage.

Charles.

DualSportDude
11-08-2021, 09:50 AM
That sucks, but I would feel better about the rail system. Trucking companies don't give a crap about what's in the crate. My TT250 was on it's side all the way from CA. Clutch lever was broken, oil & gas all in the airbox. I'm not blaming CSC at all, they are great from a customer service standpoint. But trucking companies in general totally ignore "this side up" stickers and only care about cramming as many pallets as they can get in a trailer.

JerryHawk250
11-08-2021, 10:03 AM
It's a California Issue. My Brother In Law is a truck Driver and California won't even allow him to pick up or deliver there because he's from out of state. BTW, if it's a motorcycle he will make sure it doesn't get damaged on his clock. He's a die hard motorcycle guy like most of us. lol

ChopperCharles
11-08-2021, 09:04 PM
If I haven't updated here, it means my bike still hasn't moved from Shreveport, LA.

Charles.

ChopperCharles
11-08-2021, 11:44 PM
Latest update: Per the Rail coordinator, this freight is moving by Union Pacific Rail and is due to arrive to the (charlotte) terminal on 11/12.

Working_ZS
11-09-2021, 12:00 PM
Probably should have had CSC break the bike down and stuff it in a set of large roller luggage so you could of taken it with you as checked baggage, lol.

This shortage of truck drivers is really bringing things to a head in this logistics logjam we're suffering right now. Helpful hint to the trucking companies - pay your damn drivers what they're worth, both to you and all of the rest of us. Everything that we eat, wear, use, need, and want comes to us via a truck at some point in its journey. Considering that, I think that they should be paid a lot more than the current average of $47,000 a year, especially considering the crap hours, incessant unpaid time waiting for loading and unloading, and total lack of family life. There should be a one in front of that forty-seven, IMO.

Its_not_a_honda
11-10-2021, 05:09 AM
Probably should have had CSC break the bike down and stuff it in a set of large roller luggage so you could of taken it with you as checked baggage, lol.

This shortage of truck drivers is really bringing things to a head in this logistics logjam we're suffering right now. Helpful hint to the trucking companies - pay your damn drivers what they're worth, both to you and all of the rest of us. Everything that we eat, wear, use, need, and want comes to us via a truck at some point in its journey. Considering that, I think that they should be paid a lot more than the current average of $47,000 a year, especially considering the crap hours, incessant unpaid time waiting for loading and unloading, and total lack of family life. There should be a one in front of that forty-seven, IMO.

I agree with the pay. In all business, the people doing the actual work make the least money. Why?
The trucker shortage is not all it is made out to be though. California has some of the craziest rules for trucks now. I'm not gonna list them all but let's just say "stupid as heck". I believe it is on purpose for some kind of power grab. I hope it backfires for the country's sake. There is some weird people in elected positions right now. Hopefully we can correct it again in 2024.

ChopperCharles
11-11-2021, 10:34 AM
It's STILL in Louisiana. Now they're saying tomorrow it should be in Charlotte, but at this point I don't believe any of them have a clue when it will actually move.

Charles.

JerryHawk250
11-11-2021, 10:50 AM
It's STILL in Louisiana. Now they're saying tomorrow it should be in Charlotte, but at this point I don't believe any of them have a clue when it will actually move.

Charles.
I finished riding it yesterday. lol It's on it's way. ;)

renovate7
11-14-2021, 05:19 PM
I had a DF250RTD leave CA on 10/28 by Fedex LTL with a promised arrival date of 11/9. It did in fact arrive on Tuesday. Fedex said it came across country by train and that is their normal mode of transportation for big items like this. I was able to track it on the Fedex sight as it moved. It came off the lift gate with a pallet jack and the Driver brought it right into my garage. Tuesday was a good day.

Working_ZS
11-14-2021, 09:18 PM
I had a DF250RTD leave CA on 10/28 by Fedex LTL with a promised arrival date of 11/9. It did in fact arrive on Tuesday. Fedex said it came across country by train and that is their normal mode of transportation for big items like this. I was able to track it on the Fedex sight as it moved. It came off the lift gate with a pallet jack and the Driver brought it right into my garage. Tuesday was a good day.

Key words here are 'normal mode of operation'. For a big operation like FedEx, they use several modes of transport in order to have resilience in their operations, while a smaller operation like RoadRunner Transportation, as well as other small LTL shippers, are forced to be a one trick ponies, since resilience costs money and requires a degree of scale that they don't have. Sending as much volume as they do, no way Union Pacific is going to give FedEx the shaft; I guarantee that their freight has priority over everybody else's.

david3921
11-15-2021, 06:43 AM
I finished riding it yesterday. lol It's on it's way. ;)

As I started reading this thread I was wondering "Why not just ask Jerry to go get it for you?"

ChopperCharles
11-16-2021, 09:28 AM
It's been stuck in Shreveport, LA now for 18 days.

Charles.

Falkon45
11-16-2021, 10:40 AM
Lol. If i was still working offshore, I'd have tried to see if I could swing by, and pick it up for you.

ChopperCharles
11-19-2021, 12:58 AM
I checked tonight and it’s FINALLY in Charlotte, NC. Let means I should be expecting a call soon!

Charles.

ChopperCharles
11-19-2021, 01:02 AM
Shipped 10/27, made it to nc in 22 days. We will see if the truck portion goes fast, or if it will end up being a whole month

Working_ZS
11-19-2021, 11:09 AM
I checked tonight and it’s FINALLY in Charlotte, NC. Let means I should be expecting a call soon!

Charles.

Yep, that will be the call to explain the driver shortage to you again, and that it will be another month or so before they can get a driver and chassis to the rail yard to pick up the container that it's in, lol.

I have to say Charles, you really are a magnet for misfortune. Whatever it is - if it can go south, and you're involved - it will. You must have done something really awful in another life, so now the powers that be are punishing you.:D

Working_ZS
11-19-2021, 11:13 AM
Shipped 10/27, made it to nc in 22 days. We will see if the truck portion goes fast, or if it will end up being a whole month

When I ordered my RX3 from CSC back in 2015, it was at the start of December, the bike shipped out on the 10th and was delivered on Christmas Eve. What a difference six years and a viral pandemic can make.

65cabriolet
11-19-2021, 12:01 PM
OK, this isn't going to help you get your bike, but know you are not alone.

I ordered my bike, it shipped the next day. In 1 day it was within about 20 miles of my home... 1 week later it got delivered to my door.

Not a wait like yours, but just as frustrating knowing it was so close yet not in my garage.

ChopperCharles
11-19-2021, 01:26 PM
Yep, that will be the call to explain the driver shortage to you again, and that it will be another month or so before they can get a driver and chassis to the rail yard to pick up the container that it's in, lol.

I have to say Charles, you really are a magnet for misfortune. Whatever it is - if it can go south, and you're involved - it will. You must have done something really awful in another life, so now the powers that be are punishing you.:D

Hah, must be.

But I will say, I've had zero problems with my Benelli Leoncino Trail. 7000 miles on the clock now and it's still my favorite all-around motorcycle, on-road and off.

Charles.

Working_ZS
11-19-2021, 05:31 PM
Hah, must be.

But I will say, I've had zero problems with my Benelli Leoncino Trail. 7000 miles on the clock now and it's still my favorite all-around motorcycle, on-road and off.

Charles.

Ah yes, the joys of owning more than one motorcycle. Being able to pull out another bike and go ride when one or more of them are down is pretty much priceless. At least it makes it a little more palatable when that yearly $1300 insurance bill arrives in December. :hehe:

I've hit 5000 miles on the RX4, so it needs to have the valves checked, which has caused me to limit riding it until I get that done. Also, I need to pop open the RX3's valve cover for a look, install a new Polaris series type voltage regulator/rectifier, plus swap out the front wheel and tire with the new wheel that I bought from CSC for $25. So it is/has been sitting, too. The Gold Wing and Versys 650 are buried in the garage at the moment, and I do not feel like digging them out; while the TT250 is still in pieces for a digital dash, upgraded wheels, Polaris regulator like the RX3, heated grips and a few other doodads.

This has left me with the SG400, which I last used for a bank deposit run Wednesday. The more that I ride it, the more that TC380 engine impresses me. The TEC shocks have also made a world of difference when throwing it into curves, especially when the pavement is not smooth. No wallowing, and those wheels stay in contact with the asphalt , no matter what. Way more reassuring than it was. Wind protection is lacking for this time of the year, but that is totally expected for a naked cafe style bike and not something that I can complain about legitimately. It will be better when I get the heated grips and hand guards mounted, although I still don't foresee much winter riding on it - that is what the RX3 and Rx4 are for.

ChopperCharles
11-19-2021, 09:50 PM
$1300 insurance bill? Where do you live??!? I pay between $50 and $150 a bike. A year.

Charles

Chris_Top_Her
11-20-2021, 02:29 AM
$1300 insurance bill? Where do you live??!? I pay between $50 and $150 a bike. A year.

Charles

For what type of coverage.. sounds like liability only

ChopperCharles
11-20-2021, 11:51 AM
So I wasn’t completely accurate. Here are the actual numbers. Full coverage on my Yamaha scr950 was $123.56. My rx3 has liability only, and costs me $14.43. My 2017 Buccaneer has full coverage and costs me $30.83. Benelli is $111.76 for full coverage. That’s $279 a half. Times two is 558 a year. But I get a discount because my homeowners insurance is through the same company.

Working_ZS
11-20-2021, 12:00 PM

Charles

The $1300 is for full coverage, with $500,000 At Fault Liability and $500,000 Uninsured / Under Insured Liability coverage. I'll never cause that much damage with one of my motorcycles, short of strapping a bomb to myself and launching me and the bike off a ramp into an oil tanker, but you can't purchase Uninsured / Under Insured coverage with limits higher than your at fault personal liability limit, so I'm stuck paying for the high coverage on the former to get the same coverage limit on the latter.

As to the reason for those coverage amounts, both my brother and a close friend have been involved in serious car accidents where the other driver did not have anywhere near high enough policy limits to cover their medical bills, much less cover any ongoing pain and suffering, of which there has been plenty. Both are still dealing with the after effects of those accidents, nine and three years later, respectively.

I should also mention that $650 of that is for the damn Versys 650, which I hardly ever ride. Apparently, riding a motorcycle from a mainstream manufacturer necessitates paying a premium for the privilege; I really need to sell that damn thing, it is nowhere near as good as the reviews claimed, and all it is doing at this point is costing me money for no return. I get far more enjoyment out of my Chinese bikes, and at a fraction of the cost of the Japanese stuff.

Working_ZS
11-20-2021, 12:08 PM
So I wasn’t completely accurate. Here are the actual numbers. Full coverage on my Yamaha scr950 was $123.56. My rx3 has liability only, and costs me $14.43. My 2017 Buccaneer has full coverage and costs me $30.83. Benelli is $111.76 for full coverage. That’s $279 a half. Times two is 558 a year. But I get a discount because my homeowners insurance is through the same company.

Another benefit of "official Chinese bikes" is the low insurance premiums - note how the officially Italian, but really "secret Chinese bike" - your Benelli - has the same high premiums as your Yamaha, while your RX3 and Buccaneer cost a pittance to insure.

Yet another reason to avoid over priced European and Japanese motorcycles: avoiding overpriced insurance premiums.

ChopperCharles
11-21-2021, 06:50 PM
I believe it's more about how much the vehicle is worth, and thus the cost to replace it. My Buccaneer is probably a $1500 bike now, after 4 years and 12k miles.

Charles.

ChopperCharles
11-22-2021, 04:03 PM
Got a call today. My bike will be delivered wednesday. The day before Thanksgiving! So I'll have it for the whole long weekend.

Charles.